PDA

View Full Version : Mining companies required to be accurate.

ZenOps
05-11-2015, 09:19 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mining-companies-to-face-more-transparency-1.3065519

Noone tells the truth about how much they mine. No one. Some lie to the high side and will even buy physical market ore and dump it on their properties to inflate prices, and others lie to the low side probably to avoid excessive taxation.

Regardless next year fines for not fully disclosing exact to the gram details on mining. By my estimation, all mid and larger businesses will simply see the fine as "cost of doing business" and payoff the government to keep their privacy.

Its one of the dirty little secrets of the oldtime miners that they will say - dig up a ton of nickel rock from 10,000 feet under the ground from a working mine, and drop in it another locale that many would assume to only have been dug from 100 feet deep. Dishonest or a "strategic metal reserve"? akin to the US "Strategic oil reserve".

Creating an illusion of wealth and abundance (like every US dollar coin being made of 90% gold before 1933) does have its advantages.

CanmoreOrLess
05-11-2015, 11:01 AM
My tinfoil hat tells me otherwise.

Darell_n
05-11-2015, 02:47 PM
You must have a post-1993 tinfoil hat that is lower purity aluminum and less effective. Higher rates of recycling in recent years has degraded their ability to ward off NSA satellite mind sweeps.

ZenOps
05-11-2015, 03:05 PM
"CBC News contacted all the mining companies that were active in Ontario last year, asking if they would openly disclose mining taxes and royalties, in the spirit of the upcoming transparency legislation. Not one company agreed to offer those details."

I thought that was particularily funny. Why should the government know what is dug up and where? So that they can make a law to stop mining, save some bighorn sheep running through it, and then take the mine later on when it is forced into bankruptcy?

Yes, yes... Rob Anders wants your precious tinfoil hat (and your lead filled tooth)

CanmoreOrLess
05-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
You must have a post-1993 tinfoil hat that is lower purity aluminum and less effective. Higher rates of recycling in recent years has degraded their ability to ward off NSA satellite mind sweeps.

While I agree with your truthy assessment of the TFH situation in Alberta (Saskatchewan differs) post 1993, my TFH was passed down through the family from as far back as 1842. From the age of six we are educated in the fine art of TFH production, a family secret maintained until this day. As I've adopted a paleo diet and lifestyle, the TFH is no longer used on my sweet Weber BBQ in the labour of wrapping a PEI spud. Sadly, I've no male offspring to continue this TFH legacy and as such will be selling the secret on eBay in June of this year. Accepted payment can be made in meat, bones and Oreo cookies as they have a nice lard content.

ZenOps
05-12-2015, 05:31 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/diamond-royalties-a-closely-guarded-secret-in-ontario-1.3062006

Whoa, I'm impressed. They actually must be paying those CSIS hackers enough to dig up a little bit of relevant infomation.

I like how they put a picture of a grain of salt next to a nickel... Err I mean, a diamond against a 2% nickel plated iron coin.

$226 in royalties :P I bet if we developed a diamond mine in Nunavut we might get a whole $350 a year. Chaching!

rage2
05-12-2015, 08:38 AM
$226 lol.