PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of home phone?

Robin Goodfellow
06-04-2015, 06:13 PM
I've had a land line for years, with a second phone number to use for fax.

Don't really fax any more, and our cell plans are now unlimited.

Thinking of getting rid of the land line.

Any reason not to do so?

Mibz
06-04-2015, 06:21 PM
If it's bundled to other services you may find that it's cheaper to keep it than to cancel it, haha.

heavyfuel
06-04-2015, 06:21 PM
I haven't had a land line in over a decade, seem to be doing just fine. I say get rid of it.

Robin Goodfellow
06-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
I haven't had a land line in over a decade, seem to be doing just fine. I say get rid of it.

Honestly I feel like a moron for having it. It's been down for the last month, and wasn't missed.

Had it repaired today.... and wondered why.

A790
06-04-2015, 06:33 PM
I've never had a land line. I've only ever had a cell since the day I first moved out in 2004.

Cell for main line. Call forwarding number (second line, etc.) is around $5/mo. I use my business account with CallRail.
eFax (www.efax.ca) is ~$15/mo for online fax, super easy.

Done and done :)

blairtruck
06-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
we are 7 years no land line

Robin Goodfellow
06-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck

we are 7 years no land line

I moved from Telus internet to Shaw about 7 years ago, but kept the landline out of habit.

Doing a bit of math, that's about $3000 to maintain a line I didn't use.

Will cancel tomorrow.

Actually no... I'm going to wait until I get my next furnace cleaning call and cancel then.

schurchill39
06-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If it's bundled to other services you may find that it's cheaper to keep it than to cancel it, haha. http://i.imgur.com/pcyO46X.jpg

FixedGear
06-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Haven't had a land line since 2002.

Sugarphreak
06-04-2015, 07:27 PM

Khyron
06-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Have mine as well - for babysitters/grandma/emergencies. House alarm uses it as well, would cost more to switch to a cell unit and lose the "bundle" discount.

carson blocks
06-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Nope. It's 2015, why do I need a phone that doesn't follow me around? I had one for a bit when I lived in a condo, solely so whoever happened to be home could let people in with the buzzer system.

Shaw offered me half price service for 6 months if they could come plug a phone box in. The guy showed up, configured it, and at my request unplugged it again. It's never had a phone plugged in, nor do I even know my number. Even at 'free', I have no use for it. As soon as the 6 months discount are up, they can send the guy to come get it again.

Robin Goodfellow
06-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Nope. It's 2015, why do I need a phone that doesn't follow me around? I had one for a bit when I lived in a condo, solely so whoever happened to be home could let people in with the buzzer system.

Shaw offered me half price service for 6 months if they could come plug a phone box in. The guy showed up, configured it, and at my request unplugged it again. It's never had a phone plugged in, nor do I even know my number. Even at 'free', I have no use for it. As soon as the 6 months discount are up, they can send the guy to come get it again.

Brilliantly stated, and the accompanying story further nails the point.

NoPulp
06-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Still have a landline. It's pointless, but still keep it anyways since so many things are tied to the number such as doctor, dentist and long lost relatives.

I guess it's just too much of a pain to switch everything. But the telemarketers are so annoying. I've found the more I've given out my cell number the more I get spam phone calls too. I'd rather those plug my answering machine then reach me directly.

Black Gts
06-04-2015, 09:51 PM
I had a home phone 5 or so years ago, whenever somebody called it I'd call back on my cell haha

jaeden
06-04-2015, 10:54 PM
I barely even use my cell phone for actual phone calls.

No home phone for a decade. Did recently have a Shaw phone as a promo for a year. Similar to the above story. Only gave the number to a couple people. Had to unplug the phone for some reason and never put it back. Cancelled when the year was up.

ronaldo
06-04-2015, 11:16 PM
http://www.freephoneline.ca/

one time cost...free phone for life

Star1995
06-05-2015, 05:44 AM
FYI, if you have Telus Optic TV then no need to pay for a land line, it comes with one automatically , just check your bill for the phone number, find the jack, plug in a phone and you're good to go.

Cos
06-05-2015, 06:58 AM

ExtraSlow
06-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Star1995
FYI, if you have Telus Optic TV then no need to pay for a land line, it comes with one automatically , just check your bill for the phone number, find the jack, plug in a phone and you're good to go. Uhh, I don't think that's correct. I've looked over my bill, and there's no phone number on there anywhere.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Haven't had a landline in a long time. If I were going to set one up, I'd just run a VOIP system since I already converted all of my phone jacks to RJ45. Maybe I'll run a PBX on a Raspberry Pi or something.

spikerS
06-05-2015, 08:21 AM
I haven't had a landline in quite a few years, and I work for a Telco.

However, recently we have been debating on getting a landline again. We have started leaving our eldest daughter home alone for short periods of time (under and hour), and we are thinking it would be a good idea to have a reliable way of being able to contact her, or vice versa. Currently we have an old iphone running textplus that she uses, but that does not seem all that reliable.

schocker
06-05-2015, 08:32 AM
With all the recent price increase I was looking at perhaps ooma but I heard that the 911 services are pretty shit if you need to use them

carson blocks
06-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Still have a landline. ... my answering machine

You have a landline AND an answering machine? If you still have a pager or fax, we're going to need an intervention.

phreezee
06-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ronaldo
http://www.freephoneline.ca/

one time cost...free phone for life

I use Fongo, but it's $5/month.

schurchill39
06-05-2015, 09:30 AM
FYI, if you have Telus Optic TV then no need to pay for a land line, it comes with one automatically , just check your bill for the phone number, find the jack, plug in a phone and you're good to go.

Hmmm nope. That is not right.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Uhh, I don't think that's correct. I've looked over my bill, and there's no phone number on there anywhere.

I also just looked over my bill (and plugged an old phone into the phone jack) and there is nothing.

Incorrect information is incorrect

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2015, 09:37 AM
I don't know anyone with a land line anymore since they moved away from home. Everyone's parents still have one, but none of the younger generations. Unless you need it for a security system, have young kids at home without cell phones, or to get a special package deal on cable and internet, it's mostly pointless IMO. Everyone has a cell phone these days, and plans with unlimited talk are cheap. Also, texting & email is so prevalent now that I think a lot fewer people rely on voice calls unless it's important. In fact I think group chats are even more efficient than a phone call, because I can tell 10 people something at the same time in a matter of seconds haha.

The other advantage to not having a land line is that you get almost zero telemarketing calls, especially since the no-call list seems to do absolutely nothing.

Proyecto2000
06-05-2015, 11:09 AM
I wish that I didnt need a land line but thanks to the alarm system I am stuck paying for it :bullshit:

max_boost
06-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Yup. Only reason I have it is for the alarm.

sabad66
06-05-2015, 12:45 PM
I just signed up and on my first bill I see a new 587 number that I don't recognize, but it shows up under my internet section not Optik.

Will give this a try... just need to find a 'legacy' phone :)

ExtraSlow
09-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Looking for advice for best home phone. I thought there was a really expensive thread about that subject, but all I can find are things that are several years old, and this one, which doesn't have a real conclusion.
Does anyone remember that thread? Do i just suck at searching?
http://strengthcoachtaylor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/crazy-pills.jpg

The_Penguin
09-02-2015, 01:56 PM
We ditched our Telus landline a few months ago.
Went with Magicjack plus. $50ish for the device and roughly $10.00/year for unlimited long distance in North America.
Threw a few $ at the account for calls to Mexico. Wound up with an easy to remember 403 area code phone number with a fairly unpopular prefix, so far no robocalls.

Quality is very good, no complaints, though we don't use it a lot.

ExtraSlow
09-03-2015, 01:51 PM
OK, after some better digging, the service I was thinking about was Ooma. Once I realized that, searching for it was easier.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/361621/anyone-using-ooma-for-phone-service/
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/374090/cheapest-quotbackupquot-phone/

Think I'll pick up an Ooma unit and see how it goes. Appears to be on sale today at bestbuy.

codetrap
09-03-2015, 02:37 PM

darthVWader
09-03-2015, 03:13 PM
The peace of mind was great when my kid was younger. Now she's a teen with her own cell the landline can go.

sputnik
09-03-2015, 03:22 PM
I switched my phone to Ooma as well.

$5/month and it works just fine.

yellowsnow
09-03-2015, 03:46 PM
I got freephoneline, and connected a obihai device to my home. $0/month, one time fee of $60 or something. had it for a year now, and i'm happy with the call quality

avishal26
09-03-2015, 04:24 PM
I can't remember the last time I had a land line. :eek:

msommers
09-03-2015, 04:43 PM
I think the only time a land line is remotely meaningful these days is if you run a business.

drtoohotty1
09-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Just signed us up the other day with fongo and its been awesome so far.

Env-Consultant
09-04-2015, 12:29 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/87/f0/b3/87f0b3411e2ec7aeca8e4730a11bcdd2.jpg

Dumbass17
09-04-2015, 09:49 AM
what's a home phone?

JRSC00LUDE
09-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I can't even remember when I last had a land line. I do however, still remember the number. :nut:

spike98
09-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
I haven't had a landline in quite a few years, and I work for a Telco.

However, recently we have been debating on getting a landline again. We have started leaving our eldest daughter home alone for short periods of time (under and hour), and we are thinking it would be a good idea to have a reliable way of being able to contact her, or vice versa. Currently we have an old iphone running textplus that she uses, but that does not seem all that reliable.

I just did a $35 add a line with telus mobility for our son and popped it into an iphone. Its great as well as we use it to call him in when he is out playing. He's 8.

People balk at a child having an cell already but its no different then the ipad's or tablets i see carrying around for their children. He has shown he is responsible enough to use it/care for it and we reap the benefits of being in instant communication with him at all times.