PDA

View Full Version : lifted shelf construction

Kloubek
04-30-2015, 08:35 PM
My garage has high ceilings so I am planning on using the area above the garage door for storage. Nothing crazy.... Maybe 4 feet deep, and to hold a few tires but mainly light camping equipment, etc.

My garage is 16 feet, 3 1/4 inches wide. As it is quite narrow I can't have a center post so I'll need the supporting beam to freespan the entire width.

The plan was originally to nail a doubled up 2x6 on each side to support the beam. I'd probably cantilever a platform of 2x4s and plywood on top of the beam. I could use the beam as one side to turn platform itself too. The back side (side closest to the door) would just be attached to a ledger board on the wall above the door.

1) Given the light load, what size beam can I get away with? I initially thought a tripled up 2x12 would work but I'd rather go with 2x10s If it is strong enough to not sag.

2) how do I get around the fact that the garage is just over 16 feet, yet dimensional lumber doesn't tend to come longer? (Plus, transporting longer than 16 feet could prove difficult) I know there are fabricated or laminated beams available, but I'd rather stick with regular lumber as the new Reno Depot is just down the street from me, and I can wing transportation of long items that short distance.

JRSC00LUDE
04-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Make supports at either end of the span for the beam to rest on? 6" each side?

Haha, re reading that was your plan.... :banghead:

Darell_n
04-30-2015, 08:44 PM
2" angle iron hanging from 3/8" threaded rod and ceiling flanges. I wouldn't bother with wood.

Kloubek
04-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Darell - if you have the time, do you mind expanding on your solution? You mean build the entire thing out of angle iron? (Minus plywood) Ie: Welding?

Darell_n
04-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Darell - if you have the time, do you mind expanding on your solution? You mean build the entire thing out of angle iron? (Minus plywood) Ie: Welding?

Yup, all iron with a plywood deck. If you weld then it's even better but it could be bolted together as well. This way its less bulky and won't sage under the weight your ceiling joists can hold. Lighter duty angle iron is fine, like 3/16".

G
04-30-2015, 10:38 PM
BjOOvbnntOw

http://www.onrax.com/Ascension1.htm

$2800 for 2 supplied and installed by Ultimate Garage

G
04-30-2015, 10:43 PM
The non motorized ones are on sale

http://www.onrax.com/products.htm

Kloubek
04-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Interesting Darell. I'll look into that.

If I do go with wood though, I have concluded using posts isn't the best route. The beam required is too big, heavy expensive and difficult to work with. If I build a 2x4 frame with joists I can solidly support it by just anchoring the sides and back to the wall studs and support the front with a couple of threaded bar as you suggested. (Chain and heavy screw in eyelets should work too). With this plan, I can use the side boards to shore up the extra width over 16'. It'd actually be a 1/4 inch not wide enough, but thats quite negligible.

OK.... Thanks Darell.... having someone simply state that supporting it from the ceiling got me thinking In the right direction.

And Thanks G, but as Cool as that system is, I'm trying to keep this around a couple of bills. Currently unemployed. :)

Kloubek
05-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Well, finished the lofted area in a day. Took Darell's advice and went with ceiling supports as opposed to messing with a heavy beam and posts. Decided to make it out of wood though, since I know how to work with wood better.

http://www3.telus.net/kloubek/loft.jpg