PDA

View Full Version : Review: Barcelona Tavern

Mitsu3000gt
04-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Might as well write a review while visiting this section haha.

Because their menu looks absolutely amazing, I decided to try out Barcelona Tavern with some work colleagues. It is in the old Belgo building, which is absolutely enormous and 2 stories for those who may not know.

I was there for lunch, but the menu appeared to be the same for Lunch/Dinner.

Ambiance/Decor - No issues really, I don't care much about what the place looks like if the food is good. The only thing I would mention is because it's so huge, if it's busy, it's very loud.

Service - Average. It was busy (lunch time and a new restaurant). Drink waits were 10ish minutes but I actually prefer long wait times if the company is good. Reservation was for 11:45, we weren't eating our entrees until closer to 1pm. Again, since the place is so huge, the servers had to walk super far to the bar, kitchen, and computers (why they didn't have more than one computer location I have no idea).

Food - Pretty poor. I won't be back. Again, the menu looks absolutely amazing, but it was a huge letdown. While I was excited about the menu, when I learned it was in the old Belgo building, I was nervous because very few large restaurants are any good. We had the veal meatballs to start, which were small, dry, and very salty. I then decided to have their "House Special" which is the "Chef's special seafood chorizo paella". It came out on a hot skillet, and the bottom layer of risotto was charred black to the skillet and not really edible. The seafood was extremely sparse, small, poorly cooked, and seemingly very low quality (like from a frozen bag or something). I thought they forgot to put chorizo in it, but later found out that some of the burnt pieces stuck to the bottom of the skillet were in fact the chorizo. I assumed there would be slices of chorizo in it, but it was more like shavings, which is why they burnt I guess. Lastly the risotto was so salty I couldn't finish what wasn't burnt.

The people I was with had the seared tuna as well, and they said it was quite bad. I didn't try it.

I have since heard it is a Moxies spinoff, but I can't confirm that. It might explain the lack of quality though. It's just too big of a restaurant, and based on the quality of the food, they are just trying to maximize margins it seems. The menu looks so good, but it was a huge letdown. I would recommend avoiding that place.

Also, again since it's so enormous, I've got to believe they really suffer when it's not packed. I wouldn't expect it to be around for too long, since it wasn't great, and anything in the DT core isn't going to be that busy except for 1 hour 5 times a week unless it's extremely good.

KRyn
04-10-2015, 09:58 AM
I have been to this place twice. Once for lunch with some coworkers and another time for a corporate function. When I was there for lunch my meal was average at best. I had the seared tuna and it was nothing to write home about, as to be expected here in Alberta. My experience differed substantially when I was there later in the month for a corporate function. They had a number of stations setup throughout their establishment, each serving different food. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the food was presented and everything was rather tasty. The service that evening was excellent and overall I had a good time. Overall I am not really sure what to make of this place?

killramos
04-10-2015, 10:06 AM
My opinion is you need to weed through their menu significantly to find the good stuff. I dont enjoy many of their "Fusion" takes on traditional tapas dishes.

I expect to get a knife in the side for being critical since i know someone who works in the kitchen.:rofl:

Personally i prefer ox and angela. :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
04-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by killramos

Personally i prefer ox and angela. :dunno:

Yeah Ox and Angela or somewhere like Candela is night and day better if you want Tapas. You're basically comparing a Moxies-quality restaurant 4 or 5 times as large with a proper, small, high-end restaurant focused on quality. That's my impression anyway. I really enjoyed both Candela & Ox and Angela. Candela got rid of my favorite menu item though!

taemo
04-10-2015, 01:55 PM
found Barcelona to be a disappointment as well, especially their paella, a little too dry and not enough ingredient in it

also, never really under stood the fascination with tapas, why pay more for less food:rofl:

killramos
04-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by taemo

also, never really under stood the fascination with tapas, why pay more for less food:rofl:

Because its a delicious and social experience.

You aren't supposed to gorge yourself on tapas lol

taemo
04-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Because its a delicious and social experience.

You aren't supposed to gorge yourself on tapas lol

true, just the asian in me, when we go eat outside with family or friends, at the end we should be full and stuffed :rofl:

i don't mind tapas as after all they are just appetizers, probably just left a sour note to me when we went in Kauai, ordered tapas braised pork belly, 2 slices of pork for over $15
it's definitely a fun way to try different type of food

Mitsu3000gt
04-10-2015, 05:15 PM
found Barcelona to be a disappointment as well, especially their paella, a little too dry and not enough ingredient in it

I hate committing to one or two dishes, because at a good restaurant I usually want to try half the menu haha. Tapas is a good way to try 5 or 6 things (or more in a big group) without wasting food. Really good Tapas places are my favorite places to eat, but there are so few.

Sushi is appealing in kind of the same way - go with 2+ people and order 4 or 5 different rolls or sashimi instead of all the same thing.

What restaurant was that in Kauai?

taemo
04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I hate committing to one or two dishes, because at a good restaurant I usually want to try half the menu haha. Tapas is a good way to try 5 or 6 things (or more in a big group) without wasting food. Really good Tapas places are my favorite places to eat, but there are so few.

Sushi is appealing in kind of the same way - go with 2+ people and order 4 or 5 different rolls or sashimi instead of all the same thing.

What restaurant was that in Kauai?

it was Josselin's Tapas down in Poipu

Mitsu3000gt
04-14-2015, 01:08 PM

it was Josselin's Tapas down in Poipu

I've never been to that restaurant, but the best Tapas I've had there is at Baracuda in Hanalei.

Neil4Speed
04-14-2015, 01:13 PM
I work in the building right beside it, so go there pretty often.

I find their burgers (Chirozo) to be excellent, as well as their Tomato Soup and sides.

Lobster Ravioli was also superb last time I got it.

Excellent Gin Martini's as well, the one with Kiwi was really balanced and refreshing.

taemo
04-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I've never been to that restaurant, but the best Tapas I've had there is at Baracuda in Hanalei.

my go to eatery down in Hanalei is L&L :rofl:
quickly checked Baracuda though and their menu looks great, will give it a try next time we go back to Kauai.

I was looking at my review of Josselin tapas on Tripadvisor and we had the tuna w/ risotto ($30) and 36hours braised pork belly ($30) and neither were great or filling.

BMDUBS
04-14-2015, 05:19 PM
I will go as far as saying this place is garbage. Food was terrible as I went for dinner and drinks. I had grilled cheese and it was brutal. Over done and dried out bread and besides, who effs up grilled cheese? I was in a hurry so I didn't send it back but I saw 2 other tables sending their food back and one was also the grilled cheese!

Moxies is superior and I wont be going back.

Feruk
04-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Honestly, if you're going to be a "Spanish" restaurant, maybe you should learn to make a Payella properly? Pretty much the fundamental dish in Spanish cooking... Barcelona's Payella is greasy and disgusting. Beer selection was decent, but the food was so bad that I won't be going back for lunch.

CompletelyNumb
04-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Best tapas I've had were in Madrid. And not just because you get them for free there with every caņa you order. :burnout: charging for tapas is absurd to me.