PDA

View Full Version : Where to get my wheels painted?

thinmyster
05-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Looking for a place to get my wheels painted. Is powder coating still a no no?

Will any paint shop do them?

88CRX
05-25-2015, 03:40 PM
I have painted wheels right now and they're way more scuffed and chipped then any of my previously powder coated wheels.

Calgary Powder Coating, $75ish/wheel and it lasts forever. They've done dozens of wheels of mine and friend and zero issues, including lots that have seen track time when Racecity was still around.

thinmyster
05-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks. I've been reading powder coating weakens then wheel . Any truth to that?

thinmyster
05-25-2015, 04:05 PM
The original powder coat on my advans chips way to easy.

88CRX
05-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
Thanks. I've been reading powder coating weakens then wheel . Any truth to that?

If its cooked too hot then yes.

I'm pretty sure someone confirmed with Calgary Powder Coating that the temps they cook at are safe. Could always check with them :dunno:

Also I found powdercoating was cheaper than going to paint shops.

JfuckinC
05-25-2015, 04:27 PM
My trucks rims are powder coated and they look great.. no chips i have noticed and still look fresh!

Done at Calgary powder coating, my buddy just got his STi rims done there too.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Will Calgary powdercoating strip them as well or do I need to find somewhere else to do that? Thinking of changing the wheel color on my BRZ.

88CRX
05-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Will Calgary powdercoating strip them as well or do I need to find somewhere else to do that? Thinking of changing the wheel color on my BRZ.

They will strip them (you need to remove the tires) and I'm pretty sure that's included in the price.

I know Top Gun and other charges extra for stripping (when I got quotes from them) and they were more expensive for powder too.

Also you can typically throw in extra stuff like misc brackets, tow hooks, bars, etc for minimal extra charge.

SR240SX
05-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Mine are powder, allot more durable I'd say..

soupey
06-07-2015, 09:14 AM
when they strip them do they correct any of hte minor curbage or deeper scratches before powdercoating?