PDA

View Full Version : Is Globefish still infested with cockroaches?

Robin Goodfellow
06-03-2015, 06:54 PM
.... And are they still serving Shark Fin soup?

InRich
06-03-2015, 10:54 PM
^ your a real piece of shit if you eat shark fin soup.

edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65FgUYdBOc

Maxx Mazda
06-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Just watched that whole video. While I've never had shark fin soup, I never understood the barbaric practices behind it before. Thanks for sharing.

JRSC00LUDE
06-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Troll level strong.

beyond_ban
06-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by InRich

Wow, i knew it was bad but this post was really eye opening as far as just how bad. Sickening, especially considering it doesn't even taste good and is only eaten as status symbol.

ZenOps
06-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Europeans eat Caviar all the time. Each spoonful is pretty much hundreds of not quite but soon to be endangered species sturgeon that will never live. Its pretty much salty... as opposed to mostly flavourless shark fin.

Its human nature. Atlantic cod was the tastiest fish out there, and I'm sorry for the future generations that will never taste one. I had no idea at the time that it would ever end as they were pulling millions of tons of them out of the ocean. But damn, they were the perfect fish and chips. It does make me wonder what some of the extinct varieties of Bison tasted like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_of_the_Atlantic_northwest_cod_fishery

Handing a $2 bill and getting a plate of Altantic cod and chips... Jeebus I miss those days.

killramos
06-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Comparing Shark Fin soup to Caviar or Codfish is :nut:

Oh wait because ZenOps :rolleyes:

ZenOps
06-04-2015, 07:16 AM
Well, asians pay quite a hefty sum for fin - Europeans pay a hefty sum for Caviar. At least with the shark fin you can make quite a few bowls with it. With Caviar, you've basically killed off a few hundred sturgeon.

Asians pay extra for varieties of tofu, arguably - all varieties are flavourless to the European palate. Salmon eggs soaked in brine is a rough estimate of caviar, and I have difficulty telling the difference because of my salt-insensitive palate.

Me, I just finished off a seven pound ham shank (98 cent/pound superstore this week) in three days. Not that I ever in my craziest nightmare expected bacon to hit $10 per pound ($8 for a 375 gram package)

rage2
06-04-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm guessing OP is talking about this:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/11/22/alberta-health-services-closes-calgarys-globefish-sushi--izakaya-after-cockroaches-were-found

While I'm not a fan of Globefish, I've worked in the restaurant industry, and every restaurant I've worked at suffers from this. Most restaurants perform monthly fumigation and cleanup, so it all depends when inspections happen, and some get caught with bugs. It's nothing out of the ordinary.

I am confused by the Shark Fin Soup comment though. Why would a Japanese restaurant serve a Chinese dish? :dunno:

lilmira
06-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I am confused by the Shark Fin Soup comment though. Why would a Japanese restaurant serve a Chinese dish? :dunno:

Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, all the same kind of rice eating asians. :dunno:

CanmoreOrLess
06-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Rage is right, and I too have worked in restaurants with much the same experience. I live close to an Original Joe's, they have a pest truck parked out back at least once a month, it shows they are on top of the situation.

The OP needs to lose massive user points, as this is taking a local business reputation and turning it into his troll food. He'd be turfed for making a comment in some areas for far less. No wonder he is on my banned list.

ExtraSlow
06-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Shit, you're lucky if us whities can figure out the difference between a paksitani and a chinese person.

CanmoreOrLess
06-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, all the same kind of rice eating asians. :dunno:

In the Archie Bunker spirit of your post, asians should be called orientals.

InRich
06-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Shit, you're lucky if us whities can figure out the difference between a paksitani and a chinese person.

HAHAHA! lol!

clem24
06-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Yeah Shark Fin soup at Globefish.. WTF and everyone fell for it. :rolleyes:

Dertz
06-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by InRich

Are sharks real pieces of shit when they kill people?
What if we only took the fins from homicidal sharks?

JRSC00LUDE
06-04-2015, 02:10 PM

Because he wants to be inflammatory.

I can't believe people are feeding the troll. And speaking of trolls.....

Originally posted by Dertz

:facepalm:

civic_stylez
06-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Dertz

you go to the park to sniff bike seats don't you....

Disoblige
06-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Dertz reminds me of MGCM.

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 02:02 PM

Dunno. Was at Globefish Kensington about 8 years ago and saw Sharkfin soup on the menu.

Never went back.

Perhaps they've dropped it since. But even 8 years ago enough was known about the evils of SFS that it was disgusting that they'd even serve it.

KRyn
06-09-2015, 02:05 PM
I have a hard time believing Globefish ever served SFS.

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
I have a hard time believing Globefish ever served SFS.

Fair enough. It never occurred to me that *ANYWHERE* in Calgary would serve it, and it was pretty shocking to see it on the menu.

If it helps confirm that I was there, I recall that they had some very deluxe and inventive sushi. I likely would have gone back if not for the SFS.

Given the knowledge of SFS that was known even then, it seemed a bit willful and defiant that they even served it.

Given the surprise here, I guess I can only assume they dropped it.

jwslam
06-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Shark fin sushi maybe.. shark fin soup is a very chinese thing, not japanese. :banghead: :banghead:
You having been there doesn't have much credibility (with your name around this site :rofl: :rofl: )

I'm 99% sure that both Regency Palace and Silver Dragon server shark fin soup to this day. There's probably other places too.

edit: confirmed, see link first menu item
http://www.regencypalacerestaurant.com/Soups.html
http://www.howon.ca/dinner/soup.html

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
[B]Shark fin sushi maybe.. shark fin soup is a very chinese thing, not japanese. :banghead: :banghead:

Acknowledged.

Perhaps you were too head banging to notice that many restaurants, even nominally ethnic restaurants, sell a few dishes from other cultures.

This is even truer when dealing with Asian food restaurants.

Could walk around the corner from my place and find two examples.

[B]You having been there doesn't have much credibility (with your name around this site

It strikes me as a flawed analysis to assume that someone would fabricate such an odd story. Particularly when the place is already famous for its roaches!

stillworking
06-09-2015, 09:38 PM
Questions about a restaurant's food safety/sanitation record?

Restaurant Inspection Findings...
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/3149.asp

jwslam
06-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
It strikes me as a flawed analysis to assume that someone would fabricate such an odd story. Particularly when the place is already famous for its roaches!
I meant the part that you're 100% sure they serve shark fin soup.

Robin Goodfellow
06-10-2015, 12:12 PM

I meant the part that you're 100% sure they serve shark fin soup.

Umm....Well, I guess I'm as sure as anyone could be - Unless, of course you're one of those folks that thinks that life is an ongoing hallucination or computer simulation.

Note that you have incorrectly used to present tense, however, whereas my encounter took place about 8 years ago.

I cannot say for sure what they do now, but expect they no longer serve this item.

clem24
06-10-2015, 12:43 PM
If it's Sharkfin sushi, then that I could believe it. But 100% of the time whenever I see it on the menu, it's the fake stuff (i.e. gelatin). Yamato, when they were around, used to serve it. My wife liked it. Basically no sushi establishment is going to sell you real sharkfin sushi for $2-3 a piece.