PDA

View Full Version : When is Cheryl's birthday?

Cos
04-15-2015, 11:42 AM

D'z Nutz
04-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Cheryl will be wearing a black and blue dress to the party.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Damn that's tricky - here's my answer:

If Albert knows Bernard doesn't know, that means the month told to Albert does not contain a unique date (18th or 19th) so that eliminates May and June.

If Bernard knows May and June have been eliminated and that gives him enough info to know the birthday, it means that the birthday date must not be shared by July and August, eliminating July 14th and August 14th.

If the elimination of those two days give Albert enough information to solidify the date, it must mean that the month told to him is the only one remaining that only has a single date left - that is, it must be July 16th.

Great puzzle!

My_name_is_Rob
04-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Cheryl will be wearing a black and blue dress to the party.

And she will walk up the stairs.

colinxx235
04-15-2015, 12:08 PM
thats a good little riddle, took a few seconds of thinking

Tik-Tok
04-15-2015, 12:37 PM
I was too hung up on being a grammar nazi to concentrate on the riddle :rofl:

"At first I don't know..."? :whipped:

ercchry
04-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I was too hung up on being a grammar nazi to concentrate on the riddle :rofl:

"At first I don't know..."? :whipped:

i think the FOB-ieness of it is what made it a real challenge. its like that math question that was missing operations :nut:

ga16i
04-15-2015, 02:16 PM
My take on it is:
- Albert and Bernard wants to know Cheryl's birthday.
- Cheryl gives both of them a list of 10 possible dates, but does not specify that any of them are in fact her birthday, just a list of 10 possible dates.
- Cheryl tells Albert the month of her birthday.
- Cheryl tells Bernard the day of her birthday.
- Albert states that Albert does not know Cheryl's birthday and Albert also knows Bernard does not know.
- Bernard states that he did not know at first, but currently knows Cheryl's birthday.
- Albert states that Albert knows Cheryl's birthday.

No where does it say that Albert and Bernard exchanged any sort of information beyond the three line conversation. Albert states that both he and Bernard do not know Cheryl's birthday. The next sentence that Albert speaks states that he (Albert) does know Cheryl's birthday. In order for that to happen, Bernard must have known Cheryl's birthday and told Albert, but that is not the case. Bernard only states that he (Bernard) currently knows Cheryl's birthday. So, therefore the only logical conclusion is that Albert is a lying sack of $@#!.

baygirl
04-15-2015, 02:58 PM
May 19

Damnit, according to google I am wrong:-(

JustinL
04-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Damn that's tricky - here's my answer:

If Albert knows Bernard doesn't know, that means the month told to Albert does not contain a unique date (18th or 19th) so that eliminates May and June.

If Bernard knows May and June have been eliminated and that gives him enough info to know the birthday, it means that the birthday date must not be shared by July and August, eliminating July 14th and August 14th.

If the elimination of those two days give Albert enough information to solidify the date, it must mean that the month told to him is the only one remaining that only has a single date left - that is, it must be July 16th.

Great puzzle!

Same logic I used and same answer I got.

Swank
04-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Why would Cheryl even talk to someone named Bernard?

:rofl:

nismodrifter
04-15-2015, 07:37 PM
This thread is useless without pics of said Cheryl