PDA

View Full Version : Steaks without breaking the bank

HomespunLobster
05-10-2015, 09:04 AM
So I just found out my house was volunteered for mothers day dinner. I'll need steaks for about 14 people, I usually shop safe way but wondering if there are any other places I can check out so I can go buy them and start marinating

bourge73
05-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Costco is my go to place for meat.

jdmakkord
05-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Master meats

speedog
05-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Master meats
Won't be of any help to OP as they're closed today.

Real Canadian Wholesale Club, buy slab of rib eyes, cut yourself.

CanmoreOrLess
05-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Costco on a Sunday, I'd rather jump in front of a bus. M and M meats? My regular local butcher is closed today.

What's on sale http://www.mmmeatshops.com/en/eflyer/index.asp?locale=en&hide=weekly2&postal_code=t2t2r8

Store locations http://www.mmmeatshops.com/en/storelocator/index.asp

dirtsniffer
05-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Get a AAA value pack from superstore?

blairtruck
05-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by bourge73
Costco is my go to place for meat.

+1 on Costco.

i have never entered an M and M meats. seems from the flyer its all frozen stuff to heat up like bachelor style.

InRich
05-10-2015, 12:09 PM
another + for costco

C_Dave45
05-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Safeway, Co Op, Sobey's, Save On...all seem to have good meat. You can get AAA cut to your liking, or grab the pre-packaged AA on the racks.
Costco has really good meat, just not sure it's worth the hassle of a trip for JUST steaks on a Sunday afternoon.

We stumbled upon a great sea food place in the Brick Plaza on McLeod, that also sells Rib Eye and Striploin in bulk. Rib Eye was going for $46/kg. But he cuts it for you whatever thickness you want. (Just spent $65 on steaks and another $100 on seafood for 4 people for tonight)

More important is what kind of steaks do you want for 14 people? There are those that love the fat of a Prime Rib/Rib eye...and there's those that gag at any hint of fat in their steaks. Tenderloin it is!

I'd get Striploins for the fat lovers. Tenderloins for the lean lovers. And Sirloin for those that put ketchup on steaks. No sense spending top dollar for people who are just "meh" about steaks.
I like to spend about $25-30 for a single steak for myself.

sputnik
05-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Mother's Day Pro-Tip #24

Don't buy steaks for Mother's Day. Grocery stores and butcher shops are WELL aware that most men have no idea how to cook anything more than a steak and the prices get jacked up to account for it.

I was at Superstore on Saturday and saw a 12oz rib-eye for $22! Seriously? That's nearly $30/lb! The week before I was buying AAA ribeyes for $12/lb.

turbotrip
05-11-2015, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
And Sirloin for those that put ketchup on steaks.

Lol wtf

sputnik
05-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

Lol wtf

Basically if you are putting BBQ sauce on steaks, marinating them or doing anything more than simple salt, pepper and flame. You really should save your money and buy a cheap sirloin.

The only acceptable addition to a steak for me would be some form of butter on top after the steak has thoroughly rested.

CompletelyNumb
05-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Ketchup, steak sauce, steak spice... ugh :nut: My cousin needs her steaks cooked so well done that they can barely be cooked. Sirloin is too good for her. lol

I'm a salt and pepper man myself. I've done the butter basted Ruth Chris style but my favourite is still without it.

+1 for costco

codetrap
05-11-2015, 12:24 PM

syscal
05-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Going for drama queen of the year? I was at Costco yesterday and it was just fine. Crossiron FTW.

STFU! It won't be FTW if you tell people about it!

Everyone, go to South Costco...the lines are fine! :devil:

roopi
05-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Safeway, Co Op, Sobey's, Save On...all seem to have good meat. You can get AAA cut to your liking, or grab the pre-packaged AA on the racks.

I started with Sobeys since it was the closest then Save-On and then finally Safeway. From my personal experience the Tenderloins have to be ranked 1. Safeway, 2. Save-On, 3. Sobey's (this is before they joined Safeway). Never tried Co-op.

If anyone has had the Safeway Tenderloin and they know of a better one please let me know so I can give it a try.

C_Dave45
05-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I was at Superstore on Saturday and saw a 12oz rib-eye for $22! Seriously? That's nearly $30/lb! The week before I was buying AAA ribeyes for $12/lb.

No way!! NUH uhhh...don't believe it. Never seen it that low.
AAA Rib eye regularly sells for $44-49/kg.

Last night's dinner: ribeye, strip and tenderloin. Sword fish. Bay Scallops. Crab legs and clams...mmmmm

ronaldo
05-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Costco is great but I find of all the other grocery store's Co-op has the best meat

sexualbanana
05-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Don't buy steaks for Mother's Day. Grocery stores and butcher shops are WELL aware that most men have no idea how to cook anything more than a steak and the prices get jacked up to account for it.

Beef prices are also up from the year before. Apparently supply is pretty low.

codetrap
05-11-2015, 04:37 PM

codetrap
05-11-2015, 09:53 PM

BrknFngrs
05-11-2015, 10:35 PM
I've definitely noticed this as well; beef seems quite a bit higher this year.

CanmoreOrLess
05-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Going for drama queen of the year? I was at Costco yesterday and it was just fine. Crossiron FTW.

Glad you care. Costco is a cesspool of pain, you caught it when all the sister wives were elsewhere. Crossiron, WTF? Like I'd leave the SW for the Hinterland. Might as well shop in Costco Med Hat. Less aggro.

Besides, I only eat organic beef. Costco have it? Cheap meat is only asking for health issues and environmental issues.

legendboy
05-11-2015, 11:05 PM
The last many years I always bought a full boneless rib from costo and cut it up myself.

Last 2 years I have bought a full top sirloin and butchered it myself. Lots of good youtube video how too's.

I love my fatty beef but I really like the actual taste of sirloin meat.
Lots of steaks out of a sirloin. Probably 30+ at least they way I cut them.

As long as you cut them correctly they are nice and tender.
I have been doing salt and pepper the juice of a grilled lemon.

My cholesterol has been high so steak cut is the first thing I changed because we eat a lot

Side note:
I bbq a ton of Korean style beef short ribs (once a week) , I find getting the butcher at coop to cut what I want the best I have been able to find so far. T&T has nice short ribs but they are spendy

GQBalla
05-12-2015, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Glad you care. Costco is a cesspool of pain, you caught it when all the sister wives were elsewhere. Crossiron, WTF? Like I'd leave the SW for the Hinterland. Might as well shop in Costco Med Hat. Less aggro.

Besides, I only eat organic beef. Costco have it? Cheap meat is only asking for health issues and environmental issues.

Costco has Organic Ground Beef

BigDL
05-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by legendboy

Side note:
I bbq a ton of Korean style beef short ribs (once a week) , I find getting the butcher at coop to cut what I want the best I have been able to find so far. T&T has nice short ribs but they are spendy

Try E Mart, 3702 17 Avenue Southwest. Small Korean market with some nice meat.

sexualbanana
05-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I've definitely noticed this as well; beef seems quite a bit higher this year.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/shoppers-should-brace-for-higher-food-prices-driven-by-beef-and-pork/article24015158/

legendboy
05-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BigDL

Try E Mart, 3702 17 Avenue Southwest. Small Korean market with some nice meat.

I love Emart, but I mostly go for noodles and sauces.
Will check out the meat next time I go, bit of a drive for me tho

codetrap
05-12-2015, 01:36 PM

sputnik
05-18-2015, 12:57 PM

Hormone-free antibiotic-free grass-finished AAA angus beef.

Rib-eye @ $33/kg

https://www.facebook.com/dalmeats

https://www.facebook.com/dalmeats/photos/a.488241324656445.1073741835.262511980562715/488241381323106/?type=1&theater

C_Dave45
05-18-2015, 02:38 PM
That's in fuckin Manitoba!!!
Where you can buy a house for $125k as well. Lol.

Unknown303
05-18-2015, 08:52 PM
I married into a cattle ranch. I have no idea what beef prices are. I just get a few hundred pounds of it every year as needed.. :bigpimp:

sputnik
05-19-2015, 08:18 AM

I didn't realize that your Alberta beef was raised in downtown Calgary condos.

My sister-in-law has 50+ head of Angus cattle a couple hours west of Edmonton and her half section was cheap enough for a couple of 20-somethings to afford.

rage2
05-19-2015, 09:00 AM
You obviously haven't paid attention to the housing market there. Winnipeg is getting pretty crazy.

You can buy a house for $125k in small town Alberta as well.

flipstah
05-19-2015, 10:27 AM
I only eat inorganic meat myself. I find the melamine and plastics are good for my colon. Nice bright shiny poo...
ooOOOOooh. you meant Organic (TM) aka "Politically Correct Happy Cows" :P

I thought I was the only one.

I hate how they use 'organic' as a label category for foods. As if food to begin with was inorganic. :banghead:

C_Dave45
05-19-2015, 12:10 PM

I didn't realize that your Alberta beef was raised in downtown Calgary condos.

My sister-in-law has 50+ head of Angus cattle a couple hours west of Edmonton and her half section was cheap enough for a couple of 20-somethings to afford.

Originally posted by rage2

You obviously haven't paid attention to the housing market there. Winnipeg is getting pretty crazy.

You can buy a house for $125k in small town Alberta as well.

:facepalm:

Good God...let's get even further off track...I know someone in Bangladesh who bought a house for.....
The point WAS....that I've never seen rib eye IN CALGARY for a regular price of under $40-some bucks/kg, and then you go and show me the price of it in butt-fuck Manitoba. Of course beef can be purchased cheaper out there...

GHAD. ..sometimes it's just painful trying to have a sane discussion on this forum.
:nut:

flipstah
05-19-2015, 12:12 PM
I find that if I put a TINY bit of rock salt on steak, you get a nice, crunchy crust. :drool:

suntan
05-20-2015, 03:41 PM

Last night's dinner: ribeye, strip and tenderloin. Sword fish. Bay Scallops. Crab legs and clams...mmmmm The fuck ruining good food with that fake Chinese shit. Or is that leftover from removing grout or something ;)

C_Dave45
05-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by suntan
The fuck ruining good food with that fake Chinese shit. Or is that leftover from removing grout or something ;)
What fake chinese shit?

suntan
05-20-2015, 05:16 PM

What fake chinese shit? The bottle of "teriyaki" sauce.

C_Dave45
05-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by suntan
The bottle of "teriyaki" sauce.

Oh lol...yeah the boy and his g/f like that stuff.

chathamf
05-20-2015, 06:53 PM
I find Safeways meats to be the worst of the grocery stores I go to. Could just be the location though (Dalhousie). I find Co-Op has really good meat, but I usually go with Costco. I buy the full striploin and cut it into steaks myself. I think last one I got around 16 steaks and paid like 90 bucks for it. BBQ steak every weekend :). Salt and pepper or a little steak spice and throw it on the grill till medium rare. Delish.

suntan
05-20-2015, 09:31 PM

Oh lol...yeah the boy and his g/f like that stuff. You obviously need a girlfriend with better taste. ;)

g-m
05-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
I find Safeways meats to be the worst of the grocery stores I go to. Could just be the location though (Dalhousie). I find Co-Op has really good meat, but I usually go with Costco. I buy the full striploin and cut it into steaks myself. I think last one I got around 16 steaks and paid like 90 bucks for it. BBQ steak every weekend :). Salt and pepper or a little steak spice and throw it on the grill till medium rare. Delish. agree on the coop and costco. Costco is definitely good but there's a coop 1km from my house and the costco 30mins...

I like montreal steak spice as well, I think it edges basic salt and pepper.

deee_wreck
06-02-2015, 12:04 PM
all this talk about steak got me hungry.

making it yourself is the most economical.

grab an entire tenderloin from costco and trim it yourself if your up for it.

XwUxmb5X0BQ
AmC9SmCBUj4