PDA

View Full Version : Nu Sushi Burger

quick_scar
04-10-2015, 07:22 AM
GF went with some friends recently. Horrible experience. Here is her side:

I will never being going back to Nu Sushi Burger. Probably the worst dining experience I have ever had in my life. Ran out of so many things, including freaking potatoes, their poor server was in charge of every table and was overwhelmed, and they served me a burger with nuts in it with no mention on the menu of nuts. Someone I was with tried the burger and their mouth swelled up from the walnuts, hives and all. They apologized but also blamed us for not mentioning his nut allergy. I am sorry but if you serve a TOFU burger and say the burger is made of tofu and don't mention anything else, you're in the wrong.

From what she told me it was 20 min wait for drinks. Bunch of items on the printed menu have already been scratched and are no longer available. Ran out of potatoes so gave them all yam fries instead. Something tells me if they don't clean up their act pretty quick they wont be around a year from now.

Neil4Speed
04-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by quick_scar
They apologized but also blamed us for not mentioning his nut allergy. I am sorry but if you serve a TOFU burger and say the burger is made of tofu and don't mention anything else, you're in the wrong.

You should always disclose your allergies prior to ordering.

Mitsu3000gt
04-10-2015, 09:13 AM
You ALWAYS disclose allergies, as the restaurant can't possibly know everyone's allergies or their severity. Even if the food doesn't contain nuts or whatever, it may have come in contact with them or have traces of them from cooking tools, storage, etc. That one is on her for sure, but it doesn't sound like a great place to be anyway.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but I can't help but feel like someone who is angry at the restaurant for not being able to read their mind would also likely be exaggerating their other grievances, as people often do when they feel "wronged". Still, if they were out of everything, that would suck. If I could see that half their menu was scratched out, I probably would have left before ordering anyway.

bjstare
04-10-2015, 09:13 AM
:werd: to the allergy part - if a person has serious allergies, they're pretty stupid for not disclosing that.

The rest of the review is good info though, thanks for posting. I was thinking of trying it out before I read it. Definitely going to wait and see if they settle in or remain shitty before I go there.

killramos
04-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Another +1, if you have an allergy or severe food aversion its up to you to disclose it.

You never know what the secret ingredient in something will be. Great example is gluten, they stuff wheat ingredients in tons of shit that you wouldn't suspect. If you assume you are eventually going to have a bad time.

The_Rural_Juror
04-10-2015, 09:18 AM
I don't know this place and am not affiliated, but you should probably speak up if you going to die because of an ingredient. Less than 1% of people have nut allergies. Can't expect the rest of the population to cater to you. I am allergic to people like you. Less playground zones please.

flipstah
04-10-2015, 09:18 AM
So you fucked up and it's a new restaurant.

General rule: Go a month or two after opening to work the kinks out.

wildrice
04-10-2015, 07:19 PM
went 2 days ago and didn't have any issues with my experience there at all. Brought food out in a reasonable time and tasted really great. would definitely go again.

rx7_turbo2
04-10-2015, 09:04 PM
I have a nut allergy, depending on what I order I may or may not mention it. However the reality is I should always mention it. If I don't mention it and I got something with nuts in it 100% of the blame is on me.

BigMass
04-10-2015, 09:05 PM
ran out of potatoes and gave them yam fries. Sounds like a good deal. Place is new and working out kinks, big deal. If it's good food i'll definitely go check em out after they get settled

I feel bad for your friend and the allergy incident but a chef might use 50 ingredients in a dish. It's not all going to be listed on the menu. Most menus actually state, "inform waiter of any allergies" for this very reason.

max_boost
04-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Ya bro no one knows if you are allergic to msg etc. but of course the consumer is ALWAYS right.

Did they comp anything?

ppl get so worked up and emo over things.

buh_buh
04-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Been there twice. First time service was great, second time service was so-so. Thought the food was pretty decent, good enough for a return go.

Your friend has an allergy and doesn't tell the restaurant? Can't blame the restaurant for not knowing.

Speed_69
04-11-2015, 04:13 PM
OP's rant about person's own fault for not disclosing allergies did not discourage me at all from trying this place. Like another person posted earlier, the place is new too, so give them a break on not having everything correct like all the menu items available. I'd be super glad to get yam fries instead of regular fries for the same price.

Went here for lunch today. They just didn't have one appetizer item available. Tried the Kebab corn dog, the 'going' burgushi and the 'one roll' sushi. Everything tasted pretty good and service was excellent. Got drinks within 2 min of ordering and got checked on several times. If you want just sushi, I would go to a regular sushi restaurant instead though. Overall, I would go back. :thumbsup:

bleu
04-11-2015, 05:03 PM
I've driven by it a few times. I would try it out of curiosity. I went to a Mexican Sushi restaurant in SoHo a few weeks ago...it was pretty different...in a non-enjoyable way.

TopNotch
05-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Went on Friday and the Jerk chicken burger with fries and house ketchup were amazing. The Russian Roulette sushi rolls were also pretty bomb along with the provided Sake shot. Will definitely be back soon!

riander5
05-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar
GF went with some friends recently. Horrible experience. Here is her side:

I will never being going back to Nu Sushi Burger. Probably the worst dining experience I have ever had in my life. Ran out of so many things, including freaking potatoes, their poor server was in charge of every table and was overwhelmed, and they served me a burger with nuts in it with no mention on the menu of nuts. Someone I was with tried the burger and their mouth swelled up from the walnuts, hives and all. They apologized but also blamed us for not mentioning his nut allergy. I am sorry but if you serve a TOFU burger and say the burger is made of tofu and don't mention anything else, you're in the wrong.

From what she told me it was 20 min wait for drinks. Bunch of items on the printed menu have already been scratched and are no longer available. Ran out of potatoes so gave them all yam fries instead. Something tells me if they don't clean up their act pretty quick they wont be around a year from now.

Sounds like if you bubble boys dont clean up your act and start disclosing serious allergies YOU wont be around in a year from now :rofl:

max_boost
05-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by TopNotch
Went on Friday and the Jerk chicken burger with fries and house ketchup were amazing. The Russian Roulette sushi rolls were also pretty bomb along with the provided Sake shot. Will definitely be back soon! A top notch experience. Look forward to trying these guys on the weekend!

Manhattan
05-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Aside from the allergies, Calgary is full of PRETENTIOUS and OVER-PRICED restaurants these days. :thumbsdow

flipstah
05-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Aside from the allergies, Calgary is full of PRETENTIOUS and OVER-PRICED restaurants these days. :thumbsdow

That's because people are still willing to pay $$ for it.

It's the nature of the beast.

ercchry
05-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

That's because people are still willing to pay $$ for it.

It's the nature of the beast.

sounds like its priced right to me then :rofl:

...blame commercial lease rates, $20+/sqft

suntan
05-25-2015, 02:20 PM
As someone with a daughter that has a walnut/pecan allergy, we disclose because holy shit places like to use walnuts and pecans in stuff without mentioning it.

sputnik
05-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ya bro no one knows if you are allergic to msg etc. but of course the consumer is ALWAYS right.

There is no such thing as an MSG allergy.

flipstah
05-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

There is no such thing as an MSG allergy.

More like dependency than allergy.

max_boost
05-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

There is no such thing as an MSG allergy. I know that. Spread the awareness to your fellow white people.

ercchry
05-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I know that. Spread the awareness to your fellow white people.

white people only love MSG when they dont know its MSG... parmesan, dry aged beef, tomatoes, etc :rofl:

clem24
06-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan

Thank you. Glad I am not the only one who notices.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/391792/edmonton-named-one-of-nat-geo-top-summer-destinations/

Also coming into this thread, I still have no fucking clue what this place is about.. WTF is a Nu Sushi Burger??

Sounds like I'll be sticking to Five Guys.. :D

l/l/rX
06-02-2015, 06:11 PM
IMO... this place is not very good. Went once for convenience sake, won't ever be back.

Dertz
06-04-2015, 01:49 PM
The place might be new, but I would expect that the people involved may have experience, or is it that easy for inexperienced people to jump into businesses and serve up allergic reactions?

My colleague had helped the owner design a banging sound system in there and they soft cocked on us and backed out and they took the design and bought shitty equipment.
So in respect to his efforts cause I love the guy, I hope they burn :D :guns:

FYI I heard they were copying a concept from a place in Toronto.