PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Musicians! Jam Lately?

JMaj7
04-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Hey Beyond!

I know some of you guys play instruments. I've been given a hosting gig by a good friend of mine named Kaley Kinjo. Those of you that know him must agreed when I say he's a stand up guy and a hardworking artist/musician. He grew it for about a year and passed it on to me.

Since I took over, I seem to have been drawing musicians along with some rappers and singer/songwriters. This led me to open up the stage to musicians, but in an improvisational setting.

I branded it "Groove Theory", took my camera to the last 6 weeks and took shots/videos, started a Facebook page and now I'm trying to reach out to more players.

If you go through the Facebook page, you'll notice that we have had some pretty cool moments and all kinds of talent passes by. I'd love to see people like finboy come down with a pedal or two and initiate a jam.

I'll copy n paste some of the stuff I've written up for online promo so you get a sense of how the evening works. Any advice/feedback/ideas would be great. I'm new to this hosting thing but I can lay down a groove on demand. Hope you guys come out and jam one day.

CALLING OUT EMCEES SINGERS POETS AND SPOKEN WORD ARTISTS !!

An Open-Ended, Free Form, perfectly imperfect, "do wat u feel" Open Mic/Jam

GROOVE THEORY - The Musician's Jam Vol. 7 - hosted by Jory Kinjo

EVERY THURSDAY at Below Deck Tavern | 9 PM

LIKE the facebook page for upcoming host bands, pictures, videos and updates ! check out who's hosting next !!

www.facebook.com/groovetheorycalgary

Bring Your Instrument and if you think you can add to the music, JUMP ON - hopefully we will see some Brass this Week !

How is this a "musician's" jam?

For starters, the jam itself is held by a group of musicians from the Calgary live music scene. Secondly, during the course of the evening, we put a random groups of musicians on stage, we have an audience member name the group and we let one person develop an idea so that the rest of the group can build on it. sometimes we will throw a rapper or a singer to lead the group.

soul | reggae | ska | blues | rnb | rocksteady | doo wop | funk | groove

• 19c Wings •

Below Deck DOWNSTAIRS right beside Flames Central at 8:30 PM

Backline Provided. bring horns, guitars, basses, cymbals, tambourines, cowbells, triangles...

zipdoa
04-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Do you have any drums?

JMaj7
04-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Drums are there. Just bring cymbals, sticks, your favourite snare maybe - The usual breakables.

Graham_A_M
04-30-2015, 02:26 PM
I play bass. Have been for 19 years now, used to play for two bands in town, I'm very good, I play 7,6,5 string basses . I'd be down next time I'm down in the C dot. One thing I'd recommend doing is dropping the poetry. Kind of a buzz kill to have someone walk up and reading off some crap they've written.