PDA

View Full Version : Imminent Housing Crash

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Feruk
02-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Every bedroom has its own en suite and then put a bathroom on the main level as well as one in the basement.
:nut: That's crazy.

Sugarphreak
02-12-2016, 11:54 AM

you&me
02-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

It is crazy to me that homes above the 7 figure mark can be so devoid of following basic architectural principles.

There are some really good contemporary homes done in the inner city, but most of the McMansions look just awful. They just throw together a bunch of different incompatable styles and slather it in rock and copper trim and think that somehow makes it better.

TBH, there are very few "good" contemporary homes in the inner city too. Most are just as cookie-cutter as the suburban ones, it's just that they use a different cutter.

suntan
02-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Our weather puts a lot of constraints on design.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-12-2016, 12:09 PM

Every bedroom has its own en suite and then put a bathroom on the main level as well as one in the basement.

Yeah that's pretty common. I'm just doing the downstairs bath right now, which will give us 3bed/4bath.

Sugarphreak
02-12-2016, 12:13 PM

you&me
02-12-2016, 12:21 PM
The ones that are popping into my head are in the Rideau area

That is no excuse IMO. Calgary in general puts very little value on architectural design. People here are happy living in offensive looking cookie cutters. It is a real shame

Granted, there are a few great homes in the area, but even then, the vast majority of "contemporary" homes in the area are nothing more than CityCore-esque generic layouts... A few big windows and a flat roof do not make an architectural-gem.

And SP is right; there is nothing about Calgary's climate that should affect design to the degree it has... It just seems that people either don't care, or don't know any better which is really quite shocking when you consider the price levels.

nzwasp
02-12-2016, 12:27 PM
When the first inner city housing developments were built, were they built like they do today, with building companies building large swaths of similar houses? or did people get their own builder to build bungalows? It just seems like every house in the inner city is a bungalow that roughly looks the same.

However looking at realestate in BC their inner city houses look a bit different from house to house.

suntan
02-12-2016, 12:33 PM
The ones that are popping into my head are in the Rideau area

That is no excuse IMO. Calgary in general puts very little value on architectural design. People here are happy living in offensive looking cookie cutters. It is a real shame Due to energy efficiency demands, wrapping a house in foam is standard. It's so much easier to do this with boring straight lines and walls.

I suppose ballers should be using aerogel for this sort of thing.

Also apparently there's a whole bunch of constraints around roof pitches and shit these days.

There's even limits on how many windows you can have on side walls (fire hazard).

CoC also has limits on maximum house height, so it's impossible to do things like have two floors with 10 feet walls anymore.

Sugarphreak
02-12-2016, 12:48 PM

HiTempguy1
02-12-2016, 01:07 PM

That is no excuse IMO. Calgary in general puts very little value on architectural design. People here are happy living in offensive looking cookie cutters. It is a real shame

Replace Calgary with Alberta. I'm looking at building an acreage right now outside Edmonton. The "higher end" paved acreage subdivision I'm looking at buying a lot in is laughable.

And its not a cost thing. My family has experience building homes, it's just strictly shit design. Infuriating :banghead:

suntan
02-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Good architecture doesn't require 10 foot walls, or complex layouts with crazy roof angles, or inefficient design.

I think this is the problem with Calgary, because most people here think that is what good architectural design is, and it isn't.

In fact, exceptional architecture is a system of design that takes efficiency and weather into account. It can be simple, and inexpensive even. Well, also take into account taking wide lots and halving them, crazy Calgary setback rules and everybody wanting MOAR space, everything looks like:

https://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS635905262033430000/reb9/highres/1/c4047591_1.jpg

msommers
02-12-2016, 02:37 PM
I think my preferred housing style is probably viewed as boring by most, but I'd love to have something like this:

http://yacineaziz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Elegant-Beracah-Homes-mode-Dc-Metro-Craftsman-Exterior-Innovative-Designs-with-Arts-and-Crafts-beams-bungalow-columns-craftsman-detail-Craftsman-front-door-Craftsman-style-dormer.jpg

beyond_ban
02-12-2016, 02:58 PM
For those calling that last listing atrocious, i am curious what you consider to be the perfect design. Mind posting pics like msommers? Purely curiosity.

BavarianBeast
02-12-2016, 03:08 PM
I might buy this one. IMO - the exterior is near perfect design, although needs some modern touch-ups.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16565367/113-PATTON-CO-SW-Pump-Hill-Calgary-Alberta-T2V5G3-Pump-Hill

Feruk
02-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I think my preferred housing style is probably viewed as boring by most, but I'd love to have something like this:
I agree actually. I like that older South Carolina plantation look.

Neil4Speed
02-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
I might buy this one. IMO - the exterior is near perfect design, although needs some modern touch-ups.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16565367/113-PATTON-CO-SW-Pump-Hill-Calgary-Alberta-T2V5G3-Pump-Hill

Wow, yes, great neighborhood really seals it.

suntan
02-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
For those calling that last listing atrocious, i am curious what you consider to be the perfect design. Mind posting pics like msommers? Purely curiosity. It's okay, it's very neutral themed which I know some people don't like.

But see how every modern house has soffits that extend out a certain length (and are also covered - contrast with msommer's house)? Can't be helped unless you're willing to spray foam the attic for $50K and convince the inspector that you don't need attic airflow (let alone fire control).

Also due to R-50 being the min the roofs are pitched a certain angle so that there's enough clearance between the soffits and insulation. Again, code requirements strike again.

you&me
02-12-2016, 03:56 PM
For those calling that last listing atrocious, i am curious what you consider to be the perfect design. Mind posting pics like msommers? Purely curiosity.

There's a difference between preferring one architectural style over another, and acknowledging when some homes are devoid of architectural substance.

"McMansion" is an excellent term to describe these homes, and isn't exclusive to one style (though it seems the bulk of McMansions are similar)... Quantity over quality is the name of the game.

And under some circumstances, I get it.. 5,000sf, 1/3 acre, typical finishing McMansion in a Houston suburb for $475,000... Ok, I get it.

But when you're getting the same shitty spec whether in Aspen or a new infill and there's no consideration for any architectural detailing for 4-6x the price in Calgary, it's more than a little annoying... At the prices we have in the Calgary market, there is no excuse for the cookie-cutter-ness, other than the fact that maybe people just don't care.

beyond_ban
02-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Yes, i certainly see the contrast between the two homes. So basically, you are paying a premium dollar for a design in which the home builder still cuts as many corners as possible to maximize their profits. All the while covering these homes in imitation stone and wood veneer as well as other various products in order to bring the general, mass appeal to a point where they can seemingly charge whatever they want. So the only real option left to get the house that you want is to bull doze a lot and then build from scratch?

A790
02-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I think that house looks awesome. I'd love to have a place like that.

HiTempguy1
02-12-2016, 04:28 PM

As I've said, its a mix-mash of different styles that poorly contrast with each other. Additionally, for the "neutral" tone as buster described, the very dark wood (combined with how lots of it is shaped/designed) is gaudy. It's jarring and over the top for the rest of the design of the house.

There is simply TOO much going on. As with anything style-wise, it is subjective. What is beautiful is usually readily apparent, but might be difficult to point out WHY. What is ugly is readily apparent. Even that house's front roof peaks (the curved tops over the windows plus the peak) is stupid.

I don't know why buster keeps going on about all of this structural stuff. None of that is so tightly regulated as to warrant ugly houses, end of story.

Uhg, the more I look at that house the more it makes me want to :barf:

-angles/peaks mixed with curves
-neutral paint tones, combined with multiple variations in stone color
-wood is much too dark for the neutral paint
-all of the wood doesn't match in style
-who the f*&k has different colored wood for different cabinets? THE ISLAND IS A DIFFERENT COLOR FROM THE CABINETS FFS!
-and on top of that, the overall style of each is different :banghead:
-the island marble(?) is different than what I assume is the granite on the countertop :barf:
-that fireplace :rofl:

They mixed some sort of modern house with older colonial style housing and then tried to mix in a bit of rustic. It looks like some soccer mom just went "I want this, and this, and this..." and this piece of crap is what came out.

As for what is "good", you really need to narrow it down. Location of the property and style of community greatly affects what you would build. Are we talking $300k house? $500k house? $1m house?

The worst part is that custom built homes aren't that expensive. It's dealing with the shit customers that makes it not worth it for home builders. So the only people that custom build homes typically have "f*&k you" amounts of money, so they don't care if their styling is trash as long as they like it.

Sugarphreak
02-12-2016, 04:45 PM

Xtrema
02-12-2016, 05:16 PM
lol, housing crash to what baller homes to pick up derail.

Maxt
02-12-2016, 06:43 PM
I like this place.
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15814769/39-Horseshoe-Bend-Square-Butte-BN-Square-Butte-Rural-Foothills-MD-Alberta-T0L1K0-Square-Butte

Also this one, but I hate cleaning windows.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15417062/256003-COALMINE-RD-W-Rural-Foothills-MD-Alberta-T0L1W0

03ozwhip
02-12-2016, 07:08 PM
^if you can afford that, you can afford to pay people to wash your windows lol

ExtraSlow
02-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Maxt, you buy that one on horseshoe bend and I'll come and live with you. :love: :love: :poosie: :love: :love: :hitit:

msommers
02-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

I like this place.
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15814769/39-Horseshoe-Bend-Square-Butte-BN-Square-Butte-Rural-Foothills-MD-Alberta-T0L1K0-Square-Butte

Wow 2.4 acres and a pretty modern looking home, inside and out for <600K near Calgary.

First question: What's wrong with it? That seems like a steal.

Maxt
02-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Community maintenance fees is what's wrong.

msommers
02-12-2016, 07:31 PM
$870/month, Jesus Christ. I wonder what that all includes and if any services are included like sewage, drinking water and such.

Still seems excessive, wowzers.

beyond_ban
02-13-2016, 12:36 AM

I like this place.

Also this one, but I hate cleaning windows.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15417062/256003-COALMINE-RD-W-Rural-Foothills-MD-Alberta-T0L1W0

I am not sure why, but both links seem to be broken for me.

dirtsniffer
02-13-2016, 08:41 AM
If youre on you're phone realtor really sucks at opening links.

:hijack:

edit. nvm seems that they are gone.

Maxt
02-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Houses are still on there, not sure whats up with that site.
There are a ton of acreages for sale out there right now. Some of these were for sale back in 07-08 when I bought my current residence, and are discounted from then.
How much lower will it go is the big question, the second is do you use your own money or borrow since the rates are still so low.

89coupe
02-13-2016, 02:35 PM
I just sold my latest listing, only 6 days on market. Mid 700's

Also, one of my clients just bought a place, high 600's.

Things are still selling, and fast, if priced appropriately.

Some amazing deals to be had right now.

Interest rates are low, homes are priced to sell and if you have the financing you can really take advantage of this market.

Xtrema
02-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Interest rates are low, homes are priced to sell and if you have the financing you can really take advantage of this market.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wd952_wNws0/hqdefault.jpg

:rofl: Sorry.

Buster
02-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Houses are still on there, not sure whats up with that site.
There are a ton of acreages for sale out there right now. Some of these were for sale back in 07-08 when I bought my current residence, and are discounted from then.
How much lower will it go is the big question, the second is do you use your own money or borrow since the rates are still so low.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an offer.

Original house listing was high million (under $2mm), and the newest listing price is 25% off the original asking. I'm asking for another 18% off that.

People are capitulating in certain markets.

max_boost
02-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wd952_wNws0/hqdefault.jpg

:rofl: Sorry.

Nice. Instead of yoga he should do one at the Judo/Dojo lol :bigpimp:

Maxt
02-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Buster

I'm about to pull the trigger on an offer.

Original house listing was high million (under $2mm), and the newest listing price is 25% off the original asking. I'm asking for another 18% off that.

People are capitulating in certain markets.
I am going to look at a couple of properties on monday that are home staged(empty), maybe offer $600k on on 800k property? I guess the worst is they say no.

89coupe
02-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Nice. Instead of yoga he should do one at the Judo/Dojo lol :bigpimp:

5 deals in, just over a month. I'm feeling good.:bigpimp:

I even have the Dan Bilzarian beard going. Haha

Seriously though, things are moving. We all know the market has a black eye, but there is still a lot of money in this town and homes are still selling.

Maxt
02-15-2016, 11:42 AM
http://32671.realpagemaker.com/mls-C3506016-8_Denise_Road_Elkana_Estates_Rural_Rockyview_County_Alberta.html

http://www.rhinorealty.com/ff_viewlisting.aspx?id=10448&ar=ca&sh=all&st=no

ZenOps
02-15-2016, 01:00 PM
If those crazy bankers at JPMorgan are calling for a -4.5% EU bank rate, then it might be worth holding off to see if the banks start to unload their real estate assets at 0% mortgages.

Assuming that banks are in bed with government, and government always wants to mandate more inflation (as they can only justify taxing more every year based on increasing value, not decreasing) Then I can imagine there will be some 0% financing with cashback offers not only on cars, but houses as well.

Technically the banks don't *need* to make any percentage on mortgages if they can convince the government to print more debt instead.

Tin foil hats on.

Sugarphreak
02-15-2016, 02:48 PM

eglove
02-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Coming back to your request briefly

I saw this one the other day when I was walking by, I think it is a good example of a modern contemporary style used in Calgary.

https://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS635908914710500000/reb9/highres/3/c4045473_1.jpg

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16589910/850-RIDEAU-RD-SW-Rideau-Park-Calgary-Alberta-T2S0R6-Rideau-Park

Jesus, now that's a beautiful house. Only thing that worries me is it being on the river

kaput
02-15-2016, 05:36 PM

Xtrema
02-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by eglove

Jesus, now that's a beautiful house. Only thing that worries me is it being on the river

There are quite a few on Elbow that looks like that which are literally under water during the flood. Both Roxoboro and Rideau Rd.

Unless there is more done up and down stream preventing flood, I would stay away from these. It will be sold again but will probably to out of towners that never heard of the flood.

And flat roof = high maintenance. Just like Iggy's house in Mission, leaky roof all the time.

Maxt
02-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by kaput

The price difference is almost entirely realtor fees. They are just trying to break even.
And its still overpriced at that. I have been looking at acreages in the local MD's quite a bit over the last 3 or 4 days. About half the listings are priced for the current market, and half are in lala land with their pricing still. But I guess if they owe silly money on it, they will try to sell for a silly price.

holden
02-15-2016, 11:57 PM
http://calgaryrealestatereview.com/2016/02/15/february-1-14-2016-calgary-real-estate-market-update/

The Feb. 1-14 sales numbers are the lowest since 1995. 12% lower than last year (which was already a distressed year) and 30% below the 5-year average. Sales in the $500K-1M bracket are down 21% y/y (the price bracket most effected by the new CMHC mortgage rules that went into effect today).

RealJimmyJames
02-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Does this make us officially in a "crash" scenario? What numerical data would indicate that the OP got his prediction right?

Kind of like "it's always darkest before dawn", I always think that once everyone agrees we are in big trouble, things are ready for a good turnaround.

Feruk
02-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Sales are down, but median prices haven't dropped enough to be in a "crash" scenario yet IMO. I looked at detached houses and we are only down 7.4% from the peak in May 2014. Looks like February prices are even stronger than that.

sputnik
02-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

I agree actually. I like that older South Carolina plantation look.

That's actually a craftsman home.

Plantation homes look like this.

http://south-carolina-plantations.com/georgetown/i/hopsewee/hopsewee-plantation.jpg

suntan
02-16-2016, 12:25 PM

I saw this one the other day when I was walking by, I think it is a good example of a modern contemporary style used in Calgary.

https://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS635908914710500000/reb9/highres/3/c4045473_1.jpg

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16589910/850-RIDEAU-RD-SW-Rideau-Park-Calgary-Alberta-T2S0R6-Rideau-Park See, that thing's totally unbalanced. Huge front windows because there's little allowed on the sides due to fire code, they went with the flat roof to accommodate high ceilings for both floors, and boring grey portland cement walls.

max_boost
02-16-2016, 12:47 PM

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16589910/850-RIDEAU-RD-SW-Rideau-Park-Calgary-Alberta-T2S0R6-Rideau-Park One of the baller Beyonders has something similar to that. pretty cool. damn at 4.6 though lol not in this life time haha

JordanLotoski
02-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
One of the baller Beyonders has something similar to that. pretty cool. damn at 4.6 though lol not in this life time haha

Cool home for sure. 4.6M in any market is a tough price to move, Ideally you want to be between 2-3.5 for inner-city homes. Your average buyer looking in these sought after communities can stomach that.

Xtrema
02-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Does this make us officially in a &quot;crash&quot; scenario? What numerical data would indicate that the OP got his prediction right?

Kind of like &quot;it's always darkest before dawn&quot;, I always think that once everyone agrees we are in big trouble, things are ready for a good turnaround.

Prices has not crashed hard like 2009.

HiTempguy1
02-16-2016, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by suntan
there's little allowed on the sides due to fire code, they went with the flat roof to accommodate high ceilings for both floors, and boring grey portland cement walls.

I think you are looking for constraints in code/regulations where there are none. That house was not designed around code, it was designed to be that way. Why would you have windows on the side of your house when you'd be looking at the side of your neighbours house 6 feet away (as the photo depicts)?

That house could not have a peaked roof if it wanted to, its not designed for it, so a peaked roof is irrelevant to commentary on it.

For the cement walls, what color would you rather it be? Is this a subjective measure of whether or not the overall design is nice? Or is this a subjective measure of whether you like the property or not? The grey wall color contrasts decently with the light wood color. It's not a dark concrete either, so it's not completely drab.

As phreak said, for a modern contemporary style house, it's not a bad go at it. Would I have done things differently? Sure, but its not awful. :dunno:

Sugarphreak
02-16-2016, 02:15 PM

max_boost
02-16-2016, 02:16 PM

Prices has not crashed hard like 2009. There is no crash lol is it still happening? haha

you&me
02-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by suntan
See, that thing's totally unbalanced. Huge front windows because there's little allowed on the sides due to fire code, they went with the flat roof to accommodate high ceilings for both floors, and boring grey portland cement walls.

Actually, there's a massive window on the right (north) side of the home in the stairwell. Windows are limited on the left (south) side of the house due to the layout of the bathrooms and privacy with the pathway & bridge.

The price is barely reduced from when the house sold new back in 2012, with no consideration to the softening prices for river front homes since the flood, or more recent market conditions which is clear because the home has sat on the market for (over?) a year now. I don't think the owners are bothered though...

Funny enough, this was the exact home I was referring to in an earlier post I made about lack of architectural detail and a typical "CityCore-esque" boring box... There was so much more that could've been done with the layout, even within the exact building dimensions. Just another example of a spec house "almost there" contemporary that was neutered in for the sake of not offending any buyers.

cloud7
02-16-2016, 03:14 PM

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16589910/850-RIDEAU-RD-SW-Rideau-Park-Calgary-Alberta-T2S0R6-Rideau-Park

You would think that a $4.65M, 4000+ square feet, 5-bedroom home, the occupants would own more than just 2 vehicles that they would want to park indoor. I don't get it.

Sugarphreak
02-16-2016, 03:23 PM

roopi
02-16-2016, 03:37 PM

I wouldn't have guessed that was the one you were talking about... there is so much worse out there, haha

https://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS635903724917670000/reb9/highres/5/c4047445_1.jpg

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16545891/75-ASPEN-SUMMIT-VW-SW-Aspen-Woods-Calgary-Alberta-T3H0V9-Aspen-Woods

WTF! :thumbsdow

you&me
02-16-2016, 03:42 PM

I wouldn't have guessed that was the one you were talking about... there is so much worse out there, haha

https://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS635903724917670000/reb9/highres/5/c4047445_1.jpg

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16545891/75-ASPEN-SUMMIT-VW-SW-Aspen-Woods-Calgary-Alberta-T3H0V9-Aspen-Woods

There is definitely worse out there... Don't get me started on that abortion-style home in Aspen!

To be clear, I don't mind the Rideau house, but it really isn't anything unique and certainly nothing special when you consider the asking price.

I thought the earlier conversation was more about a lack of true architectural design, which is especially apparent at higher price points. It's annoying to have cookie cutters at the Aspen or basic infill price levels, but it's almost insulting to have cookie cutter design at 2, 3 or 4++ million, which is exactly what the Rideau house is.

Sugarphreak
02-16-2016, 03:50 PM

JamMan23
02-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Oh I fully agree, the asking price of the Rideau house is ridiculous... and you are right, for that price, we should be expecting quite a bit more.

There are a bunch of these &quot;contemporary cookie cutters&quot; in the Aspen Summit area.... I love that they toss them in between &quot;traditional&quot; style homes so the entire neighbourhood feels like an awful clash of Gucci, Guess, and Gap. :rofl:

http://i.imgur.com/uRnnkmD.jpg

you&me
02-16-2016, 04:27 PM
You should use spoiler tags before posting shit like that :barf:

JordanLotoski
02-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Oh I fully agree, the asking price of the Rideau house is ridiculous... and you are right, for that price, we should be expecting quite a bit more.

There are a bunch of these &quot;contemporary cookie cutters&quot; in the Aspen Summit area.... I love that they toss them in between &quot;traditional&quot; style homes so the entire neighbourhood feels like an awful clash of Gucci, Guess, and Gap. :rofl:

You guys would be surprised on the amount of homes build in the inner-city with only double car garage's. I think anyone who builds on a 50 foot lot should do it for resale more then anything.

The home in Rideau is slick, ive been though it a few times, tough sell is the style..its geared towards a single male bachelor. I have a very similar home to this, I had to pull back all the guy stuff and make it geared towards both men, woman and families.

This one in Bankview is one of my favorites now, as far as exterior styling goes.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/mrp-listings/8/5/6/54616658/b2ce3272f9dc12bf7c2e4c4df3cc7fe6.jpeg

nzwasp
02-16-2016, 04:32 PM
This housing market seems to only really affect Calgary, I went to Edmonton on the weekend and no one up there is seeing big declines in their house value (more than usual) or good buys as a few are looking to upgrade.

Also I know a fuck load more people in Calgary that are out of work versus our group of friends in Edmonton, you dont see in the news "Edmonton based company lays off 400 in one day"

Xtrema
02-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
This housing market seems to only really affect Calgary, I went to Edmonton on the weekend and no one up there is seeing big declines in their house value (more than usual) or good buys as a few are looking to upgrade.

Also I know a fuck load more people in Calgary that are out of work versus our group of friends in Edmonton, you dont see in the news &quot;Edmonton based company lays off 400 in one day&quot;

Because project get cancelled first, lay off for all the people involved in them. Then it'll work down the line eventually. 2015 was still good for Spartan Controls as they are finishing off 2014 orders. But they expect a disaster of a year for 2016.

Once that materializes, the manufacturing and services sector (which is mostly Edmonton) will contract. But Edmonton also has a lot more government workers. So that may have soften the blow.

you&me
02-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

You guys would be surprised on the amount of homes build in the inner-city with only double car garage's. I think anyone who builds on a 50 foot lot should do it for resale more then anything.

The home in Rideau is slick, ive been though it a few times, tough sell is the style..its geared towards a single male bachelor. I have a very similar home to this, I had to pull back all the guy stuff and make it geared towards both men, woman and families.

This one in Bankview is one of my favorites now, as far as exterior styling goes.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/mrp-listings/8/5/6/54616658/b2ce3272f9dc12bf7c2e4c4df3cc7fe6.jpeg

I have a friend that lives across the street and have been watching that one go up. Great looking house, from a developer that does actually seem to get "it".

I wouldn't call the Rideau house a bachelor pad, but there are some glaring oversights and omissions (that would have been easy enough to incorporate) that keep it from being remotely family friendly. Back to my point - just a "thoughtless design".

bspot
02-16-2016, 05:41 PM
These front drive garages are killing me. On a narrow lot up against the river, I realize you have little choice, but the street treatment of that Bankview house is horrendous, and the lot contour is an obvious afterthought to the design.

I won't even comment on the third trimester abortion in Aspen...

JordanLotoski
02-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by bspot
These front drive garages are killing me. On a narrow lot up against the river, I realize you have little choice, but the street treatment of that Bankview house is horrendous, and the lot contour is an obvious afterthought to the design.

I won't even comment on the third trimester abortion in Aspen...

wow, show me what your ideal exterior is?

RealJimmyJames
02-16-2016, 05:52 PM

wow, show me what your ideal exterior is?
whatever the front of his moms house looks like probably, since that's where he lives.

bspot
02-16-2016, 06:03 PM
If going for something comparable with a flat roof (not my favorite style to start with, as it's basically the inner city McMansion these days) I'd go with something like this:

http://www.stylemotivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/contemporary-exterior-2.jpg

Notice how the front of the building has many different faces instead of generally one big blank slab ?

And no cheesy rail-less glass patio on top of a blank concrete wall.

For dealing with a side slope, still nothing great for street engagement, but this at least has some effort on the street facing materials (don't love this house overall, and still lazy with handling the slop):

http://www.stylemotivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/contemporary-exterior-12.jpg

For modern houses on narrow lots, I really like the style with an angled roof done in metal siding where the metal siding comes down both sides and the front is a recessed wood face. The interior is typically an open stairwell and you have a full face of windows on the front and back that you can basically see through the whole house. The example I like best doesn't seem to be on street view yet, but here's one that gives a rough idea of the style:

https://goo.gl/maps/jsoVbFdT98E2

Sugarphreak
02-16-2016, 06:10 PM

Xtrema
02-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by JamMan23

http://i.imgur.com/uRnnkmD.jpg

Have to say, see those in Panorama Estate as well. Stick out not in a good way.

yellowGTS
02-16-2016, 07:19 PM

That is a gorgeous house. It really does appeal to those who like a modern aesthetic.

My personal preference is for Mid-Century Modern styles. They offer something timeless and classic at the same time. Hard to explain. This home has that type of vibe.

Thank you for sharing Jordan!!

bspot
02-16-2016, 08:05 PM
[B]^^ Not to burst your bubble, but your first image also has &quot;cheesy rail-less glass&quot; on the main level beside the entrance and in front of a grade patio area

Yes, but with the lack of home depot aluminum uprights, it actually looks classy.

They are interesting designs to look at, my own preference for good contemporary design is a more simple look. There is a bit too much going on in those for me.

Agreed. Don't love the style at all, unless very well done, and in a somewhat unique way. That is why the houses with metal siding on the sides that continues up over the roof (like the streetview link I posted) really appeal to me. Usually a simple front face, very understated overall, and really cool potential inside.

Anyone know the name of this style or more examples? I've seen them in town but can't find anything for online pictures.

bspot
02-16-2016, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames

whatever the front of his moms house looks like probably, since that's where he lives.

My mom's place is your typical uninspired front garage street killing house. It's pretty nice inside, and they've done well with their yard, but I prefer something a little...

https://i.imgur.com/svAM37l.jpg

macman64
02-16-2016, 08:51 PM

Have to say, see those in Panorama Estate as well. Stick out not in a good way.

I think the newer sections of Walden have improved. Back when they started in 2008 not enough people bought the modern designs.

Here is a newer area:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.8711746,-114.0369106,3a,75y,274.04h,80.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjXvtQ_KBlk4adhpaBuWP6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Xtrema
02-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by macman64

I think the newer sections of Walden have improved. Back when they started in 2008 not enough people bought the modern designs.

Here is a newer area:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.8711746,-114.0369106,3a,75y,274.04h,80.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjXvtQ_KBlk4adhpaBuWP6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Call me old fashion, these will look like shit in about 10 years.

Maxt
02-16-2016, 09:00 PM
Borg mother ships.

blitz
02-16-2016, 09:03 PM

Call me old fashion, these will look like shit in about 10 years.

They looks like shit now. I'm not nearly as picky as most people here, but slapping a pseudo modern front on a vinyl sided house just screams of trying too hard.

RealJimmyJames
02-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by macman64

Here is a newer area:

Holy shit, is that longcat's truck?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/8/89/Longcat_transparent_background.gif

masoncgy
02-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Ah suburban Calgary, where everything looks exactly the same.

buh_buh
02-16-2016, 10:43 PM

why would a double car garage add to the value of a house over a triple or quadruple? Just for more yard?

dubhead
02-16-2016, 11:13 PM

Because project get cancelled first, lay off for all the people involved in them. Then it'll work down the line eventually. 2015 was still good for Spartan Controls as they are finishing off 2014 orders. But they expect a disaster of a year for 2016.

Once that materializes, the manufacturing and services sector (which is mostly Edmonton) will contract. But Edmonton also has a lot more government workers. So that may have soften the blow.

They are also saying all of the construction in the Arena district is helping to keep people employed up here. With that being said prices are definitely starting to come down here as well. The real question is how long to burn cash on renting while waiting for it fall.

you&me
02-17-2016, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
why would a double car garage add to the value of a house over a triple or quadruple? Just for more yard?

I think Jordan meant that anyone with a 50+ foot lot should build a triple, if for no other reason that resale.

It is surprising how many new builds on 50+ foot lots that only have doubles. Considering the price level, it's pretty dumb. :nut:

JordanLotoski
02-17-2016, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by you&amp;me

I think Jordan meant that anyone with a 50+ foot lot should build a triple, if for no other reason that resale.

It is surprising how many new builds on 50+ foot lots that only have doubles. Considering the price level, it's pretty dumb. :nut:

Correct. I think every home over 2m should have a 3car + garage

I'll post a few pics of my exterior later today. I'd like to hear what you guys think.

sputnik
02-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Ah suburban Calgary, where everything looks exactly the same.

... except when it doesnt.

JordanLotoski
02-17-2016, 12:03 PM
This is my exterior, I went all black with a slightly mirrored glass as its reflects the trees in the summer and looks pretty cool. also you cannot see in during the day.

http://i.imgur.com/8cR1EJk.jpg

holden
02-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Noice! What neighborhood is that in?

sputnik
02-17-2016, 12:44 PM
http://animediet.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vlcsnap-00083.png

BerserkerCatSplat
02-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by blitz

They looks like shit now. I'm not nearly as picky as most people here, but slapping a pseudo modern front on a vinyl sided house just screams of trying too hard.

Agreed, those things look ridiculous, the exterior design looks like it was done by Picasso's retarded half-brother. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, though.

bspot
02-17-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm funny in that I don't care about privacy. Blinds are always open on the main floor as I like seeing out more than I can about anyone seeing in.

I know lots of people always have their blinds shut.

As an outsider, walking down a street, I much prefer this:

http://eosadi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/0133.jpg

https://urbanabq1.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/img_2602.jpg

In fact there are architectural controls in many places to limit the use of reflective glass at street level.

buh_buh
02-17-2016, 02:05 PM

Correct. I think every home over 2m should have a 3car + garage

I'll post a few pics of my exterior later today. I'd like to hear what you guys think.
makes sense. Is there value in 4 car vs 3 car?

riander5
02-17-2016, 02:17 PM

... except when it doesnt.

except they all do

Buster
02-17-2016, 02:30 PM

You can fit one extra car.

JudasJimmy
02-17-2016, 02:38 PM

you can fit 2 cars and 22x22 feet of junk

Chester
02-17-2016, 02:43 PM
This is my exterior, I went all black with a slightly mirrored glass as its reflects the trees in the summer and looks pretty cool. also you cannot see in during the day.

Very nice:thumbsup:

JamMan23
02-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by riander5

except they all do

I don't think that's true. If you drive around newer communities (I live in the south so I'm thinking Walden, Chaparral Valley, Mahogany), there is a variation there. Definitely a lot more than 90's communities like Douglasdale or Lake Chaparral.

I find the "Move-up" segment (400-600k 2 car garage homes) to be extremely boring, they are all almost identical. But if you look at townhomes/duplexes/laned homes in new communities I think they look pretty good, especially considering the price.