PDA

View Full Version : Good laptop, just need more processing power.

ZMan2k2
05-10-2015, 12:51 PM
So, we have a decent laptop. It's an Asus that we've had for years. But lately, I've been running programs that just eat up the processing power of the 3-core AMD processor. It's an old AMD Vision Ultimate processor. Now I know, if you update the processor, update the RAM too, so that's a no-brainer. My question is, can I get just any AMD processor, and it'll fit the CPU mounting on the motherboard, or am I SOL, and to upgrade, need to spend like $1200 for a laptop with a blu-ray drive?

firebane
05-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Upgrading CPUs can bring forth other problems such as cooling issues. I did this once and the cooling was not able to keep up with the new processor.

ZMan2k2
05-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Hmmmm.......I hadn't thought of that. Guess I'll have to do some more research.

firebane
05-10-2015, 02:36 PM
If the processors are fairly close in terms of TDP then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

ZMan2k2
05-10-2015, 04:40 PM
What is TDP? I was considering going from 3 to 4 cores on the processor, with a step up in speed. Right now, I'm around 1.6GHz, and I was thinking 2.5GHz, with a jump in RAM, from 4 to 8.

FixedGear
05-10-2015, 06:06 PM
IMO after spending the time and money on this, it would be way better to just spend a few hundred more and get a new one.

revelations
05-10-2015, 10:44 PM
In general Laptops are not really meant to have CPU swaps. Too many of the internal components are integrated into the system as a whole and you may run into random issues down the road.

However - if your model HAS been done up by someone on the Internets already, then by all means go for it.

Personally, I would O/C the existing unit a bit and add an external cooler perhaps, like a stand with a fan underneath.

Boat
05-10-2015, 10:51 PM
It's a lot of work, time and to upgrade an AMD chip would not be worth your effort. I would suggest Getting an i3 processor for a better laptop

ZMan2k2
05-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Okay, well, it's a package purchased laptop, not built by someone. So adding a processor would probably come with issues down the road. It's been a good laptop, and never had any problems with it, it's just slow now, and I wanted to see if I could speed it up some. Looks though, from the posts above, that it's not worth the effort to do so.

I need something with a blu-ray drive, and it looks like the only option around right now with one is $1200, but you can get external drives, which might not make the wife too happy, as the laptop is in the living room.

I might just have to bite the bullet on this one and run this laptop til it dies, then upgrade.

Thanks all for your information and ideas.

Seth1968
05-11-2015, 09:19 AM
What is your CPU usage at idle?

ZMan2k2
05-11-2015, 02:55 PM
About 6%.

HiTempguy1
05-11-2015, 03:06 PM
How have you came to the conclusion you require more processing power?

Most people need more RAM, and more GPU, not cpu. In this day and age, people have more processing power than they can shake a stick at. If you have an old 3 core AMD processor though, you probably are running dick-all for RAM. That's an issue as program bloat is crazy in the past two years.

Seth1968
05-11-2015, 03:27 PM
6% is fine.

How much ram usage at idle, and as mentioned, how much ram do you have?

BTW- I ask about the cpu and ram usage at idle to see if there is a program running in the background that's using a lot of resources.

ZMan2k2
05-11-2015, 03:54 PM
I have 4 gigs of RAM. But it's not the RAM. At full bore on the conversion program I'm running, I'm at 100% CPU usage and about 50% RAM usage. What I'm doing is ripping Blu-rays and converting them to MP4's, so that I can put them on a HDD and watch them with the Media Player on the XBoxOne. I'm trying to get my Blu-rays out of my living room, and into storage. It's the conversion program "Handbrake", that is using all the CPU. I thought with an extra core, it would go faster, and I could convert more stuff. But, if an extra core or more RAM isn't going to help me, then I'll just stick it out.

rx7boi
05-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Ripping / converting videos is a matter of GPU and CPU power.

Your machine is not powerful enough to do it any faster.

ZMan2k2
05-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Then I guess I'll just stick it out.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

FixedGear
05-11-2015, 04:21 PM
gah, you own the Blurays, just download that shit. :rofl:

Xtrema
05-11-2015, 04:44 PM
90% of the time, upgrade to laptops is buying another one.

CPU upgrade is a myth regardless of desktop or laptop, especially for systems that are more than 2 years old. You will end up paying more for less.

It's only rips, you have time and electricity is cheap. Just run it 24x7.

ZMan2k2
05-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
gah, you own the Blurays, just download that shit. :rofl:
Nah, I don't feel like wearing an eyepatch. :D

Originally posted by Xtrema
90% of the time, upgrade to laptops is buying another one.

CPU upgrade is a myth regardless of desktop or laptop, especially for systems that are more than 2 years old. You will end up paying more for less.

It's only rips, you have time and electricity is cheap. Just run it 24x7.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I'll just make sure there's plenty of ventilation.