PDA

View Full Version : Landmark Cinemas "Extreme" and Cineplex "AVX"...

C_Dave45
05-10-2015, 04:08 PM
We had pretty much stopped going to movies the past year or so. Couldn't stand the line ups, trying to find good seats, and of course dropping $100 for a movie, when I could enjoy it almost the same at home.

Last night changed all that. Decided to do a family thing and go see the Avengers movie. It happened to be in theatre 10 at the Shawnessy Landmark, their "EXTREME" theatre. Holy crap!! Reserved seating, and we picked what I believe to be the best seats in the house. High backed, leather reclining seats. No one in front of us, except for two railings that were perfect height for footrests. Feet up, totally stretched out reclining. Didn't have to sit for 45 minutes in order to get decent seats. Casually got our goodies and walked in with 1 minute to showtime and sat down in the most comfortable seats ever.

I won't do it any other way now.

http://i57.tinypic.com/35m1nvl.png

88CRX
05-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Agreed. I only go to newer movies when its reserved seating. So much easier.

CompletelyNumb
05-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the future Dave :thumbsup: ;)

Reserved seating is the only way to go. Hilariously 4/5 times I go I have to kick someone out of my seats (I show up 5 mins after the previews start. I'm a dick.)

AE92_TreunoSC
05-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Biggest problem for me is if there is a large group of teens I don't want to sit near, I have no choice. I always wait for a movie to become less popular so I can watch it in peace haha.

BigDL
05-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Have they replaced or upgraded the seats at the country hills landmark?? That theater could be so much better if the seats weren't so worn out.

firebane
05-10-2015, 06:02 PM
The issue with reserved seats is you have no idea who you can end up near and the last time I reserved seats I eneded beside 7 kids.

Kijho
05-10-2015, 06:25 PM
The AVX theaters at Crossiron is super awesome. Watched F7 there and it was worth every penny, was seriously contemplating seeing it a second time just because of how impressed I was with the theatre.

Few months back I kinda stopped going too because I ended up in a movie and it seemed like they ONLY had the front facing speakers turned on. When I turned my head to face the person beside me, it threw me all off balance because I could only hear the sound from one ear LOL. Got really annoyed... that was the Country Hills Landmark (which used to be studio16).

I think I'll only do the AVX reserved now..

KrisYYC
05-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Are there any theaters here where you can order food from your seat like at some theaters in the US?

P_D
05-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by KrisYYC
Are there any theaters here where you can order food from your seat like at some theaters in the US?

Its a little bit of a drive but you can drive up to the VIP Cineplex in Edmonton. While you are there be sure to check out the new downtown arena which is having a second VIP theater build beside it.

Xtrema
05-11-2015, 09:38 AM
No line up for good seat for $3, I'll take that.

But I think I'm getting old thought, it does get loud in AVX.

firebane
05-11-2015, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
No line up for good seat for $3, I'll take that.

But I think I'm getting old thought, it does get loud in AVX.

I watched F7 at Westhills AVX and yes it was almost too loud at times.

Xtrema
05-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by firebane

I watched F7 at Westhills AVX and yes it was almost too loud at times.

Either kids these days are deaf or someone mixed up with loud audio = good audio.

HiTempguy1
05-11-2015, 10:25 AM
What theaters are you guys going to that are so ridiculously packed? I can't remember the last time I've been to a theatre that was crowded, and people seem to be WAY better nowadays then they were a decade ago about STFU during the movie.

I haven't had a bad experience in about 2 years, and I go to the theater at least once a month :dunno:

Also, for those complaining about pricing, Costco, Servus, and AMA have 2 tickets, two pops, and a large popcorn for ~$25.99.

You can even order the costco ones online, just keep in mind the service may not be instant. Its also cheapest online for $24.99 each.

max_boost
05-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Reserved seating is best. I was intro'd to it in China 5 years ago and was excited when it started showing up here. :thumbsup:

jwslam
05-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
What theaters are you guys going to that are so ridiculously packed? I can't remember the last time I've been to a theatre that was crowded, and people seem to be WAY better nowadays then they were a decade ago about STFU during the movie.
Yea but you only see about 10 cell phone backlights on at any given time

KRyn
05-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Agreed. I only go to newer movies when its reserved seating. So much easier.

I agree 100%.

Disoblige
05-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Yea but you only see about 10 cell phone backlights on at any given time
Doubt this is true at all. You might have a few here and there, but definitely not 10, and definitely not "at any given time".

HiTempguy1
05-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Doubt this is true at all. You might have a few here and there, but definitely not 10, and definitely not "at any given time".

As I was saying, etiquette nowadays is about 1 bazillion times better.

Some of you guys must be picky f*&ks :rofl:

schocker
05-11-2015, 03:18 PM
I only do ultra avx now. Did imax at landmark country hills for avengers and it was also pretty decent but was a lot different than chinook imax. I don't feel like waiting for seats if it is a new movie. If it is a bit older then it is typically digital only anyways with the smaller screen non recliney seats.

What we are really missing is this:
http://i.imgur.com/MVK5pdt.jpg
Landmark though concession is half the size as it was when it was cineplex so the line was gigantic and the bottled pop in the machines was $5 :rofl:

gwill
05-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by P_D

Its a little bit of a drive but you can drive up to the VIP Cineplex in Edmonton. While you are there be sure to check out the new downtown arena which is having a second VIP theater build beside it.

The one in Edmonton is pretty sweet. 2 people can fit in one seat. You can order all types of beer, wine or booze and request menu style food if you want.

Dertz
05-21-2015, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Welcome to the future Dave :thumbsup: ;)

Reserved seating is the only way to go. Hilariously 4/5 times I go I have to kick someone out of my seats (I show up 5 mins after the previews start. I'm a dick.)

How are you a dick lol. You got reserved for that reason alone.:D

Dertz
05-21-2015, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by firebane
The issue with reserved seats is you have no idea who you can end up near and the last time I reserved seats I eneded beside 7 kids.

Catch a late show or really early, screw the kids lol.
I can understand that, but only some movies do I care to have full attention on, most I sleep through or laugh at how bad they are.

I did find myself laugh out loud at a couple scenes in ex-machine lol

gogreen
05-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

For me it's more that the standard theatre seat is a bit cramped in terms of legroom, not so much that the theatre is packed with people. I saw F7 at the CrossIron AVX and the seating was a vast improvement.

I like the reserved seats aspect because it avoids that indecisive moment of standing around trying to spot the ideal seat from the aisle, lol.

TYMSMNY
05-22-2015, 09:47 AM
They also have VIP as well (experienced it in Vancouver). Alcohol and food. Lazy Boys that recline and a tray table for your food/drinks.

Dertz
05-22-2015, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
They also have VIP as well (experienced it in Vancouver). Alcohol and food. Lazy Boys that recline and a tray table for your food/drinks.

Damn. Maybe we need a private theater here in Calgary

Black Gts
05-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Isn't a VIP theatre going in at Seton? I thought it was scheduled to open this fall, haven't followed it though.

lasimmon
05-22-2015, 11:00 AM
I don't really get it. I have been to these theaters before and yes they are enjoyable. But I feel like its the "at home experience" for a ton of money. Why don't I just watch at home?