PDA

View Full Version : Fraud help! Happening now!

cycosis
05-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Some of you may know my store Kacz' Kids. Baby Gear.

Coles notes: some sketchy guys come in and buy some expensive gift cards. Credit cards were entered via security pin but now its showing up on my receipts as a manual entry?? How is this possible.

We have put a hold on the cards but low and behold one is listed on kijiji $1000 GC for $700. Stupid person has agreed to meet me in 35 minutes.

Calgary police have been notified but I dont think they will respond quickly enough.

How would you handle this?

EDIT: UPDATE

CPS came by and got statements. Officer is submitting kijiji ad to plain clothes team this evening but this is likely the end of any info for me. Just gotta be hyper vigilant. Supposedly quite the ring operating in Deerfoot Meadows with this type of approach.

Both my MOneris terminals were potentially compromised as the officer had a debit card check thing and was not showing the proper response so both terminals are being replaced tomorrow and put into metal lock cases.

On a side note, I love all the feedback. Seriously, if you ever have time to write up a review on google for us, its a huuuuge help.

roopi
05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
Ask him to meet later once you've talked to the police.

FixedGear
05-05-2015, 12:41 PM
there is no point in you meeting the guy, what are you going to do? cancel your meeting and have the police meet him, they'll arrest him like they did for the other guy on here that had his rims stolen.

Also, this thread should be temporarily hidden until the perps have been apprehended.

Gripenfelter
05-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Winnipeg style: Show up with more guys and throw him in the trunk of your car and drive him to the police station. Plant a knife on him.

P.S. I'm on hydromorphin so I'm not sure how sound this advice may be.

The_Rural_Juror
05-05-2015, 01:24 PM
I love your store and I think I could love hydromorphin. Annihilate the baby thieves.

nzwasp
05-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Side note, by saying we are beyond members do we get a discount at kacz kids?

BavarianBeast
05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Holy fuck are scams getting low...

Scam a family trying to save some money on baby clothes.. Fuck, that is so wrong on so many levels..

CompletelyNumb
05-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Tell him to meet at the store to verify its valid. Call cops and report robbery.

FraserB
05-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Just go meet him. You're not some small pushover haha.

cycosis
05-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Weve got him on a delay for this evening. CPS said they could take up to 5 hours to call us back. Its not just our transactions, this is obviously identity/credit theft too so hopefully something comes of it.

I do not want to put my staff or myself in harms way though.

cycosis
05-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
I love your store and I think I could love hydromorphin. Annihilate the baby thieves.

Hahah thx, reviews online (google) are always welcome on a side note :)

VWEvo
05-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Cycosis you own Kacz kids?? That is awesome, my wife and I bought everything from that store for our 3 kids. You need to have a Beyond member pricing :D

cycosis
05-05-2015, 03:01 PM
So just had another sketch ass couple come through the store, fill their arms up with random gear, then I appeared and they booked it out of the store. WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!

Do thiefs multiply????

bspot
05-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Can you help solve a debate between me and a friend, how do you pronounce Kacz?

Tik-Tok
05-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
So just had another sketch ass couple come through the store, fill their arms up with random gear, then I appeared and they booked it out of the store. WHAT THE FLYING FUCK!

Do thiefs multiply????

They were going to try and use the first guys gift cards :rofl:

eglove
05-05-2015, 03:09 PM

Do thiefs multiply????

probably saw this thread

spikerS
05-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Do thiefs multiply????

the drop in oil is causing some people to become desperate.

xnvy
05-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Jeez. Sorry to hear about your janky ass customers man. That sucks. :(

Bspot, how do you say it? I say kax.

cycosis
05-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Hhaha its not kax.

When we were on radio, everyone knew how to say it. Some people even call us crazy kids.

Its kaz, c is silent.

SilverGS
05-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Nice I didn't realize Kazc kids was owned by a beyonder. I prefer you guys over West Coast Kids. You still carried the Pali Crib when we needed a second one and most other people didn't have it anymore :)

Crappy about the scammers. My wife got scammed on a winner's GC. Checked at store that it was valid and he either switched it or something because right after she checked again after transaction and the guy left and it was empty O.o

guessboi
05-05-2015, 03:41 PM
My wife loves your store! Yes beyond pricing. :thumbsup:
Good luck tonight!

nismodrifter
05-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Gripenfelter
Winnipeg style: Show up with more guys and throw him in the trunk of your car and drive him to the police station. Plant a knife on him.

P.S. I'm on hydromorphin so I'm not sure how sound this advice may be.

OT:
Damn it. I was in Winnipeg this entire weekend and forgot to contact you. A chance to meet grip would have been great.............but meeting meeting grip ON DRUGS would have been just epic.

Next time...

Best of luck, keep us updated!

CLiVE
05-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Nice I didn't realize Kazc kids was owned by a beyonder. I prefer you guys over West Coast Kids. You still carried the Pali Crib when we needed a second one and most other people didn't have it anymore :)

Did not know this either.

We drove across the city to buy our stroller, etc. Pricing was similar as others, but the service and information we got there was so much better the first time we visited that we made the trip back. Great store. :clap:

Good luck with the scammers.

cycosis
05-05-2015, 04:37 PM
You guys are making me blush :D

Seriously, if you ever have time to write up a review on google for us, its a huge help.

CPS came by and got statements. Officer is submitting kijiji ad to plain clothes team this evening but this is likely the end of any info for me. Just gotta be hyper vigilant.

Both my MOneris terminals were potentially compromised as the officer had a debit card check thing and was not showing the proper response so both terminals are being replaced tomorrow and put into metal lock cases.

The_Rural_Juror
05-05-2015, 04:49 PM
I must have bumped into OP a few times in store. There's always a black merc out back whenever I go there. Much prefer Kacz's to Westcoast Kids. A few of the full-time WCK staff have attitude issues.

Now that you've exposed yourself, where are the Beyond discounts you cheap bastard? I'm heading down there this weekend to buy some stuff and maybe catch some robbers or something.

cycosis
05-05-2015, 04:51 PM
^ahah yea that my little Benz.

I'm in Sunday if you want personalized service

CompletelyNumb
05-05-2015, 05:32 PM
My wife wants kids next year. +1 beyond discount :bigpimp:

Good luck with CPS man.

btimbit
05-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Woah I didn't know that was a beyonder store either. Never been in but always thought about taking a look every time I drive by. I'll definitely pop in now

gwill
05-05-2015, 06:27 PM
If your moneris machines were compromised this should be very easy to figure out. This also means an inside job or you have staff that are completely oblivious and useless. By the sounds of things its not the second of the two ideas based on those who have visited your store.

I think you should have went to visit the person who purchased the gift cards. Scammers are typically scared to get caught and won't get too confrontational. The second you had the gift card in your hands you should have told him what was up. Personally I've taken fake credit cards from criminals, i've taken their id's and in some cases if the scammer is really pathetic i'll tell them they have 5 min to run before i called the police just so they freak out while running away. There's nothing funnier then seeing a junky lose their shit as they think cops are right around the corner to arrest them.

In the span of a couple months i ended up with 3 fake drivers licenses, 3 different credit cards and had to identify people from 2 different police line ups and let me tell you police Line ups aren't anything like on TV. The one time I took out my phone and snapped a photo of this one scammer and even asked him to smile for the police. I looked over his picture before i did the police line up and i couldn't pick the guy out of the 10 photos they showed me. Good scammers will wear wigs, dye their hair or wear good facial items... or the drugs can really effect their looks to the point they don't look the same.

Keep in mind the scammers all hang out in the same groups and will tell others of stores to avoid. So when you take their ids, or credit cards or take photos of them in person before they run away they will tell others to leave your store alone.

When you own your own business catching the scammers is a part of the game. Being dilligent is important and taking steps to prevent fraud is even more important. Did you have any identifying marks on all of your moneris equipment? Or do you think it got switched out at one point?

The_Rural_Juror
05-05-2015, 07:20 PM
More updates on the frauddening and less bad advice that could get you stabbed by a heroin addict please.

gwill
05-05-2015, 07:59 PM
^You watch way too many movies.

I have a better instinct then most for catching fraudsters... I find it fun. Maybe confronting them isn't for everyone but its always worked for me. I'm more willing to act on my instincts where others don't.

I am really curious to know how the fraud was done as the scenario described should alarm any business owner.

FixedGear
05-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
less bad advice that could get you stabbed by a heroin addict please.

+1

Originally posted by gwill
^You watch way too many movies.

I have a better instinct then most for catching fraudsters... I find it fun. Maybe confronting them isn't for everyone but its always worked for me. I'm more willing to act on my instincts where others don't.

I am really curious to know how the fraud was done as the scenario described should alarm any business owner.

sounds like you're the one that watches too many movies, either that or you're 12 years old :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
05-05-2015, 08:25 PM
My taxes pay the police to do the dirty work. Respect da Poh-leece.

black_2.5RS
05-06-2015, 02:39 AM
Cycosis. I work in fraud mgmt for a bank and know how this is done. I'm not going to post details on a public forum as the world doesn't need any more scammers. Tried to pm you but your mailbox is full. Pm if you're interested. Beyond discount for sure :clap:

bspot
05-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Hhaha its not kax.

When we were on radio, everyone knew how to say it. Some people even call us crazy kids.

Its kaz, c is silent.

I WIN!

Thanks :) Kids on the way, so I'll be seeing lots of you guys soon.

mr2mike
05-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Hhaha its not kax.

Its kaz, c is silent.

I pronounce it like Kaaz, just like the racing differential company.

nickyh
05-06-2015, 06:09 PM
^ahah yea that my little Benz.

I'm in Sunday if you want personalized service

I may stop by then, need some stuff for me and my 9 day old. Got my folks and bro to drop a whack there in Feb.
Who do I ask for and um, beyond discount?

D'z Nutz
05-06-2015, 06:19 PM
cycosis: glad to hear you got it all resolved.

Everyone else: unfortunately, unless cycosis is planning on buying a sponsorship, there will be no Beyond discount advertised.