PDA

View Full Version : Best tattoo places?

ToXicXxX
05-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Looking to get another tattoo done... My first was from Heroes and villains and it's decent, but not exactly perfect...

Not looking to do anything super complex, just a Valknut on my left wrist, but clean linework is a must.

Any suggestions?

Fly Fishin'
05-14-2015, 06:18 AM
How much do you want to spend? My buddy Dustin Pool does killer work but you will pay for it!

ToXicXxX
05-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
How much do you want to spend? My buddy Dustin Pool does killer work but you will pay for it!

Well, it's a small piece, so I can't imagine too much. But I don't mind spending on good work.

I need my other wrists linework touched up too.

ekguy
05-15-2015, 06:00 AM
This has been rehashed in more than one thread. Asking the best tattoo place is like asking which is the best vietnamese place....

It's PERMANENT...It's EXPENSIVE...

If you're not willing to do the legwork and go to individual shops and look at portfolios then you don't deserve a tattoo.

I hate...HATE this question. Tattoos are a huge choice to make and people think just because someone on a forum tells em what a good shop is they'll get a great tattoo...

You can get a shit tattoo at a good shop if you get an artist to do a style they aren't well verses in.

Go to shops, look at portfolios and take the time to make this decision right.

ekguy
05-15-2015, 06:07 AM
I've been tattooed in three provinces by a dozen shops and i've yet to ask this to anyone.

There's plenty of popular shops in Calgary and area that have good artists. Go see the portfolios, you get a feel for the style they like, if it fits what you want, you book a consultation, meet with them, get the outline of the area you want done, etc, etc.

Tattoos shouldn't be a rash decision and oh who's the best shop?!?! blah blah blah.

My last one the process has taken over a year, from picking the artist, having a proper consult, having her design it properly and I'm finally going in in a month to have it done.

You can't rush this and you certainly can't base your decision on which shop and arm chair internet warriors are going to suggest.

Be mature about getting it done or don't get it done. We don't need more goofs with shit tattoos because they couldn't listen to reason and rushed through this process.

GQBalla
05-15-2015, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
This has been rehashed in more than one thread. Asking the best tattoo place is like asking which is the best vietnamese place....

It's PERMANENT...It's EXPENSIVE...

If you're not willing to do the legwork and go to individual shops and look at portfolios then you don't deserve a tattoo.

I hate...HATE this question. Tattoos are a huge choice to make and people think just because someone on a forum tells em what a good shop is they'll get a great tattoo...

You can get a shit tattoo at a good shop if you get an artist to do a style they aren't well verses in.

Go to shops, look at portfolios and take the time to make this decision right.

That's a little harsh, a lot of people ask for opinions on many restaurants. What's the problem with asking for a tattoo shop? But at least your second post gave some good information.

OP, look for the tattoo thread and start there

Don't rush into things.

ekguy
05-15-2015, 06:59 AM
You have to be harsh with something like this. It's permanent. I made a couple bad calls and have a few not so great tattoos.

If I can be a dick and save someone from bad ink then so be it.

I did my due diligence on the last few and one artist uses the piece she did on my neck as one of the pieces she puts her art out there with.

That piece will be evolving into a half sleeve this fall and I believe this will be a very upper echelon tattoo.

Take the time, do your research and you'll end up with more than just a tattoo, you'll end up with a very real work of art.

tirebob
05-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Or... You can be like me, where many of my favourite tattoos were simply of the "pick it and stick it" variety where I sat down and looked through flash and said "do it"...

No right or wrong answer here. For some it has to have deep meaning and for others it is fun art collection. I have some of both...

Asking who does good line work is a bit vague though... All tattoos are line work. ekguy Is right in that you just need to go and look at portfolios and find someone you jive with their style and go. Even small tattoos are not cheap from quality artists because you are paying for more than just the time laying down ink...

VWEvo
05-15-2015, 09:07 AM
ekguy,

I see where you are coming from, but hearing about experiences from others is only part of the research process. Ultimately you are right, a person needs to go the shops and look through the portfolios. I only learned about Enso Tattoo (by tirebob) on here, and went to his shop to look at the portfolio. After visiting a couple other shops I ended up doing both my arms at Enso. Had it not been for threads like this, I likely wouldn't have run across Enso. So personally, I don't think there is nothing wrong with getting pointed in the right direction. Btw, I definitely vote for Enso, super professional, incredible quality work.

03ozwhip
05-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I've been to a lot of different places trying to find the right artist for the right pieces and ekguy is right, you have to look at what they excel at before you make a decision.

Like him, I've made some bad decisions with my pieces and over the last few years I've really thought and searched for the right pieces and artist.

Good luck man, if you don't mind travelling to canmore, take a look at Jesse James at New World Samurai

Canucks3322
05-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Thread highjack... Best place in Calgary to get tattoo removed:nut:

ekguy
05-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Thread highjack... Best place in Calgary to get tattoo removed:nut:

honor bound, which is also an excellent place to start looking for an artist!!!

Ymerej472008
05-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ekguy

There's plenty of popular shops in Calgary and area that have good artists. Go see the portfolios, you get a feel for the style they like, if it fits what you want, you book a consultation, meet with them, get the outline of the area you want done, etc, etc.

Tattoos shouldn't be a rash decision and oh who's the best shop?!?! blah blah blah.

My last one the process has taken over a year, from picking the artist, having a proper consult, having her design it properly and I'm finally going in in a month to have it done.

Ditto. Took me roughly a year from beginning of the whole thought to having it done. Its a MUST to do your research in person imo...

ToXicXxX
05-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks folks.

To be clear ekguy, I know I should be checking places in person, but a starting point is always good.

I have a tattoo on my right wrist that Heroes and Villains did, as I was recommended them, and I'm not 100% with it. So I was just trying to see who else out there is recommended.

ekguy
05-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Some good places to start would be:

Honor Bound
Enso
Deadly
Ghost Town
Smiling Buddha

I'm sure some guys can add to the list.

Honestly I have two tattoos from Heroes and Villains as well and one is great and one is so so.

Just have to play to their individual styles and they can knock out some nice work as well as many others.

ekguy
05-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Also as far as laser removal goes I have spoken to the guy at honor bound a couple times concerning some of mine I want removed and he's got a few different machines to accommodate all types of tattoos and prices seem reasonable.

That.Guy.S30
05-16-2015, 06:46 PM
My last tattoo was at yellowblaze in Yokohama. Yes, Yellowblaze. Tattoo fiends will know that shop.

Deadly is probably 'the' go to shop in Calgary. James Tex always pumping out some of the best artwork in town. Serious wait time but splendid artists. Also Heather McLean aka H-bomb @strange world if your lucky enough to get in with her.

I am picky with my artwork and would only suggest those two shops.