PDA

View Full Version : Ex Machina

01RedDX
05-07-2015, 10:08 AM

malbadon
05-07-2015, 11:32 AM
It's Calgary showing (other than when it was shown at the underground film festival) kept getting pushed back, shoulda been out like 2 or 3 weeks ago originally.
It finally comes out tomorrow, and only at Chinook, Westhills and Eau Claire.
Looking forward to it.

Orbie
05-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Saw this down in Orlando last week. Didn't actually know what it was and just picked it as it was the only thing that sounded interesting at the time.

Not a bad movie, certainly brings up some interesting ethical questions around A.I. Nothing I would rave about, but it's good for what it is in terms of Sci Fi drama's.

ekguy
05-07-2015, 08:07 PM
yeah this is right down my alley. Scifi is one of my favorite genres. I have been looking forward to this one.

Anyone else catch this yet?

jonsey737
05-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Saw it in Phoenix, I really liked it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dertz
05-12-2015, 09:39 AM
I seen this last Friday night, I was tired and stoned so slept through some of it.
The soundtrack was sweet and so were the shots. Oscar's character is little annoying at times, as he is meant to be.
Everything looked really good for an indie sci fi flick.
Definitely look and sound great on home release.
I will be watching it again lol, as I do with most movies.
:D

JAYMEZ
05-12-2015, 05:53 PM
I saw it yesterday! Fucking loved this movie.. I gave it a 8/10

malbadon
05-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Saw it last night and thought it was really well done, definitely shoots way above the low crap scifi usually churns out. I mean its not going to shock you with its ending or anything, you pretty much know it, but the overall story, acting and effects were very good.
This years Moon? (awesome scifi flick no-one saw)

Xtrema
05-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by malbadon
This years Moon? (awesome scifi flick no-one saw)

If you compare it to moon, then it's engaging, not awesome.

BigMass
05-13-2015, 07:01 PM
haven't seen it, just read synopsis. Does this offer anything Blade Runner already hasn't?

heavyD
05-14-2015, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Yeah. I actually thought Moon was a little overrated. Good movie but nothing special.

shakalaka
05-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Just watched this on the flight to Dubai. Thought it was extremely slow at times but then again was super tired on the long flight. It was censored so that took away from it I am sure. Thought it was decent overall.

sl888
05-15-2015, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
haven't seen it, just read synopsis. Does this offer anything Blade Runner already hasn't?
I have never seen Blade Runner before (DON"T SHOOT!) so I can't really compare but Ex Machina is dialogue heavy whereas Blade Runner is more visual and action packed?

I'll watch Blade Runner this weekend. Which version?

01RedDX
05-15-2015, 01:40 PM

01RedDX
05-15-2015, 04:17 PM

ekguy
05-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

I enjoyed Moon, it's similarly engaging and thought-provoking. Sam Rockwell was great in it.

Speaking of Moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/?ref_=nv_sr_4), Sunshine (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/) is another under-appreciated sci-fi film by the same screenwriter as Ex Machina.

The end of sunshine almost ruins the movie for me...But all in all it's one of my top fav scifis

403Gemini
05-16-2015, 09:28 AM
I absolutely loved Sunshine ... but yeah after the whole 3rd act when they get back to their ship thing it took a bit of a downward spin (still good , but took an "AMAZING!" movie, to a "Great" movie

Robin Goodfellow
05-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Perfect review of Moon, in a nutshell.

Don't know I loved it, but couldn't walk away either.

BigMass
05-17-2015, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by sl888

I have never seen Blade Runner before (DON"T SHOOT!) so I can't really compare but Ex Machina is dialogue heavy whereas Blade Runner is more visual and action packed?

I'll watch Blade Runner this weekend. Which version?

get the latest Final Cut version since the missing scene they add is crucial to the story IMO

Also, Blade Runner is very mellow, if you're expecting action, this really isn't it. It's more mood, visuals and philosophy with a film noire feel to it.

Arguably my favorite movie of all time.

I'd recommend watching it at night while you're mellowing out and are able to be immersed in the world. Not with a bunch of friends during the day all hyper. To get the full effect IMO.

Team_Mclaren
05-18-2015, 02:14 AM
Saw it in Vancouver, thought it was pretty awesome. somewhat predictable but makes you think for sure.

GoChris
05-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Watched it last night, it was enjoyable and kept my interest enough.

adamc
05-19-2015, 03:45 PM
The blu-ray rip of this movie is out, if you're so inclined.

Watched this in theatre and again last night, a fun little foray into the very basics of AI. If you can forgive the plot holes and character flaws, you'll enjoy it.

Soundtrack is awesome, set design is killer, watch it on a big screen.

firebane
05-19-2015, 04:20 PM
I grabbed the rip as well as sunshine from the same director will be watching both soon.

Tik-Tok
05-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by firebane
I grabbed the rip as well as sunshine from the same director will be watching both soon.

I enjoyed Sunshine, but just keep repeating "suspension of disbelief" to yourself.

Feruk
05-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Something I didn't understand...

Why would she get on the helicopter?? When she runs out of power, she's screwed. Made no sense...

Beyond that, I enjoyed it.

Manhattan
05-22-2015, 11:47 AM
It's probably her only way out considering the estate is at least 2 hours to the nearest town by helicopter - remember how remote that location is at the begin of the film. And I think she'll manage to find a power source just about anywhere once she's free.

gwill
05-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Personally I thought the movie sucked... I downloaded it after hearing of a few awesome reviews. I actually knew nothing of the movie which works better for movies a lot of the times. This type of movie is even right up my alley with the types I like.

Probably a case of having higher hopes for the movies based off the feedback I heard from it...