PDA

View Full Version : CAMPERS: Propane, where's cheap?/charges by weight/etc...

Thaco
04-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Post your finds, who fills and charges based on actual weight? who is the cheapest per lb/per fill/per exchange? (obviously Calgary based, but other towns/campgrounds would be fine to post)

I like to exchange when i have old tanks, beats having them re-certified or buying a new tank,,, I think i saw a walmart at $20.88 for exchange, which is the cheapest i have seen for exchange, but i cant recall 100% so i will have to check again next time i am at the location i think i saw it at.

Also Costco has new 20LB tanks with built in gauge for $35

Info Gathered from the thread:
Costco Beacon hills, by the talk only, net 18lbs, $7.99+tax
Costco Okotoks, Balzac, Red Deer, East hills fill by the lb, maximum $11.00ish per tank (fluctuates like gasoline)

Costco Others - Listed on the costco website as having propane services, but i dont know their pricing. Grand Prairie, St Albert, South Edmnton, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat.

Co-op fills by lb $1.10/lb
Fill-N-Go Edmonton trail & 38th - also fills by the LB Price $?

sputnik
04-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Costco

ExtraSlow
04-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Co-op has been pretty good for me, but I think the cheapest is the fill-n-go on edmonton trail around 38th avenue NE.
https://goo.gl/maps/8jOZb

How are you going through a bottle per night? Are you talking about winter camping, or just cold summer nights in the mountains? I found that for those "down to frost line" nights in Kananaskis, I was using a pound of propane night or less.

Do you have 30 lb tanks? Might be worth the upgrade.

Cos
04-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Thaco
04-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Co-op has been pretty good for me, but I think the cheapest is the fill-n-go on edmonton trail around 38th avenue NE.
https://goo.gl/maps/8jOZb

How are you going through a bottle per night? Are you talking about winter camping, or just cold summer nights in the mountains? I found that for those "down to frost line" nights in Kananaskis, I was using a pound of propane night or less.

Do you have 30 lb tanks? Might be worth the upgrade. I was out already a couple times this year, web have a hybrid, so not exactly well insulated, and 2 kids, so we cant just tough it out, gotta be a reasonable temp... also running it set a bit lower during the day.. so i guess it's a day/night that burns a bottle.

Also, as i mentioned it's probably 1/4-1/2 full when i swap it in the evening because i don't wanna wake up frozen or have to go outside to change the tanks.

Also with modern regulators, a leak is almost impossible, if it senses a draw on the system when you turn the bottle on, it'll cripple the flow and the furnace wont even work.

As for 30lb tanks, it's not really an option for me, already enough tongue weight with the 4 batteries, lol, also i am not sure if the bed would be able to fold out with the extra height of 30's/

Cos
04-28-2015, 10:52 AM

ExtraSlow
04-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Hybrid and leaving it on during the day is what's doing it. If it was me, I'd have it on for an hour in the morning, then turn it off for the rest of the day and turn it on again after supper at night. Electric heater is a great idea if you normally camp in powered sites.

You can get decent 1500w heaters from Princess auto and other places for under $50.
Another option for bedtimes is electric blankets.

Thaco
04-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Hybrid and leaving it on during the day is what's doing it. If it was me, I'd have it on for an hour in the morning, then turn it off for the rest of the day and turn it on again after supper at night. Electric heater is a great idea if you normally camp in powered sites.

You can get decent 1500w heaters from Princess auto and other places for under $50.
Another option for bedtimes is electric blankets. yeah i definitely take advantage of powered sites, but the last few times was a friends acreage so i don't want to burn their power with a ceramic... i know i don't have the best practices for use of propane (kids and wife like to be warm) so that's why the point of this thread is filling the tanks in the most economical way possible.

C_Dave45
04-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Costco is the cheapest @ $8.39 flat rate for a 20 lb tank, $11 for the 30's. But be aware they will only fill it to 18 net lbs. (80%)
Co Op sells it by the pound @ $1.10/lb.
Forget the tank exchange program. Again they only fill partial and have been as low as 15 lbs...and a price of around $27.00. Plus you might bring your nice brand new tank and get a shitty 9 yr old tank in exchange.

How on earth do you go through a bottle a night?!!!! We have two 30's on our trailer but even in October, with snow on the ground and negative Temps at night, with the furnace blasting almost continously, those two tanks will last us 10 days easy. We've never run out.

Cos
04-28-2015, 11:10 AM

Thaco
04-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Costco is the cheapest @ $8.39 flat rate for a 20 lb tank, $11 for the 30's. But be aware they will only fill it to 18 net lbs. (80%)
Co Op sells it by the pound @ $1.10/lb.
Forget the tank exchange program. Again they only fill partial and have been as low as 15 lbs...and a price of around $27.00. Plus you might bring your nice brand new tank and get a shitty 9 yr old tank in exchange.

Yeah i only really use the exchange when my tank is old, that way it's like $7 for a recertification.. also when i tank exchange, i pick the new one (there's a petro canada near my work that the staff is lazy and just give me the cage key and i exchange it myself), i dont let them give me whatever.

great info for costco, thanks!

ExtraSlow
04-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Fill-n-go is your best bet. Also probably worth getting a tank gauge so you don't have to fill or exchange early.

Thaco
04-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Fill-n-go is your best bet. Also probably worth getting a tank gauge so you don't have to fill or exchange early. yeah i also have a gauge, but their accuracy, is far from... accurate.. they're good for telling you there's something, or nothing, anything in between is a crap shoot. Like i said before, i know my practices are not ideal, more looking to make a bit of a database on prices, and places, than look for efficiency, i know there are a lot of things i could do differently.

ExtraSlow
04-28-2015, 11:52 AM
the stick-on type gauges are pretty simple and accurate.

'93 SR-V
04-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I live way down south and the cheapest I've found in that area is Centex in Midnapore... The last time I was there it was about $15 to fill my 20lb tank. Not sure if they sell it per pound or based on the tank size as the tank was empty when I had it filled... I wish the south or Okotoks Costco offered propane!

C_Dave45
04-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Fill-n-go is your best bet. Also probably worth getting a tank gauge so you don't have to fill or exchange early.
That's why I like Co Op. Charge by the pound. So when heading out camping, we'll top up both tanks, no matter how full or empty they are. Sometimes I've only needed 5 lbs and it's just $5.50 to fill it up
Never have to worry what level the tanks are at.

Thaco
04-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

That's why I like Co Op. Charge by the pound. So when heading out camping, we'll top up both tanks, no matter how full or empty they are. Sometimes I've only needed 5 lbs and it's just $5.50 to fill it up
Never have to worry what level the tanks are at. that that's kinda what i am thinking, but then at the same time if costco is only $9 to fill, a half full tank is the tipping point in terms of value... (assuming you have a membership)

Kjonus
04-28-2015, 09:34 PM
These guys http://www.tempheat.ca/ were pretty cheap the last time I check at least when it came to buying odd size tanks and filling them.

Thaco
05-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Just filled up 2 tanks at Costco, 7.99 each, beacon hills.

cancer man
05-03-2015, 05:03 AM
I don't understand camping with propane. Only wood.

Cos
05-03-2015, 08:36 AM

ExtraSlow
05-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Morning wood can really interfere with your schedule, but I find it worthwhile and even my wife has started to agree with me.

Thaco
05-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by cancer man

yeah, i'll just set up a firepit in the camper to not freeze in april...

I use wood and campfires for 90% of cooking, but it doesn't heat the trailer.

codetrap
05-04-2015, 08:07 AM

Thaco
05-04-2015, 08:35 AM
i actually found a pretty good way to check them, it requires them being off the vehicle, but it's the most reliable way i have found, i just use a luggage scale.. typical cylinder weighs around 17 lbs empty (it should be stamped on the collar "tare"), so if you grab your luggage scale and give it a hoist, if it's 33+, it's full, 20- it's empty (or close) anywhere in between, you get the point...

http://www.gadgetreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/balanzza-mini-luggage-scale.jpg

ExtraSlow
05-04-2015, 08:38 AM
The ones from Lee valley have worked great for me. You need a kettle of hot water, but they aren't ambiguous.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/page.aspx?p=55008&cat=2,40733,40996&ap=1

I think the other stick-on ones work the same way, and should be jsut as reliable.

I have one of the pressure based ones that you thread onto the outlet, but I don't find it very informative.

Scale is also pretty easy and reliable.

codetrap
05-04-2015, 09:10 AM

ExtraSlow
05-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Yeah, it works on temperature difference. You need to pour hot water every time. It's not perfect, but it does work.

codetrap
05-04-2015, 10:43 AM

spike98
05-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Just wait for these:

http://gearhungry.com/2014/07/refuel-smart-propane-tank-gauge.html

Thaco
05-04-2015, 04:12 PM
$35 for a glorified scale, wont work on trailers because the tank is typically held on with a big clamp

C_Dave45
05-04-2015, 06:13 PM
I don't think I've ever even checked the level of a tank, other than pick it up and give it a shake. I can tell if it's less than half or more than half. But I just top both up every time I go out camping. Fill up the truck with gas, fill up the tanks. I've never run out with 60 lbs total LPG. Longest we've gone is two weeks.

codetrap
05-10-2015, 10:02 AM

ExtraSlow
07-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Both my 30 lb tanks are expired now. Anyone noticed if Costco is having a sale on new tanks recently, or should I just go get the re-certified? Or I've heard some places do an exchange program where they take the expired tank and sell you a re-certified one, so you don't have to wait.

Any recent price info on 30 lb tanks?

HomespunLobster
07-03-2016, 08:46 PM
We get all our shop tanks done at Canwest Propane, off glenmore/52 st ish. Decent prices for recertify, call to ask how much it costs

dj_rice
07-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Both my 30 lb tanks are expired now. Anyone noticed if Costco is having a sale on new tanks recently, or should I just go get the re-certified? Or I've heard some places do an exchange program where they take the expired tank and sell you a re-certified one, so you don't have to wait.

Any recent price info on 30 lb tanks?

Only seen the 20lb tanks on sale at Costco.

http://costcowest.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Costco-West-Deals-74-3.jpg

codetrap
07-03-2016, 09:04 PM

suntan
07-03-2016, 09:09 PM
$8! :eek:

ExtraSlow
07-04-2016, 07:02 AM
I'm sure someone told me that the Costco gas bars sometimes sell the 30 lb tanks.

I converted my last trailer over to 20 lb tanks, and had no regrets, but was planning to keep this one on 2x30.

C_Dave45
07-04-2016, 07:59 AM
I'm sure someone told me that the Costco gas bars sometimes sell the 30 lb tanks.

I converted my last trailer over to 20 lb tanks, and had no regrets, but was planning to keep this one on 2x30.
I don't know about the gas bars, but I bought my last 30's from inside the store. The one up in the north. I paid $49 for them, but that was a couple years ago. The Propane was a little more. I think the tanks have gone up and the propane has dropped.
~ $59(?) for the tank....and I think $13 for the fill on a 30 lb'er.

Recirt for the old 30's is around $45-50 IIRC.

ExtraSlow
07-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Well, dropped by the Fill-n-go on edmonton trail. Traded my expired 30 lb tank for a recertfied one (July 2016 date). Total cost for tank and fill was $52.45. I don't think I'm going to do much better than that.

While I was chatting with the guy, he did mention that they often run out of recertfied 30 lb tanks. I guess not that many people trade them in? They have tons of the 20 lb tanks though.

With how little propane I use, and the little bit left in my other expired tank, I should get through the rest of the summer.

SOAB
07-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Do all Costco locations refill propane tanks? I need to hit up the Deerfoot meadows location tonight anyway so I could bring my tanks along.

carson blocks
07-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Costco Balzac sells brand new 30lb bottles, $55ish if I recall. OP, could you run 2 tanks with an auto switching regulator? That's the setup my trailer has and it seems like it works well.

codetrap
07-04-2016, 01:02 PM

Thaco
07-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
Do all Costco locations refill propane tanks? I need to hit up the Deerfoot meadows location tonight anyway so I could bring my tanks along. check the OP for locations, i just updated it.

Thaco
07-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Costco Balzac sells brand new 30lb bottles, $55ish if I recall. OP, could you run 2 tanks with an auto switching regulator? That's the setup my trailer has and it seems like it works well. yeah i actually found out my biggest issue was i was runnignt he water tank, which at the time i thought was the furnace because the furnace is automatic and i really didn't expect that because my last unit was a circa 1970's tent trailer which i had to light manually... everything works a lot more efficiently now, i perfer to not have auto switching because then i know when my tank is empty, running out and switching in the middle of the night is minor compared to running out completely and freezing all night.

SOAB
07-04-2016, 02:04 PM
that happened to me last September long weekend. woke up freezing our asses off and had to go find a gas station that had propane. that sucked.

I've tried calling Costco before and vowed never to do that again. :thumbsdow

78si
07-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know of a place in Cochrane that fills propane tanks?

spikerS
07-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by 78si
Does anyone know of a place in Cochrane that fills propane tanks?

When I lived in Cochrane, I used to fill up all the time at Fas Gas. was the cheapest place. Dont know if they still have it though.

RealJimmyJames
07-05-2016, 06:55 AM
Top tip if you don't know where in a town to get propane. Look for a gas station with the big white propane bullet (can be either horizontal or vertical). Most places don't put propane on the sign, but those tanks are relatively easy to spot while driving. Just had a look at the google streeetview of the cochrane fas gas, and it doesn't seem to have one.

The "spring Hill" shell at the corner of 22 and 567 north of cochrane has one you can clearly see from the highway.
https://goo.gl/maps/16NLnUboRKT2

SOAB
07-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Went to the Costco in Okotoks yesterday and filled 2 - 20LB tanks. total cost? 14 buckeroos. wow, that was cheap.

jwslam
07-24-2017, 11:01 AM
BUMP
Finally running low on my 20lb bbq after 3 yrs.

Question:
Is Co-Op still a good bet for pricing? Not a Costco member.

Additional noob question:
Exactly how do I get it filled? Drive up to their propane bullet and... does someone come do it for me? Or I gotta figure out how to do it myself?

Alterac
07-24-2017, 11:08 AM
BUMP
Finally running low on my 20lb bbq after 3 yrs.

Question:
Is Co-Op still a good bet for pricing? Not a Costco member.

Additional noob question:
Exactly how do I get it filled? Drive up to their propane bullet and... does someone come do it for me? Or I gotta figure out how to do it myself?

Co-Op is still around $1+/lb, and you go to the propane tank and their is a button for service normally.
They will come and fill it, since you need "special" training to do it.

Costco is still cheapest.

Also make sure your tank isn't expired, you can only fill it within 10 years of the stamped year on the top of the tank.

jacky4566
07-24-2017, 11:09 AM

These guys are talking about RV's and glamping :P

Although i have seen some nice RV's with wood heaters. Kind of a pain to keep clean.

What would be really cool is an RV with floor of batteries (like a tesla) and electric in-floor heat throughout. As a back country skier its so nice to wake up and put on warm ski boots.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Seasonal bump. Still like the Edmonton trail fill-in-go. Got two 20lb tanks filled today for $12.99 each. That's supposed to be the special Tuesday price, but maybe they are lazy and charge that 7 days a week? Or the young turbaned dude was hitting on me. Either way I like it. Regular price is $13.99. A good deal in any case even if your tank is not quite empty. Paying by weight would be a lot more.

nzwasp
08-07-2019, 05:39 PM
So My propane tank has a gauge and it was full when I took it out on the weekend so I measured one day just using fridge the gauge didn’t move. Then the next day I had the hot water on the whole day (12 hours) the gauge read 75% full after that and it remained that way the rest of the trip. So I’m definetly only using the hot water by turning it on 30 mins before I want to use it.

Does anyone know if you can do a tank exchange with any tank or does it have to be the brand that they carry?

Thaco
08-07-2019, 06:25 PM
So My propane tank has a gauge and it was full when I took it out on the weekend so I measured one day just using fridge the gauge didn’t move. Then the next day I had the hot water on the whole day (12 hours) the gauge read 75% full after that and it remained that way the rest of the trip. So I’m definetly only using the hot water by turning it on 30 mins before I want to use it.

Does anyone know if you can do a tank exchange with any tank or does it have to be the brand that they carry?

those gauges are garbage, they are basiclaly full/empty gauges, not an indicator of volume left. the only way to really know how much you use is by weighing the tank

you should be able to tank exchange anywhere but you likely wont gt one with a gauge if yours is the built in style that costco sells, the most cost efficient way to get it filled is at costco, its like $11 for a full tank and they only charge for what they put in, every other place including those exchange places will charge you the full 20lbs regardless of whats left in your tank and will be $20+... the costco propane over a season will pay for your membership by itself if you don't already have one

dj_rice
08-07-2019, 09:49 PM
those gauges are garbage, they are basiclaly full/empty gauges, not an indicator of volume left. the only way to really know how much you use is by weighing the tank

you should be able to tank exchange anywhere but you likely wont gt one with a gauge if yours is the built in style that costco sells, the most cost effective way to get it filled is at costco, its like $11 for a full tank and they only charge for what they put in, every other place including those exchange places will charge you the full 20lbs regardless of whats left in your tank and will be $20+... the costco propane over a season will pay for your membership by itself if you don't already have one

This....my tank gauge said it was empty, took it to Costco, they filled it up and I paid the bill, it was about $5 they filled it up with.

spike98
08-08-2019, 07:57 AM
the only way to really know how much you use is by weighing the tank

No

https://mopeka.com/

and

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/safety-and-security/safety-solutions/gas-detectors/dometic-lp-gas-checker-_-30723

Uses ultrasonics to detect the levels from the bottom or with the other product, you can manually check level from the sides. They work well.

speedog
08-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Seasonal bump. Still like the Edmonton trail fill-in-go. Got two 20lb tanks filled today for $12.99 each. That's supposed to be the special Tuesday price, but maybe they are lazy and charge that 7 days a week? Or the young turbaned dude was hitting on me. Either way I like it. Regular price is $13.99. A good deal in any case even if your tank is not quite empty. Paying by weight would be a lot more.

My regular go to place fo propane and the young turbaned dude is cool, too easy to start shooting the shit with him about almost anything, very personable.

Thaco
08-08-2019, 01:17 PM
No

https://mopeka.com/

and

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/safety-and-security/safety-solutions/gas-detectors/dometic-lp-gas-checker-_-30723

Uses ultrasonics to detect the levels from the bottom or with the other product, you can manually check level from the sides. They work well.

Maybe not the only way, but definitely the only reasonable way, spend $60 to put a monitor on a $30 tank.... pass.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2019, 01:59 PM
I mean, there's always the hot water trick for measuring propane level too. Works best on a cooler day. Pour a kettle full of hot/boiling water down the side of the tank, wait five seconds, run your hand down the tank and the level that the metal is cold at is the level of the liquid propane inside. You can buy stick-on gauges that work on the same principle too. I don't need to check my propane every day, I check it before a trip, and then every four or five days if it's a longer trip. A $60 gadget? Nah. Maybe if I was camping in the winter or something.

spike98
08-08-2019, 02:28 PM
I mean, there's always the hot water trick for measuring propane level too. Works best on a cooler day. Pour a kettle full of hot/boiling water down the side of the tank, wait five seconds, run your hand down the tank and the level that the metal is cold at is the level of the liquid propane inside. You can buy stick-on gauges that work on the same principle too. I don't need to check my propane every day, I check it before a trip, and then every four or five days if it's a longer trip. A $60 gadget? Nah. Maybe if I was camping in the winter or something.

It is pretty costly, and the wireless systems even more so. I don't have one as i also feel cost vs benefit isn't' there. But, to say that weighing is the only reliable way is incorrect which is why i brought them up. These tools are proven and work quite well using pretty simple principals.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2019, 02:37 PM

suntan
08-08-2019, 03:12 PM
Just LOL at not bringing a scale with you when camping.

AndyL
08-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Cylewet 2Pcs 50kg 110lb Half-Bridge Weighing Sensor 3-Wired Load Cell Electric Resistance Strain Gauge for Arduino (Pack of 2) CLT1001 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DDFSBK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mmwtDbTJQ46R6

Arduino... I2c display... About 100 lines of code.

That'd be what 25$ for a pair of scales to permanently mount and little lcd to mount beside your tank monitors?:burnout: this is the 21st century...

Thaco
08-09-2019, 07:03 AM
Cylewet 2Pcs 50kg 110lb Half-Bridge Weighing Sensor 3-Wired Load Cell Electric Resistance Strain Gauge for Arduino (Pack of 2) CLT1001 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DDFSBK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mmwtDbTJQ46R6

Arduino... I2c display... About 100 lines of code.

That'd be what 25$ for a pair of scales to permanently mount and little lcd to mount beside your tank monitors?:burnout: this is the 21st century...

but most trailers have the tanks clamped down on to the hitch, so you'd still have to remove them to weigh, i'd rather just use a $5 luggage scale.

ExtraSlow
08-09-2019, 07:06 AM
How often do you guys even need to check your tanks?

dirtsniffer
08-09-2019, 07:10 AM
That wireless unit would be pretty handy if you live in the country and rely on a propane tank instead of NG

- - - Updated - - -

I check mine when it's empty. And it gets checked by me putting it in the truck to go fill

Thaco
08-09-2019, 08:16 AM

realistically never, especially with costco charging by usage, if i go somewhere unserviced for a weekend or 2 then i just swap the tank i was using for a spare full one i have at home and then take the partially used one to get it filled.,

But if i was somewhere unserviced for a week a more and used my spare it'd be nice to have an idea if i needed to run to town for a fill.

spike98
08-09-2019, 08:20 AM

We go for longer periods of time (5-7 days, sometimes longer) and sometimes as early/late as march/october. In the shoulder months, i check my tanks daily (3 x 20lb) because you do NOT want to run out of propane, dry camping, when the temps dip into the minus's at night, with the whole family, and about 2 hours from the nearest place to fuel up. When its that cold and you are heating a large space, you can burn through more than half a tank in a day.

I do plan on upgrading to 3 x 30lb soon though which will allow me to camp 6 or so days when its cold with no worries.

ExtraSlow
08-09-2019, 08:31 AM
We go for longer periods of time (5-7 days, sometimes longer) and sometimes as early/late as march/october. In the shoulder months, i check my tanks daily (3 x 20lb) because you do NOT want to run out of propane, dry camping, when the temps dip into the minus's at night, with the whole family, and about 2 hours from the nearest place to fuel up. When its that cold and you are heating a large space, you can burn through more than half a tank in a day.

I do plan on upgrading to 3 x 30lb soon though which will allow me to camp 6 or so days when its cold with no worries.

True enough, cold temps makes a huge difference. For my summer trips, my 2x20lb will last me 2 weeks without problem. I check mine before each trip, and if one is empty, I fill it. I don't mind leaving for a shorter trip, even 4-5 days, with one full tank and one nearly empty.

Anyway, clearly everyone has their own system. I LIKE all the tank gauge gadgets, I'm just too cheap to buy them. I'm also too lazy to bother filling tanks when they aren't empty if I don't have to.

AndyL
08-09-2019, 10:16 AM
but most trailers have the tanks clamped down on to the hitch, so you'd still have to remove them to weigh, i'd rather just use a $5 luggage scale.

Just untwist the clamp 2 turns when you get to site...

I was generally a tank every 7-10 days or so with the water heater on and the furnace at night.

We all camp different. I like monitoring gear - but that's me...

Tik-Tok
09-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Bump for a general inquiry. Was filling my two 30# tanks today ($53 from empty, so not terrible, but Extraslow is definitely getting a good deal at his gas n' go). But why are they called 30 lbs tanks, when they weight 25lbs empty, and almost 55 lbs full?

killramos
09-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Bump for a general inquiry. Was filling my two 30# tanks today ($53 from empty, so not terrible, but Extraslow is definitely getting a good deal at his gas n' go). But why are they called 30 lbs tanks, when they weight 25lbs empty, and almost 55 lbs full?

I’m no mathematician, but Because they hold 30lb of propane? Lol

ExtraSlow
09-19-2019, 02:53 PM
I’m no mathematician, but Because they hold 30lb of propane? Lol

Yeah, that's why. Although you usually can't quite fit 30 lbs into them, it's a little less because of the OPD (Overfill protection device). Most "20lb" tanks hold around 18 lbs of propane. It's a nominal measurement like how a 2x4 isn't 2 inches wide.

Also yes my place is the best deal.

Thaco
09-19-2019, 02:57 PM
yep, 30# propane capacity, but most places will only fill them 80-90% to allow for heat expansion

dirtsniffer
09-19-2019, 03:00 PM

sorry but that's too funny.

Tik-Tok
09-19-2019, 03:20 PM
:facepalm: I most definitely was having a brain-fart there.

ExtraSlow
08-09-2023, 06:59 AM
Necro-Bump. I buy so little propane this hardly matters, but Fill-n-go is charging $17.99 for a 20lb tank fill these days (including GST, it seems). I sked and the 30 lb is like $28.
They have a full cage of recertified 30 lb tanks, and some brand new 30 lbs tanks as well, if you need to "swap" your old ones out. Still my favourite place to get propane.

My current trailer came with 2x 30 lb tanks, both half full, and I don't know if I'll get either one empty this season to refill. Maybe.

spike98
08-09-2023, 09:57 AM
Necro-Bump. I buy so little propane this hardly matters, but Fill-n-go is charging $17.99 for a 20lb tank fill these days (including GST, it seems). I sked and the 30 lb is like $28.
They have a full cage of recertified 30 lb tanks, and some brand new 30 lbs tanks as well, if you need to "swap" your old ones out. Still my favourite place to get propane.

My current trailer came with 2x 30 lb tanks, both half full, and I don't know if I'll get either one empty this season to refill. Maybe.

Costco is still half that. 3x30lbs for $60 last time I filled.

ExtraSlow
08-09-2023, 10:02 AM
I believe it. If you are a Costco person and like waiting in lines it's probably always going to be cheaper. Personably I can drive to fill-n-go, get my tanks filled, and be home in less time than it takes me to even arrive at the nearest Costco Gas bar.

Always good to have options.

Tik-Tok
08-09-2023, 10:05 AM
I think Co-op is pretty close to fill-n-go. I didn't pay that close of attention to the receipt but it was $35 to completely fill one 30# tank and top up another that was probably 80% full already.

Definitely worth it to not be at a Costco.

suntan
08-09-2023, 10:18 AM
I like the tanks Costco sells though - built-in gauge.

BokCh0y
08-09-2023, 11:20 AM
I prefer Co-op vs. Costco just for the convenience and how much faster they are and no line.

spike98
08-09-2023, 12:58 PM
I prefer Co-op vs. Costco just for the convenience and how much faster they are and no line.

I think Co-op is pretty close to fill-n-go. I didn't pay that close of attention to the receipt but it was $35 to completely fill one 30# tank and top up another that was probably 80% full already.

Definitely worth it to not be at a Costco.

I believe it. If you are a Costco person and like waiting in lines it's probably always going to be cheaper. Personably I can drive to fill-n-go, get my tanks filled, and be home in less time than it takes me to even arrive at the nearest Costco Gas bar.

Always good to have options.

I guess I take for granted that i no longer have to brave the Calgary costco's. I still would always drive the distance to the cross iron location vs royal oak which was my closest. That one was the worst.

SJW
08-09-2023, 01:22 PM
There's 100lb tank beside my shop that needs a re-cert if anyone wants one.

arcticcat522
10-10-2023, 05:35 PM
Bump. Just got a re cert 30lb tank and fill from fill'n go. 27.14 for the fill, $45 for the re cert

ExtraSlow
11-21-2023, 05:59 PM
Filled a 20 and a 30 at fill-n-go today. Warms my heart and my bbq.