PDA

View Full Version : Driving through the alps and Italian wine country. What would you rent?

cycosis
04-27-2015, 02:48 PM
I have an upcoming trip this September where I am picking up a rental car in Munich, then heading south throughout Italy.

Options so far are as follows:

Mercedes SLK
Mercedes E-class cabrio

BMW Z4
BMW 2er cabrio
BMW 4er cabrio

I was leaning towards the SLK. Anyone have any recommendations?

ExtraSlow
04-27-2015, 02:51 PM
whichever one is narrowest. Traffic and drivers are awful in Italy.

killramos
04-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Personally ( and i know i am biased) i would go with the 2er.

You will appreciate the extra space and visibility over an SLK. Very sporty to drive ( regardless of the engine i have driven a 116d and it was still fun). Its also small which helps ALOT with any kind of European parking situation.

E and 4 are to big, you will be surprised how bad the parking can be. Z4 and SLK are roadsters which i think is less ideal.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Mibz
04-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by killramos
E and 4 are to big, you will be surprised how bad the parking can be. Z4 and SLK are roadsters which i think is less ideal. Completely agree with the first sentence. The second depends on how much you're packing.

cycosis
04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
One suitcase only, were going to dealerships tonight to scope trunk/storage space just to be sure

Frank_White
04-27-2015, 04:09 PM
I would take the slk

YYC_A4
04-27-2015, 05:12 PM
Personally, I'd go with the 4er.

With that said, I wouldn't overthink it - there's a good chance that the car will be something totally different when you go to pick it up. I've reserved an A4 sedan and ended up with a 5er wagon, or booked a Golf and been given an A-class...

austic
04-27-2015, 08:55 PM
I have done a long road trip (Phoenix to Calgary) in an SLK 350. trunk was fine for 2 small carry on bags so a small suitcase would work. I would pick the SLK in a heartbeat and enjoy the ride.

CanmoreOrLess
04-27-2015, 10:54 PM
As YYC_A4 said, you'll not get the vehicle you are wanting, you'll get the vehicle they have in stock. Just like every other car rental in the world, as it is Italy you'll be lucky if they remember your reservation. No one sets their watch on Italian time.

cycosis
04-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Rental pickup is Munich.

Went to lonestar last night to see what the trunk space was in an SLK and my head sticks about 3 inches above the front window line haha. Im 6'5" so its no longer an option. Same goes for Z4, no trunk space of the roof is down.

The BMW 2er fit somewhat decently. Im renting through Sixt and I have always had good luck getting what was requested, if not an upgrade. Convertibles arn't a popular option to rent so I should be good.

killramos
04-28-2015, 10:37 AM
The front of the 2er is just as roomy as the front of the 4er. We wont talk about the back.

No one has ever complained about being the in front seat ( passenger or driver) of my car.

CapnCrunch
04-28-2015, 11:29 AM
A taxi cab so I can drink my face off?

mr2mike
04-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Don't want to burst your bubble but I have my doubts that they'll let you rent a BMW of any sorts and drive it in Italy (with insurance/coverage).

Maybe make certain you can do this.
I wasn't even allowed to take a BMW to France and Italian drivers are x10 worse as stated by a buddy who lived in Italy. Stuck with an Opel for a rental.

This was with Sixt car rental.

A|pine
04-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Rented an audi at europcar in Munich last year. You are not allowed to bring the car to italy or czech republic. Austria is fine.