PDA

View Full Version : Anti-harassment team to hit Red Mile Thursday

Pages : [1] 2 3

finboy
04-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Young women are mobilizing against what has become a string of sexual harassment and sexually-violent statements against women during post-Flames game celebrations along the Red Mile this week.

The Pussy Cats Consent Awareness Team on the Red Mile will meet Thursday outside Western Canada High School to raise awareness around the issue and prevent further incidents where women have felt sexually-harrassed and physically-endangered by aggressive hockey fans.

Stasha Huntingford, who is organizing the gathering, says women and men will come together and “show our presence,” with signs, wearing paper cat ears, and starting a conversation about consent.

“We as a society need to decide what is acceptable, and this kind of behaviour is not acceptable.

“It’s a very masculine culture along the Red Mile. But we can celebrate hockey without being violent,” she said.

Saima Jamal, who will also be joining, said part of the effort is to prevent a repeat of some of the incidents that became common-place during the Flames 2004 Cup run, when the team reached the Stanley Cup final and thousands of fans converged onto the Red Mile, 17th Avenue S.W., to celebrate game nights.

On many occasions young women unclothed in public, at times at their own choosing, and at other times, saying they felt forced to by a chanting crowd.

“Shirts off for Kiprusoff,” became a popular slogan at the time, playing with the name of then Flames starting goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff.

This week, slogans like “Show Yer Cans for Monahan,” have been seen on posters, playing with the name of star forward Sean Monahan.

But Jamal says it’s critical that similar events not happen again.

“It’s about consent and protecting women who are on the Red Mile,” said Jamal.

“Last time, we had women going down there, and there was an expectation that they take their tops off.

“And if they did, if they felt pressured to, people would just touch them without their consent.”

Huntingford says up to 40 women have committed to come together Thursday in hopes of dozens more joining in, including men, to curb aggressive behaviour on the Red Mile.

Harassment of female TV reporters went viral in January 2014 when John Cain of Cincinnati, Ohio, posted a fake news clip of himself posing as a Fox News reporter.

On that clip the “reporter” doesn’t realize he is on the air and appears to be joking with his anchor about what he would do to a missing young woman if he found her and makes a vulgar reference and gesture.

After that video went viral, Cain created at least two other videos featuring fake live news reports in which a man roughly grabs the microphone from the female “reporter.”

Social media has also lit up in the last few days with several women tweeting that they’ve been victims of harassment and verbal assault.

Last week, a Global Calgary TV reporter was interrupted during a live stand up outside the Ship and Anchor Pub by a male passerby who shouts “F*** her right in the p****. Go, Flames, go.”

Other members of print and television media, including the Herald’s Erika Stark have since confirmed they too have heard the same slur.

People have shared their stories and tried to raise awareness via Twitter with the hashtag #saferedmile.

Calgary Police were not available to provide comment on the incidents Wednesday.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/anti-harassment-team-to-hit-red-mile-thursday

rage2
04-23-2015, 07:53 AM
On many occasions young women unclothed in public, at times at their own choosing, and at other times, saying they felt forced to by a chanting crowd.
Gotta love personal accountability, but I guess if you felt forced, that's considered forced now? Maybe people should change the signs and chants to "May you show yer cans for Monahan?"

Also gotta love special interests groups blowing everything out of proportion. While there were chants down at the red mile this week, girls just laughed it off. Nobody was breaking consent. Nobody was unsafe.

Mibz
04-23-2015, 07:54 AM
The FHRITP reference caught me off guard, haha.

Originally posted by rage2
May you show yer cans for Monahan?
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/oe9uK9QGCUI/hqdefault.jpg

BavarianBeast
04-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Wow. A group to support women with low self esteem.

zipdoa
04-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Ahh... The seedy underbelly of Calgary reveals itself on two key occasions. Play-offs and Stampede. :nut:

schocker
04-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
The FHRITP reference caught me off guard, haha.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/oe9uK9QGCUI/hqdefault.jpg
Maybe tip your cans for m'onahan

dirtsniffer
04-23-2015, 07:59 AM
hahah that was a good old FHRITP comment. Author obviously does not internet.

G-ZUS
04-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Last week, a Global Calgary TV reporter was interrupted during a live stand up outside the Ship and Anchor Pub by a male passerby who shouts “F*** her right in the p****. Go, Flames, go.”

Doesnt get old

:rofl:

Seth1968
04-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Huntingford says up to 40 women have committed to come together Thursday in hopes of dozens more joining in, including men

A790
04-23-2015, 08:08 AM
It's an SJW's world now. :(

rage2
04-23-2015, 08:11 AM
It started from here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/04/20/fhritp-calgary-red-mile_n_7102470.html

Hd_PkwC7Okg

Erika Stark isn't happy about the prank.

googe
Honestly, it would suck to be a girl out there with all these dudes acting like they do after a game, except for the few who like that kind of attention. I doubt there are safety issues though. If anyone grabbed a girl, they'd probably get jumped on by a pack of drunk white knights.

Man, hard to believe that last run was over 10 years ago.

HiTempguy1
Hahahaha ^^^^ Gold Jerry, GOLD!

A+ reporter, would read article again.

killramos
04-23-2015, 08:12 AM
So if i understand this correctly the short of it is there is going to be a group of 40 prudes and their tagalong whipped husbands who are going to wander around the red mile and wave their finger at anyone promoting women's promiscuity?

Where can I watch :rofl:

Sugarphreak
04-23-2015, 08:20 AM

JRSC00LUDE
04-23-2015, 08:21 AM
I think they just shouldn't allow women at a men's sporting event or in bars. Or out after dark.

whiteout
04-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by killramos
So if i understand this correctly the short of it is there is going to be a group of 40 prudes and their tagalong whipped husbands who are going to wander around the red mile and wave their finger at anyone promoting women's promiscuity?

Where can I watch :rofl:

Or try to pass out multi-page consent forms to be filled out before a man is allowed to look at a woman.

rage2
04-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by googe
Honestly, it would suck to be a girl out there with all these dudes acting like they do after a game, except for the few who like that kind of attention. I doubt there are safety issues though. If anyone grabbed a girl, they'd probably get jumped on by a pack of drunk white knights.

Man, hard to believe that last run was over 10 years ago.
I was down there this week after the game, and sure there were some chants, but girls just laughed it off. Nobody was ripping clothes off chicks or anything, just like how nobody did anything like that 10 yrs ago. This whole consent thing is just weird.

BavarianBeast
04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
How come when girls show their boobs it's okay and when I whip my dick out it's a crime?

They should be hitting the red mile to protest equality instead :rofl:

killramos
04-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I think they just shouldn't allow women at a men's sporting event or in bars. Or out after dark.

I would be satisfied if they stopped allowing them to commentate on sportsnet :rofl:

:poosie:

killramos
04-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
How come when girls show their boobs it's okay and when I whip my dick out it's a crime?

Aint no one want to see that shit man :barf:

:D

BerserkerCatSplat
04-23-2015, 08:35 AM

It sure is strange, it seems like one moment women are strong patriarchy-smashing she-bosses, and the next they're fragile, faint creatures that just cannot control their actions when confronted by a horde of testosterone-fueled manbeasts.

I just don't know what to believe anymore!

sputnik
04-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Aint no one want to see that shit man :barf:

:D

Edmonton fans on Whyte Ave in 2006 thought otherwise.

rage2
04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Show your Diller for Hiller. :rofl:

BavarianBeast
04-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Hahahahaha!

D'z Nutz
04-23-2015, 09:03 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Naheed_Nenshi_cropped.jpg/300px-Naheed_Nenshi_cropped.jpg

ercchry
04-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I bet it makes the ''problem'' worse

How many chicks are going to be flashing this mob of angry church moms just to piss them off?

Social media is basically the reasons that flashing tits has stopped though. So many people have phones with good cameras these days and everything goes to public sites now. What used to be a harmless gesture that would be forgotten in a few minutes, now can pretty much haunt somebody for years and maybe even affect their job and personal life.

I dunno... sure in 04 facebook was pretty new, but every morning after a game we'd check flamesgirls.com to see who the biggest whore in the high school was that week. :rofl:

rx7boi
04-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

How many chicks are going to be flashing this mob of angry church moms just to piss them off?

Definitely gonna be there for more boobs than usual :rofl: :rofl:

Mibz
04-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
It sure is strange, it seems like one moment women are strong patriarchy-smashing she-bosses, and the next they're fragile, faint creatures that just cannot control their actions when confronted by a horde of testosterone-fueled manbeasts. You always put what I'm thinking into far better words than I ever could.

flipstah
04-23-2015, 09:57 AM

"May you show yer cans for Monahan?"

Originally posted by whiteout

Or try to pass out multi-page consent forms to be filled out before a man is allowed to look at a woman.

And who said chivalry is dead!

I would be satisfied if they stopped allowing them to commentate on sportsnet :rofl:

:poosie:

LOL Sportsnet>CBC.

A790
04-23-2015, 10:19 AM
This falls in line with the recent push of third-wave feminism. Equality seems to be less favoured, so much as creating a culture of political correctness.

It's a fine line and I feel as if we aren't walking on the right side of it.

beyond_ban
04-23-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Naheed_Nenshi_cropped.jpg/300px-Naheed_Nenshi_cropped.jpg

hahahahah i just spit my coffee onto my computer

CapnCrunch
04-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Drunk hockey fans and feminists. This should end well.

jkupper
04-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Show your scrotie for TJ Brodie

BerserkerCatSplat
04-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
You always put what I'm thinking into far better words than I ever could.

It was my...privilege.

I have to give credit to TumblrInAction for most of my inspiration though, haha.

bjstare
04-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Drunk hockey fans and feminists. This should end well.

:werd: , can't wait!

HiTempguy1
04-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

It was my...privilege.

I have to give credit to TumblrInAction for most of my inspiration though, haha.

Are you in politics? You have my vote already :love:

rage2
04-23-2015, 12:39 PM
The Pussy Cats Consent Awareness Team are sexist, and shouldn't be only focusing on women. They need to focus on Canucks fans too, because there were much more sexually violent words yelled at those guys than women on the Red Mile on Tuesday night.

zipdoa
04-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Is the female demographic of beyond interested in chiming in?

lasimmon
04-23-2015, 12:46 PM
I sent the article to my friend and his response was "Oh, I see team pussy is out patrolling the red mile tonight - sounds good to me!!"

BavarianBeast
04-23-2015, 12:54 PM
My girlfriends a bit of a feminist. She laughed when I told her. It's likely the same group of insecure broads that flashed their titties in 04 and cried when the entire world could see them on flamesgirls.com.

Like rage stated earlier, it's not like guys are ripping off womens clothes like " SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING BOOBS, YOU WHORE!"

Most of the taunting/gestures I've heard in the past are with good fun.

adam c
04-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Looks like the Flames are losing tonight just so we can hear "Flames in six show us your tits"

JRSC00LUDE
04-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

There's girls here? I mean not snowcat but like, biological ones? :eek:

dirtsniffer
04-23-2015, 01:23 PM
flamesgirls.com is no longer up?

ercchry
04-23-2015, 01:29 PM
#flamesgirls ...welcome to the future :rofl:

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2015, 01:30 PM
holy fuck flamesgirls.com now thats some great memory

klumsy_tumbler
04-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

This whole thing is so annoying haha. If a girl wants to be skanky and show her boobs to a crowd of drunk fans, let her. Like rage said, it's not like they were actually being physically forced, they just either A) lack a backbone of any kind and are really that meek, or B) have daddy issues / low self esteem and don't know enough about hockey to actually strike up a conversation with a dude to get his attention that way instead.

I swear, this was started by a mom who had a picture of her daughter show up on social media )or whatever this other site you were referencing is) and came to the conclusion that her sweet little girl was the victim in the scenario (probably after the girl cried and insisted she was "forced"), then decided to take action. This mother figure is probably also extremely active in church groups and home-owners associations - you know the type.

Anyways, the "victims" all band together and commence operation "Fun Sucker", as with anything that offends their delicate tastes and sensibilities. Then, voila! You have this prissy pussy little group. That's my theory, anyways.

Whatever happened to personal accountability and minding your own damn business?

/rant

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

whiteout
04-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler
I swear, this was started by a mom who had a picture of her daughter show up on social media )or whatever this other site you were referencing is) and came to the conclusion that her sweet little girl was the victim in the scenario (probably after the girl cried and insisted she was "forced"), then decided to take action. This mother figure is probably also extremely active in church groups and home-owners associations - you know the type.

No, it was started by someone who wasn't considered to be attractive enough to be asked to take their clothes off. Since men didn't ask her to take it off, she's pissed off and men are pigs because they don't find her hot (even when wasted). Or men are pigs for supposedly reinforcing "negative body image". I'd bet that the song "All about the bass" is played quite often during this "protest".

baygirl
04-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler

This whole thing is so annoying haha. If a girl wants to be skanky and show her boobs to a crowd of drunk fans, let her. Like rage said, it's not like they were actually being physically forced, they just either A) lack a backbone of any kind and are really that meek, or B) have daddy issues / low self esteem and don't know enough about hockey to actually strike up a conversation with a dude to get his attention that way instead.

Anyways, the "victims" all band together and commence operation "Fun Sucker", as with anything that offends their delicate tastes and sensibilities. Then, voila! You have this prissy pussy little group. That's my theory, anyways.

Whatever happened to personal accountability and minding your own damn business?

/rant

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
+1

If a woman is going to flash her tits in public and blame it on booze or peer pressure then she 1) obviously can't hold her booze and shouldn't drink and 2) should not be allowed out in public without a babysitter. If you are embarrassed about it, admit you fucked up and move on. Playing the victim makes it worse.

timdog
04-23-2015, 02:20 PM
you guys are all fucking brutal.
girls just want to be able to go to the red mile and celebrate the flames without being yelled at to show their tits. no, they arent being forced and yes the person that said that in the article is being extreme, but it does not mean they are not being harassed. we should be focusing on publicly shaming the fucking ass-hats that walk around with no shirt on with 'Show us your cans for Monahan' written on their chest. if a girl whips out her tits for fun, great. if a bunch of dudes are yelling at every chick that walks by to whip out their tits... that's a real fucking problem.

Skidro
04-23-2015, 02:26 PM
^^
So when you go to a bar do you expect a nice intelligent conversation with sober people? You are walking in a street filled with bars and drunk people. Of course people are gonna get yelled at, and if a girl is wearing a flames jersey obviously some other drunk fans will hoot and holler.
If you don't want to get yelled at, don't go there??? Pretty fucking simple

dirtsniffer
04-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Not really, I haven't been to a bar where women are getting yelled at to whip out dem tittaes.

I agree with timdog. pretty fucking lowbrow to run around yelling at women to flash you.

ercchry
04-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by timdog
you guys are all fucking brutal.
girls just want to be able to go to the red mile and celebrate the flames without being yelled at to show their tits. no, they arent being forced and yes the person that said that in the article is being extreme, but it does not mean they are not being harassed. we should be focusing on publicly shaming the fucking ass-hats that walk around with no shirt on with 'Show us your cans for Monahan' written on their chest. if a girl whips out her tits for fun, great. if a bunch of dudes are yelling at every chick that walks by to whip out their tits... that's a real fucking problem.

for whatever reason i find the timing of this post hilarious (right after two females chime in with a completely different view) :rofl:

its like x-mas... cant say merry x-mas anymore, its happy holidays! why? because the minorities were offended? nope... cause the white people said its offensive :nut:

rage2
04-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
for whatever reason i find the timing of this post hilarious (right after two females chime in with a completely different view) :rofl:
It's because white knighters and male feminists are so extreme to "the cause" that they're not listening to women. We have one of those in our office, and he annoys the shit out of the women more so than men. :rofl:

My Canucks fan analogy earlier in the thread still stands. Should a Canucks fan be allowed to walk down the Red Mile and not be heckled with extremely violent sexual harassment? If so, can we ban heckling all together?

sputnik
04-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Has anyone asked the flashers?

I know one from back in 2004 and even today doesn't regret it.

Sometimes girls just want to go out and have some fun too.

flipstah
04-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

its like x-mas... cant say merry x-mas anymore, its happy holidays! why? because the minorities were offended? nope... cause the white people said its offensive :nut:

Moral of the story: Blame white people.

Amen.

http://img.pandawhale.com/45018-Billy-Dee-Williams-clapping-gi-87wh.gif

rx7_turbo2
04-23-2015, 03:07 PM
The internet is full of fucking White Knights.

We get it, you're not offended, you're defending those who may under the right conditions if they're absolutely the most no fun Debbie Downers might be offended.:barf: Maybe if you defend them you'll be the saviour of dull people everywhere and a nice one of these Debbie Downers will touch your ding-a-ling.

My wife read the article and laughed her ass off. What type of shitty, boring missionary only life must you be living that you'd actually take the time to organize and protest for this cause. :dunno:

Jesus Christ people, you only get one life, loosen the fuck up a bit. Atrocities are occurring all around the world, and this group of Zilches decides their collective efforts be spent bringing awareness to the fact that when shitty low life men get drunk they want to see titties? God help us all.

HiTempguy1
04-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

I agree with timdog. pretty fucking lowbrow to run around yelling at willing to flash you.

We're talking about Flames fans, how much more lowbrow do you expect then that?

:guns: :hitit: :thumbsup:

;)

Also:

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Not really, I haven't been to a bar where women are getting yelled at to whip out dem tittaes.

Ever been to University? It's a breeding ground for sluts :eek:

timdog
04-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Skidro
^^
So when you go to a bar do you expect a nice intelligent conversation with sober people? You are walking in a street filled with bars and drunk people. Of course people are gonna get yelled at, and if a girl is wearing a flames jersey obviously some other drunk fans will hoot and holler.

this is not far off the argument that chicks who dress slutty are just asking to be raped, and if they are raped.. who's really at fault? give your head a shake. I'm not a feminist and i'm not offended, I just dont get everyone on this thread.

and Shelton that's a retarded comment. if you're wearing a canucks jersey people should be able to sexually harass you?

and congratulations to the guy who brought up x-mas, you've officially been brainwashed by CNN. has anyone told you directly that it offends them when you say Merry Christmas? very doubtful. its not an actual concern almost any respectable human on earth has. but, some people choose to say Happy Holidays in order to be inclusive of all people.

jkupper
04-23-2015, 03:11 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/011/869/internet_white_knight_colored_4350.jpg

ercchry
04-23-2015, 03:15 PM

this is not far off the argument that chicks who dress slutty are just asking to be raped, and if they are raped.. who's really at fault? give your head a shake. I'm not a feminist and i'm not offended, I just dont get everyone on this thread.

no... it would be the same as someone asking a slutty looking girl to blow them... not rape them, ask... like asking for tits to be shown.

and congratulations to the guy who brought up x-mas, you've officially been brainwashed by CNN. has anyone told you directly that it offends them when you say Merry Christmas? very doubtful. its not an actual concern almost any respectable human on earth has. but, some people choose to say Happy Holidays in order to be inclusive of all people.

thanks for solidifying the fucking point :thumbsup:

rage2
04-23-2015, 03:20 PM
How is that even the same argument? If a chick who dresses slutty gets raped, guess what? It's the rapist's fault. How is that anywhere close to a bunch of drunks chanting to see tits?

and Shelton that's a retarded comment. if you're wearing a canucks jersey people should be able to sexually harass you?
I think you missed my point. The Canucks fans weren't being sexually harassed. If the people yelling at them to go fuck their mom forcibly inserted his penis into his mother until she bleeds, then that's a different story. If girls were forced to show their tits, that I have a problem with as well, as would everyone else in this thread.

JRSC00LUDE
04-23-2015, 03:23 PM

Actually, yes. Some people have made it a point to take it all the way to the Human Rights Commission to outlaw saying Merry Christmas because it's too offensive to them. These are the same useless fucking zero's that are offended by shit like this.

Is it "classy"? No. Would I do it? No. Would I laugh if I were standing near there and saw someone grab the mic and do it? Absolutely. Is it WRONG to the point of protest? Not a fucking chance. Does it make the environment unsafe? Not a fucking chance. The only specific person who is disrespected by that happening is the reporter and that has been shown to be gender neutral action.

People that easily offended are useless.

How is that even the same argument? If a chick who dresses slutty gets raped, guess what? It's the rapist's fault. How is that anywhere close to a bunch of drunks chanting to see tits?

It's not. It's barely even on the same Internet it's such a stretch. Someone should page Thales here so he can see what hyperbole is because that analogy would fit to a T.

lilmira
04-23-2015, 03:24 PM
I just find grabbing the mic from the reporters very annoying and disrespectful. Don't go around and screw with someone's job. I'm surprised that no one has identified that lucky beer guy.

BavarianBeast
04-23-2015, 03:29 PM
OK. OK GUYS.

The feminist has spoken.

" I think it's great that women are going down and spreading that message. It's sexual harrasment to ask or to shout at women to flash them. It createes a culture of patriarchy and harassment which can often lead to things like groping or sexual threats. The message isn't saying women can't make good decisions, I believe it is saying everyone should feel safe and be able to share in the spirit of the Flames winning without turning it into a sexual thing."

I won't reply, I never do. I've learned better :D

timdog
04-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Well I see that I am surrounded by a bunch of oafs here.
I respectfully disagree with most of the conclusions here. Also I didnt say that asking someone to show you their tits is the same as rape, not even close. I said the ARGUMENT is the same. I dont know why I expected people to be able to read sentences and comprehend actual points, instead of just responding with strawman arguments and not understanding basic concepts.

I'm not standing up on a soapbox all offended and saying that these girls should be doing this anti-harassment march or whatever the fuck is that they are doing. I'm just generally disgusted by all of your responses to it. my initial reaction to the OP was 'this is stupid and a waste of time', then reading all of the responses just blew me away.

and yes, rape is worse than asking people to show you their tits. and yes, FORCING them to show you their tits is worse than asking them too. that doesn't make it totally acceptable to go around chanting for girls to show you their tits, and what's even worse is when someone calls it out and says 'this is wrong', you guys attack THAT fucking person. just insane.
:goflames:

rage2
04-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Does that include the women here that share the same point of view?

bjstare
04-23-2015, 03:44 PM
I respectfully disagree with most of the conclusions here.
*snip*

You contradicted yourself in two back-to-back sentences. This is a perfect representation of how logical your arguments are. :rofl:

Seth1968
04-23-2015, 03:51 PM

If so, piss off.

Oh wait. We're FORCING you to be here.

timdog
04-23-2015, 03:51 PM

Does that include the women here that share the same point of view?

yes.

timdog
04-23-2015, 03:54 PM
this is exactly my point. rather than addressing my actual points, you guys choose to pick apart the easy shit.

My_name_is_Rob
04-23-2015, 04:02 PM
So what if they just shouted 'Free the nipple' instead? Would this be like the best of both worlds? The guys would get what they want, while supporting the ladies protest for equality of flesh? :poosie:

BavarianBeast
04-23-2015, 04:18 PM
this is exactly my point. rather than addressing my actual points, you guys choose to pick apart the easy shit.

This is beyond...

ZenOps
04-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Oh, I know exactly who that guy is.

whiteout
04-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Only on Beyond would someone equate a request for a flashing to rape.:rofl:

Were any of these women actually forced to remove their clothes? Or was it more a case of decreased inhibitions due to the consumption of alcohol? None of these women were compelled to remove their clothes and all of them did so voluntarily.

A790
04-23-2015, 04:35 PM
The issue here isn't about whether or not women were FORCED to remove clothing. The issue is about whether or not it is appropriate for drunken men to be making those chants/requests at all.

Some women, perhaps even most women, aren't going to find that environment welcoming. Some, maybe most, will find it intimidating/offensive.

I have no opinion one way or the other. However, let's not turn this conversation into something that it isn't.

timdog
04-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by A790
The issue here isn't about whether or not women were FORCED to remove clothing. The issue is about whether or not it is appropriate for drunken men to be making those chants/requests at all.

Some women, perhaps even most women, aren't going to find that environment welcoming. Some, maybe most, will find it intimidating/offensive.

I have no opinion one way or the other. However, let's not turn this conversation into something that it isn't.

well said.

Originally posted by whiteout
Only on Beyond would someone equate a request for a flashing to rape.:rofl:

another case of misunderstanding basic sentence structures here.

anyway, i'm out. next time i'll shut up. this probably got out of hand.

ekguy
04-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Skidro
^^

you can't expect people to make informed and intelligent decisions anymore...it's all about equality now anyways...people should be able to go downtown without having to deal with beligerant assholes...blah blah blah.

I honestly agree with you. Don't like it stay away. Have your drinks tomorrow night if you don't like the red mile when the flames are playoff'ing.

msommers
04-23-2015, 04:51 PM
I'm all for equality. I'll be windmilling for the Sedin twins.

But you guys honestly have to look at this a little differently. Saying "can you show me your tits" because of a sports game wouldn't fly in a work environment, would get you slapped and dragged out of a bar by a bouncer and so on. So why in a public environment like 17th ave when everyone's lit up is it all the sudden kosher to be asking?

I'm all for public boobs. Matter of fact, they're the best kind of boobs. But to say no women got sexually harassed down there is an outright lie because there were plenty of creeper dudes reaching and grabbing for tits when girls lifted their shirts, or "assisting" them with their shirts when they were clearly on the fence about doing it or not.

If chicks wanna show their tits because they wanna show their tits, go for it. Have fun. Live with it if you show up on the internet and don't play the victim.

I remember seeing a female cop start getting on top of this car to take down these two chicks flashing on the roof. Well the two girls bolted and now this lone female cop was on the roof of the car! Well everyone starts chanting the Kipper chant and you can tell she kinda thinking it would be funny because she was very much laughing at the proposition.

88CRX
04-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Was on 17th on Tuesday night after the game and I didn't hear any men chanting or yelling at women to take their tops off.

Tik-Tok
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by A790

It's definitely not appropriate, but it's also what the Red Mile is known for. Before this playoff season if you asked anyone what the Red Mile was, they would reply with "Boobs!!!", because that's all they'll remember it as from a decade ago.

Why a girl that wanted to go down there, and then be shocked at the chanting would be beyond my comprehension. It's like a girl walking into a strip joint and then being offended there's a naked chick on stage.

msommers
04-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

It's definitely not appropriate, but it's also what the Red Mile is known for. Before this playoff season if you asked anyone what the Red Mile was, they would reply with "Boobs!!!", because that's all they'll remember it as from a decade ago.

Why a girl that wanted to go down there, and then be shocked at the chanting would be beyond my comprehension. It's like a girl walking into a strip joint and then being offended there's a naked chick on stage.

Let me get this straight. If you walked down to Red Mile with your wife to celebrate and walk the streets, and I came directly to your wife and chanted in her face to take her shirt off, you'd be cool with it? Or rather, it was expected and totally fine?

Sometimes chicks just wanna flash. Nothing wrong with that

https://mit.zenfs.com/206/2011/05/1144166662-copy.jpg

max_boost
04-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
holy fuck flamesgirls.com now thats some great memory Oh those memories. Two of the hottest chicks with perfect racks standing on the rooftop of Lucky's flashing the mob with some dude suited up waving a big Flames flag. Good times.

rx7_turbo2
04-23-2015, 06:19 PM
this is not far off the argument that chicks who dress slutty are just asking to be raped.

No it's a long way off. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by msommers
Let me get this straight. If you walked down to Red Mile with your wife to celebrate and walk the streets, and I came directly to your wife and chanted in her face to take her shirt off, you'd be cool with it?

If I went down, or was down after a win with my wife would it upset me? No, wouldn't upset her either. I just asked her, her exact words were "Meh it's all in good fun". Now if someone grabbed her and/or tried to lift her shirt then yes there'd been an issue.

msommers
04-23-2015, 06:35 PM
Fair enough :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
04-23-2015, 06:39 PM

Let me get this straight. If you walked down to Red Mile with your wife to celebrate and walk the streets, and I came directly to your wife and chanted in her face to take her shirt off, you'd be cool with it? Or rather, it was expected and totally fine?

If I thought my wife would be upset by it, I would suggest we not go down there, knowing what it's like...

However she'd probably be one of the first to do it :rofl:

rx7_turbo2
04-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Fair enough :thumbsup:

I understand the argument, not all women will feel "it's all in good fun". Certainly some will be offended. I just see it as if you're a women and you decide to stroll The Red Mile after a win and you get offended if someone asks you to flash you were either there wanting to be offended, or you get offended at everything. Most of the women in my life if asked would just chuckle and keep walking.

HiTempguy1
04-23-2015, 07:04 PM
So, it sounds like the argument was laid out pretty well.

My question is, do people IN GENERAL have the right to not be "harassed"?

I actually don't think a crime is being committed (ie: harassment). So in this case, people are saying its poor manners/judgement.

Sorry, but this is the personal responsibility side of me kicking in. You do not have the right to "not be offended". This is in the general public, which has different rules/legalities surrounding it then in a workplace, so it is apples to oranges. If you don't want to be harassed, don't go there.

I for one stand-up for someone's right to free thought and speech, even if I don't agree with what they are saying. Yelling "show us your tits" isn't even offensive, its just awful manners.

zipdoa
04-23-2015, 09:07 PM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/flames-organization-tells-fans-to-stop-harassing-women
http://i.imgur.com/mwrrNIn.jpg

This pretty much sums it up for me.

timdog
04-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Yup, me too

firebane
04-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
So, it sounds like the argument was laid out pretty well.

My question is, do people IN GENERAL have the right to not be "harassed"?

I actually don't think a crime is being committed (ie: harassment). So in this case, people are saying its poor manners/judgement.

Sorry, but this is the personal responsibility side of me kicking in. You do not have the right to "not be offended". This is in the general public, which has different rules/legalities surrounding it then in a workplace, so it is apples to oranges. If you don't want to be harassed, don't go there.

I for one stand-up for someone's right to free thought and speech, even if I don't agree with what they are saying. Yelling "show us your tits" isn't even offensive, its just awful manners.

Of course people have that right. But if you put yourself into an environment such as the "red mile" and expect NOT to be harasses then you are naive.

Now if that same woman walked into a bar and some guy was hooting and hollering and harassing the woman he would be dealt with accordingly because that situation does not call or warrant that behavior ever.

A790
04-23-2015, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Of course people have that right. But if you put yourself into an environment such as the "red mile" and expect NOT to be harasses then you are naive.
I guess the argument is this: "I can walk down to the Red Mile and not get harassed. Why would a woman be treated any different?"

codetrap
04-23-2015, 11:53 PM

Unknown303
04-23-2015, 11:54 PM
I wish more chicks chanted "SHOW YOUR DICK"

msommers
04-24-2015, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I understand the argument, not all women will feel "it's all in good fun". Certainly some will be offended. I just see it as if you're a women and you decide to stroll The Red Mile after a win and you get offended if someone asks you to flash you were either there wanting to be offended, or you get offended at everything. Most of the women in my life if asked would just chuckle and keep walking.

I guess I just put myself in a girl's shoes and think, what would make the night better? Being asked to show my tits or no one asking because it's not expected/demanded/the "environment" but still getting just as wasted and having the same amount of fun as you would any other time.

I mean maybe the heightened sense of the sexuality is what peaks people's interests, girls and guys.

There were multiple large squads of bicycle cops on 17th ave, along with a squad about 12 large walking together. Definitely got the sense CPS was ready for shit to get out of hand tonight :rofl:

GQNammer
04-24-2015, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I don't know about this. I mean, lets say you have a daughter (if you don't already), and one day you have to explain to her that this type of behavior is normal during the playoffs and she's just asking for it if she chooses to go down the red mile. Is this where it's heading? Even if you're not offended by this, I don't know how I would explain it to my kid. I know i would slap the shit outta the guy who says this kinda shit to my girl.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

HiTempguy1
04-24-2015, 06:45 AM
I find it a bit humorous some white knight dudes in this thread are making it sound like this sort of shit doesn't happen to guys (not talking specifically about the red mile).

Hell, ever been in a club and been randomly grinded on/ass grabbed/crotch grab? Has happened to me and I'm just some regular dude, not Tanning Chatum (or whoever the hell is women'd fuck fantasy right now).

Seriously, I don't want to LIVE in your world of politial correctness. It sounds awful. I can be, act, and think however I want, and I disagree with your claim that this shouldn't happen.

Sluts be sluts. If the individual isn't physically assaulted to do so, then it was her decision. Berserker said it best.

msommers
04-24-2015, 07:50 AM
I find it a bit humorous some white knight dudes in this thread are making it sound like this sort of shit doesn't happen to guys (not talking specifically about the red mile).

Hell, ever been in a club and been randomly grinded on/ass grabbed/crotch grab? Has happened to me and I'm just some regular dude, not Tanning Chatum (or whoever the hell is women'd fuck fantasy right now).

Seriously, I don't want to LIVE in your world of politial correctness. It sounds awful. I can be, act, and think however I want, and I disagree with your claim that this shouldn't happen.

Sluts be sluts. If the individual isn't physically assaulted to do so, then it was her decision. Berserker said it best.

Dude your girl has obviously not worked in a club/pub whatever. Guys grab their ass and make comments all the time. And it's sorta dubbed "comes with the territory" which is total bullshit. The only reason girls keep doing it is because the tips are good. If they could make the same money doing something else with no experience, are they gonna take that job or another where its not "the territory." I mean these girls are serving drinks, not being strippers

No one is white knighting man, its a change of the times and recognition of a problem. If chicks wanna flash the guns, let them on their own accord.

zipdoa
04-24-2015, 08:00 AM

You seem bitter. It's disgusting to treat people as objects, regardless of gender. This isn't about political correctness, this is about respect. Just because someone is respectful of the opposite sex, doesn't make them a WK.

googe
04-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Yeah, wow, the reactions here are a bit surprising. The redneck is strong here :) It has nothing to do with political correctness and nobody is crying rape. Go to the strippers and start shouting at the female patrons to take off their shirts or wave some bills at them. See how fast you get put out on your ass. There's a reason for that.