PDA

View Full Version : Question re: camping at McLean, Ghost, etc

woodywoodford
05-03-2015, 06:52 PM
I've never camped out there so want to make sure I play by the rules (I guess the questions apply to anything thats not inside a park)

Can I set up camp pretty much anywhere I want as long as the vehicles stay on the trail? Maybe hike in a bit to get some privacy? Or do you still need to stick with designated spots?

Can I set up a campfire in a fire ring aka on the ground, or do they still want you to use an above ground unit? I'm not an idiot, I just don't want to get in shit when it's as simple as asking beforehand.

Darell_n
05-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Fire ring is fine as long as the fire ban is off. There is also a minimum distance from the road for camping, normally I think it's 1 km, although I've seen areas up in Ghost that want free campers to stay in designated 'pods'.

Don't bother camping in McLean, it's a garbage dump and full of idiots.

mazdavirgin
05-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Fire ring is fine as long as the fire ban is off. There is also a minimum distance from the road for camping, normally I think it's 1 km, although I've seen areas up in Ghost that want free campers to stay in designated 'pods'.

Don't both camping in McLean, it's a garbage dump and full of idiots.

The ghost isn't any better. People shooting up cars and outhouses with rifles/shot guns. General red neck idiocy. Last place I would ever want to camp frankly.

Darell_n
05-03-2015, 10:15 PM
At least Ghost area is large enough a person can still find quieter areas.

ExtraSlow
05-04-2015, 06:45 AM
I wouldn't go to those areas on a long weekend.

mr2mike
05-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Head North towards Sundre...