PDA

View Full Version : digital camera choice

cujo_cjc
03-10-2004, 10:13 PM
hi quick question
i don't kno much about digital cameras and my parents have told me to find out whats good

right now its between the sony DSC-P92 and the canon s400

i kno the sony is better in the mp area, but is that it?

they also want me to take in to account the price difference between the 2 since the sony is on for $430 at futurshop compared to the $600 s400

blinkme_210
03-10-2004, 10:21 PM
It all depends on what you wanna do with the camera. Point n shoot? Macro shots? Are you picky with the detail of your pics? A lot of factors play in.

However, when comparing these 2 cameras specifically. Go with the Canon, you will be MUCH happier how the pictures turn out. Canon allows much more manual programming. Like control of the aperture, shutter speed, etc, all of which are vital to achieving good looking cameras in low light, outdoor, indoor, etc conditions.

With Sony you are usually paying for the brand name of it's products. What the P92 is basically a 5 MGP version of the P72, which isn't that great. But still an awesome camera nonetheless.

However, Sony digicams have the wicked feature of the MPEG Movie VX mode. No time limits on the video, shoot as much as you want, suffice you have the available space. Most digicams limit you to shooting of about only 30 second clips, maybe with or without sound, depending on the manufacturer. On my V1 (Sony), I can shoot about 5:30 minutes of 640x480 resolution video with sound on a 256mb stick. While if I shot it in 120x320 resolution I think, I can achieve over 1 hour & 45 minutes, WITH sound.

I suggest you take the time to research THOROUGHLY on which camera you want. Or you can purchase the camera from FS, test it out, and if you don't like the pictures of it, etc, you can always return it within 14 days.

Just remember one thing though, a perfect all around camera does not exist :D

Ben
03-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Megapixles is not everything. if yyou dont plan on printing photos larger than 8x10, dont worry about it.

Also, Canon has far superior color capture.

googe
03-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Canon!

Ben
03-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

Just remember one thing though, a perfect all around camera does not exist :D

Unless you buy the canon 300D :D

I love mine and I feel it is the best all around. and apparantly do millions of others.

hash
03-10-2004, 10:24 PM
yah.. i have a canon a70... and its pretty sweet.
mine's 3.2 megapixels. a friend of mine has a sony cybershot with similar specs... and mine takes better pictures.

I've heard the Canon lenses are quite good... that could be the reason why.

blinkme_210
03-10-2004, 10:32 PM
The thing with Sony is, they can make EXCELLENT products comparable to other top end manufacturers. The only catch is, you pay a really high price for it. Their low end consumer products are also good, but not great when compared to other manufacturers.

cujo_cjc
03-10-2004, 10:33 PM
thats the one thing i like about the sony, cuz u can take a long ass video with it :)

but we're really only using the digi cam to take normal pictures, nothing really that big either.

so is it tru that sony sucks for cameras period? :nut:

blinkme_210
03-10-2004, 10:37 PM
No no, Sony cameras are good in their own right. But not that good when compared to other camera manufacturers. I guess I am a little biased, because I am somewhat of an enthuasiast. So I look for more manual control over the camera, rather than having the camera auto focus/set everything, and having it turn out like crap when I upload it.

In terms of the typical consumer who just wants to shoot pictures, and be able to view them quickly, Sony's are a great choice.

Ben
03-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Canon isn't the leading camera manufacturer in the world for no reason you know.

In My Opinion, sony does so well because of the same reason Rogers/Fido does so well. lots of flashy bells and whistles (cool phones) to catch peoples attention, but mediocre service. When it comes to phones, what is their purpose? To phone and work when making phone calls. Telus is the best at that. What is the main point of a camera? Good quality pictures. Canon is the best at that.

benyl
03-11-2004, 12:02 AM
A couple of things.

The S400 does not allow you to control Aperture and Shutter speed. I have one. If you want a Canon that does that, get the S50.

I have a Sony as well. It is a POS. I also have a 300D.

IMO, Sony has been slipping. They no longer make the best TVs out there and they are sub par in the camera market. (Everyone knows they make shitty in-dash CD players). They have become just a brand name that people used to associate with quality.

They make good stuff, there is no doubt about that, but they don't make the best stuff.

I know people are going to say that we are most people on this board are Canon biased, but I'd like to see you get a photo like this with a Sony:

http://benyl.com/Beyond/sunset3.jpg

xkon
03-11-2004, 12:28 AM
I have an S400, and love it... Im looking for an S50 as well, they're great cameras

EG STyLeZ
03-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by xkon
I have an S400, and love it... Im looking for an S50 as well, they're great cameras

Yeah I have one as well. It's a wicked camera, but i'm starting to want to have more manual controls like the aperture, shutter speed etc as previously mentioned.

GTS Jeff
03-11-2004, 04:05 PM
The thing with Sony is, they can make EXCELLENT products comparable to other top end manufacturers.

Sony cameras are not that good when compared to other camera manufacturers.

:nut:

sony does suck tho. they sell with their name, not with their quality.

blinkme_210
03-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

:nut:

sony does suck tho. they sell with their name, not with their quality.

Lol, my bad. Bolding the wrong words. Can, not excellent.