PDA

View Full Version : I got rear ended...basic coverage, am I SOL?

tehwegz
05-07-2015, 12:26 AM
I only have basic coverage / no collision on my car, since its a JDM. I had it up for sale for two weeks prior to the crash. I had a buyer, and upon passing the insurance inspection he needed as well as getting a few things taken care of, was to meet him at 4:30 PM April 29, 2015 to sign over the pink slip and receive $6500.00 for the car. My bill for the auto shop was $980.00. LITERALLY two minutes after I paid and left the shop on my way to meet the buyer I got rear ended. I felt sick. There goes what I spent at the shop, and possibly half the value of my car in damage. Great, thank you.

I was determined 0% at fault. I have phone conversations, shop receipt, pictures, ad, times etc. in regards to my car. Buyer wanted to see it after crash, met up 45 minutes after agreed time. Well, now I can't sell and had just bought a new car 3 weeks ago and put its 7k down payment on my credit card for points. Selling the car would've been perfect timing to pay the bill. Now I'm out around 7k till whatever insurance does, or doesn't do.

I've waited to hear from insurance, but will start calling them tomorrow.

I've seen a doctor who determined I have some whiplash. I felt a little funny after the crash - probably because I had lost my god damn mind at what just happened. I think I had a panic attack. Since I haven't really felt too much out of the ordinary I've decided not to claim injury but my back/neck from time to time act up, just can't determine if because of crash. I was looking to my left at the time of, watching for an opening in traffic when I catch a half glimpse of a car speeding into me. I didn't even have time to fully brace, just BANG. At that moment I think I had an out of body experience, I couldn't come to terms with reality for that ~30 seconds. Pretty sure my reaction was just "WTF- *BANG* THIS CAN'T BE REAL LIFE. What the actual -fudge- just happened!?"

Any ideas? The more I wait the more I lose my mind. Need some weigh in on this.

beyond_ban
05-07-2015, 03:24 AM
If you are not at fault, the driver who is determined to be at fault will be forced to have their insurance cover your damages. Not having collision coverage only means that your car is not covered in an accident where you are at fault.

thinmyster
05-07-2015, 06:47 AM
I believe it also means you will need to deal with his/her company directly rather than going through yours and then your company going after theirs

austic
05-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster
I believe it also means you will need to deal with his/her company directly rather than going through yours and then your company going after theirs

This, in which case you are more likely to get low balled as they will think they can push you into settling. My ex had a similar situation and it was a painful experience. You will likely get close to what you were expecting but assume it will be a long drawn out process.

revelations
05-07-2015, 09:46 AM
With the receipt for work being literally hours from the accident, there is a good chance of SOME redemption. NO guarantees though :(

dirtsniffer
05-07-2015, 09:58 AM
i can almost promise you will get fully compensated for the work.

The last car I had that was written off they were willing to give me 50% of the value for any and all repairs from the last year.

redblack
05-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Be prepared to get the run around from the other persons insurance company

StreetRacerX
05-07-2015, 10:36 AM
My wife was rear ended at a light in the Jeep, with basic coverage the fellow at fault had to pay for the repair to my vehicle. Damage cost close to $3000 which was mostly a new rear bumper. My wife had to go to the chiropractor 21 times all of which are covered by the ramrods insurance. Also not sure if it's because ramrod uses All-State but they are also paying compensation to my wife.

They didn't give us any grief but we also had a witness

Waldi
05-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by tehwegz
I only have basic coverage / no collision on my car, since its a JDM. I had it up for sale for two weeks prior to the crash. I had a buyer, and upon passing the insurance inspection he needed as well as getting a few things taken care of, was to meet him at 4:30 PM April 29, 2015 to sign over the pink slip and receive $6500.00 for the car. My bill for the auto shop was $980.00. LITERALLY two minutes after I paid and left the shop on my way to meet the buyer I got rear ended. I felt sick. There goes what I spent at the shop, and possibly half the value of my car in damage. Great, thank you.

I was determined 0% at fault. I have phone conversations, shop receipt, pictures, ad, times etc. in regards to my car. Buyer wanted to see it after crash, met up 45 minutes after agreed time. Well, now I can't sell and had just bought a new car 3 weeks ago and put its 7k down payment on my credit card for points. Selling the car would've been perfect timing to pay the bill. Now I'm out around 7k till whatever insurance does, or doesn't do.

I've waited to hear from insurance, but will start calling them tomorrow.

I've seen a doctor who determined I have some whiplash. I felt a little funny after the crash - probably because I had lost my god damn mind at what just happened. I think I had a panic attack. Since I haven't really felt too much out of the ordinary I've decided not to claim injury but my back/neck from time to time act up, just can't determine if because of crash. I was looking to my left at the time of, watching for an opening in traffic when I catch a half glimpse of a car speeding into me. I didn't even have time to fully brace, just BANG. At that moment I think I had an out of body experience, I couldn't come to terms with reality for that ~30 seconds. Pretty sure my reaction was just "WTF- *BANG* THIS CAN'T BE REAL LIFE. What the actual -fudge- just happened!?"

Any ideas? The more I wait the more I lose my mind. Need some weigh in on this.

Rear ending is always pin on the driver /insurance of the car that rear ended so in this case, you should have all the cost of repairs covered by other car insurance company.

JVR1
05-07-2015, 11:36 AM
i think the OP is asking what he can do to recouperate the loss of value since it was almost sold at $7k but now has been in an accident. it's unlikely he would get $7k even after the repair.

i hate to say it, but i think you might be screwed. it would have been better as a write-off.

VWEvo
05-07-2015, 12:07 PM
If you are going to deal with the other drivers insurance directly. I would contact them asap and tell them you want to settle this immediately. If they give you the cost of the car (ie. basically take it off your hands) you will not pursue any further action both for the car and your injuries. You could likely get a lot more due to injury so the insurance company will likely take it. Let them know if they delay it any more than a week or two you will just have a lawyer deal with it.

quick_scar
05-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
If you are going to deal with the other drivers insurance directly. I would contact them asap and tell them you want to settle this immediately. If they give you the cost of the car (ie. basically take it off your hands) you will not pursue any further action both for the car and your injuries. You could likely get a lot more due to injury so the insurance company will likely take it. Let them know if they delay it any more than a week or two you will just have a lawyer deal with it.

I would advise against this. It is basically waiving your right to be compensated for injury.

You have 2 years to sue for the injuries and all cost associated with them. Don't let that go over a couple days or a couple dollars now.

VWEvo
05-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar

I would advise against this. It is basically waiving your right to be compensated for injury.

You have 2 years to sue for the injuries and all cost associated with them. Don't let that go over a couple days or a couple dollars now.

True, but the op also mentioned he wasn't planning on pursuing an injury claim and ideally needs quick resolution. If time and money weren't an issue, then I would advise him to immediately hire a lawyer and have them deal with it, but that would likely take months or possibly over a year or so.

clem24
05-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Yeah what the heck? You're not at fault, you're not responsible for anything; that's what third party liability is for.

Now about your post. Signing over your pink slip to the buyer? WTF? That's your insurance card and no you don't sign that over...

01RedDX
05-07-2015, 02:19 PM

ercchry
05-07-2015, 02:27 PM
a JDM worth $7k with $3k worth of damage will probably be written off. you will have to do all the leg work yourself. their insurance will send out an appraiser, you will negotiate the value of the car with them. once that is settled they will cut you a cheque and you will sign over the reg to them. car portion is now done.

injury is completely separate. whiplash fucking sucks. but if its a WAD2 or less there is a cap on what you can claim. you get a set amount of treatments too.

so on this front. if you are missing work right now, dont settle. just do your treatments. once you are back at work there isnt really much more that you can get covered for. so you will provide them with your t4 to prove what you make, they wont cover the first week you miss work for. this is standard. but anything after that they will cut you a cheque for. then for the soft tissue its capped at $4500 ($5500 now? maybe), so you'll get a cheque for that too. then its all done

ee2k
05-07-2015, 04:03 PM
The time I was rear ended, I only dealt with my own insurance company. They appraised the day after (total loss) and there was a bit of back and forth on value based on other similar make/model/year vehicles available for sale plus new improvements I had made.

Sure I had more than just basic insurance but irrespective of that, I never had to deal with the guy's insurance except at final settlement and to sign papers (even then I went in not expecting anything and lady cut me a cheque for $2000.) I did do the 6 months massage and physio thing as well, which was paid for by the guy's insurance but everything seemingly coordinated through mine (I have the practitioners my claim number, and I never heard from my insurance company after they paid out my car two days after accident.)

What I have found over the years (I have had 3 property claims in the last 10 years where I was not at fault) is that if you are going to be douchey or trying to micromanage a settlement, then the insurance company will be difficult to work with. The process is simple: you have coverage or you don't. If you do, they come at you with a number and you negotiate. Nobody's out to screw anybody out there, appraisals are based on type of car, age, condition, mileage etc. I had new tires and brakes installed, which I leveraged as part of my negotiation. I also asked for and reviewed the comparables they used (they provided me this info which was based on autotrader listings!) and was able to point out deficiencies on the comparables which made my vehicle worth more (rust, mileage, two door vs four door etc.) It was a painless process.

As with anything, if you have spent $$$ on a vehicle that's worth $, then don't expect $+$$$ to be proposed to you as a settlement. A supped up Neon is still a Neon.

Dumbass17
05-07-2015, 05:40 PM
wow. shit situation man. best of luck, keep us posted

tehwegz
06-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the input @all...

So I didn't pursue any injury - as far as I know or felt nothing was out of the ordinary. But I'm no expert with back issues. Been a month and a half now. Car is finally appraised but I had to contact the appraiser and give them my side of things including the VIN of the car, and that it wasn't a "Impreza 4dr LX auto".

Also, the adjuster they gave me whom I had to contact - I couldn't even contact. I did a google search and saw a list of their adjusters and the one I was given wasn't even on that list.

Lawyer I'm not sure is the way to go, but if it comes down to it I sure as hell will. So much stress/BS and having to put in more hours working just to make up for this because of such a stupid thing that shouldn't even of happened. I could've won the lottery with this stupid luck.

:banghead:

Masked Bandit
06-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Is this still dragging on? This should have been wrapped up in a couple of weeks. What has the adjuster told you with respect to time frame?

Sugarphreak
06-17-2015, 08:20 AM

G-ZUS
06-17-2015, 08:23 AM
^ When you have 1-way coverage, it's you against the other person insurance.

Masked Bandit
06-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ In cases like this, doesn't your insurance company work on your behalf to help settle disputes? Or are you left on your own to find a lawyer and try to settle it yourself?

With no collision coverage you're pretty much on your own. A broker can help a bit but most of the work is going to be between you and the adjuster for the other side. Still, on a rearender where liability is clear & obvious, this should have settled within a couple of weeks. The only things I can think of that would drag this out would be A) the other guy's adjuster can't get in touch with the other driver to get an official statement or B) OP is the type of guy that left a voicemail once, three weeks ago and is still waiting for a call back. I find that a polite call (usually voicemail) ever 48 hours gets things moving.

tehwegz
06-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Is this still dragging on? This should have been wrapped up in a couple of weeks. What has the adjuster told you with respect to time frame?

Yeah, I was done dealing with the adjuster (for injury portion) after a couple weeks. I was told an appraiser would come out, which they did 4-5 days later after the long weekend. I didn't know who to contact so I got back in touch with the injury claims adjuster, and they told me they needed VIN of the car and to talk to Jane Doe my new adjuster. I did that, but I couldn't get in contact with that person. I stopped giving a crap for a couple weeks because of life (work rotation so worked every day, gym, meals, sleeping, stress, taking care of a house for a month) and have had no time to manage this inconvenience caused by shmuck on his phone crashing into me. Then a few days ago appraiser contacted me directly and gave me the estimate.

Now they will repair the car. I don't give a full crap about that. Yeah, sure fix it, then what I'm left to eat crap trying to sell car again for most likely less? Not the way she goes for me, if I wanted a part time job I'd get one that pays, on top of my full time. Now I'll have to spend more time dealing with more flaky kijiji buyers, put insurance back on, renew reg since it expired april 30th. Kind of why I bought a new car in the first place after many beaters - to settle down and stop worrying about old cars. Now have people over at my place, and nowhere to put the thing. I park my new car on the damn lawn.

Just a whole array of first world problems.

Going to make bunch of phone calls when able during their business hours now that I've woken up and realized I need to steer the ship in regards to this matter. Duh, but never thought I'd be in this situation..seeing as I got my first ever new car with my first ever full coverage, and yet...

jwslam
06-18-2015, 09:17 AM
So much stress/BS and having to put in more hours working just to make up for this because of such a stupid thing that shouldn't even of happened. I could've won the lottery with this stupid luck.

No real input to the thread but I'm wondering how you know to use "could've" but then you were also able to use "even of" in the same sentence :banghead: :banghead:

Sorry for the shit luck buddy

G-ZUS
06-18-2015, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I was done dealing with the adjuster (for injury portion) after a couple weeks. I was told an appraiser would come out, which they did 4-5 days later after the long weekend. I didn't know who to contact so I got back in touch with the injury claims adjuster, and they told me they needed VIN of the car and to talk to Jane Doe my new adjuster. I did that, but I couldn't get in contact with that person. I stopped giving a crap for a couple weeks because of life (work rotation so worked every day, gym, meals, sleeping, stress, taking care of a house for a month) and have had no time to manage this inconvenience caused by shmuck on his phone crashing into me. Then a few days ago appraiser contacted me directly and gave me the estimate.

Now they will repair the car. I don't give a full crap about that. Yeah, sure fix it, then what I'm left to eat crap trying to sell car again for most likely less? Not the way she goes for me, if I wanted a part time job I'd get one that pays, on top of my full time. Now I'll have to spend more time dealing with more flaky kijiji buyers, put insurance back on, renew reg since it expired april 30th. Kind of why I bought a new car in the first place after many beaters - to settle down and stop worrying about old cars. Now have people over at my place, and nowhere to put the thing. I park my new car on the damn lawn.

Just a whole array of first world problems.

Going to make bunch of phone calls when able during their business hours now that I've woken up and realized I need to steer the ship in regards to this matter. Duh, but never thought I'd be in this situation..seeing as I got my first ever new car with my first ever full coverage, and yet...

How much was the damage? If it is a high number, you can tell them that you don't want to fix it and just take the cheque. Then dump the car.