PDA

View Full Version : Lift or no lift

syscal
05-27-2015, 01:01 AM
So, went camping with our new trailer. It's a 28' Keystone Hideout.

Truck is 2007 Dodge 2500 with 6.7L diesel.

The truck came with one of those block lifts in the rear from factory and the original owner put a 2" leveling kit on front.

I put on Bilstein 5100 series shocks in front and back last year.

So...coming back from south of Calgary I get some sway. Nothing so bad I lose control, but bad enough I get out of the truck to see WTF. Dave's post ads to my paranoia.

I removed all the chrome plated crap from the truck when I bought it but now I'm thinking I should remove this "lift" to completely de-douche it. It will be cheap or DIY since it's a leveling kit and block lift, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows whether this would improve the towing ride or not. I had to get a drop hitch just to tow the trailer so it's definitely higher than the average truck.

Also, the thing will rattle your teeth out on Sarcee, hoping the lift removal will help smooth out the ride a bit.

Any advise?

firebane
05-27-2015, 05:39 AM
What size of blocks in the rear? Being a 3/4 ton unless you have weight in the back they generally ride rough.

What tires are you running and what tire pressure? Tires and tire pressure can play a big role in ride comfort as well.

heavyfuel
05-27-2015, 07:13 AM
A levelling kit is meant for just that, levelling. Previous owner defeated the whole purpose of a levelling kit by adding rear blocks since Dodges sit 2" lower in the front when stock. Take the rear blocks out and leave the front as it is and get some rear airbags and you will be fine. And if you're gonna tow one of those ridiculous show-off units don't ever settle for anything less than 10 ply/E-rated tires, no matter what the "experts" say.

Having towed a 14' dump trailer with 4' high sides plus or minus 10-15k lbs all day every day for over 2 years, I personally could not imagine towing one of those weekend warrior homes on wheels and trying to call that fun.

Sugarphreak
05-27-2015, 08:11 AM

AndyL
05-27-2015, 08:34 AM
I've found sway to be more of an issue between truck/trailer combo (and configuration). Are you running a WD hitch?

I'm probably the oddball - I really dislike WD hitches... Every time I've used one - I had massive pucker factor. Noteably SpikerS's trailer last fall, probably could tow that with a bloody Jetta (and I'm pretty sure it was less than half my trucks rated capacity), with the WD hitch - it felt like it was a 30' toyhauler pushing me around - drop the torsion bars, it towed beautiful.

Take a good look at the combo and setup (self weigh scale is on macleod trail south of calgary before the hill up to okotoks)

ExtraSlow
05-27-2015, 09:35 AM
I agree with Andy, to a point. WD hitches can make sway problems worse if you set them up too tight so as to reduce your tongue weight.

Anyone who is pulling with a different truck or trailer should spend some time getting the hitch and WD system set up correctly. The easiest way I know to do this is to take it to the CAT scale at the truck stop, and run it across a few different times to get true and accurate axle weights.

I just did this before the long weekend with my new trailer. I got mine set up in three passes:
- once with just the truck, no trailer
- once with trailer and WD system disengaged
- Once with WD system engaged to my "best guess" setup.

That tells me a true tongue weight, and also exactly how much weight I'm shifting using the WD system. I wouldn't feel comfortable towing without that info.

They do charge for these weighs, but it's not unreasonable, and it's information that you really do need.
If anyone is interested in seeing my weigh tickets to get an idea of how this works, I'll post them.

AndyL
05-27-2015, 12:37 PM
*cough* not that I'd recommend such things, but there's a self weigh beside the aldersyde petrocan - might not want to do it if you see a "Peace officer" or DOT truck there, but... it is a "Self Weigh"

:D

Even combo's I know are setup correctly - I really dislike the way WD hitches make the combination feel. I'd rather the consistent weight on the hitch vs the load/unloading dependent on angle.

However - No, WD hitches do not adjust tongue load so much - as they adjust load from rear to front axle of the tow vehicle... Yes on the scale it looks like you've reduced tongue load, but that load is still there...

ExtraSlow
05-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Andy, I agree, it doesn't reduce the mount of load that is transmitted through the tongue, but it does change the way the truck "sees" that weight, and the resulting handling can be similar to a trailer with a reduced tongue weight.

I think I may start a thread for discussing this topic specifically. It's a pretty deep rabbit hole once you start going down it.

I'm not familiar with using those self-weigh provincial scales, I always just pay my money and use the CAT scale at the husky on Barlow NE. Very simple.

syscal
05-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Yea, I had a WD hitch. Inlaws own an RV dealership so I just go with what the service manager tells me.

The blocks on the back are stock, the leveling kit brought the truck to level.

I find it's hard on my knees getting in and out so that might be another reason to ditch the lift.

Tires are 285/60R20.

I'm not really concerned with the sway as much as wondering whether the lift affects towing and if removing it would/should smooth out the ride a bit.

SKR
05-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by syscal
Yea, I had a WD hitch. Inlaws own an RV dealership so I just go with what the service manager tells me.

The blocks on the back are stock, the leveling kit brought the truck to level.

I find it's hard on my knees getting in and out so that might be another reason to ditch the lift.

Tires are 285/60R20.

I'm not really concerned with the sway as much as wondering whether the lift affects towing and if removing it would/should smooth out the ride a bit.

You shouldn't need the lift to clear those tires. I ran 305/70R17s and 33x12.50R17s on my 2005 Dodge with no lift and no rubbing. That's all I have to contribute.

Edit: on stock wheels though.

Darell_n
05-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Are you talking about just removing the front levelling kit? Doesn't sound like the truck has any lift kit from your description and I wouldn't consider the factory rear blocks as something you want to touch.