PDA

View Full Version : Alternator

QBA
09-28-2002, 01:52 PM
Hi

This is my first time in this forum so hello to everyone

4 month ago I bought my first Car, to go from point A to B (Work); I bought a Mazda Protégé 1992. Everyone that see the car say that is a good car because the motor sound good and is in great conditions, but all that I see is that this is the 5 time it brakes, and is always the same problem “the alternator dies”.

I took it to a mechanic the first time and he put in a rebuild alternator, since then it has broken 5 times for the same reason, the car drive fine for a couple of days with the new replaced alternator and then start to lose electricity as I drive until it dies, My old battery looked ok but I bought a brand new battery to be 100% sure it wasn’t it, and the car broke again.

I have a year warranty on the alternator so a least I’m not paying for all those alternators, after replacing the 4 alternator my mechanic start to look for what could be causing the alternators to stop working, and he can’t find what else is wrong with it.

Can some one tell me what could be making alternator after alternator to stop working over and over again?

Thanks

Alex

Weapon_R
09-28-2002, 02:27 PM
It happened to my once in our minivan. It is not so much the alternator your mechanic should look for, but the wires that draw power from the alternator. They may be corroded, or loose. That was the problem, and after replacing two alternators in less than 2 months my mechanic started looking for the problem elsewhere. That is where it was at.