PDA

View Full Version : Home Security Companies

nj2Type-S
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
hey guys,

i just moved into a new home, and i'm looking at some home security companies. so far, i'm looking at ADT and Vivint. my friends and family seem to like their services. What are your guys' thoughts? My home is already pre-wired for an alarm system.

thanks in advance!

locust
06-02-2015, 01:13 PM
I went with United as they gave me the lowest monthly rate of 19.99.

StreetRacerX
06-03-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm rocking Vivint and so far it's pretty good, had them install their tstat, panel, doorbell camera, door sensors, motion sensors, and electronic door lock. Their services cost us $70 a month including tax but I can operate the systems from their app on my phone.

dj_rice
06-03-2015, 02:22 PM
I have Vivint as well. But just the basic security package.

If I lived in Calgary though, I'd probably get United. Cheap rate and good service it seems from all the reviews.

roopi
06-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX
I'm rocking Vivint and so far it's pretty good, had them install their tstat, panel, doorbell camera, door sensors, motion sensors, and electronic door lock. Their services cost us $70 a month including tax but I can operate the systems from their app on my phone.

:nut: $70.00/month? A little excessive IMO.

ExtraSlow
06-03-2015, 03:31 PM
I thought $20 was too much, and now I pay $0. Have been happy with the service so far.

StreetRacerX
06-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by roopi

:nut: $70.00/month? A little excessive IMO.

Was in a house in Chaparral replacing a humidifier yesterday and the home owner uses ADT, they pay $65 a month for door sensors, motion sensors, the tstat, a couple mobile cameras, also able to do a couple things from their app. The thing that shocked me is they paid $2000 for each of those cameras which look like higher quality baby monitors that have WiFi, :nut:

Asian_defender
06-04-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm with vivint as well on that same plan and I'm happy with it.
I will agree that $70/month is steep but most of my gear was free so I can live with that

98type_r
06-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Has anybody tried Rogers since they entered the AB market? Prices seem to be competitive, but it can get pricy adding all the additional options.

nj2Type-S
06-04-2015, 11:46 AM
for you guys with vivint, how much did it cost for installation and equipment?

my friend who just got vivint as their provider has the same plan as most of you: $70/mo. are their call centers in calgary?

StreetRacerX
06-04-2015, 11:52 AM
We got the door to door guy, equipment and install was free, he says he gives a deal to two houses a day (took it with a grain of salt as it could be bull shit high pressure sales technique ) apparently if I refer people to him they get the same deal and I get a free month hahaha, dunno though.

Darell_n
06-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Pretty much the same sales tactic for Liberty Security out here in Cochrane. I bought home and auto insurance from the same guys, after I did my homework extensively, and saved about $140/month on premiums and pay $70 for monitoring and automation. Certified monitored security will cut home insurance premiums from any insurance company.

dj_rice
06-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
for you guys with vivint, how much did it cost for installation and equipment?

my friend who just got vivint as their provider has the same plan as most of you: $70/mo. are their call centers in calgary?

They are doing installation free now I believe. Their head office is in Utah so not sure if call centers are there as well BUT the good news is their call center agents speak English and aren't from India!

I like them due to their customer service, on phone for maybe a minute hold and whatever problems I have, fixed always after the call. As well, I've had a few lawn signs get damaged from wind, etc and give them a call and they send new ones free. I believe United will charge you for new signs.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2015, 08:41 PM
United has their call centre here in Calgary. If that matters.

avishal26
06-04-2015, 09:26 PM
^I have been using United for over 2.5 years now with their WiFi system with app control (no landline) for about $38 per month. No complaints whatsoever and their call centre is Calgary during the weekend and sometimes BC during the weekends.

brandon
06-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

No they don't. Nearly all alarm companies use the same top 5 monitoring stations in the country. United included! Every time these stations call you they will answer the phone and talk with you as if they work for the dealer who sold and installed your system.

The name of the game in the business is accounts. Everyone has their own approach and some will require you pay upfront costs for equipment but lower monthly rate. Others provide you no costs upfront but get you for $900/year on a three year term. At the end of the day they installed around $1000 of equipment for the full setup and sitting on the remaining $1700.

So if you're a guy paying $360/year for monitoring but shelled out $1200 for parts (they need markup) you come out ahead.

Just remember that the cost of a monitoring fee to a typical alarm dealer is $3-6 per account. And as companies go broke and merge and change names etc.. They sell your accounts off to other companies. You may be united now. Untill they run into a financial strap and sell them to Relliance for pennies on the dollar.

deee_wreck
08-27-2015, 05:12 PM
_=bump

shopping around for an alarm system , pricing seems about the same across the board average $45-$50 per month for gsm no land line, no cameras. 2 doors, 5 windows, 2 motions, 2 fobs.

ADT, United, Vivant, EIT, supreme, all include equipment, some want activation fee but give discounted first couple months. add $10/mth for cameras but need wifi.

did you folks negotiate for lower monthly?

Asian_defender
08-27-2015, 05:29 PM
I found it was tought to negotiate for lower monthly.
Had an easier time negotiating the equipment costs and lowering the contract term

vw_rabbit2.5
09-01-2015, 12:45 PM
i just called united for a quote:

They have an anniversary special right now for $29.99/month, but you need to have a landline. This package uses an older control unit (non touchscreen).
http://www.unitedalarm.ca/special-promotions/#

If you don't have a landline, then there's a gold package for $34.95 a month that includes the touchscreen.

Both of these plans were on a 38 month contract. Has anyone had success at negotiating a shorter contract term? If so, any tips on how to negotiate this?

riced
09-01-2015, 01:26 PM
We just signed up with Vivint about two months ago. Salesman came to our door and we usually don't entertain them but we were looking for one and he happened to come off very professional and friendly.

He said it was a "promotion" and they only have X number left to sell but this is what we ended up getting:

$60/month + $99 Activation for 5 Years
Free Installation and Free Equipment (no landline needed)
1 Camera
1 Doorbell Camera/Mic
Two-way Touchscreen Panel (Skycontrol Panel)
1 Motion Sensor
3 Door Sensors
4 Window Stick/Sensors

So far it's been working well and the sales rep checked in with us twice to make sure everything is working as it should. The best part is that all of the equipment was free. The 5 year contract didn't bother us since we just moved in a year ago so by the time that's up, we may potentially move.

I particularly like the doorbell camera/mic because it notifies us on our phones when someone rings it and we can talk to them if we're away through our phones as well. You can set up custom notifications too (ie., doorbell camera senses someone = notification).

guessboi
09-01-2015, 05:13 PM
I bought this online this past weekend.

This rarely goes on sale.

iSmart Alarm Home Security System
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0006019.aspx?path=0e08f4dddd710238d7d830aa875a43eben02

bignerd
09-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Getting tired of Vivint coming around door to door....

They play all sweet and ask you your name, then go to your neighbors and are like "Do you know your neighbor XXXXX just up the road? We just installed XXXXX system in their home".... and yes they only give a "deal" to "two" houses per day lol.

BigDL
09-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by vw_rabbit2.5
i just called united for a quote:

They have an anniversary special right now for $29.99/month, but you need to have a landline. This package uses an older control unit (non touchscreen).
http://www.unitedalarm.ca/special-promotions/#

If you don't have a landline, then there's a gold package for $34.95 a month that includes the touchscreen.

Both of these plans were on a 38 month contract. Has anyone had success at negotiating a shorter contract term? If so, any tips on how to negotiate this?

Not bad, I am using the gold package myself. I like the control panel. If you don't know anyone else on it, i could use the referral ;)

vw_rabbit2.5
09-02-2015, 01:26 PM
I've been trying to get a quote from ADT, but they seem to only want to send out a field salesman to speak with me. I would rather just get a quick quote over the phone. Does anyone have ADT, and have some reviews on their services/pricing?

civic_stylez
09-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by vw_rabbit2.5
I've been trying to get a quote from ADT, but they seem to only want to send out a field salesman to speak with me. I would rather just get a quick quote over the phone. Does anyone have ADT, and have some reviews on their services/pricing?

I have ADT and Im pretty sure they send a field sales guy out as they only provide the service and have independent companies conduct the sales. Similar to buying a car from an independently owned dealer and not from the manufacturer directly. Ive been happy with ADT and the call centre is local in Calgary so they at least understand the area that you are in. I pay 49.99/mo. Burglary/Fire/Carbon Mono monitoring. It comes with the app that allows you to arm/disarm the system and monitor when doors/windows were opened. Nothing earth shattering but ive been happy with it and the system is completely wireless and can be moved to another home if you move. Id look for a list of the retailers from ADT and work with them that way.

deee_wreck
09-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Any updates from others? I now also see Rogers is offering home security.

I am thinking of getting a wireless GSM system, that has motion, monitors doors and windows. And just buy a couple of my own wifi cameras.

I was leaning towards vivant or supreme, but on the fence which would be better.

Thoughts?

KPHMPH
09-30-2015, 04:14 PM
I was going to go with a self monitoring system but ended up with Vivint for the insurance break.

I like it a lot and for 59$ a month a cant complain.

I love the live video feature with auto record on movement.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/1793F468-0E6D-46F3-B14D-B1E0A0CE3268_zpspsabhnv2.png

nj2Type-S
10-14-2015, 11:48 PM
it took a while, but i think we're gonna go with vivint, too. a friend of mine is pretty happy with them, and from what i've read on here, there aren't ang concerns.

i would really like to add a rear camera (prompted by that video on discovery ridge that's been going around), and would like equipment to be hardwired, because we already spent the money pre-wiring our newly-built house lol.

nzwasp
10-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by KPHMPH
I was going to go with a self monitoring system but ended up with Vivint for the insurance break.

I like it a lot and for 59$ a month a cant complain.

I love the live video feature with auto record on movement.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/1793F468-0E6D-46F3-B14D-B1E0A0CE3268_zpspsabhnv2.png

The insurance break is only 5% which is fuck all really, when vivint came round they told me the break would be 15% which is fucking bullshit as its not true.

Originally posted by nj2Type-S

i would really like to add a rear camera (prompted by that video on discovery ridge that's been going around), and would like equipment to be hardwired, because we already spent the money pre-wiring our newly-built house lol.

I've also seen this video and decided putting an old baseball bat in my sliding door well was the solution. Although you should also double check that you've locked your basement windows too.

nj2Type-S
10-17-2015, 07:56 AM
how much of a discount were you guys able to get from your insurance provider by having a securty system installed?

ExtraSlow
10-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Before I disconnected my system, I was saving maybe four bucks a month.

Haven't missed it.

Darell_n
10-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Protectron (now is ADT) use to push for home and auto insurance through Liberty Insurance up in Edmonton. The savings actually covered the monthly fee plus $20 more, so it did work out for me. The insurance part was a surprising pleasant experience as I generally despise all insurance companies.

dj_rice
10-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Yeah the savings from insurance isn't crazy, its more the piece of mind that your house is "semi" protected.

But in the end, if the thief wants in, nothing will stop him.

nj2Type-S
10-17-2015, 01:29 PM
i'm with state farm, and if it's even 10% off/mo, it still adds up lol.

nzwasp
10-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Yeah the savings from insurance isn't crazy, its more the piece of mind that your house is "semi" protected.

But in the end, if the thief wants in, nothing will stop him.

I cant remember the username of the cop on the forum but he only used a self monitored system and I think that would be better than ADT of which I have now. Because with ADT if I do get a break in they will send out a security guard and maybe the cops will shows up 4 hours later.

Self monitored - see it in progress call 911 and they are there a few mins later.

Also last night there were a large group of young men in my area checking out cars, causing mischief and acting suspicious, I called the police non emergency line and the cops showed up 5 mins later, and they had a firm speaking to the guys that were around.

Darell_n
10-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Any new monitored system is likely going to have cameras as well. If I see a break-in at home there is zero chance of me not calling the police myself. The police not responding immediately to an alarm from a monitoring company is completely irrelevant as long as the fire dept will to a fire alarm.

nj2Type-S
10-17-2015, 10:46 PM
what are the typical contract duration for these services? 5 years seems to be a long time. i'm scared to know the cost for cancelling early..

Darell_n
10-17-2015, 10:50 PM
They try to push for 5 year contracts but it is negotiable.

nytrydr89
12-08-2015, 01:32 PM
bump. was at home depot yesterday and seen a "wink hub" system that integrates things such as a video doorbell and door lock automation. was also thinking vivint does likely the same thing just with a monitoring system. anyone got any new promos through vinvint lately or use this wink hub system at all?

spike98
12-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
They try to push for 5 year contracts but it is negotiable.

I negotiated down to 36 with a full load system.

That being said, they are dicking me around on an outdoor camera so once you sign on the line they stop giving a shit.

chongkee_
12-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by spike98

I negotiated down to 36 with a full load system.

That being said, they are dicking me around on an outdoor camera so once you sign on the line they stop giving a shit.

Vivint did they same thing to me. They refunded me my money and gave me a doorbell camera instead.

superspeed
06-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Just bumping old thread what are you guys paying for vivint and how long is your term?

03ozwhip
06-14-2016, 08:30 AM
I'd like to know as well. I get possession of my place mid July so I want to hear what's out there. I won't be getting a home phone so I'm sure my options are limited.

Darell_n
06-14-2016, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
I'd like to know as well. I get possession of my place mid July so I want to hear what's out there. I won't be getting a home phone so I'm sure my options are limited.

They use cell service, not a landline.

riced
06-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by superspeed
Just bumping old thread what are you guys paying for vivint and how long is your term?

$59.99/month on 5 year contract.
It's been 1 year so far and no issues - everything works as expected. Customer service has been great every time I've called.
The package I have is:
Sky Panel
2x Indoor Camera
1x Doorbell Camera
All basement window sensors
2x main floor door sensors

03ozwhip
06-14-2016, 09:10 AM

They use cell service, not a landline.
The last one I used was landline thats not even a year ago.

AzNxHyDrA
06-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

The last one I used was landline thats not even a year ago.

He may have been referring to Vivint since the guy above you was asking about it.

IIRC Vivint uses cell services.

Darell_n
06-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by riced

It's been 1 year so far and no issues - everything works as expected. Customer service has been great every time I've called.
The package I have is:
Sky Panel
2x Indoor Camera
1x Doorbell Camera

FYI, you can force a firmware upgrade to v3. Panel seems faster, doorbell record settings working better.

R-Audi
06-14-2016, 12:26 PM
Anyone use Rogers?
Im with Allstate and they have pretty steep discounts if you do.00 25% 1st year, 20% 2nd and 15% from then on..

brandon
06-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Anyone use Rogers?
Im with Allstate and they have pretty steep discounts if you do.00 25% 1st year, 20% 2nd and 15% from then on..

Rogers, doesn't even use Rogers...

When you're in the store talking with the sales person, notice the Protectron stickers and protectron keypads..

R-Audi
06-14-2016, 04:10 PM
Looking online it appears as though Protechtron is ADT?

Talked to Rogers and got this quote:
3 door sensors
1 motion
touchpad
light bulb (guess its wifi/bluetooth)
Additional sensors $49.99
$19.99 1-12 mo
$39.99 13-24mo
$0.00 install

For which I would also qualify for a 25% discount year 1 on home insurance and 20% year 2, which would make all monitoring fees free.

Or add a camera for $49.99 up front and then 24.99 for the 1st year and 44.99 the second.

So far this looks quite good compared to others I have looked at...

riced
06-16-2016, 07:19 PM

FYI, you can force a firmware upgrade to v3. Panel seems faster, doorbell record settings working better.

Wicked! Is that through the sky panel? If I didn't force it, would it eventually upgrade itself?

Darell_n
06-16-2016, 07:36 PM

Wicked! Is that through the sky panel? If I didn't force it, would it eventually upgrade itself?

It is in the Installer's Toolbox on the SkyControl panel and mine was happy to sit there with 2 years worth of updates waiting.

dj_rice
06-17-2016, 12:01 AM
My 42 month contract with Vivint is up in 4 months so I'll be asking for alot of freebies if they want me to re-sign.

I'm still on the Go Control panel. Not the fancy Sky one you guys all have now.

Would like a door bell camera and outdoor camera as well as a window break sensor

$49.99/month

Go Control Panel
1 Motion Detector Main Floor
1 Motion Detector Basement
3 Door Sensors Main Floor
1 Garage Door Tilt Sensor
1 Smoke Detector

HomespunLobster
06-17-2016, 01:20 AM
With the Vivint system, how much did you guys pay up front, if anything, for hardware?

Darell_n
06-17-2016, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
My 42 month contract with Vivint is up in 4 months so I'll be asking for alot of freebies if they want me to re-sign.

I'm still on the Go Control panel. Not the fancy Sky one you guys all have now.

Would like a door bell camera and outdoor camera as well as a window break sensor

$49.99/month

Go Control Panel
1 Motion Detector Main Floor
1 Motion Detector Basement
3 Door Sensors Main Floor
1 Garage Door Tilt Sensor
1 Smoke Detector

Is this still using Alarm.com remote interface? If so, the Sky panel is 100x faster as the remote connection talks directly to the panel in your house and not through a cloud service like Alarm.com. I've had both and it's absolutely worth the upgrade. And the doorbell camera is the tits.

imranm
06-17-2016, 08:31 AM
Take a look at United.
I pay $38 per month including Alarm.com interface. Its a 34 month contract and included a bunch of sensors and detectors.

It's a "dumb" system but it gives me all the alerts on my phone including arming/disarming and scheduling.

yellowGTS
06-17-2016, 09:13 AM
When I bought my house in 2007, I had Protectron install a basic system. Door/window sensors, carbon monoxide. I was paying 29.99 per month.....when I sold my home in 2015, I called and they were great about the whole thing, although the call went directly to ADT

During the 10 years, I had a couple of false alarms (pets knocking over vases, etc).....and one situation where the front door sensor went crazy thinking the door was open. Never had any issues with response times, monitoring or customer service.

Not sure what to do for my next property since it will be a condo.

dj_rice
06-17-2016, 09:25 AM

Is this still using Alarm.com remote interface? If so, the Sky panel is 100x faster as the remote connection talks directly to the panel in your house and not through a cloud service like Alarm.com. I've had both and it's absolutely worth the upgrade. And the doorbell camera is the tits.

Yes the app is from Alarm.com interface. A few years back, every few months the app would be shit, I'd try to send the unlock command and it wasn't communicating with the panel and I wasn't able to unlock with the app, so I would have to call their customer service and tell them hey I'm about to break into my house, make sure its a false alarm.

But since my contract is up, I have the power.

When I first signed, install was $99, that was back in 2013. I see now its all free install and a ton of free equipment. And I had to pay $45 for my garage tilt sensor. All other sensors were included in package. I believe it was a 9 point system.

03ozwhip
06-17-2016, 02:12 PM

The package I have is:
Sky Panel
2x Indoor Camera
1x Doorbell Camera

I just talked to vivint and I was quoted the exact same thing minus one camera on a 42 month contract $99 install fee. I don't know if it's worth callong anyone else or asking g for anymore, what do you guys figure?

redblack
06-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Holy crap you guys are paying lots. I'm paying $20/month with United for monitoring and guard service

03ozwhip
06-17-2016, 02:51 PM
Right. I was paying 30 a month for a fairly basic service plus a couple of windows. 60 a month is for alot more including cameras. What are you getting for that 20 a month

Darell_n
06-17-2016, 03:32 PM
The higher prices covers the cell phone in the panel and cloud video storage.

redblack
06-17-2016, 04:21 PM
For 20/month I get 24/7 monitoring and 5 guard service call outs. 3 doors, 4 motions. I've been using United for 7yrs.

ExtraSlow
06-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by brandon
No they don't. Nearly all alarm companies use the same top 5 monitoring stations in the country. United included! .... So, was just thinking about this as a saw an advertisement from United Alarms on the back of a bus. Said something like "24/7 monitoring from our Calgary Call Centre"
Checked thier website, and the wording is different,
"Located in North East Calgary, we serve your community as well as Southern Alberta area. No overseas call center, only local operators."

So, are they straight up lying? Or what's the deal? Not that it matters to me any more, as I'm not a client, but I'd just like to know.

I can say that when I cancelled with United, it was zero hassle, and the lady on the phone thanked me for my business. A+, would use again.

brandon
06-20-2016, 10:05 AM
So, was just thinking about this as a saw an advertisement from United Alarms on the back of a bus. Said something like "24/7 monitoring from our Calgary Call Centre"
Checked thier website, and the wording is different,
"Located in North East Calgary, we serve your community as well as Southern Alberta area. No overseas call center, only local operators."

So, are they straight up lying? Or what's the deal? Not that it matters to me any more, as I'm not a client, but I'd just like to know.

I can say that when I cancelled with United, it was zero hassle, and the lady on the phone thanked me for my business. A+, would use again.

To be honest, I worded that incorrectly. United could very well have a monitoring station here in town. (most do not, just use local area codes to make you think they are local) And usually piggy back on larger corporations as a dealer (ADT, Damar, Etc)

What I believe I was trying to get at, is they advertise themselves as a 5 diamond certified station. (big deal in the industry) Which I could never find any record of them achieving this rank.

So maybe not all lies, but certainly some of it.

Here is a list of 5 Diamond stations

http://csaaintl.org/csaa-five-diamond-central-stations/

rage2
06-20-2016, 10:50 AM
I'm going to watch Oceans 13 now.

1pFJMA0BrRA