PDA

View Full Version : Fitbit and other health monitors. Which is best

VWEvo
05-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Want to get a fitbit or some health monitor. Which is the best and where is the best place to buy? Discuss

riander5
05-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Fitbit. Buy mine iv never used it. 70 bucks :thumbsup:

firebane
05-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Fitbit.. Biggest waste of money.

jwslam
05-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Apple watch, duh! Beyond ballin'

But really, depends what you're doing. If you want just a step counter, google fit on androids will do that already, vs if you want all the sleep stuff or calorie intake counter

spikerS
05-05-2015, 07:38 AM
be warned, these things become your new mistress, and you will find yourself doing whatever it takes to please her.

zipdoa
05-05-2015, 07:43 AM
IIFYM and MyFitnessPal on your smartphone is probably the best bet. Use the IIFYM Macro calculator to estimate TDEE and then scale out your meal preps/shakes/non-variable daily meals to get an accurate estimation of your caloric intake.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

firebane
05-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Apple watch, duh! Beyond ballin'

But really, depends what you're doing. If you want just a step counter, google fit on androids will do that already, vs if you want all the sleep stuff or calorie intake counter

The Fitbits step counter unless fixed is/was really flawed. It would register a hand shake as a few steps.

riander5
05-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by firebane

The Fitbits step counter unless fixed is/was really flawed. It would register a hand shake as a few steps.

Just take it easy on the coffee in the morning man

BavarianBeast
05-05-2015, 08:38 AM
All the women I know swear on their fitbits. Lots have tried the Polar ones/apps on phones and they all say fitbit is the way to go.

:dunno:

firebane
05-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
All the women I know swear on their fitbits. Lots have tried the Polar ones/apps on phones and they all say fitbit is the way to go.

Women can be sold onto anything that is a gimmick.

spikerS
05-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

Women can be sold onto anything that is a gimmick.

I can't comment on that over fear of castration.

nzwasp
05-05-2015, 11:05 AM
I have a fitbit and I live it but the one thing i hate is having to charge the fucking battery every week, for that reason alone i havent worn it for about a week.

sneek
05-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I have a fitbit and I live it but the one thing i hate is having to charge the fucking battery every week, for that reason alone i havent worn it for about a week.

It all depends on what kind of activities you do, but check out the Mi Band. :rofl: as long as you are OK sending your information to China they work pretty well. The biggest draw is that it has 30 days of battery life. The app is much better looking than Fitbit but it is mostly a step and sleep counter. Lastly, the Mi band is only $20

revelations
05-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
Want to get a fitbit or some health monitor. Which is the best and where is the best place to buy? Discuss

Depends on what you plan on doing with it.

For eg. Cycling? Not really useful unless you go all out with the Surge model with GPS. Look at the MS Band at the price as well.

98type_r
05-05-2015, 03:48 PM
FWIW, all of these bands over count steps taken in a day due to simple movements that are mistakenly interpreted as steps.

I've had a fitbit flex for probably 2 years now, it does it's job and their customer service is easily the best in the industry. The newer models have more features, but then it's almost watch sized bracelet so it's a matter of personal preference.

ercchry
05-05-2015, 03:53 PM
fitbit works well for the women, no one wants to be the fat friend, so they always try to one up each other... but i guess its pretty much whatever everyone else has even if its not the best so you can play with your friends... like apple ;)

Khyron
05-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Going to actually do runs, bikes or swims, with some frequency? Garmin Fenix 3 or Forerunner 920XT. Just going to count steps and buzz if you sit too long, fitbit or just your phone will do the job. Vivosmart looks interesting as a band for a bit more.

Tie it with MyFitnessPal for food tracking and it all updates automatically.

I have yet to find one with a working HR monitor without using a full chest strap. There are some interesting 1 week sticker HR monitors coming down the pipe tho. I have a Mio which lasts about 12 hrs at a time, but it's crap if you're actually doing cardio.

Alterac
05-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Stiiv has some good products too, my sister swears by hers.

http://www.striiv.com/striivtouch/

revelations
05-06-2015, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Alterac
Stiiv has some good products too, my sister swears by hers.

http://www.striiv.com/striivtouch/

Definitely a woman thing. It has games that grow grass the more active you are - plus I DONT want my watch beeping for messages, etc. Thats what a phone is for.

Either body track or tell time, I dont need a BS smart watch.

ExtraSlow
05-24-2016, 01:49 PM
Just joined the Fitbit club. Know tons of folks running the charge HR, so that's what I bought. I'm not a cyclist, so it should be accurate enough for me. Really just need something to help me stay motivated to move around more. The HR feature should be interesting, if not terribly "useful".

Mitsu3000gt
05-24-2016, 01:55 PM
I don't think I know one person who has used a Fitbit more than a month or two, and I know a lot of people who had/have them haha. The data accuracy also isn't the greatest, it's just a ball park.

The thing is that most people's routines don't change much, so after it kind of tells you roughly what you do in a given day/week/month they lose appeal. They are also kind of annoying to wear 24/7 and battery life isn't great.

If you have a group of friends who likes to compete and tweet and share everything they do though, you will probably get more use out of it. Or if you're just starting a growing workout plan that you will see constant improvement from, it might help visualize it for motivation which isn't a bad thing. They are cheap enough it doesn't really matter, but from what I've seen they are mostly a gimmick.

They are also in the sweet spot of the gift giving price range, so I think a lot of people get them that way.

benyl
05-24-2016, 02:00 PM
best place for reviews on these items. He reviews almost all of them and finally did one on the apple watch.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com

Minimalist
05-24-2016, 02:08 PM
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-fitness-tracker/

They say none of the above ones Beyonders mentioned and they tested them all.

schocker
05-24-2016, 02:30 PM
New pebbles are on the way for those that can wait, also the Pebble Core is a super cool idea.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-2-time-2-and-core-an-entirely-new-3g-ultra

Looks like some preview info from benyls website:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/05/initial-thoughts-on-pebbles-new-optical-hr-time-2-and-3g-gps-connected-core.html

Basically a wifi/3g/gps/bluetooth ipod shuffle with 4gb of internal memory.

I kickstarted the time 2 and the core (Fall and Jan 17 respectively)

I had a fitbit for a while before the recall and really liked it but the screen was scratched like crazy (Fitbit Force). I almost bought a blaze when they were on sale but held off. Researching recently, the garmin are also good options. Apparently the under armor one is good also but it is $$$ imo.

It all depends on your needs due to battery life, heartrate, waterproof, what apps it works with etc.

Brent.ff
05-24-2016, 03:22 PM
My favorite day was fly fishing with my fitbit out of my drift boat. I may have done a total of 60 steps, it counted 40,000...

The way it calculates distance is out of wack too. We climbed Athabasca, and i had my fitbit and strava going. Fitbit said something like 30 km, strava (with GPS) was 12..

Masked Bandit
05-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
be warned, these things become your new mistress, and you will find yourself doing whatever it takes to please her.

This hit the nail on the head for me. A year ago I bought a Fitbit Charge HR simply because it seemed to be the best all-round option. It's not deadly accurate but I don't think that's a realistic expectation either. Having that nagging little reminder sitting on your wrist is awfully addictive. Sometimes that's all the motivation you need to get moving on a regular basis.

That which gets measured, gets managed.

I use that concept in business and it works just the same for this. Over the past year I've dropped 70 lbs all while CANCELLING my gym membership. Just walking & a bit of running (nothing crazy) and body weight resistance (push-up & such) and having the Fitbit as tool along the way was one of the keys to success.

CLiVE
05-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Going to actually do runs, bikes or swims, with some frequency? Garmin Fenix 3 or Forerunner 920XT. Just going to count steps and buzz if you sit too long, fitbit or just your phone will do the job. Vivosmart looks interesting as a band for a bit more.

Tie it with MyFitnessPal for food tracking and it all updates automatically.

I have yet to find one with a working HR monitor without using a full chest strap. There are some interesting 1 week sticker HR monitors coming down the pipe tho. I have a Mio which lasts about 12 hrs at a time, but it's crap if you're actually doing cardio.

Best answer. If you plan on multi-sport activities the 2 mentioned (Garmin Fenix 3 and Forerunner 920XT) are the best, or the new Forerunner 735XT (battery life limited to 14hrs though, and a few less features).

For an "activity" tracker/watch that can get you through swim, bikes, runs. (lacks a tri mode) but still has activity tracking, also check out the Garmin VivoActive, and new VivoActive HR. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabletech/wearables/vivoactive-hr/prod538374.html

The HR will free you from the chest strap; but agree the wrist sensors are nowhere near as accurate.

D'z Nutz
05-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

Best answer. If you plan on multi-sport activities the 2 mentioned (Garmin Fenix 3 and Forerunner 920XT) are the best, or the new Forerunner 735XT (battery life limited to 14hrs though, and a few less features).

For an "activity" tracker/watch that can get you through swim, bikes, runs. (lacks a tri mode) but still has activity tracking, also check out the Garmin VivoActive, and new VivoActive HR. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabletech/wearables/vivoactive-hr/prod538374.html

The HR will free you from the chest strap; but agree the wrist sensors are nowhere near as accurate.

If anyone is looking for a Garmin Fenix 3, London Drugs is clearing them out for $550. Lot of sweet features, but it's more than I need. I ended up finding an almost new Fenix 2 for $160 on Kijiji, which suits my needs despite all the known issues.

mazdavirgin
05-24-2016, 04:45 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/fitbit-trackers-are-highly-inaccurate-study-finds-n578631

Food for thought... :dunno:

firebane
05-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/fitbit-trackers-are-highly-inaccurate-study-finds-n578631

Not surprised. I had one of the first Fitbits on the market and returned it because of the inaccuracy of the unit.

For example it had a "step counter" built into it so Christmas morning I strapped the unit on and drove for 3 hours to Edmonton and then spent the day there and then drove home for another 3 hours. The time I spent driving the Fitbit recorded everytime I shook my wrist or turned the wheel as a step.

Now apparently they have fixed this to be "better" but I still wouldn't trust any of the results to be "accurate"

schocker
05-24-2016, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

I don't know if I trust that as prior tests have found it is accurate enough for a consumer grade product .

The study was commissioned by the Lieff Cabraser, the law firm behind the class action suit that is taking aim at three Fitbit models that use the PurePulse heart monitor, including the Fitbit Blaze, Fitbit Charge HR and Fitbit Surge.

Not surprised. I had one of the first Fitbits on the market and returned it because of the inaccuracy of the unit.

For example it had a "step counter" built into it so Christmas morning I strapped the unit on and drove for 3 hours to Edmonton and then spent the day there and then drove home for another 3 hours. The time I spent driving the Fitbit recorded everytime I shook my wrist or turned the wheel as a step.

Now apparently they have fixed this to be "better" but I still wouldn't trust any of the results to be "accurate"
Pedometers can't really avoid that though as they are tracking movement as steps. Not sure how that can be fixed .

ExtraSlow
05-25-2016, 07:14 AM
I don't much care for accuracy of the steps. Over time, I'm comfortable that the trends are good enough, and if I have a day where my step count is low, the best way to increase that is to go for a walk, not figure out some way to trick it into thinking I have gone for a walk.

nzwasp
05-25-2016, 08:02 AM
I got a fit bit at the end of 2014 and it was great for the first 9 months and then the battery just turned to shit and now it has to be charged almost everyday. Think i'd rather use that misfit one that has a watch battery in it.

lilmira
05-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Heart rate is probably a better parameter to measure how hard your body is working. Find out your max and resting heart rate, then you can define the zones in between. That's what I do for cycling, can't be that much different for any other activities. Once you know your zones, you can do whatever you want, say zone2 for an hour or zone 4 for half an hour. As for accuracy, even the chest strap can be out of wack for whatever reason. After a while though you should have a pretty good idea of how hard your body is working, the reading is more a confirmation for me now. If it's off by a few beats, who the hell cares?

riander5
05-25-2016, 09:17 AM
lol fitbits

95EG6P
05-25-2016, 09:45 AM
my wife has the fitbit blaze and seems be liking it so far

blindsight
05-25-2016, 09:51 AM

blindsight
05-25-2016, 09:57 AM

blindsight
05-25-2016, 10:05 AM

killramos
05-25-2016, 10:11 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/db/0a/3c/db0a3c6d113dac3c469469774b3106ca.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/26/5a/8f/265a8fc7824b131d925ba084e8bc0c52.jpg

Always a funny subject.

Personally, I don't know about you guys, I have no problem knowing when i am getting exercise lol

Have any of you considered just using the ones built into your phones ( at least iPhones )? I heard some tests showed they are just as accurate as the dedicated ones and those are "free".

schocker
05-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Always a funny subject.

Personally, I don't know about you guys, I have no problem knowing when i am getting exercise lol

Have any of you considered just using the ones built into your phones ( at least iPhones )? I heard some tests showed they are just as accurate as the dedicated ones and those are "free".
It is nice to be able to get data from a fitness device. Also, many don't have their phone on them at all times, so if they want to know how many steps they walked or how far they ran, that would be an issue.

blindsight
05-25-2016, 11:35 AM

Strider
05-25-2016, 03:06 PM
I use an MS band2 for tracking my commute on my bike and running - mostly just care about how far (GPS) and how fast. Couldn't care less about step counting or activity reminders, and not hardcore enough to need a lot of precision in heart rate monitoring.

Undecided on the quasi-smartphone functionality like notifications... it's nice to have, but not too useful.

I like that MS keeps adding new functionality every once in a while.

Worst thing about it is the terrible battery life (charge once a day).

bigbadboss101
05-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by blindsight
I knew I was sedentary most of the day behind a computer, but when I saw I was getting less than 1000 steps before dinner it was a wake up call. I needed something to motivate me after quitting martial arts a year ago, the fitbit did help wake me up a bit. Now I use it to make sure i'm getting the 1hr exercise + 4000 steps or 10000 steps daily. Seeing sleep habits with the heart rate tracker is nice as well, I can nail now my restless nights and try to find out why they happen.

You should start up martial art again, and play ball hockey on Friday nights! Winter especially can be bad in terms of activities unless one likes to do outdoor winter sports. But you are right I too sit at my desk most of the day and need to try and get 8000 steps in at least and do some other cardio and resistant training.

shakalaka
05-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Ever since I got the Apple Watch I don't use my Fitbit anymore. I find the watch much better overall. But every now and then I feel like switching watches so what I do is switch to Apple Watch prior to gym/work out etc and that usually just calculates whatever I do. That's the only negative thing about it. Unless I wear both a regular watch on one hand and apple on the other which then looks idiotic. Lol.

blindsight
05-26-2016, 10:05 PM

jdmXSI
05-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

If anyone is looking for a Garmin Fenix 3, London Drugs is clearing them out for $550. Lot of sweet features, but it's more than I need. I ended up finding an almost new Fenix 2 for $160 on Kijiji, which suits my needs despite all the known issues.

How long ago was that? Their website shows 799 now.

Stupid thread is gonna cost me money haha

D'z Nutz
05-28-2016, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

How long ago was that? Their website shows 799 now.

Stupid thread is gonna cost me money haha

It's not listed on the website. You have to go in-store for the pricing. They've been trying to clear them out for at least the last couple of months and when I checked the London Drugs on 130th last weekend they had at least one so they're still kicking around.

http://i.imgur.com/VG1917K.jpg

OU812
05-28-2016, 07:44 AM
How are the Garmin vios?

D'z Nutz
05-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Here's a Fenix 2 with a HRM for a good price if anyone's looking for one

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-exercise-equipment/calgary/garmin-fenix-2-with-original-box-garmin-hrm3/1169063792

I'm really loving mine for tracking my bike rides!

ExtraSlow
05-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Was running one of those stupid daily challenges with the fitbit. I thought I was in the lead, until my buddy decided to go for a 90 minute elliptical run at 10:00 at night. He stayed in the cardio and peak zones nearly the entire time. :eek: Damn him, he passed me easily. :rofl:

I guess it really is promoting healthier behaviour though, because the only reason he did it was to beat me.

jdmXSI
05-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

It's not listed on the website. You have to go in-store for the pricing. They've been trying to clear them out for at least the last couple of months and when I checked the London Drugs on 130th last weekend they had at least one so they're still kicking around.

http://i.imgur.com/VG1917K.jpg

Thanks, picked one up today! Just waiting for the update now for 7.0...

D'z Nutz
05-29-2016, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

Thanks, picked one up today! Just waiting for the update now for 7.0...

Awesome! Which location? And was there anymore left after you got yours?

jdmXSI
05-29-2016, 11:44 PM
I was downtown and picked up one from Atmosphere on 10th. It was this year's model and were willing to sell it for close to LD's sale price! Thanks again!

klumsy_tumbler
05-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Was running one of those stupid daily challenges with the fitbit. I thought I was in the lead, until my buddy decided to go for a 90 minute elliptical run at 10:00 at night. He stayed in the cardio and peak zones nearly the entire time. :eek: Damn him, he passed me easily. :rofl:

I guess it really is promoting healthier behaviour though, because the only reason he did it was to beat me.

I know what you mean... A bunch of coworkers and I always do these challenges, and someone always ends up bailing on lunch plans to sneak in an extra run to get back into the lead. Really brings out the competitive nature around the office :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ExtraSlow
05-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Idiots competing with idiots will bring out competitive idiocy. I guess in this case that's called a virtuous cycle?

ExtraSlow
06-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Idiots competing with idiots will bring out competitive idiocy. I guess in this case that's called a virtuous cycle? Must be true. I'm in a weekend warrior competition right now, and I went for a two hour walk last night, and another hundred minutes or so first thing this morning.

TurboMedic
06-06-2016, 04:52 PM
I've been using my Fitbit charge HR which Costco has now for a couple weeks. I'm fit already, I play a ton of hockey, I cycle, I have no need for the motivators. I bought it to just see out of curiousity what my cycles are like when playing and such. It has the optical HR sensor, which I have to say has been great with anything I've been doing. I can see my shifts, my rates, my recovery, etc. I also found it was auto logging when I'd be cycling into work. Main thing was I didn't want to put on a chest strap or be inconvenienced by things like that. My GF has a Blaze which is the same but will act like a smartwatch as well.

Calgaryscot
06-06-2016, 05:58 PM
I posted this on my FB the other day;

How accurate is the Fitbit?? I put mines on about 9 hours ago, in that time, I have apparently done over 19,000 steps, covering almost 9 miles, burned 4000 calories and walked up over 100 sets of stairs. In reality, I have been riding a motorcycle almost all day, I wish I had done what my Fitbit says :-)

The_Penguin
06-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Calgaryscot
I posted this on my FB the other day;

How accurate is the Fitbit?? I put mines on about 9 hours ago, in that time, I have apparently done over 19,000 steps,

Put it on the other wrist before wanking. :)

My charge HR seems very accurate, although it's over counting stairs lately. I can see how it might over count steps on a motorcycle with vibration. I't too bad they don't have gps and discount any motion if over a certain speed.

ExtraSlow
06-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Vibrations can mess it up, which I think is true for all pedometers. Riding in a golf cart is worth a lot of "steps", probably almost as many as actually walking the course.

For other activities, I think it's sufficiently accurate.

ExtraSlow
06-08-2016, 07:12 AM
Who's got the highest single day step count? I hit 30,000 yesterday (31,200, and a buddy of mine has cracked 40,000 recently.

jdmXSI
06-08-2016, 07:58 AM
:nut: great job! the most I have hit was 16000 which included a 10k run...

Brent.ff
06-08-2016, 10:56 AM
37k was my highest..was last may.

did 27 last week. I'm usually getting 1-3 days a week of 20+k

killramos
07-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Not sure if this is a good thread for this or not but didn't want to start a new one:

So after reading some of the responses in this thread I decided to give the whole step-tracking fitness calorie tracker thing a whirl. Been using iPhone step tracker with the fitbit app and was pretty happy with it tbh and it seems to keep me honest to a weight loss goal I have been pursuing. Helps that my wife is a fitbit addict and even has their branded automatic scale which is a plus hence why i was using their app to track things.

Fast forward to a today later and I picked up a Garmin S20 Golf watch, which happens to pretty well double as a fitbit/activity tracker. Not what I bought it for, but hey its included so I might as well make use of the functionality.

Been doing some reading and it seems that MyFitnessPal is a good all in one system for integrating different tracking systems so i set up an account and linked up Garmin Connect with it and Fitbit. It lets me select where to pull fitness data from, either Garmin connect or Fitbit ( iPhone )

However it doesn't seem to have any way to pull activity data from both devices. Generally speaking I am not going to wear a golf watch 24/7 so using it as exclusive activity data is out, but ideally if i could have it add the tracking from my iPhone and the watch ( which i wont ever really be using both at the same time as I make a rule of leaving my phone in my bag/cart when golfing ) together to get a combined fitness picture.

The other factor here is I can't seem to find a way to get all the historical tracking data from fitbit into MyFitnessPal which is kindof a pain and a waste of the effort i put into the last system.

Anyone have any tips on integrating these things all together? Or is the integration really that half baked when crossing ecosystems.

Worst case I can just say fuck it to the auto syncing with garmin and myfitnesspal and fitbit and just go back to the fitbit app and manually add the activity when I am golfing which is what I have been doing until now. TIA

Masked Bandit
07-18-2016, 01:17 PM
So my wife picked up a FB Alta a couple of weeks ago and it seemed like she's hitting much higher step count totals than I am with what I perceive to be less activity (side note - never tell you wife you think she sits on her ass all day...it doesn't end well). I've got a FB Charge HR that isn't quite a year old. I've always assumed it's reasonably accurate but now I'm wondering.

Today I've started to chart three different sources to see how consistent they are. I've got my FB, the S Health app on my phone, and a phone based app called "Map My Walk". Now the MMY app doesn't count steps, just distance. The other two data sources track both steps and distance. From just a walk at lunch today, this is what I found:

FB - 4700 steps, 3.56 KM travelled.
S - Health - 2167 steps, 1.88 KM travelled
MMY - 4.03 KM travelled.

I can see how my FB and the MMY app differ as they use two different physical devices, but FFS, the S Health & MMY apps both use the phone (and I'm assuming GPS) to calculate distance. How are they that far off each other? Tonight I'm going to put the wife's FB Alta on my other arm, go for a good long walk and see what the results are.

TurboMedic
07-18-2016, 01:53 PM
did you set stride length and stuff for each of you?? If your stride length is entered into both at the default (which by the way is very long, like 73cm), then her shorter legs would make the whole thing register different.....

Masked Bandit
07-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
did you set stride length and stuff for each of you?? If your stride length is entered into both at the default (which by the way is very long, like 73cm), then her shorter legs would make the whole thing register different.....

I don't recall setting stride length on mine or hers, so I'm assuming default. She's about average height for a woman (5'6") and I'm average for a man (6'0"). I can't imaging it would make that much of a difference. We'll see tonight I guess.

C_Dave45
07-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Global Calgary just had a clip on this. They compared 3 different devices. Fitbit, and couple others, I forget. But all 3 had totally different totals when worn on the same wrist. (The guy had all three on at the same time.)
Then they had him wear them and undergo an accurate calories burned by some health thing (can't remember where). And all three devices were WAY high when it came to actual calories burned.

I tried finding the video on their webpage and couldn't find it. It was just the other night.

I did find this though:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2595497/how-inaccurate-is-your-fitness-tracker-in-counting-calories-scientists-weigh-in/

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 07:28 PM
I know my fitbit reads too high as to the calories I burn on a lot of day. But as long as I know that, it's not a big deal. I know how many calories I need to eat to lose weight, and I have been successful with that when I track it.

TurboMedic
07-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

I don't recall setting stride length on mine or hers, so I'm assuming default. She's about average height for a woman (5'6") and I'm average for a man (6'0"). I can't imaging it would make that much of a difference. We'll see tonight I guess.

It could, mine was 30% off from actual, I'm 5'11"

Masked Bandit
07-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Did another round of testing last night. I wore my FB Charge HR on one arm and the wife's FB Alta on the other arm. I had my phone in my pocket and activated the Map My Walk app when I left the house. The S Health app is on all the time. On ten separate occasions I checked the step totals on each of the FBs and counted out 100 steps. To my surprise both FBs were within 2 steps each and every time I did it. At the end of my walk the two FB devices were within 0.6% of each other, so I would call that a big success. The distance travelled were off by 11% though so I found where it had the stride length set and because my wife is shorter, her default stride length was shorter, hence the variance on KMs travelled.

The Map My Walk app showed the greatest distance travelled but that uses GPS on the phone so I have to believe that is the most accurate. The next thing I need to do is actually measure my stride length and input that on my FB profile. I suspect that should work quite well.

The S Health app on the other hand is total shit. I had a little over 15,000 steps yesterday and had my phone with me for about 90% of that and it only recorded 5000 steps.

Overall, now that I've tested the devices, I'm pretty happy with the FB. About the only thing I wish they would change is make it waterproof (resistant) so I could wear it swimming.

ExtraSlow
07-19-2016, 11:29 AM
The FB app can use your phones GPS to calibrate stride length for you. Under "exercise" there is a stopwatch to start recording an activity. inside that, there is an option to use the phones GPS, "record" your walk of at least ten minutes, and don't forget to stop it at the end, and it will let you know your stride length. Hardest part is remember to stop it at the end.