PDA

View Full Version : issue with OEM wheels

03ozwhip
04-09-2015, 07:51 PM
I pit my summer wheels on last night and they were really wobbly, so I parked it and took the car over to fountain tire to check the torque and see if that would fix it.

Apparently it didn't, so they say that some of my bolt holes are "oblong" very minimally, but it is making the wheels wobble and so they would t put them back on.

Ive never heard of this, but if it's true, is it fixable at a wheel repair place?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Unfortunatly yes it can happen and usually leaving bolts loose or them becoming loose at some point is what does it. As far as I know replacement is the only option.

03ozwhip
04-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Thanks man, bad news lol Anyone else have an opinion? Pm'd tirebob for his view on this...

benyl
04-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Unfortunatly yes it can happen and usually leaving bolts loose or them becoming loose at some point is what does it. As far as I know replacement is the only option.

This makes no sense to me.

OEM wheels should be hubcentric and not rely on the bolts to center the wheel.

I could be wrong.

pheoxs
04-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Stupid question, are you using the correct lug nuts for the wheels? Some OEM wheels use different lug nuts than the typical tapered aftermarket ones.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by benyl

This makes no sense to me.

OEM wheels should be hubcentric and not rely on the bolts to center the wheel.

I could be wrong.

Yes but how loose could they have gotten? And remember the twisting force could cause the bolts to oblong the holes on either side because hubcentric or not something has take the rotational force from the hub to wheel.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
Stupid question, are you using the correct lug nuts for the wheels? Some OEM wheels use different lug nuts than the typical tapered aftermarket ones.

I believe his car uses bolts not nuts if it's a BMW.

tirebob
04-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Oblonged lug holes will not cause a wheel to wobble just because they are oblonged... OEM wheels sit hub-centric which will keep it turning true, so long as the wheel is tight against the hub. Now if the lugs are coming loose while driving, the loose wheel will of course wobble, but it isn't the oblong lug holes causing the wobble...