PDA

View Full Version : Thales banned?

Robin Goodfellow
05-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Saw a reference in another thread to Thales being banned.

I can't imagine why - Granted, his views are often unpopular, and sometimes he can show hints of arrogance, but more than anything, he provides vallue in forcing all of us to look at things a different way.

If he's banned, I call foul.

rage2
05-04-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm guessing it's because he's threatening people over PM. If we were banning him for his unpopular views we would have done it ages ago.

J.M.
05-04-2015, 07:14 PM
cool story brah

eglove
05-04-2015, 07:45 PM
There was no value

Seth1968
05-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
Saw a reference in another thread to Thales being banned.

I can't imagine why - Granted, his views are often unpopular, and sometimes he can show hints of arrogance, but more than anything, he provides vallue in forcing all of us to look at things a different way.

Is your arrogance and tenacity not willing to understands that others do the same without insult and arrogance?

Seth1968
05-04-2015, 08:21 PM
And their is this idiotic notion of economic growth.

It doesn't get get much more stupid than that.

cancer man
05-04-2015, 08:30 PM
I say bring back Arash you can't buy entertainment like that.

FraserB
05-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Why was Arash banned?

beyond_ban
05-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Why was Arash banned?

Read the thread?

dirtsniffer
05-04-2015, 08:50 PM
For knowing the truth and the truth must be Suppressed.

I still don't like how the same day toma takes a break Thales shows up and practically the same moment he's banned toma reappears. Where's Arash to sleuth this out when you need him.

Graham_A_M
05-04-2015, 09:18 PM
^hahaha, I figured as much. I asked Thales if he could dyno tune my car knowing that, I never got a response. :rofl:, but that was perhaps a day before he was banned. Yeah long ago has per a comment that I made about him being schizophrenic about Toma, he PM'ed me this.
Edit, here

Howdy

Lick my balls._

Sorry that was my schizophrenic friend.

It's like, oh okay :)

baygirl
05-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
For knowing the truth and the truth must be Suppressed.

I still don't like how the same day toma takes a break Thales shows up and practically the same moment he's banned toma reappears. Where's Arash to sleuth this out when you need him.
Toma didn't realize he was logged in as Toma(not Thales) when he started the new thread. Realizes his mistake and uses his mod powers to change Thales to banned(kinda like googe is banned)
/conspiracy

I realize this conspiracy has a major hole(why would Thales need to be banned for Toma to be back), but my tin foil hat is new and I haven't figured it all out yet.

Tik-Tok
05-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

Toma didn't realize he was logged in as Toma(not Thales) when he started the new thread. Realizes his mistake and uses his mod powers to change Thales to banned(kinda like googe is banned)
/conspiracy

I realize this conspiracy has a major hole(why would Thales need to be banned for Toma to be back), but my tin foil hat is new and I haven't figured it all out yet.

I figured Toma just used a computer/tablet/phone he hasn't been on for awhile. He knew "Thales" end was coming soon anyways.

He played up being the big asshole just so we'd be thankful for regular old Toma :rofl:

dirtsniffer
05-04-2015, 11:44 PM
The only problem is im pretty sure they are different people. if you go to performance shop they both post. Thales as vroy. Maybe they are related or friends irl or something

Tik-Tok
05-05-2015, 12:05 AM
The only problem is im pretty sure they are different people. if you go to performance shop they both post. Thales as vroy. Maybe they are related or friends irl or something

I was being fasciscous, but maybe I should have e-stalked you, found your real name, and then PM'd you a thinly veiled threat so you'd understand my "humor" :poosie:

NoPulp
05-05-2015, 07:22 AM
Thales got banned for bad taste in hockey.

Sugarphreak
05-05-2015, 08:20 AM

btimbit
05-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Finally.

I don't care if his views were unpopular but you couldn't have a discussion with the guy without him bashing anyone that disagreed with him. He had no interest in discussion he just wanted to preach, so good riddance.

Toma, who is also a bit 'out there' with some of his theories, you can at least have an intelligent conversation with.

Mibz
05-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Thales as vroy. Holy crap, it all makes sense now.

A790
05-05-2015, 04:44 PM
:rofl:

rx7_turbo2
05-05-2015, 05:36 PM
I think it was the plan all along.

Toma takes a much needed break, enter Thales who rattles around here for few months acting like a complete asshat in forums and PM's then when the inevitable ban hammer drops Toma makes a triumphant return and now he looks like a saint when compared to Thales. :rofl:

As long as we don't have to deal with both at the same time ;)

heavyfuel
05-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Who the fuck calls themselves a Greek philosophizer to begin with?

Robin Goodfellow
05-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
Finally.

I don't care if his views were unpopular but you couldn't have a discussion with the guy without him bashing anyone that disagreed with him. He had no interest in discussion he just wanted to preach, so good riddance.

Toma, who is also a bit 'out there' with some of his theories, you can at least have an intelligent conversation with.

He could be a bit abrasive at times, but it's not like it's an exception around here, where sharp swords and thick skins are damned near mandatory.

If folks can't handle it, I'm sure there are lots of knitting and gardening forums where everyone is always nice.

If I had a nickle for every time someone was a jerk to me on here, I'd have like 4 bucks. Just the culture of the forum.... Seems odd to hold that over one individual's head.

A790
05-06-2015, 12:25 PM

He could be a bit abrasive at times, but it's not like it's an exception around here, where sharp swords and thick skins are damned near mandatory.

If folks can't handle it, I'm sure there are lots of knitting and gardening forums where everyone is always nice.

If I had a nickle for every time someone was a jerk to me on here, I'd have like 4 bucks. Just the culture of the forum.... Seems odd to hold that over one individual's head.
Thales was banned because he stepped beyond being abrasive and became abusive. He was PMing members, threatening to find who they were and "cause problems", etc.

There's a line that you do not cross. Thales crossed it and was banned. This isn't some conspiracy, Robin, it's common sense.

If we banned people for having unpopular opinions, you, Arash, Thales, and others would have been banned long ago.

Thales was banned because he stepped over the line. Call foul all you want. Notice how you remain an active member. Cross that line, though, and that will also change.

btimbit
05-06-2015, 12:54 PM

I'd say the main difference is Thales seemed to do it for the sake of doing it. He enjoyed the attention, and got a kick out of stirring the pot. He contributed nothing to the forum other than being that guy with unpopular opinions that you couldn't have a conversation with.

In my opinion getting rid of someone like that is massive addition by subraction. Beyond is a better place without that type of poster, even before you count in the fact that he got abusive.

Robin Goodfellow
05-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by A790

Thales was banned because he stepped beyond being abrasive and became abusive. He was PMing members, threatening to find who they were and "cause problems", etc.

There's a line that you do not cross. Thales crossed it and was banned. This isn't some conspiracy, Robin, it's common sense.

A poster earlier in the thread related this information. While I don't know the details, I've never seen beyond as overmoderated, and assume some serious lines were crossed.

I'm not sure why you would need to clarify whether or not a conspiracy is or is not involved. A strange comment.

If we banned people for having unpopular opinions, you, Arash, Thales, and others would have been banned long ago.

And you've have a dead forum - Such arbitrary and authoritarian censorship has a very chilling effect upon civil exchange.

Thales was banned because he stepped over the line. Call foul all you want. Notice how you remain an active member. Cross that line, though, and that will also change.

I don't see that I've given any reason to think that I'd PMing threats to folks, but think it's simply awesome that you've gone out of your way to emphasize the power you hold.

rx7_turbo2
05-07-2015, 07:02 PM
And he's back :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bob the Cat
Oh course I couldn't stay away. I was banned for objecting to harassment.

If you want everyone to think the same as you, and be the same as you. You are on the right site.

My input in how this site is run is valueless. However there is a false opinion that this site is centrist.

I simply pointed out that it is not.

Do with that what you will.

p.s. Was it hard to figure out that I was thales, when I signed my name to may post?

Tik-Tok
05-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Banned for objecting to harassment? Guy is freaking delusional. Oh well, that was his first and final post, right?

A790
05-07-2015, 07:24 PM
A poster earlier in the thread related this information. While I don't know the details, I've never seen beyond as overmoderated, and assume some serious lines were crossed.

I'm not sure why you would need to clarify whether or not a conspiracy is or is not involved. A strange comment.

And you've have a dead forum - Such arbitrary and authoritarian censorship has a very chilling effect upon civil exchange.

I don't see that I've given any reason to think that I'd PMing threats to folks, but think it's simply awesome that you've gone out of your way to emphasize the power you hold.
My apologies. I wasn't trying to emphasize the power I held (or similar). I suppose I was venting my frustrations via response because I really don't appreciate when people make accusations of unfairness. Or, in your case, "crying foul" (hence my comment regarding the conspiracy).

I feel the moderation on this forum is very level and fair. I was trying to emphasize that bans happen only in select circumstances. It's actually pretty difficult to get banned from this forum.

Your accusation of foul play implies that people of different viewpoints are banned, but your very existence on the forums proves otherwise. The point I was trying to make was that you can continue to post, question the mods, have dramatically different viewpoints, etc. so long as you don't cross the line as Thales did.

If my first response was aggressive, it is only because the accusation of foul play itself is unfounded.

Robin Goodfellow
05-07-2015, 08:42 PM

Your accusation of foul play implies that people of different viewpoints are banned, but your very existence on the forums proves otherwise. The point I was trying to make was that you can continue to post, question the mods, have dramatically different viewpoints, etc. so long as you don't cross the line as Thales did.

If my first response was aggressive, it is only because the accusation of foul play itself is unfounded.

You're right, and I see I jumped the gun. I called foul based on assumptions without asking why first.

Given that I don't know the full story, I'll have to take it on faith that he was threatening to dox people via email.

I think it would be great if anyone would care to share any of the offending emails.

Thales, if you're lurking, drop me a line. I enjoyed your unique POV, and would like to keep in touch.

A790
05-07-2015, 08:52 PM
:) I'm glad that we got that sorted.

Str1der
05-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Hand jobs all round, then?

egmilano
05-08-2015, 10:35 PM

Thales, if you're lurking, drop me a line. I enjoyed your unique POV, and would like to keep in touch.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/855/35xyux.jpg