PDA

View Full Version : Layoff Question

Asian_defender
04-21-2015, 02:50 PM
My girlfiend is being laid off. The final day of work is set to June 5th but apparently because she is scheduled to work on June 6th they are asking her to either take it out of her vacation bank or work an extra day that week.

Can a company do that? Schedule a work day after a termination date? Seems odd to me

Graham_A_M
04-21-2015, 02:59 PM
... this should be in the careers section, not here. Can a mod move it please?

GQBalla
04-21-2015, 03:04 PM
what? How does that make sense?

killramos
04-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Tell her to work the day. The extra day's pay is probably worth more to her at this point than making a big deal out of this.

What kind of work does she do? June 6th is a saturday...

The_1
04-21-2015, 03:17 PM
call in sick

flipstah
04-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Either work or don't get paid for that day. Why would they have to take it out of the vacation bank? :nut:

bjstare
04-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Either work or don't get paid for that day. Why would they have to take it out of the vacation bank? :nut:

That's the same as not getting paid - if she's laid off, she's going to be paid out the remaining balance in her vacation bank :rofl:

I'd work it. I mean, she's out of a job for goodness sakes, one more day's pay is probably going to be nice to have.

ShermanEF9
04-21-2015, 07:01 PM
if her final day is june 5th, thats her final day. after that, its their problem.

Asian_defender
04-22-2015, 10:02 AM
This is part of the big Shaw layoff's
she works in residental provisioning, I don't see why June 6th is her problem if her last day is June 5th. Tried calling the alberta labour toll free questions line and didn't get anywhere.

bjstare
04-22-2015, 11:09 AM
This is super simple. Are they compensating her for that day if she's working? If yes; work. If no; tell them to kick rocks.

brucebanner
04-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
This is super simple. Are they compensating her for that day if she's working? If yes; work. If no; tell them to kick rocks.
:werd:

syscal
04-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Sounds like she won't get paid, and they will count the 6th as a vacation day if she doesn't work it. This makes no sense. Probably best to review anything with a signature on it.

killramos
04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by syscal
Sounds like she won't get paid, and they will count the 6th as a vacation day if she doesn't work it. This makes no sense. Probably best to review anything with a signature on it.

I don't see how she wouldn't be paid. Her salary would be prorated to include the days she works on her last paycheck. Same deal if shes hourly, pay would be based on hours she works.

Its whether or not she will "use" a vacation day "pre layoff" which would not be paid out after and takes the day off or works the day, gets paid for it, and then receives full vacation pay as part of post layoff payout.

Shaw isn't going to make someone work a day for free... Potential PR fallout isn't worth the money.

If you are SUPER concerned just have them file the official layoff paperworks as June 6th instead of June 5th. I doubt HR gives 2 shits.

BavarianBeast
04-22-2015, 02:44 PM

bjstare
04-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Shaw isn't going to make someone work a day for free... Potential PR fallout isn't worth the money.

Who knows, they may even be in for some class action bullshit as well

killramos
04-22-2015, 03:06 PM
I have a pretty good idea who knows. SHAW.

OP just get your girlfriend to talk to HR about this if she is so concerned about being screwed. 5 minute conversation with her employer is worth more than 100 pages of people bickering on beyond.

Not like there is anything to lose, shes being fired anyways :rofl: