PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking noise after installing summer rims

jabjab
04-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Just swapped over to my summer tire and rim combo and noticed today that once I get up to over 40km around I hear a slight squeaking/scraping noise from either the front or rear wheel. What could be causing this? Dirt or debris from the back of the rim or a bigger issue. The noise was not there before.

Thanks

tirebob
04-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Could be a lot of things, but often is is something simple like crud getting disloged or the like. Try simply unbolting the wheel, make sure nothing is lodged in the caliper or the shield behind the rotor didn't get bent a little or the like. If all looks got bolt it back up and see if it is gone. Sometimes it is a simple as that...

jabjab
04-28-2015, 07:39 AM
took the tire off and cleaned the hub and the inside of the rim. Put it back on and its still there but I've narrowed it down to only happening between 40 to 55km an hour.

I'm having a feeling my torque wrench is very accurate, if this is the case would not being torque correctly be causing this?

tirebob
04-28-2015, 08:23 AM
If it is much to loose sure, but being off just a bit shouldn't cause squeaking.

Can you identify which corner the squeaking is coming from? Did you check your brakes?

jabjab
04-28-2015, 05:51 PM
More like a ticking noise now. Hard to diagnose which wheel. I'll try rotating them all and see what happens.

Just find it weird that's only between the speeds of 40 and 60km an hour

CanmoreOrLess
04-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Swap the front and rear wheel, same issue post swap? I've had a stone stuck in the wheel area that made a squeaking sound, I've also had a piece of metal bent making a ticking sound. Both times the Honda dealer found the issue and there was zero charge. A local Honda garage wanted to replace my transmission... :dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Backing plate touching the rotor? Two piece rotors clicking thay you've just never noticed till now?

jabjab
04-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Backing plate touching the rotor? Two piece rotors clicking thay you've just never noticed till now?

I would have noticed this for sure, it's definitely post rim install