PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about switching from Telus to Virgin - will I regret it?

nagooro
04-29-2015, 01:03 AM
Have been with Telus for number of years, thinking about making the switch to Virgin for a slightly better plan and to buy the s6 edge outright, something that Telus won't let me do at the moment.

How is reception with Virgin? I do go up north to the rigs on occasion.

Any reasons why I should/shouldnt make the switch?

Thanks!

NoPulp
04-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Virgin was great until Bell bought it. Bell is by far the worst company I've ever dealt with and they have began to contaminant Virgin which a few years ago I was really happy with.

Have you considered Fido? I've been very happy with them.

gpomp
04-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Don't Telus, Bell, Koodo, and Virgin all use the same towers?

jwslam
04-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Have you considered Fido? I've been very happy with them.
I've been told Rogers/Fido has fewer towers up north. I get Rogers reception at our site just fine, but that's only at one site.
Speaking of which, right now, my Telus phone is 2 bars vs my Rogers phone is full bars (again, not comparable because I'm indoors and they're different phones)

Thaco
04-29-2015, 09:52 AM
it's all the same garbage, just go with whatever the best plan is, which realistically is nobody, because they all have the exact same plans, it's the longest running price fixing scheme in the history of the free market, but nobody will do anything about it.

Mitsu3000gt
04-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Bell/Telus are the worst IMO. I don't know a single person happy with them, and my entire family has switched to something else after starting out at either Bell or Telus. Now that Bell owns Virgin I would be skeptical.

I've been with Fido for 8.5 years and have only good things to say about them. They have treated me well, given me random discounts, waived numerous fees, and have no issues with outright phone purchases or keeping legacy plans.

Fido right now is $55 unlimited everything + 1GB data ($65 for 2GB), I don't think you can beat that without a legacy plan. None of the other (main) carriers come close to that as far as I could tell when I was looking recently.

schocker
04-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
Don't Telus, Bell, Koodo, and Virgin all use the same towers?
I believe so for HSPA & above. Coverage has been fine for me. I have been with VM for 9 years iirc. I like it because their plans are cheap. I just bought the S6 through costco as the kiosks wouldn't sell it to me. I have been happy overall except when trying to buy the phone online so don't try to do that. Currently I have 2gb unlimited mins/messages for $58.50 but I believe it went back up to $63.

Mitsu3000gt
04-29-2015, 11:15 AM
One more thing, I have noticed that the Fido network (and probably Rogers too) is quite a bit faster than Telus', at least in all areas that I have tested it. Running speedtest on identical phones sitting next to each other in various parts of the city, I always get better LTE speeds on my Fido phone than my Telus phone. Telus usually gives me 4-5 mbps, and Fido gives me 20+ mbps. Could just be the areas I live/work in though.

Sdeibert
04-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Yes you will, stay on the Telus side and switch to Koodo. "Move to Saskatchewan"and get the 5GB, unlimited call/text plan. Then port your old number in, if you want to keep it that is. Otherwise you'll have a 306-xxx-xxxx. This plan includes international text in/out from Canada.

Oh and it's $48 :thumbsup:

Mibz
04-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Bell/Telus are the worst IMO. I don't know a single person happy with them Classic Mitsu3000gt.

Mitsu3000gt
04-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Classic Mitsu3000gt.

Haha whatever you say! I have direct experience with them both for many years, as have many people close to me. I also have the ability to make objective side-by-side comparisons with identical hardware on two different networks. When I say I don't personally know anyone happy with them, that is not an exaggeration, and obviously may differ from someone else's experience, but doesn't make it untrue. Just another opinion to add to the pot, which I explained, no different than anyone elses :dunno:

Just because something doesn't match your personal experience doesn't make it untrue :thumbsup:

Mibz
04-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Just because something doesn't match your personal experience doesn't make it untrue :thumbsup: No, the fact that it's coming from you does.

Seth1968
04-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Arguing over shit VS shit.

:rofl:

Tik-Tok
04-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Bell/Telus are the worst IMO. I don't know a single person happy with them, and my entire family has switched to something else after starting out at either Bell or Telus.

I've been with Telus since Clearnet, have never had an issue, and am quite happy with them. Not that you know me.

blairtruck
04-29-2015, 05:45 PM
me and wife were with rogers for like 12 years on family plan. wanted to get 2 iphone 6 plus.
my wife works at capital health and their union bell deal could not be matched by rogers. so we switched. got the phones for free. plan is cheaper per month. only thing is we went from 6 gigs data each to 11 gigs shared.
we dont leave the city so coverage really is not a big deal.

codetrap
04-29-2015, 05:57 PM

JRSC00LUDE
05-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Bell/Telus are the worst IMO. I don't know a single person happy with them.

Hi, my name is Scott, now that we know each other I would like to take this opportunity to tell you the good news about our mutual friend "up there" in the heavens, Bell.

Wherever I am day or night, however I am feeling, Bell is always there to take my call. Bell knows when I need something, be it pizza, a cab or even a late night massage (wink-wink) and believe me - if you channel your thoughts through the power of Bell, they will not go unfulfilled. Bell always answers your calls.

So the next time you are unsure just ask yourself this one simple question, WWBD? To learn more, please visit Bell's faithful servants at any of these fine locations:

http://storelocator.bell.ca/bellca/en/AB/Calgary.html

Please, if you're still feeling unsure, Telus about it!

NoPulp
05-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

I've been told Rogers/Fido has fewer towers up north. I get Rogers reception at our site just fine, but that's only at one site.
Speaking of which, right now, my Telus phone is 2 bars vs my Rogers phone is full bars (again, not comparable because I'm indoors and they're different phones)

see everyone says that about rogers/fido. I've honestly not experienced this... I've found I have actually had better coverage with Fido then i did with Virgin and my family did with telus.

That's southern alberta though, not sure about the north.

CivicTunr
05-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Yeah up north Rogers sucks. It's why I switched to bell(best coverage) and now I'm with Virgin since it's owned by bell but cheaper.

nagooro
05-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the input. Going to call telus retentions today, if they can't help me out I will switch to either Virgin or koodo and pick up the s6 edge outright.

GQBalla
05-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by nagooro
Thanks for all the input. Going to call telus retentions today, if they can't help me out I will switch to either Virgin or koodo and pick up the s6 edge outright.

I wouldn't waste your time. Retentions doesn't do anything anymore

beyond_ban
05-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

I wouldn't waste your time. Retentions doesn't do anything anymore

Just Telus or pretty much all providers?

I am torn between sticking with apple and waiting for the new 6S or whatever it is going to be in September-ish or upgrading now to the S6. My plan doesn't expire until August but i have a free upgrade available now.

natty54
05-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I was thinking of the same thing

I know koodo released some new plans

https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Plans#

GQBalla
05-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Just Telus or pretty much all providers?

I am torn between sticking with apple and waiting for the new 6S or whatever it is going to be in September-ish or upgrading now to the S6. My plan doesn't expire until August but i have a free upgrade available now.

Telus i know for sure as I tried to get my GF on a better plan or a discounted phone almost two years ago now. I called a number of times and all the retention agents wouldn't budge.

Bell on the other hand gave me a retentions plan numerous times or discounted hardware. Last time they gave me a discounted plan was just over a year ago but the only kicked is their CSR i spoke to mis informed me when i bought an iPhone outright and my current plan only supported android Data.

I personally like Bells services but i recently joined my companies Rogers plan and nothing beats it but Wind

EK69
05-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

Telus i know for sure as I tried to get my GF on a better plan or a discounted phone almost two years ago now. I called a number of times and all the retention agents wouldn't budge.

Bell on the other hand gave me a retentions plan numerous times or discounted hardware. Last time they gave me a discounted plan was just over a year ago but the only kicked is their CSR i spoke to mis informed me when i bought an iPhone outright and my current plan only supported android Data.

I personally like Bells services but i recently joined my companies Rogers plan and nothing beats it but Wind

as far as i know theres no "android data" plan... data is data
only time it differed was back when blackberries used BIS services
now with the new blackberries they are all on the same data plans as iphones/androids. If you still have a legacy BB then that would still have the BIS legacy code though.

telus, bell, virgin, koodo all use the same towers for 3g and higher (basically thats all they have now, CDMA is pretty much dead. They don't have any edge/2g service though unlike rogers/fido which still provides 2g/edge service)

nagooro
05-04-2015, 09:16 PM
I ended up switching from Telus to Koodo. Got on the $45 promotional plan (ended yesterday).
Now I just need to find an s6 edge outright!

GQBalla
05-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by EK69

as far as i know theres no "android data" plan... data is data
only time it differed was back when blackberries used BIS services
now with the new blackberries they are all on the same data plans as iphones/androids. If you still have a legacy BB then that would still have the BIS legacy code though.

telus, bell, virgin, koodo all use the same towers for 3g and higher (basically thats all they have now, CDMA is pretty much dead. They don't have any edge/2g service though unlike rogers/fido which still provides 2g/edge service)

Dont ask me, all i know is switching from my note 3 to iphone 5s didn't work until bell switched over my data, this is what they say.