PDA

View Full Version : How can I transport bikes on my car?

Mar
05-07-2015, 12:14 PM
I'd like to take my bikes whenever I go camping but I'm not quite sure how I can do that with my car.

1. Can I get those roof rails installed somewhere so that I can attach a carrier to them?
2. Can I get a trailer hitch installed so that I can plug a carrier into that?
3. Is there another option for my car?

quick_scar
05-07-2015, 12:16 PM
All the above. Google is your friend

zipdoa
05-07-2015, 12:35 PM
http://goo.gl/fJ8KC6

Unknown303
05-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Post thread and answer your own questions in original post. Nice work :thumbsup: :banghead:

eglove
05-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Ride your bike to go camping

schocker
05-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Post thread and answer your own questions in original post. Nice work :thumbsup: :banghead:
Sounds familiar.... :rofl:

redblack
05-07-2015, 01:02 PM
He's probly decided on what to do and is going to do it anyways regardless of what everyone says.

birdman86
05-07-2015, 01:34 PM
I recommend these style...much cheaper, easily removed and still super secure. Just don't leave it on overnight, too easy to steal! Check kijiji, I bought my thule there for $50

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m5sD24lDtpkPl3Dt_enVpyg.jpg

Thaco
05-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by birdman86
I recommend these style...much cheaper, easily removed and still super secure. Just don't leave it on overnight, too easy to steal! Check kijiji, I bought my thule there for $50

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m5sD24lDtpkPl3Dt_enVpyg.jpg and as an added bonus they scratch the shit out of your new car :thumbsup:

01RedDX
05-07-2015, 02:10 PM

Tik-Tok
05-07-2015, 02:12 PM
^^^

Makes the most sense, therefore advice will be ignored, and he'll get a roof mount.

01RedDX
05-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Mitsu3000gt
05-07-2015, 02:21 PM
This style is by far the nicest to deal with that I have found:

Plop the bike in, push down on the ratchet, done & extremely secure. Also your bike doesn't eat bugs and rocks for hours upon hours.

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/productimages/0123015.jpg

You can't just put a hitch on any car easily though, sometimes they have to reroute the exhaust and such. No idea what it's like on the Velostar.

I would never put a trunk mount on a car I cared about, or a bike I cared about on the roof of any car haha.

01RedDX
05-07-2015, 02:26 PM

J.M.
use duct tape and tape your bike to the roof of you car, make sure you tape it really well or else bike might fall off

rage2
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
You can't just put a hitch on any car easily though, sometimes they have to reroute the exhaust and such. No idea what it's like on the Velostar.
You'd think that he would have researched that if that's a requirement before choosing a car to purchase.

Thaco
05-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

It's fine, even with the middle exhaust:

http://i.imgur.com/BHLDoUP.jpg

Which is why he will most likely not go this route.

best part about this method is he can install truck nuts.

bspot
05-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
This style is by far the nicest to deal with that I have found:

Plop the bike in, push down on the ratchet, done & extremely secure. Also your bike doesn't eat bugs and rocks for hours upon hours.

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/productimages/0123015.jpg

I would never put a trunk mount on a car I cared about, or a bike I cared about on the roof of any car haha.

I hate those. Anything that touches the frame can cause complications depending on the geometry, not to mention scratch the crap out of your mountain bike when you are bringing it home muddy.

I like these:

http://fat-bike.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/1-up-usa-rack-600x3601.jpg

www.1upusa.com

or these:

http://site.backcountryracks.com/thule/Hitch-Racks/thule-t2-hitch-bike-rack-916-917-2.JPG

Thule

Mitsu3000gt
05-07-2015, 05:08 PM
^^ We've had some pretty weird bikes on there, and it's always worked very easily (Y-frame DH, XC, etc.) It came with long and short clamps in case you needed different ones, but I don't think we ever used the second set. The one we had used foam pads on the hook clamps, and in all the years of using it we never ran into a bike we couldn't get on there, and there weren't any scratches from the clamp. I'm sure there are some unusual scenarios in which it doesn't work but we never ran into it. We had both 2 and 4-bike models, so the only thing we ever had to do sometimes was turn the handlebars 90 degrees on one bike when we had 4 DH bikes on it. We always cleaned our bikes before taking them home if they were muddy :dunno: It used a ratchet system too which I really liked.

Looks like the one you posted works really well too :thumbsup:

revelations
05-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I'd like to take my bikes whenever I go camping but I'm not quite sure how I can do that with my car.

3. Is there another option for my car?

http://quicklol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/diy-bike-rack.jpg

ExtraSlow
05-07-2015, 06:20 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/4955099622_89792c78c7_o.jpg

blairtruck
05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
if going the roof mount. remember to remove before letting your wife drive and then she try to enter the garage with the bikes on the roof.

Mar
05-07-2015, 06:41 PM
Even when I make a serious post it turns into hilarity.
I do have 2 ideas in mind after doing some research and unless someone posts a good reason not to get them, I'll probably go with one of them. I'll state up front that it must be a good reason but I am open to advice.

Option 1 is to get a small hitch installed, someone else also mentioned Racks Unlimited to me today, the idea of keeping the bike away from the car is very appealing but I don't like the idea of limiting access to the hatch. I guess that won't be a big deal though if I can easily remove the bikes once I get there. I also didn't think I'd be able to put a hitch on a car with a center exhaust but apparently you can. I wonder how low that will make the bottom of the car and how it will affect my ability to go over speed bumps.

Option 2 is the Seasucker mounts that attach with suction. Check them out here:
https://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/

How to apply:

l-3eiKZOcg8

Works pretty well:

fBK8pUPWu2A

Sugarphreak
05-07-2015, 07:27 PM

Tik-Tok
05-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Option 2 is the Seasucker mounts that attach with suction. Check them out here:

Anecdotally, I have a mirror in my shower for shaving. It attaches to the glass door with a suction cup. When I want to shave in the shower, that thing is seriously attached. It takes a great deal of effort to remove it afterwards. You know what works best though? Just leaving it up. Several hours later, it releases on it's own, just like every suction cup I've ever seen.

Food for thought.

swak
05-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Theres not a bicycle i've owned that couldn't fit in the back seat of my car :D

relyt92
05-07-2015, 08:12 PM
Get the hitch mount one, don't mess around with suction cups or roof racks.

lilmira
05-07-2015, 09:41 PM
bungee cords? ;)

FixedGear
05-07-2015, 10:18 PM
I've got one of the Yakima racks w/ snap off sky bar system, it's awesome because it's super versatile (various boxes, rails, etched can be added), takes literally 30 seconds to take on and off, requires minimal modification to the vehicle, and has super high resale value as they fit any car and are in high demand. I'd never consider a hitch mount unless I had a very large vehicle where I couldn't easily access the roof rack. I'm willing to bet that 90% of people recommending the hitch rack don't even have any rack for their vehicle.

01RedDX
05-07-2015, 10:35 PM

Seth1968
05-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Couldn't you get ticketed with those back mounts blocking the plate?

Seth1968
05-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/4955099622_89792c78c7_o.jpg

They should have just used the bike to tow the car:)

colsankey
05-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Bikes probably worth more, so the wear and tears not a great trade off:rofl:

Mar
05-08-2015, 11:00 AM
I just called Racks Unlimited.

Because my car has an entirely glass roof, it limits the roof rack weight to a 100 pound maximum. That's less than our 2 bikes combined, plus the rack.

The only hitch they can install on my car is a class 1 hitch and those don't mount to the frame, they mount directly to the trunk pan. This limits the downward tongue weight to 100 pounds which again is a problem.

I think the only option I have here is the Seasucker mounts and even those might be too heavy. Either that or I take the Lancer.

bjstare
05-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Classic Mar thread is classic.

Thaco
05-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Classic Mar thread is classic.

Lol, could have just made the call in the first place and avoided it all, but he loves the attention.

benyl
05-08-2015, 11:22 AM
I bet a civic with a rack or a hitch could carry more than 100 lbs. haha

revelations
05-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Even when I make a serious post it turns into hilarity.

Its because of your inability to perform simple logical thoughts and thus Google search operations.

For eg. you have a VELOSTER (common car), chances are **REALLY GOOD** that someone else on the internets has already asked this question.... and had it answered !!

Hmmmm...... what about a VELOSTER SPECIFIC FORUM? WHAT A CONCEPT!!!

http://www.veloster.org/forum/8-hyundai-veloster-general-discussion/2349-bike-rack.html

Thaco
05-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I bet a civic with a rack or a hitch could carry more than 100 lbs. haha

yep, 200lbs for a civic (and 2k pulling)

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1998_Honda_Civic.htm

Mar
05-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

Lol, could have just made the call in the first place and avoided it all, but he loves the attention.

Originally posted by revelations

Its because of your inability to perform simple logical thoughts and thus Google search operations.

For eg. you have a VELOSTER (common car), chances are **REALLY GOOD** that someone else on the internets has already asked this question.... and had it answered !!

Hmmmm...... what about a VELOSTER SPECIFIC FORUM? WHAT A CONCEPT!!!

http://www.veloster.org/forum/8-hyundai-veloster-general-discussion/2349-bike-rack.html

I can find everything I need to know in other places, nobody needs to post anything here. This is a discussion forum and I wanted to have the discussion here with other knowledgeable members. Plus it gives the added function of helping someone else either participating in this discussion or finding it afterwards through a search.

I could easily stop posting if that's what everyone wants.

I also posted it on a Veloster forum but that one got about 10 views all day.

Strider
05-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Mar
This limits the downward tongue weight to 100 pounds which again is a problem.

You can buy hanging type hitch mount racks as light as 10-20lbs, or platform types as light as 30lbs. Either should leave plenty of weight capacity for 2 bikes.

Or else buy lighter bikes :dunno:

Disoblige
05-08-2015, 01:59 PM
So this doesn't look fucking retarded at all :rolleyes:

http://www.veloster.org/forum/attachments/hyundai-veloster-general-discussion/68841d1413519699-bike-rack-veloster-sea-sucker.jpg
Seasucker Hornet Option

Redlyne_mr2
05-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Suction racks are junk.. ask me how I know?

5am , -20 on the side of the TransCanada picking up skis littered everywhere because the suctions failed. My idiot friend thought it was a great idea to buy that kind of rack. lol

Rocket1k78
05-08-2015, 02:29 PM

I couldn't agree more. I know people like attention but i dont understand why he likes the kind that gets him shit on all the time.

Khyron
05-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Get a class 1 hitch and a platform rack like the swagman posted earlier.

Every other option sucks.

Sugarphreak
05-08-2015, 03:52 PM

FixedGear
05-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

They don't actually just fit any vehicle without changing the clips most of the time and the clips are usually the most expensive part of the rack system IIRC. They are also noisy as hell and look more stupid than the hitch mount IMO. Most people have to order the fairing to cut noise and wind resistance, which is about the same price as a small 1/2" hitch anyway.

They are great for ski carriers and other gear but most people who only need to haul bikes ended up buying a hitch system. Also, it takes about 5 seconds to remove most hitch-mounted racks.

Source: I worked at Racks Unlimited way back in my college days.

I didn't mean the ones that clamp on, I meant the newer style that screw directly into the manufacturer holes on the top of the car.

I don't know if most people w/ bikes buy hitch mounts, but I do think top racks are more common which is why there is such a strong market for used racks.

Mar
05-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Looks like hitchweb.com has the Curt hitches for $220 and free shipping. They bolt right on to the back and are the preferred hitch of Veloster owners. I thought for sure 2 bikes would be more than 100 pounds but I guess not.

Sugarphreak
05-08-2015, 09:02 PM

G-ZUS
05-08-2015, 11:57 PM
:facepalm:

bjstare
05-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Looks like hitchweb.com has the Curt hitches for $220 and free shipping. They bolt right on to the back and are the preferred hitch of Veloster owners. I thought for sure 2 bikes would be more than 100 pounds but I guess not.
Not sure what kind of bikes you have, but you should weigh them to be sure.
2 DH bikes plus a rack is probably right around 100lb.

Before you do anything you'll regret, weigh your bikes.

FixedGear
05-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Each Rack has its advantages:

Rear Hitch Mounted Racks:
-They are easier to load and unload your bike
-They do not increase drag as much as roof racks (fuel economy)
-Not as much wind noise
-Your bike does not get directly exposed to road debris (rocks, etc)
-You don't run the risk of accidentally destroying your bike if you go into a parkade. By the same reason, your parking options are increased compared to roof mounted racks.
-If you like to travel and road trip, often ferries charge more for vehicles over 6 feet high.

Roof Mounted Racks:
-They don't block rear visibility
-If you get rear ended, at least your bike will be ok
-Yuppies love roof mounted things... very trendy

Thanks for pointing out the irrelevant, but iit doesn't change what I said.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2015, 10:06 AM

FixedGear
05-09-2015, 12:43 PM
how are roof racks "trendy" LOL. people have been using them as long as cars have been around. If anything, hitch bike racks are trendy as they've been around far shorter.

Sugarphreak
05-09-2015, 04:20 PM

FixedGear
05-09-2015, 04:32 PM
you need to look up the definition of "trendy", son.

roof racks are always going to be way more common than hitch racks because they're way more stable and way more versatile.

if you think that's "trendy" then so be it, you're one of the forum's top idiots anyhow. :rofl:

Sugarphreak
05-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Strider
05-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Mar

I got mine from CanadianHitches.ca... free shipping, and it showed up like 2 days after I ordered it.

BTW they have yours for a few bucks cheaper:

http://www.canadianhitches.ca/curt-trailer-hitch-11254/

It's actually quite a bit cheaper from U-Haul
http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trailer-Hitches-near-Calgary-AB-T2H1L6/840051/ (if you look at the install guide, it has Curt branding on it). $175 for just the hitch, $27.50 more to install.

Derail - Anyone have experience getting a hitch installed at U-Haul? they have the Curt hitch for my car quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else, and install for $71.50 + $55 to install wiring.
Biggest concern is them effing up the wiring on a BMW.

Sugarphreak
05-11-2015, 09:53 AM

Strider
05-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Nice Find!

I installed my hitch in about 10 minutes with a 19mm socket & ratchet. Ditto on my previous hitch too. They are a very straight forward installation. I don't think I'd pay to have somebody at Uhaul do it.

Mine is just a little more complicated - requires removing trim, bumper cover, cutting, and a rivet gun. Plus I'm lazy.

Although I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be nearly as meticulous about removing and replacing trim as I would.

bjstare
05-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Strider

http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trailer-Hitches-near-Calgary-AB-T2H1L6/840051/ (if you look at the install guide, it has Curt branding on it). $175 for just the hitch, $27.50 more to install.

Derail - Anyone have experience getting a hitch installed at U-Haul? they have the Curt hitch for my car quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else, and install for $71.50 + $55 to install wiring.

I wouldn't ever let Canadian Tire touch my car, and I feel U-Haul is probably worse. If I was you, I wouldn't let U-Haul near my new BMW even if they were paying me. :dunno:

+1 for DIY

Mar
05-11-2015, 10:05 AM

After my last experience at U-Haul I swore I'd never give them my money again. However they did give me a $100 coupon for my troubles, maybe I could get this hitch from them for $75. Thanks!

riander5
05-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
you need to look up the definition of "trendy", son.

roof racks are always going to be way more common than hitch racks because they're way more stable and way more versatile.

if you think that's "trendy" then so be it, you're one of the forum's top idiots anyhow. :rofl:

Why dont you go pick up a tuner magazine focused on euro cars and take a look at how many audi / porsche / vw's have roof racks.

Are they useful? No doubt. Are they still a vw group 'trend'? Definitely

Mar
05-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Mar

After my last experience at U-Haul I swore I'd never give them my money again. However they did give me a $100 coupon for my troubles, maybe I could get this hitch from them for $75. Thanks!

I was just reminded why I swore I'd never go there.

- I tried to enter my certificate code and it wouldn't work.
- I called customer service and asked them why, they gave me another number to call.
- I called the other number and they told me I had the wrong department and sent me back to customer service.
- I hung up and called the number back again and told them I wanted them to fix it, I didn't want to be transferred to customer service. She told me she couldn't do anything and I had to talk to customer service. I told her to call customer service and I'd wait on the line while she figured it out, she agreed. Then she transferred me to customer service.
- I waited on hold during the transfer and the line got disconnected.
- I called customer service back again, waited on hold for someone to be available, the phone started ringing like I was about to talk to someone, then the line got disconnected again.

Fuck that, I'll order it online from somewhere else.

Tik-Tok
05-11-2015, 11:05 AM

I don't know if most people w/ bikes buy hitch mounts, but I do think top racks are more common which is why there is such a strong market for used racks.

Or maybe there's a big market for used roof racks, because everyone who owns one is going to hitch mount? :dunno:

I don't see why anyone would want a roof mount VS hitch mount. So much easier, and little to no chance of damaging your car.

Khyron
05-11-2015, 11:06 AM

Mine is just a little more complicated - requires removing trim, bumper cover, cutting, and a rivet gun. Plus I'm lazy.

Although I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be nearly as meticulous about removing and replacing trim as I would.

Hitch Shop by Chinook has done good work. I DIY for the bolt ons, but let them do the more complicated or wiring.

FixedGear
05-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Or maybe there's a big market for used roof racks, because everyone who owns one is going to hitch mount? :dunno:

I don't see why anyone would want a roof mount VS hitch mount. So much easier, and little to no chance of damaging your car.

definitely not the case. The market is just way bigger because roof racks are way more versatile. You can't carry a kayak, snowboards, or a cargo box on a hitch mount. Also, hitch mounts are a major PITA for anyone that is really trying to carry gear, as you can't access the truck or hatch without removing the rack first.

Go to any rack shop or outdoor gear store and they will tell you the same thing.

tons of autos have some kind of roof rack as standard equipment - when is the last time you saw a hitch rack as standard equipment? :rofl:

Sugarphreak
05-11-2015, 01:14 PM

firebane
05-11-2015, 01:52 PM
how are roof racks "trendy" LOL. people have been using them as long as cars have been around. If anything, hitch bike racks are trendy as they've been around far shorter.

Roof racks become MORE popular when VW/Hondas did the whole "hella stance" and low ride look.

Very few used them before that.

FixedGear
05-11-2015, 02:50 PM
i don't think i've ever seen anyone carrying skis on a hitch rack. and i ski, too.

FixedGear
05-11-2015, 02:56 PM
<script type="text/javascript" src="//www.google.com/trends/embed.js?hl=en-US&q=roof+rack,+hitch+rack&cmpt=q&tz&tz&content=1&cid=TIMESERIES_GRAPH_0&export=5&w=500&h=330"></script>

Mar
05-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I was just reminded why I swore I'd never go there.

- I tried to enter my certificate code and it wouldn't work.
- I called customer service and asked them why, they gave me another number to call.
- I called the other number and they told me I had the wrong department and sent me back to customer service.
- I hung up and called the number back again and told them I wanted them to fix it, I didn't want to be transferred to customer service. She told me she couldn't do anything and I had to talk to customer service. I told her to call customer service and I'd wait on the line while she figured it out, she agreed. Then she transferred me to customer service.
- I waited on hold during the transfer and the line got disconnected.
- I called customer service back again, waited on hold for someone to be available, the phone started ringing like I was about to talk to someone, then the line got disconnected again.

Fuck that, I'll order it online from somewhere else.

Part 2....
I emailed their customer service earlier today and they called me back this evening (that was fast) and it went something like this:
her - Yes, if you have the certificate code ready, I'll read it to you and confirm it's the right one.
me - I have it
her - Okay, it's DF88****
me - No, it's D8FF
her - Okay, DF8FF-
me - No, it's 8FF........D8FF, then the ****
her - Oh, okay, D8F.......so it's DF8F......no wait, D8F?
me - No......it's D......8.......FF.......

After losing 5 minutes of my life on that we got it worked out and she said she would send me an email with a new certificate. Usually my email comes through instantly but she said it might take a while. I still haven't received it, that was 6 hours ago.

I already ordered the hitch receiver from canadianhitches.ca and I'll get the actual hitch rack from U-Haul.

So just to recap, I took YOUR advice and ordered from canadianhitches.ca. I will also take YOUR advice and get the hitch from U-Haul. I appreciate the people whom suggested those, that was a big help.

Sugarphreak
05-12-2015, 07:41 AM

blitz
05-12-2015, 07:58 AM
I personally wanted to see you go with the Seasucker Hornet as I think hilarity would have ensued.

msommers
05-12-2015, 09:39 AM

yep, 200lbs for a civic (and 2k pulling)

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1998_Honda_Civic.htm

I swear to God I've seen civics in the NE towing way more than that :rofl:

Mar
06-11-2015, 06:49 PM
So here's a recap of how this entire thing played out.
I ordered the Curt hitch receiver from canadianhitches.ca on May 11 and never heard anything for a couple of weeks. I called them to see what happened to my order and every time I called, nobody answered and their mailbox was full. I tried leaving a message on their website but nobody got back to me, it seemed like nobody cared about the customers there. Finally one day I call and someone actually answered the phone, a guy named Ryan. He told me it was an issue with FedEx because I listed my phone number on the order as 0000000000 and therefore they couldn't get a hold of me to deliver it. That makes no sense, why would they need a phone number to deliver a package? So I called FedEx and they told me that the delivery attempt was never made, they were requested by the shipper to return the package back to them. I called Canadian Hitches back again, got Ryan again and he was legitimately upset with all the trouble I was having so he said he would take care of it himself. A little while later he called me back and told me he would have a new one shipped out for me and it would be there the next business day. That was Friday, Monday it was delivered.

I have to say the company was off to a pretty poor start but after what Ryan did to help me out, I'd definitely give him another chance and the retail industry needs more employees like him working with customers.

Sugarphreak
06-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Mar
06-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Now that I've got the hitch receiver, I need to get the actual hitch rack. I have a $75 coupon for U-Haul so I thought I would buy it from them. Which of these would you suggest?

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Bike-Ski-Racks-Ramps/1/Two-Bike-Racks

I like the idea of buying Thule since they're a local company but they are more expensive than the others. I'm also wondering if there's an advantage between the strapped hanging style and the style where the wheels drop into the slots. I already know I should be looking for features such as:
a) folding rack for rear entry access
b) lockable rack so I can leave my bikes on over night

I was thinking about going with the SportRack 2 bike locking hitch rack unless someone points out a reason why not:
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Bike-Ski-Racks-Ramps/Two-Bike-Racks/SportRack-2-Bike-Locking-Platform-Hitch-Rack?id=15677

Disoblige
06-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I like the idea of buying Thule since they're a local company
?

lilmira
06-12-2015, 02:08 PM
like made on Earth?

quick_scar
06-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Headquarters: Malmö Municipality, Sweden

They are by no means local. :rofl:

Mar
06-12-2015, 02:31 PM
The guy at B&P Cycle told me they're here in Calgary......or is that Swagman and I got them mixed up? Last time I was down there I asked him all about the racks they had in stock and he was telling me one of them is local so naturally I just believed him. This is how I get into trouble.

Disoblige
06-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Swagman Racks

300-1880 Government St.
Penticton BC, Canada
V2A 7J1

I dunno man, in this day and age when Google is your friend and easily accessible, I'd hate to see what you were like in the 90s.

Mar
06-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Now that I've got the hitch receiver, I need to get the actual hitch rack. I have a $75 coupon for U-Haul so I thought I would buy it from them. Which of these would you suggest?

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Bike-Ski-Racks-Ramps/1/Two-Bike-Racks

I like the idea of buying Thule since they're a local company but they are more expensive than the others. I'm also wondering if there's an advantage between the strapped hanging style and the style where the wheels drop into the slots. I already know I should be looking for features such as:
a) folding rack for rear entry access
b) lockable rack so I can leave my bikes on over night

I was thinking about going with the SportRack 2 bike locking hitch rack unless someone points out a reason why not:
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Bike-Ski-Racks-Ramps/Two-Bike-Racks/SportRack-2-Bike-Locking-Platform-Hitch-Rack?id=15677

So someone lied to me, no big deal. Any advice on which rack I should get? Are the tire-supported racks better or worse than the frame hanging racks? I'm assuming they're better since it doesn't matter if I'm carrying a ladies bike as well.

Tik-Tok
06-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Tire supported is better. Bikes have pretty lightweight frames these days, and they can bend on a frame support.

viff3r
07-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Bump

So... what did you end up going with Mar?

I found this thread when I was researching roof rack systems for my '06 Civic coupe and figured I'd come back & update with my final setup. I recently got into cycling, and I park & ride to my office. Sliding the bike in & out of my trunk was stupid so I picked up some Yakima q towers & round bars off kijiji. Had to buy the clips new from Hitch Experts (A++ would recommend). I then found a bike rack whose minimum required bar spread matched the tiny spread of the bars on my coupe - the Yakima sprocket rocket.

Lessons learned:
- RackAttack's fit guide is a great starting point to see which rack systems will work on your vehicle. http://www.rackattack.com/fit/
- Yakima Q Towers are pretty universal, minus the q clips which are $50-60 per pair new, as these are the parts that adapt the towers to fit on your vehicle.
- Hunt on kijiji before buying any rack gear new - plenty of good deals to be had. Plus your bars are gonna get scratched/beat to shit anyway, might as well buy them already broken in
- Installation was done solo, having an extra set of hands would have been helpful, but it only took me a couple hours - most of which was dicking around to get the measurements correct, then ensuring the tower tension was even on both sides of the car.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8804/28328832500_daede2aae6_c.jpg

ExtraSlow
07-28-2016, 10:42 PM
No hitch no care.

Sugarphreak
07-28-2016, 11:04 PM

Mar
12-18-2017, 11:17 PM
I ended up getting the Swagman 2 bike rack from UHaul with my coupon and it has been amazing. Anytime I have an appointment downtown I just pop my bike onto my car in 5 minutes, park just outside downtown in a free area and then bike 5 minutes to my destination.
Right after I got the rack I brought both bikes out to Fernie for a camping weekend and right before I left I somehow managed to mangle the threads on the bolt that holds the hitch onto the car. I sheared off the bolt head and it took me all night to cut through it with a hack saw but I succeeded. I called Swagman to see what they could do for me and they were one of the best companies I've ever worked with. They looked up bike suppliers along the route and offered to overnight the thread receiver to one of them so I could pick it up along the way. They were in credible.

When I got back I brought the rack to a guy at work and asked if he could get the rest of the bolt out. The next day he brought it to me and his only question was, "How the hell did you do that?" He had to use a plasma torch to cut it out. Now it's all good again and I use it all the time.

J-hop
12-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Shearing bolts and stripping threads keeps me up at night man. It is literally the worst feeling in the world

speedog
12-19-2017, 07:38 AM
I ended up getting the Swagman 2 bike rack from UHaul with my coupon and it has been amazing. Anytime I have an appointment downtown I just pop my bike onto my car in 5 minutes, park just outside downtown in a free area and then bike 5 minutes to my destination.
Right after I got the rack I brought both bikes out to Fernie for a camping weekend and right before I left I somehow managed to mangle the threads on the bolt that holds the hitch onto the car. I sheared off the bolt head and it took me all night to cut through it with a hack saw but I succeeded. I called Swagman to see what they could do for me and they were one of the best companies I've ever worked with. They looked up bike suppliers along the route and offered to overnight the thread receiver to one of them so I could pick it up along the way. They were in credible.

When I got back I brought the rack to a guy at work and asked if he could get the rest of the bolt out. The next day he brought it to me and his only question was, "How the hell did you do that?" He had to use a plasma torch to cut it out. Now it's all good again and I use it all the time.

Are you actually removing the hitch from your car or the hitch receiver that's a part of the bike rack? Considering you contacted Swagman, I would have to assume you're talking about the hitch pin assembly which could've probably been replaced by any hitch pin assembly as they're all pretty much built to a standard.

g-m
12-19-2017, 05:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/hVADlpY.jpg

zieg
12-19-2017, 06:40 PM
This might work if you have a bike...

90_Shelby
12-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Are you actually removing the hitch from your car or the hitch receiver that's a part of the bike rack? Considering you contacted Swagman, I would have to assume you're talking about the hitch pin assembly which could've probably been replaced by any hitch pin assembly as they're all pretty much built to a standard.

The swagman rack has a bolt as the hitch pin so the rack and bikes don't rattle around as they would with a normal pin.

Interestingly, I also had issues with the threads on mine and I believe the threads galled while the bolt was on the way out. Threaded in fine, but after I was done with the rack and went to remove it, 1/2 of the way out the threads were NFG and would not thread out anymore. I was able to torque on the bolt enough to shear it off and remove the rack. Ordered a new insert free of charge from swagman and lathered the bolt with anti seize. No issues since.

Mar
12-19-2017, 11:40 PM
The swagman rack has a bolt as the hitch pin so the rack and bikes don't rattle around as they would with a normal pin.

Interestingly, I also had issues with the threads on mine and I believe the threads galled while the bolt was on the way out. Threaded in fine, but after I was done with the rack and went to remove it, 1/2 of the way out the threads were NFG and would not thread out anymore. I was able to torque on the bolt enough to shear it off and remove the rack. Ordered a new insert free of charge from swagman and lathered the bolt with anti seize. No issues since.

This is correct, they have a small aluminum block inside the rack that has a threaded hole through the center of it. The block goes inside the rack and the threaded bolt threads through that. I had to buy a new bolt and Swagman sent me a new aluminum block (bolt receiver) for free. After I had a guy cut it out with a torch. I haven't had any issues with it since, and I use it all the time.