PDA

View Full Version : Well, apparently the initialization of the singularity already happened...

HiTempguy1
05-07-2015, 09:01 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xx310zM3tLs

To get our minds off the devastation the NDP is going to bring down on our heads ;) , lets talk about something else for a while.

The whole concept of a singularity moment is fascinating, and from what I can tell, inevitable.

What I didn't realize is how close we actually are. The whole concept behind Singularity is it just happens. Somebody on the forum a while ago was talking about how their net worth was a million dollars, and there was no big party, no "you made it!" sign. It just was. And in my opinion, that is exactly how something like the Singularity will go down.

It isn't something I've thought much about recently, but this video is completely true. I'm always amazed in this day and age that we dont have robots manning all the cash registers, stocking shelves, and flipping burgers. As the TedTalk highlights, this won't be a change of who does what like prior revolutions. There literally won't be anything left to do. Further to that observation, if a machine learns on its own, eventually, I reckon it can learn human traits. If the "turing test" is to be believed, currently we are quite close to computers being indistinguishable from humans.

And at that point, it brings us to the singularity. The point at which machines are smarter than humans. Creation of intelligence that is not only better than ours, but that may develop to a level of consciousness beyond our reasoning, no different than ours to an ants.

Orrrrrrr, maybe I've just been hanging out with the one dope-smokin hippy of an MLA everyone is criticizing lately :p

themack89
05-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Didn't watch the Ted Talk (internet too slow right now...)

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=381798

Originally posted by themack89
Nobody understands why I am obsessed with Ray Kurzweil. God damn that guy is a genius.

You could dig endlessly on this stuff. Yeah it's happening, bit by bit every single day. Kurzweil is director of Engineering at Google. He has two of the world's leading minds on artificial intelligence working underneath him (forget their names, but one of them I think pioneered the first basic "learning" computer). Plus creative control of the worlds most powerful super computer (hint: you probably use it everyday). He owns several companies involved with nanotechnology for medical applications.

He calculated (in his own way) that Moore's law actually exhibits convexity on a logarithmic plot... In other words, the acceleration of the advancement of technology is accelerating.

You aren't smoking too much dope, just acknowledging the reality of technology lol.

01RedDX
05-07-2015, 10:08 PM

HiTempguy1
05-07-2015, 10:56 PM
I am definitely on the negative side of this; the rammifications of creating other sentient beings, combined with the damage an intelligence we can't control is too great imo.

And then in that ask Ray column they start talking about mind clones which is completely fucked. Its like the ol Star Trek question: is it the same person who comes out the other side of a Transporter?

Fundamentally, I argue no.