PDA

View Full Version : So why does one ride, a motorbike that is...

Pages : [1] 2

speedog
06-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Starting this to hopefully keep another thread from going askew.

Some don't seem to understand why people ride motorbikes. Personally I've been there, done that and know why - not my thing anymore but maybe it's a case that I don't want to admit that I might be afraid of getting on one again and rediscovering that I might still enjoy it.

Never the less, I'll let that current riders explain as best as they can the experience. I've gone down twice, got some road rash and that still didn't stop me when I was an active motorcyclist - many couldn't understand me getting back on a bike after coming off twice and it wasn't something I could make a non-motorcyclist understand. You either get it or you don't.

blairtruck
06-05-2015, 08:54 PM
i have never rode any type of motor bike. i can never imagine owing one for the few months it could be used. and would never ride one cause of the other crazy drivers.

Dumbass17
06-05-2015, 10:26 PM
i owned one and loved it.
freedom, adrenaline, danger. all a mix.

i was rearended on deerfoot by another bike (wasn't even riding with him) and I haven't been back on once since. Shook me up pretty bad. I would like another one someday but I really scared my family and friends and drivers in AB = not worth the risk

legendboy
06-05-2015, 11:17 PM
I took a 10 year break from riding sport bikes, switched to dirt biking. Too many injuries from dirt biking and gave that up when I became self employed.
I also witnessed several crashes on sport bikes riding with groups that played into giving it up.

Couple years ago I bought a cruiser to ride with my friends and didn't really like the bike itself. Just bought a VTR1000 and am having a blast with it.

My best bud just bought the same bike and my other bud just bought a busa, so we have a small riding crew together.

For me I love the feeling of intense power, acceleration, power wheelies...etc. but also love going on rides thru the mountains. Scenery, fun and just being in the moment is probably the biggest thing I enjoy.

Riding is about the only time my mind is truly in the moment, that and sex :D

16hypen3sp
06-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Love every aspect of it.

It's just a fun thing to do.

I grew up on a farm and started on dirtbikes. I thought that was fun... then I hopped on a '97 GSX600F and made my decision that road bikes were the way to go. That said, I come from a family of motorcyclists so I was raised with a lean towards bikes.

It's just more exhilarating than cars. However, I should note, I have only ever owned two "sports" cars... an '03 RSX-S and '03 350Z. So, I favour motorcycles more as I have tried a few. For shits and giggles, here's the list as it stands today:

'00 XR80R/'03 CRF230/'04 CRF250R/'97 GSX600F/'03 XB12R/'05 CBR600RR/'07 CBR600RR/'05 VT750/'08 C109RT/'07 CBR125/'14 CBR1000RR/'14 FXDF/'14 FLHXS/'05 VT750C2/'14 VT750C/'11 VT1300CX/'15 FLHXS

codetrap
06-05-2015, 11:28 PM

bigboom
06-06-2015, 08:39 AM
I rode one from the time I was 19-23 and then from 27-31. Each period in my life was about different things, early time period was the thrill of speed and cornering, never really thought about the consequences. The later period was about just getting away...then I had kids and the fear of biting it finally outweighed the benefits.

But the bug to get another one is starting to kick in again...

blairtruck
06-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I commute on mine from April to November.

It's more than a few months. :)

I ride because I love it. Why do guys on here collect shoes? Or Transformers? Why does anyone love anything?
i only love my family. nothing else. i dont collect things and have no friends outside of work.

killramos
06-06-2015, 09:29 AM
I have never known anyone who owned and rode a bike who hasn't seriously hurt themselves at some point. I'm not even talking about people who are pushing the limits or speeding on their bikes. In most cases it was thinks like manouvreig in a parking lot or driving through an intersection at the speed limit that got them.

My uncle was permanently disabled in chronic pain, crippled, unable to work about 27 years ago from a car doing a u turn into him.

I would like to take the top cool course and get my license classes one day. But I'm not sure I would ever buy and ride a bike myself.

But that's just my opinion and experience.

Does anyone know real statistics are in how many motorcyclists end up seriously injured in their lives compared to motorists (car drivers ) ?

blairtruck
06-06-2015, 09:57 AM
i always here from dudes i know that ride a bike.
"Its not if you go down its when you go down. "
No thanks

MintRacer
06-06-2015, 10:24 AM
"knock on wood"

my first bike R1, had it for 11 years, never crashed it. Came close a few times from in experience but un scathed.

Still have the bike today.

speedog
06-06-2015, 10:58 AM
It would appear some people have fears with respect to riding a motorbike and rightfully so. They do only have two quite small patches of rubber contacting the ground as compared to any regular 4 wheeled vehicle. The rider does have very limited protection in the case of any sort of accident compared to any motorist in a car/truck. Many riders do not understand the very real and different dynamics of controlling a motorcycle and even if they do, often will still commit grievous errors when faced with an emergency avoidance situation - steering away from something they're trying to avoid as opposed to steering towards it. Yeah, this is something you do on a motorbike that is at speed - push steering is the term and it can indeed get you out of dangerous situation if it becomes second nature - problem is most riders may know what it is but will revert to their car/truck driving ways and try to steer away from something to avoid it which on a motorbike will just place you in a more dangerous situation.

I been off twice, both not of my own fault - minor road rash and I still kept riding. Inexperience is often the biggest factor for many riders and is what gets them in trouble. Their inability to properly handle their motorbike, understand how to actually ride it, to understand and respect the power that it has; to really, really (I stress really) understand that they always need to be on the defensive - it doesn't matter if you're in the right as a rider, you will always come out on the losing end in a collision with another vehicle. The guy in the other thread who smacked the car turning left in front of them - was the situation avoidable, maybe yes, maybe no. Whomever was a fault in that situation, the rider still came out with the short end of the stick.

But regardless of all of the above, riding a motorbike is a totally different experience than driving any 3 or 4 wheeled conveyance. You are so much more in tune with the whole motoring experience, every nuance of the road and the environment around you is much more intoxicating then anything I've experienced in any car. Highway 6 from Nakusp to Vernon is about as good as it gets for a motorcyclist - I've done it both in a variety of cars and motorbikes and and I truly believe that there is not one car that will ever match the experience I had doing that 194km trip on a motorbike. The Coal Trail from High River to Longview many decades ago when it was newly paved and please note that I am not opne to condone excessive speeding, but I had my 1985 FZ750N up to 245kph on that stretch (was still pulling) - such an exhilarating experience and when I slowed down to 160kph it felt like I was going so slow that I could step off of my motorbike, never have I experienced the same in any car because you are enveloped in a cocoon of sorts and quite insulated from what's really going on while you're driving down a road.

That said, riding a motorbike is not for everyone and the motorbikes of these days are vastly way more powerful from those of my youth - hell, my 1985 FZ750N was a machine that had way more power than any human being needs in a vehicle. I could ride so deep into corners on the Banff-Lake Louise parkway that I could grind hard parts and that was two up with my wife to be on the back, intoxicating a motorbike is but always to be respected at the same time. It is an experience I am very glad I had - sort of like hang gliding, have done that as well, don't any more but so mind blowing it was.

ercchry
06-06-2015, 10:59 AM
I've gone down, once my shoulder healed up i was right back at it, for me it ticks a ton of boxes.

Been a gearhead from day one, started with cars, love working on them, modding them, getting an adrenaline rush from them... then one day someone offered me a trade that just made financial sense for a gsx-r750, was end of season so didn't want to sell it till the spring, and i had some buddies that rode. Cut my teeth on that beast, was really not my cup of tea... but there was something i liked about riding. So in the spring i got myself a little old honda cb as a project bike. Made a whole lot more sense than a project car. Takes up less space, easier to work on, cheaper parts, etc, etc. Also learned a lot about old technology and working on carbs.

From there my passion grew, i like driving cars faster than bikes... but there is just a thrill to it all, a freedom. The same feeling you get doing any extreme sport really (which i do a lot of). Then there is the hobby aspect, the gearhead side... also its just a great way to spend a day with your friends, go exploring, take the long way home. Travelling is fun too, adds a whole new aspect to a trip. Sight seeing actually becomes enjoyable! Nothing like hopping on a strange new bike in a strange new country with your girl on the back and just taking off for the day, finding hidden beaches and fun backroads.

Will i give it up one day? Hard to tell, if i do i doubt it will be because of someone else's actions. I could see myself changing up the style of bike... spending the later years on an adventure bike, exploring our less traveled roads and camping... but i think in one way or another i'll always have something with two wheels in the garage even if its just to tinker with.

ercchry
06-06-2015, 11:05 AM
In regards to the whole power thing... my current bike and the MOST fun bike i've been on is my little ktm duke 390,140kg dry and 44hp with exceptional handling, most fun you can have under 150km/h! ...no really, with my fat ass on it its barely pushes 150 :rofl:

Sugarphreak
06-06-2015, 11:09 AM

eglove
06-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I'd probably love riding a bike... and someone else would probably kill me on it too

this. haha

Graham_A_M
06-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Yeah having an Enduro is pretty cool. I have an 82 Honda XL500 that's been in my family since new, Damn near mint condition. Still decently fast, but I don't go faster then 130-135 on it on the highway. That's fast enough. It's a lot of fun riding it out to back country roads then just bombing around it on. It's pretty Damn cool actually, but takes a lot of getting used to as I grew up mainly on sport bikes, so the brakes on the Honda are Fricking scary (dual drums front and back).

I dont know, one of my favorite rides out near calgary is taking highway 40 between Longview and the Delta lodge in kananaskis. Wow it feels just amazing on a bike, the scents of everything you can smell as the air rushes past your face. The cool breeze fresh off the mountains, you feel so a part of it all, not just observing it as you do in a car, seeing it from a glass bubble almost. The connection is just surreal. That's one of the countless things I've always immensity enjoyed about riding.

Jeez, been riding for 26 years now since I was 6 years old.... it's just a huge part of me. If a girlfriend ever told me to sell my bikes since she didn't like me riding, or was uncomfortable with it, her ass would be tumbling out the door with her stuff in tow in a real hurry. It's just who I am, and always has been and will be. An enormous part of my life and enjoyment. Probably one of the cheapest, guilt free, harmless, enjoyable past time I can think of really. Feeling alive and exploring the world in the seat of a bike has always been quite a cheap and easy vacation to me, which is why I broke down and bought a cruiser finally.

carson blocks
06-06-2015, 11:32 AM
I love bikes. It's not something easily explained, but once people try it, they usually get it. Yeah, it's dangerous, but +90% of the incidents are due to untrained and unskilled riders and/or riding like an asshole. The average rider seems to duckwalk their bike around, drag their feet from lights, have no idea about control, no understanding of countersteering, weight balance, braking, body position etc. They white knuckle their bike through any stuff that actually requires skill, then pin the throttle in the straights. When something goes wrong, it's invariably the car's fault, despite the fact that the rider is going 60k over the limit and simply wasn't there when (ok, if) the car checked.

If it's something you enjoy, learn how to do it well and how to interact with traffic, and it takes the greater portion of the risk away. Shit can still happen, but life's too short not to do stuff you enjoy. Don't let stories of a wife's co-workers cousins friend getting killed dissuade you from an enjoyable hobby. Get trained, get good gear, seek constant improvement, use your brain and don't ride like an asshole and you'll be fine. Miss one of those things and you're gonna be the story that makes some poor whipped fuckers wife not let them get a bike.

Graham_A_M
06-06-2015, 11:37 AM
^ agreed on all counts. That's why I have yet to go down. Just be alert and fully aware of every situation at hand.

Yet a very small handful of riders go down each year, a couple of them killed and everybody just loses their Shit over it... always followed by comments like "fuck I value my life WAY too much, frankly I'd rather not die on a bike". It's like.... wow really? There is what, I don't know how many thousands of motorcyclists in Calgary, but one or two deaths isn't really of any sway to me. And yes, what I've always said.... it's 90% the riders fault. Most of us have all encountered the EXACT same situations as some of the statistics have, to which they couldn't properly handle and died as a result of.

Some friends tell me "they want to get a bike". With a lot of them I almost beg them not to. Since they don't know wtf their doing, and will likely be statistics themselves.

speedog
06-06-2015, 12:03 PM
My two downs - a taxi making an unsignalled right hand turn across my lane from the lane to the left of me. More experience may have kept me safe but very difficult to avoid a vehicle that doesn't do a shoulder check and all of a sudden in directly across your path - minor road rash, minor damage to bike. Second time, was rear ended by my brother (also on a bike) on an interstate in Wyoming - both of us went down with minor road rash, both rode away from scene. Problem was me stopping too quickly to aid another broken down motorcyclist and my brother being inexperienced and also not paying attention - stopping quickly was just something I was used to from regularly driving in Calgary and something he wasn't used to because he lived and drove in the country. I will readily admit that in both incidents there was possibly more I could've done to prevent the situations - be more attentive to the taxi cager and also more attentive to my surroundings when slowing down.

As far has emergency avoidance techniques, it's something I always practised when ever I had a chance - braking and the dynamics of front versus rear brake usage. My brother-in-law (smug SOB) learned first hand which brakes to use when going into a corner too hard - went into a corner way too hard on Old Banff Coach Road and hammered on his front brakes - boy, did he discover how big his eyes could get when using the front brakes alone as his bike quickly stood up and took him directly into the ditch he was drifting towards and hoping to avoid. Luckily he rode it out and was safe but he did learn a very valuable lesson in a very short amount of time about some very specific motorbike dynamics.

SOAB
06-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Riding a motorcycle was something I'd always wanted to do when I was younger so once I was able to afford one, I bought myself a 99 Katana 600. Took a riding course, got my license and started riding it everywhere. The feeling of being open to the world, the wind and air was exhilarating! I rode that bike for 2 years and traded up to a 2002 GSXR 750.

Yes, it is more dangerous than driving a car, but as I gained more experience, I was able to better predict what drivers were going to do, use better lane positioning to keep myself out of trouble, counter-steer out of trouble while on the front brake, etc. although wildlife always seemed to be out to get me. haha.

one of my fondest memories of riding was a nice Autumn day riding on highway 40. Temps were perfect, blue sky, leaves turning colour and falling off the trees. It was picture perfect. Like a commercial.

Riding the track at Race City and Stratotech up in Edmonton taught me that riding on the street was dangerous as fuck and it definitely toned down my speeds on the street.

eventually, my first child was born and I made the choice to get rid of it. not because of pressure from my wife but from not having the time to ride anymore. too many family commitments on weekends...

eventually, I will get another when my kids have grown and they don't want to hang out with dad anymore.

I also lost a friend to this sport a few years ago and he was also a member here. I know exactly how it feels to lose someone to motorcycles but I would still choose to swing my leg over a bike over never having experienced riding a bike.

D'z Nutz
06-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Some friends tell me "they want to get a bike". With a lot of them I almost beg them not to. Since they don't know wtf their doing, and will likely be statistics themselves.

Serious question, but what's your definition of "don't know wtf they're doing"?

I'm about to book the motorcycle training course since I want to try it out. I'm not 100% sold that riding is for me, but I'm not completely dismissing it either; that's one of the big reasons for me taking the course. I know if I get a bike, I'm definitely not one of those clowns that ride excessively over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and doing stupid showboat stunts that give most riders a bad name.

Rocket1k78
06-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Not sure if Graham means the same but when i started riding i had buddies that i pretty much begged not to ride because they thought they were invincible. One guy wrote off 2 cars in 2 years doing stupid shit and i was so worried i actually talked to his parents about him not riding. He got one anyways and wrote it off the same year, luckily he walked away from it and hasnt been back since. You have to know to respect the bike or else you will end up a statistic and some people just dont have that mind set yet.

As others have said, for the guys that love this sport theres no other feeling like it. I get shit all the time from family and friends but theyre all non riders who have no idea what its like. Riding around in the city can be scary and does require you to be really careful but its still worth it.

Rocket1k78
06-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I know if I get a bike, I'm definitely not one of those clowns that ride excessively over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and doing stupid showboat stunts that give most riders a bad name.

You know how i know you've never rode before :rofl: :rofl:

Every rider says that lol

Ekliptix
06-06-2015, 01:41 PM
I have never ridden a street bike but I took a riding course last year to help me decide if it's the right decision for me. I had so much fun on the course, even maneuvering the bike in the parking lot. I decided to not get a bike based on the city I was living in (Houston) where some of the worst car drivers exist.

Last year I rode 1,800km through the Baja desert on a Honda 450F dirt bike. That trip gave me some confidence in my ability to road bike, minus the other drivers I'd have to watch for.

Now that I'm going back to Calgary, I plan to get a KTM Duke 390 or 690 for around downtown and driving to Shuswap every now and then. Although black clothes look badass, I plan to get the most bright ass protective gear possible to be seen. I'll take another bike course first.

As to the why ride a bike, from my snowmobiling and dirt bike experience, the freedom and rider involvement in the bike's movement are the reasons I want to get into it. The only think slowing me from moving ahead will be the love for my family and the risks involved from other drivers.

killramos
06-06-2015, 01:41 PM
I don't want to post it all not start a pissing context but here is a good list of bike vs car death statistics from a legit source.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/motorcycles/fatalityfacts/motorcycles

One of the most interesting sections I read is the deaths versus age. Riders 50+ were more likely than any other group. So much for kids being kids or experienc making things safer. .the other one is % of single vehicle accidents ( ie it wasn't someone else who ran you off the road)

Bikes are super dangerous. And the number of bike deaths per year is not a small number. You are 26 times more likely to die on a bike per mile ridden than a car. That doesn't take into account serious injuries.

Do it if you want but don't kid yourselves on the risks.

Wasn't even a year ago that I peeled my kid brother off the pavement of a parking lot that put him out of work for 2 months. That was just a slipped clutch.

Im not trying to convince anyone to or not to do it by at least have your facts straight.

JRSC00LUDE
06-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I've never been that. :dunno:

lee88
06-06-2015, 02:32 PM
I remember playing the game Hang-on for Sega back in the day and I was hooked on motorcycles since then. I bought my first bike in 1996, a 1988 Suzuki gsxr750 Slingshot which I miss dearly still. Bought many many sportbikes through out the years but now i ride a Harley. The passion for riding will never go away:)

Graham_A_M
06-06-2015, 02:56 PM
[B]

Serious question, but what's your definition of "don't know wtf they're doing"?

I'm about to book the motorcycle training course since I want to try it out. I'm not 100% sold that riding is for me, but I'm not completely dismissing it either; that's one of the big reasons for me taking the course. I know if I get a bike, I'm definitely not one of those clowns that ride excessively over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and doing stupid showboat stuff
First off, good on you for taking the course. They teach a lot of valuable skills that can really benefit most riders. If I was back in Calgary, I'd say to hop on my cruiser and take it for a rip. Otherwise I'd walk you through a good handful of safe riding tips.

One of the biggest that I've taught to both car drivers and motorcycle riders alike would be a principle called MELT. That stands for
Minimal Eye Lead Time.
So basically, always be focusing on what's happening st least 5 seconds down the road in front of you. 5 is the minimum really, more like 10-15 seconds. That way you can always plan well ahead to gradually brake if need be, move over if a lane is closed (etc etc). It's very surprising how few people do this. VERY few people do this. So you see a lot of panic stops and close encounters which can be disastrous for a new rider.
Same with being in the proper lane position when going through intersections. (Be in the far right part so people trying to go left on a solid green can see you much more easily , as well as AL WAYS cover the brakes in the event you have to jam them on), also do the speed limit through intersections. It's hard for other drivers to properly time a turn when someone is going 30+ over the speed limit, potentially case in what happened here.

Also another huge mistake I see a lot of riders and people do is not check their mirrors nearly enough. I quickly scan mine every 5 seconds in the city to make sure I'm always fully aware of what's happening around me. That can really save you from a potential accident if some idiot is weaving in and out of traffic or speeding recklessly.

Another tip that I'd like to see a lot more of would believe it or not: be some track time. A lot of people have no idea just what their bikes are really capable of, and that fear along with inexperience can lead to a lot of panic situations that often lead to crashes. Doing multiple track days on my old Triumph sport bike, I was very familiar with where the limits of both the tires, brakes and handling of the bike were. Also once you learn that, accident avoidance and everything else comes a lot more naturally.

D'z Nutz
06-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Good for other riders? :dunno:

Thanks for that detailed post Graham.

Graham_A_M
06-06-2015, 04:24 PM
^ sorry I'd go on and on, thats probably the best tips I can give right now, but lately all my posting has been done on my phone, so I can't really write out these long as posts as it takes me a good while.

theken
06-06-2015, 07:31 PM
It's a feeling riding, nothing else. My bikes slow compared to my previous and I enjoy that way more.

D. Dub
06-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Because zoom.

baygirl
06-07-2015, 05:30 PM
I just saw this posted on Reddit, and made me think of this thread. Ride safe everyone.
rPtvt5EiUNY

blairtruck
06-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
[B]I just saw this posted on Reddit, and made me think of this thread. Ride safe everyone.
vid gone

baygirl
06-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck
vid gone
Driver with her learners was to far in the intersection when the light changed. Reversed from the middle of the intersection, changing from left lane to right. Hit the motorcycle, guy jumps off and lays the bike down, she runs right over the bike.

My_name_is_Rob
06-07-2015, 09:06 PM
I started riding motorbikes over here, because they were fast, fun, and somewhat liberating (R6). And then on one of my most recent trips to Switzerland, I spent the summer cruising around the Alps on a dual sport type bike (Transalp). Despite being a whole lot slower than my sport bike over here, the roads over there are just so much fun to drive on. That completely ruined my motivation to ride over here, so unless I move closer to a track, or to BC, I doubt I'll do much riding anymore.

Oh yea, and shitty drivers that honestly have no clue how to drive over here don't make it anymore fun. :banghead:

xnvy
06-07-2015, 11:46 PM
Here is a gfycat mirror of the vid.

Link (http://gfycat.com/NeighboringBraveBullfrog)

codetrap
06-08-2015, 12:05 AM

Shlade
06-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by theken
It's a feeling riding, nothing else. My bikes slow compared to my previous and I enjoy that way more.

Agreed. I bought my 04 Monster 620 to boot around when the weather is nicer. I always get an itch to ride in the summer. Compared to my other bikes (R6,CBR600RR,GSXR600) this is by far the easiest and funnest bike to ride aside from my old SFV650 gladius which I miss very much.

Also will be my project for the next few years to come. Just say a silent prayer Everytime you get on the bike and be on your way. Ride safe, ride smart, have 10 eyes scanning everywhere and you'll be ok. It's usually the other drivers here in the city that you have to watch out for. That and some terribly bad roads

killramos
06-08-2015, 07:14 AM
What do people on here think of the concept of owning a bike mostly for commuting? Versus just owning it for pleasure.

One of the things i have thought about with getting my license is picking up a ninja 250 or a CBR 300 for the 5-10 minute boot from my house to the office in the summers. They cost basically nothing, no high speed on the route ( 50 kph the whole way) so a bigger bike would mean almost nothing and increases the safety ( crash probably wouldn't lead to a smear formerly known as killramos )

My commute is straight down and up center street everyday as a reference. I start at 6:15-6:30 so really no traffic at least on the way in.

Bike parking is stupid cheap if not free in my area ( bike locker? lol). Also saves me from racking up the 10-20 km a day on my much more expensive and depreciating car.

I have heard alot of arguments for not riding to commute as commuting you are cursed to get sloppy and lazy and not pay as good of attention as you should versus pleasure riding occasionally and making sure you are always 100% on it when you ride.

The other problem is proper riding gear doesn't mix well with dress clothes for a business environment.

Anyways, thoughts?

bjstare
06-08-2015, 07:28 AM
I've commuted on a bike. On your commute, it would be great for sure. The thing you want to avoid is being stuck in stop and go as much as possible. On a 25deg day, with riding gear and clothes on under that, plus a bike that's literally cooking you from between your legs, it's less than pleasant.

Riding gear and dress clothes actually aren't bad, depending on how nice your clothes are (i.e. 100% wool pants/suits that won't wrinkle as easily are definitely preferable as opposed to some type of shitty poly blend pants/suits).

The biggest thing on this one if you decide to commute is not lack of paying attention (it's easy to pay attention while riding, nothing to distract you), but committing to gearing up every time you go. Putting on gear for short rides is the worst, but you need it when you crash just as much as when you're on a long ride haha. And especially riding through Chinatown and all the way up centre to 16th, don't even get me started on that.

TLDR: Go for it, make sure and always wear your gear.

Just my 2c

Dave P
06-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Sums it up for me. Great Movie

I5nglGD8AVI

firebane
06-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by killramos
What do people on here think of the concept of owning a bike mostly for commuting? Versus just owning it for pleasure.

One of the things i have thought about with getting my license is picking up a ninja 250 or a CBR 300 for the 5-10 minute boot from my house to the office in the summers. They cost basically nothing, no high speed on the route ( 50 kph the whole way) so a bigger bike would mean almost nothing and increases the safety ( crash probably wouldn't lead to a smear formerly known as killramos )

My commute is straight down and up center street everyday as a reference. I start at 6:15-6:30 so really no traffic at least on the way in.

Bike parking is stupid cheap if not free in my area ( bike locker? lol). Also saves me from racking up the 10-20 km a day on my much more expensive and depreciating car.

I have heard alot of arguments for not riding to commute as commuting you are cursed to get sloppy and lazy and not pay as good of attention as you should versus pleasure riding occasionally and making sure you are always 100% on it when you ride.

The other problem is proper riding gear doesn't mix well with dress clothes for a business environment.

Anyways, thoughts?

I applaud you. To many people just get on the whole I need a big bike to rip around on attitude.

Smaller bikes with a lower CC in a place where there isn't much space to really enjoy the speed are the best. They are nimble and accelerate just fine and you'll still have a big grin when your riding.

Don't under estimate the power behind a 250cc bike as they are more than capable of doing just about anything to cause trouble.

taemo
06-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
Here is a gfycat mirror of the vid.

Link (http://gfycat.com/NeighboringBraveBullfrog)

Alberta plate in the red SUV? :facepalm:

I don't ride a bike yet but it's on my bucket list and hoping to get a bike and learner next year, was hoping this year but had other priorities that needed to be taken care of first.
Closest I've been into was scooters when I was a kid or passenger on 125cc bikes.
Only reason I want to get one is so that I can get to the mountains by myself for cheap :rofl:
so most likely riding on open roads and not in the city.

Looking to get a roadster and not a rice rocket.

Graham_A_M
06-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Kilramos: I used to ride in a suit on my bikes for a short while when back in my teens. No biggie there. The biggest issue I had, was my commute was a LOT longer so I typically had bugs that covering me since I was on deer foot and bordering fish creek for a good while, but you shouldn't have that problem in the least. Yeah a Ninja 300 would be a wicked bike for you. EFI, enough power, very nimble, great brakes, nothing at all to insure, light enough to easily man handle for parking. I'd recommend that very much over the CBR equivalent though, the ninja is a twin 300, the CBR is a single 250.

I agree as what others said, fuck sakes I hate wearing my bike jacket when it gets past 27 degrees though, you just cook with the rad fan blowing scorching air on you. But I can deal with that a lot more so then I can road rash in the event I ever do go down though. So screw it, riding gear it is. For very short trips I don't bother....

ercchry
06-08-2015, 08:33 AM
I'd pick a standard/nake bike for commuting over a full fairing bike... much more comfortable... an old 500cc or smaller bike, or something like a cb300f, or the duke 390

As for gear and commuting, i wear a full face helmet, textile jacket (removable liner, lots of vents and no issue in this current weather), and gloves... then just jeans and regular shoes... but i can get away with jeans at the office

D'z Nutz
06-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by taemo
I don't ride a bike yet but it's on my bucket list and hoping to get a bike and learner next year, was hoping this year but had other priorities that needed to be taken care of first.
Closest I've been into was scooters when I was a kid or passenger on 125cc bikes.
Only reason I want to get one is so that I can get to the mountains by myself for cheap :rofl:

Why, what do you have coming in the mail now? ;) :rofl:

You can worry about the bike next year, but come take the course with me!

shakalaka
06-08-2015, 08:45 AM
I had an accident on my GSXR 1000 last summer. While I avoided substantial injuries my right arm and leg suffered road rash equivalent to 1st degree burns. I still have those scars/discolouration/keloid's a year down the line. Every time I look at them it doesn't make me feel anything. At the time when it happened and I was in bed for 3-4 weeks, it sucked and I was scared to get on the bike after that. Only rode it once or twice after out of necessity before selling it. I was wear one of those guard jackets for the summer.

Almost a year down the line and I am starting to see bikes on the road again and it's making me miss not having one. I won't get any this year cause of the fiancee and family freak out I had to deal with last year but I am thinking next year I will get one. Most likely not a crotch rocket anymore but a cruiser. Doesn't really mean I am not scare but I don't know what it is, perhaps just the adrenaline that makes me want to get on one again. That being said, I do know that a crotch rocket is much more dangerous than a cruiser so I am thinking perhaps getting into the latter will assist in overcoming what hesitation I have after the accident and provide some fun at the same time. One thing, I will change is that I will wear full gear, top to bottom no matter how bloody hot it is outside.

JRSC00LUDE
06-08-2015, 08:57 AM
I don't gear up nearly as often as I should. I have excellent jackets but don't even have pants.....I like tooling around town in a tshirt on a hot day but that's typically 40km/hr Sunday cruising. We're the bobber/chopper/cruiser crowd, not the crotch rockets. Mind you, it sometimes turns into an hour highway rip to somewhere for lunch or wings or whatever. That's the fun for me, just low key, low speed cruising around aimlessly with buddies. Great way to spend some time.

taemo
06-08-2015, 09:24 AM

Why, what do you have coming in the mail now? ;) :rofl:

You can worry about the bike next year, but come take the course with me!

nothing camera wise, just finishing the backyard this summer :(
plus I have the Rolleiflex in Vancouver for repair right now and waiting for a Jupiter-8 50mm to arrive :rofl:

pm regarding the course though

speedog
06-08-2015, 09:30 AM
A crotch rocket is more dangerous than a cruiser, what a farce. I've had both and I felt way safer and in control on my crotch rocket then my cruiser any day in any situation, just my personal experience.

carson blocks
06-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I do know that a crotch rocket is much more dangerous than a cruiser

I've had sportbikes and cruisers, and while I don't like the riding position of a sportbike, saying they're more dangerous is ridiculous. They have better weight balance, transfer weight more easily, and have better braking and more cornering clearance. They typically have more power, but you can get smaller ones, or choose not to crack the throttle wide open. As much as I'm not a sportbike lover, I can make a strong argument that they're actually safer.

01RedDX
06-08-2015, 10:07 AM

civic_stylez
06-08-2015, 10:08 AM
I ride for the pure enjoyment of it. I love the technical aspect of bikes and the relaxation of it. Ive watched countless hours of MotoGP in my life and the sport has captivated me more than most. Riding is great for clearing the head after a long/stressful day. Being in a car provides so many luxuries and I just love the feel of you, the bike and the road. More of a raw feeling to it. My next bike will be more of a touring/adventure bike to get out of the city on weekends.

Every rider has a few good "I almost died" stories and riding on Calgary roads with our drivers is a bit of a death with but riding is still my favorite things to do and you just learn to be super attentive and hope for the best!:D

killramos
06-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Kilramos: I used to ride in a suit on my bikes for a short while when back in my teens. No biggie there. The biggest issue I had, was my commute was a LOT longer so I typically had bugs that covering me since I was on deer foot and bordering fish creek for a good while, but you shouldn't have that problem in the least. Yeah a Ninja 300 would be a wicked bike for you. EFI, enough power, very nimble, great brakes, nothing at all to insure, light enough to easily man handle for parking. I'd recommend that very much over the CBR equivalent though, the ninja is a twin 300, the CBR is a single 250.

I agree as what others said, fuck sakes I hate wearing my bike jacket when it gets past 27 degrees though, you just cook with the rad fan blowing scorching air on you. But I can deal with that a lot more so then I can road rash in the event I ever do go down though. So screw it, riding gear it is. For very short trips I don't bother....

Originally posted by ercchry
I'd pick a standard/nake bike for commuting over a full fairing bike... much more comfortable... an old 500cc or smaller bike, or something like a cb300f, or the duke 390

As for gear and commuting, i wear a full face helmet, textile jacket (removable liner, lots of vents and no issue in this current weather), and gloves... then just jeans and regular shoes... but i can get away with jeans at the office

Full gear or bust for me. No questions, i don't care if its annoying. Because bike gear looks cool :D

Good to know about the CBR's, i recently ready the the 300r that just came out is a real step forward but I know 0 about bikes so i was just going by that. I have always liked the ninja 250, look great in person sound great, and the price is definitely right.

I will defs be going used for the first bike i get anyways, hell i have no idea if i will even like it so picking up a ninja 250 that's barely been ridden for 2500 bucks and selling it the next season for the same price to upgrade to a new bike should i choose to just makes sense.

I have no interest in riding anything but a sport bike tbh. That's purely personal and for dumb visual / coolness reasons but to me its like driving a M3 over a Caravan. :dunno:

Disoblige
06-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Riding a bike in general can be very rewarding and the cool factor added in is a nice bonus. Also, I'm sure if riding a motorcycle was super easy and everyone could do it, it would definitely make it less cool.

Think of the stigma of a Can-Am Spyder, or an automatic sports car. A motorcycle doesn't have that stigma.

ercchry
06-08-2015, 10:20 AM

I have no interest in riding anything but a sport bike tbh. That's purely personal and for dumb visual / coolness reasons but to me its like driving a M3 over a Caravan. :dunno:

says every new rider ever :rofl:

...till they do it, then get a chance to ride something more upright... thats perhaps the same damn engine, brakes, and suspension as the "sport bike" counterpart and realize... "oh, my knees, wrists, and back feel great after 2 hrs on this... unlike the 40min to an hour i ride my bike for"

firebane
06-08-2015, 10:43 AM
LOL it may only be a 50cc scooter but my girlfriend absolutely loves getting out on that thing any chance she can.

You ride once and either hate it or absolutely want more!

killramos
06-08-2015, 10:44 AM

...till they do it, then get a chance to ride something more upright... thats perhaps the same damn engine, brakes, and suspension as the "sport bike" counterpart and realize... "oh, my knees, wrists, and back feel great after 2 hrs on this... unlike the 40min to an hour i ride my bike for"

And if a caravan made 450 HP and was as light as an M3 i still wouldn't drive one. No matter how many people i could fit in it or how good my back felt after a road trip. And i have driven both :rofl:

ercchry
06-08-2015, 10:47 AM

And i have driven both :rofl:

you've driven a light weight 450hp caravan?! why?! how?! :rofl:

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I love riding. There's nothing more freeing in my mind. I own 2 bikes right now, a CBR600RR, and a Honda Grom 125. I love both, and commute on both.

There's just something about riding, and I didn't understand until I rode on a bike.

pheoxs
06-08-2015, 11:27 AM

Full gear or bust for me. No questions, i don't care if its annoying. Because bike gear looks cool :D

Good to know about the CBR's, i recently ready the the 300r that just came out is a real step forward but I know 0 about bikes so i was just going by that. I have always liked the ninja 250, look great in person sound great, and the price is definitely right.

I will defs be going used for the first bike i get anyways, hell i have no idea if i will even like it so picking up a ninja 250 that's barely been ridden for 2500 bucks and selling it the next season for the same price to upgrade to a new bike should i choose to just makes sense.

I wondered how the 250/300's would be on the highway. Is cruising on deerfoot do-able? They had the CBR125's for the moto school when I did mine and they were fine in the parking lot but gutless as shit on the road. Wondering if the 250/300 is sufficient?

I went straight to a 600 then to a litre bike so its hard to gauge

firebane
06-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs

I wondered how the 250/300's would be on the highway. Is cruising on deerfoot do-able? They had the CBR125's for the moto school when I did mine and they were fine in the parking lot but gutless as shit on the road. Wondering if the 250/300 is sufficient?

I went straight to a 600 then to a litre bike so its hard to gauge

New 250/300 bikes would have no issues on deerfoot.

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-08-2015, 11:47 AM
250 can do ~150kph, 300 can do ~165kph.
They can easily handle deerfoot.

ercchry
06-08-2015, 11:49 AM
depends how light you are... for me (210lbs) i need around 50hp to be comfortable on the highway... and something stable with the crosswinds we get

speedog
06-08-2015, 12:07 PM

Odd, I started on a cruiser and went to a sport bike and could put way longer days in on my sport bike and get off of it feeling in much better condition.

Graham_A_M
06-08-2015, 12:09 PM
^ really? That's fucked. I had 42k kms on my trumpet, yet the farthest I've ever been on it was lake Louis, just because of how horrid the riding position was on it. Fuck I hated it for long trips. The day I got my Kawi cruiser, I put 800 kms on it and I felt perfectly fine.... ready to do it all over again if I wanted to. THAT was a very welcomed change.

Yeah that's why my next bike is going to be a kawasaki Z1000. I hopelessly miss the performance of a sport bike, but want something a helluva lot more comfortable as the whole riding position thing is what made me sell my old Trumpet Daytona 675. At least with the Z1000, it's just a naked bored out Zx900R with a much more upright riding position, so best of both worlds really. And it'd a Fricking hooligan machine to boot lol. I'd also agree that cruisers are not safer then sport bikes. The brakes and handling are two things of many that are world's apart between the two. On my sportbike, I could stop preposterously fast. Going from 300 down to 170 for turn 1 at race city took a couple seconds at best. Try that on a cruiser (if it could do 300 that is)and you'll find yourself sliding into the fence at the end of the track boundary. Not only that, most cruisers don't have or can be fitted with tires that are nearly as sticky as what can come with sport bikes. I took a massive step back in terms of accident avoidance and performance going with a cruiser. Yes, the handling on a sportbike is a lot more sensitive to rider input, but there is a reason for that. At the track? Trust me, that's what you want. So yes for a new rider, they may find it a bit overwhelming at first, but once you get used to how figity it is, it's no biggie at all.

Kilramos, if your looking for a Ninja 250 or 300, we can look at bikes whenever. I'll make it back to Calgary and we can check some out. Jeez last year I helped two friends buy sport bikes. There is a lot to watch out for that most people don't know to check. A found a *Shit* ton wrong with a few bikes that apparently "needed nothing" in the ad. So I'll save you the $300 inspection fee. Let me know. But I'd recommend the 300 over the 250 though, the 300's have a lot of improvements over the 250's, abs being a huge plus as an available option on some of them.

ercchry
06-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Odd, I started on a cruiser and went to a sport bike and could put way longer days in on my sport bike and get off of it feeling in much better condition.

probably still back when sport bikes were the equivalent of the current standard bikes... and nothing like today's offerings... but im still not saying dont get a sporty bike... im saying dont get a super sport... unless you are tracking it 80% of the time. like ducati streetfighter 1199 vs the panigale 1199, or like graham's z1000 vs the ninja, or like my duke vs the RC, or even down to the CB300F vs the CBR300

Rocket1k78
06-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I've never intentionally pulled a wheelie or done any other stunts. I like my life and limbs in their currently locations.

Well congrats to you :thumbsup:

I'm not saying 100% of the riders out there ride recklessy but im pretty sure all riders have said "im going to respect the bike" and after awhile have not respected the bike in some way lol

firebane
06-08-2015, 12:43 PM

Well congrats to you :thumbsup:

I'm not saying 100% of the riders out there ride recklessy but im pretty sure all riders have said "im going to respect the bike" and after awhile have not respected the bike in some way lol

When you stop respecting the bike is when you get hurt. :dunno:

killramos
06-08-2015, 12:43 PM

Kilramos, if your looking for a Ninja 250 or 300, we can look at bikes whenever. I'll make it back to Calgary and we can check some out. Jeez last year I helped two friends buy sport bikes. There is a lot to watch out for that most people don't know to check. A found a *Shit* ton wrong with a few bikes that apparently "needed nothing" in the ad. So I'll save you the $300 inspection fee. Let me know. But I'd recommend the 300 over the 250 though, the 300's have a lot of improvements over the 250's, abs being a huge plus as an available option on some of them.

Thanks, i don't even have a license yet tho so I'm in no kind of rush. just one of those things on the list right now. Need to get my GDL off as well so i might try to do both at once to only play the re class fee once haha.

I'm trying to see if a few buddies want to take the too cool course with me this summer some time but at 600 bucks its alot of money for a novelty for most people.

Ill definitely drop a line on here when the time comes to pick up a bike tho!

And Errchy i meant i have driven a caravan and I'm trying to say the "comfort" doesn't make up for it lol.

edit: also to add another topic to this mix what are peoples opinions of ABS on bikes?

I have heard every opinion under the sun from it being super dangerous and more likely to make you crash to i would never ride a bike without it.

Not being a rider i don't know is the ability to lock the front wheel that important? Or are these the same whiners who had problems when ABS came out on cars to? :dunno:

A790
06-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Winding through the gears surrounded by mountains and greenery is the closest I've ever been to anything resembling paradise.

Graham_A_M
06-08-2015, 12:54 PM
^hells yeah man, totally agreed on all counts... I've yet to experience anything automotive related (short of a high end super car I mean) that touches that feeling. Just.... amazing.

Yikes, I didnt think their basic course was that kind of money, I'd call around... there is a place up just east of cross iron mill's that offer much the same course. (Sorry I've driven past it 100 plus times but I've never once checked out their name)I took Too Cool's advanced course when I was 14 (involving track time on their crotch rockets they used to have at the go kart track in the NE when it used to be there) and I found it to be kind of waste of time, fun.. but for fairly basic really ... but to each their own I guess.:dunno:

ercchry
06-08-2015, 12:56 PM

And Errchy i meant i have driven a caravan and I'm trying to say the "comfort" doesn't make up for it lol.

but you still dont get it, its the same bike pretty much... just not killing you if you try to ride all day. and in calgary you really need that cause any decent road is about an hour away. it would be like an m3... vs an m3 with 14k spring rate and a stripped interior and bucket seats... one is good for the city, the other the track.

CLiVE
06-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Good thread and discussion. I had a bike continuously for the past 20 years up until a month ago.

- Never had a major accident, did go down twice on the bike (gravel patch, and icy section). Rode as late as I could into December, etc. usually. Love the feeling of being out on a motorcycle, the speed, the power, the wind, etc. and always will.

As cliche as it sounds, I could no longer justify riding a motorcycle after I had kids so found I started riding less and less. Just the thought of not being able to run through the park with my daughter or being permanently disabled. :dunno: Swore I would always own a bike - but priorities do change.

Mibz
06-08-2015, 02:00 PM
All you guys talking about riding through the mountains and good roads being far away...

The best ride I've ever had was a few weeks ago, just rolling through communities on a Saturday in 25* weather. The smell of cut grass. Sprinklers going. Wind on my arms.

I don't like highway riding. It's boring to me unless I'm going way faster than is sensible. Maybe if I had a cruiser I'd enjoy it more, but as it stands I'd rather be sitting down in a car with the windows down for longer trips. FWIW, I've got a 650R so it's not like I get uncomfortable or anything, just bored.

GreyFox
06-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Been riding for 7 years, almost to the week. Rode to work this morning and saw this thread and starting thinking about what I like about it. A lot of people have touched on the fact that it's hard to describe the feeling, especially trying to describe it to somebody who's never felt it before.

For me, one of the coolest things to experience is the smells. In a car, you just don't get that. Every now and then you drive by a farm or something and you get the smell of shit inside your car. Imagine that, but magnified 10 times. Except you get all the good smells too. Absolutely no better smell than going for a late evening ride in the fall.

To me, it's the small things like that, that really add up to make for a great experience. My dad rode when he was a bit younger, but didn't have a bike when I got mine. He got one a few years back now and even though we only get out for a ride together a few times a year, there's something great about cruising around with the old man on a beautiful afternoon.

It was a perfect morning this morning. Not too hot, not too chilly. NO wind. No clouds. Absolutely perfect. I was thinking about how great of a morning it was the whole ride in, and I'm still thinking about it now. You can guarantee I simply would not have appreciated it that much had I drove my car to work today. That's the best way I can describe it.

bjstare
06-08-2015, 02:09 PM

it would be like an m3... vs an m3 with 14k spring rate and a stripped interior and bucket seats... one is good for the city, the other the track.

This is literally nearly exactly what I was going to say, but I was going to say it about an M5.

The caravan vs M3 comparison is not accurate at all. That basically describes a honda shadow vs cbr1000 haha

I've owned a few supersports now, and if I get back into a bike, it'll more than likely be a monster (or something in that genre).

carson blocks
06-08-2015, 02:40 PM

I'm trying to see if a few buddies want to take the too cool course with me this summer some time but at 600 bucks its alot of money for a novelty for most people.

It's a lot of money, but if it saves you one oops, it's paid for itself. There are many things you can be self taught at, and afford to do poorly while you learn. Motorcycling isn't one of them. No one ever died from being a shitty guitar player, can't say the same for motorcycling.

ercchry
06-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
All you guys talking about riding through the mountains and good roads being far away...

The best ride I've ever had was a few weeks ago, just rolling through communities on a Saturday in 25* weather. The smell of cut grass. Sprinklers going. Wind on my arms.

I don't like highway riding. It's boring to me unless I'm going way faster than is sensible. Maybe if I had a cruiser I'd enjoy it more, but as it stands I'd rather be sitting down in a car with the windows down for longer trips. FWIW, I've got a 650R so it's not like I get uncomfortable or anything, just bored.

highway does suck... but its worth it to get to roads that have corners, i have contemplated tossing the bike in the back of the truck though till i get out to the mountains (probably park at ghost lake)... but there are strategic routes that are tolerable to ride on, so i usually just do that instead. tooooooo damn hot to be stuck at lights this past weekend

Graham_A_M
06-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Kilramos, abs can be a very useful tool for new riders. While I've never locked up either tire unintentionally, it's an excellent safe guard for new riders that may be unsure as to the limits of their tires. For me, instead of abs, I choose to use tires with a phenomenal rider feedback as to exactly what their doing. Such as my go to tires were the Pirelli supercorsa's. I knew exactly what they were doing at all times and could modulate the braking or anything else accordingly. I've used other tires and had next to no feedback as to when they'd slip, it's just.... that they were slipping. To me that scared the piss out of me as I'd typically find that out the hard way when entering a turn at quite a rate of speed (over 120). So for that abs can really help out new riders. If the front slips..... bad things happen. Typically the front will slide out from under you, and you go down in a real hurry. There isn't much one can do if you have to brake very hard in a real hurry, or the front end is already quite loaded up when your cornering exceptionally hard, then having to brake hard over and above that. Abs would be great in that situation, as it'll brake as hard as it can without risking a full lock up. It would enable you to still maintain decent control in that situation. Although don't fool abs into being a form of traction control, it's seriously not. If you go FAR too hot into a turn and finding yourself quickly running out of asphalt on the outside of the turn, asides from leaning in more so (which I won't touch on as I'll be here a LONG while) there isn't too much you can do. It's about playing it safe, and learning your limits.... then in a safe environment, learn to expand it which would likely mean pushing out of you comfort zone bit by bit. That's why I've always advocated doing track days, as you learn so much about you and how to properly ride if you do a few... having a coach there to watch you and make suggestions is a huge part of the whole learning experience as well.
When riding with my two best friends who both just bought sport bikes this last year, I'm always just busting it on my cruiser dragging pegs on the ground around corners, wanting them to push a bit to try to keep up. While they always play it safe and take it easy, I'm just trying to get them to go outside of their comfort zone a bit at a time. When I'm on their bikes, it's funny as I'm Fricking dragging knees around cloverleafs showing them how It's done hahaha.

Mibz & Eric, I feel the same way about highways generally. But like my posts about highway 40, the 1A between Cochrane to Lake Louis, and the "going to the sun" highway down in Montana, holy shit you can quickly learn to love highways at times. But alas, typical highways such as the trans canada are boring as fuck, I hate taking them too for the most part.

killramos
06-08-2015, 03:12 PM
^ sounds like a good tool for what i plan on using the bike for. Would be a good consideration for when i buy a bike new but i doubt many on the used market in the low cc range have the feature?

It is fairly new on the ninjas and CBR's from what I have seen?

Graham_A_M
06-08-2015, 03:18 PM
^ it's fairly new. I know it's a common option on the ninja 300's but a bit unsure if it was at all available on their 250 predecessor. Abs on bikes when their new typically adds anywhere from $700-$1000 to the price tag. Used, it doesn't affect the resale nearly that much. The 300's have been out for a while now so I'm sure you can find a good handful that have it.

With the Hondas, it's available on all their new models from 2013 up, including the 125, which I'd very very highly recommend not getting.

Kobe
06-08-2015, 04:28 PM
I just loved the freedom when I had one, just get on a bike and go for a random trip around the city or to the mountains.

Just nothing else on your mind except riding it was extremely enjoyable, I never really enjoyed big group rides just 2-3 friends and heading where ever we end up was always the best.

With that being said I'd love to buy one again but with so many deaths and me being slightly wiser now a days I don't know if it would be a good idea.

Rocket1k78
06-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
I just loved the freedom when I had one, just get on a bike and go for a random trip around the city or to the mountains.

Just nothing else on your mind except riding it was extremely enjoyable, I never really enjoyed big group rides just 2-3 friends and heading where ever we end up was always the best.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sums it up real nice.

blueToy
06-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Graduated from a trike to a two wheel pedal bike at around 5 or 6. Cousin bought a Yamie 80cc dirt bike and we beat that thing all over where Edgemont currently is. I guess I was around 8 or so. I pretty much just thought of it as a Toy, and it got me hooked. Been riding and chasing that rush and adrenalin ever since, which is going on about 42 years now.
Again, graduated from dirt to roads and for the most part I do most of my riding on blacktop
I still get a thrill every time I hit the starter button and fire it up. As mentioned above, there is a certain feeling of freedom in riding on two wheels. I love the power. I love the smells. YES, I'll admit it, I love that it sets me apart from most other people driving around. That was way more prevalent in my younger, skirt chasing days though, and yes, it worked :clap: .
Now its more just being still able to ride and the feeling of accomplishment once I arrive somewhere ( I'm old. Simple things make me happy ). Way easier to park. Easy to maintain. I guess the best answer is that it makes going from point A to B fun.

Cheers

heavyfuel
06-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Been on the back of a motorbike a few times, absolutely hated the fact that I wasn't in control. Never drove one, can't imagine getting used to shifting gears like that. Plus after over a decade of spending shitloads of money on a stupid truck, modding an STI, and all the countless tinkering and maintenance that goes with it, and how far back it set me in real life (home ownership) like fuck if I ever want a toy that has an engine. Bikes, sleds, quads, no fuckin way. I much prefer to get on a mountain bike and earn it like a man. Real toys don't have engines. "Motor" and "sport" should never be associated with each other if you ask me.

I saw some fuck biker wannabe on a Harley the other day weaving through traffic, not signalling or anything, weaved 6 times and did a left to right lane swoop to exit, and I told my helper, I hope that guy gets smoked, he woulda deserved it 100% the way he was driving.

ercchry
06-10-2015, 08:57 PM
alright! heavy is back! was wondering what the next thing was he would hate on... guess this means the next thing he is going to get will actually be a bike :rofl:

carson blocks
06-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Been on the back of a motorbike a few times, absolutely hated the fact that I wasn't in control.

Saying you don't like motorcycling because you didn't like being on the back of one is equivalent to saying you don't like sex because it hurt your butthole.

heavyfuel
06-11-2015, 12:13 AM
alright! heavy is back! was wondering what the next thing was he would hate on... guess this means the next thing he is going to get will actually be a bike :rofl:

Nope. I have seen the light and I am done with depreciation items.

Originally posted by carson blocks

Saying you don't like motorcycling because you didn't like being on the back of one is equivalent to saying you don't like sex because it hurt your butthole.

Says the guy with "Ram" and "stick" in his ride description, btw did gay porn pay for your Z06? I need a side gig anyways what's it like?

theken
06-11-2015, 12:27 AM
You can buy a cheap used bike for 2 grand and sell it for 2 grand in a few years...I paid $2500 for mine and I will be selling it for $4000 when the time comes

snowcat
06-11-2015, 12:48 AM
Your buddies don't know you farted, unlike in a car they can hear and smell.

JRSC00LUDE
06-11-2015, 01:16 AM
For YouTube views.

Mibz
06-11-2015, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
Your buddies don't know you farted, unlike in a car they can hear and smell. One of the unheard, but most profound, pleasures of riding is letting one rip in free air.

bjstare
06-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Real toys don't have engines.

LOL

Yeah, ok.

Also RE: Your comment about the asshole Harley rider - I hate those douchebags. I always hope they eat shit. If you're going to ride like an idiot, at least do it on a bike that can turn and stop :rofl:

Disoblige
06-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Real toy: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xbYh7UfwL._SY300_.jpg

carson blocks
06-11-2015, 09:49 AM
I was gonna let the rest of your stupidity go, but you really are as stupid as you come across online, aren't you? Ever notice that whatever you're doing at the time (renting, gun hobby, coal rolling, car modding, whatever) is the right way and everyone else is a retard. Then, you do a complete 180 flip and wig out, saying stupid shit like you did in the gun thread, denouncing the whole hobby because you're no longer in to it, or just months after tearing in to landlords every chance you get, you're talking about becoming one, and going from modding trucks/cars to all of a sudden, real men only use bicycles and toys shouldn't have engines. How fucking stupid do you have to be not to see that you can have different views, and that doesn't need to automatically make everything stupid that doesn't perfectly align with your current and rapidly flipping views?

Plus after over a decade of spending shitloads of money on a stupid truck, modding an STI, and all the countless tinkering and maintenance that goes with it, and how far back it set me in real life (home ownership) like fuck if I ever want a toy that has an engine. Bikes, sleds, quads, no fuckin way. I much prefer to get on a mountain bike and earn it like a man.

Reasonable people all over the place manage to play with powered toys while accomplishing goals and without putting their life on hold. Having toys didn't put home ownership on hold for you, being a fucking idiot did.

Real toys don't have engines. "Motor" and "sport" should never be associated with each other if you ask me.

A car forum is an odd place to hang out then. I forgot though, whatever you're doing at the moment is right and everyone else is a fucking idiot. My bad.

I saw some fuck biker wannabe on a Harley the other day weaving through traffic, not signalling or anything, weaved 6 times and did a left to right lane swoop to exit, and I told my helper, I hope that guy gets smoked, he woulda deserved it 100% the way he was driving.

You've fully admitted to driving like a complete fucking twat on the forums before, even causing accidents due to your erratic driving, yet this guy should get smoked and deserves to die. You're such a hypocritical fucking moron, I'm wondering why I'm even wasting the keystrokes as I know you won't get it..

btw did gay porn pay for your Z06?

Go ahead, rip on my cars. It's nothing special (no bicycle or anything), but I like it. And I did what you say is impossible and paid cash for it without 'setting my life back' and all while owning a home (well, 2, but who's counting?) I'm also a landlord, do you still hate those? Bring the hate, dimwit, I feed on it. And to answer your question, no I had to 9-5 it and save my money like a regular working man.

Edit: Fixed mangled quote formatting.

bjstare
06-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
[heavyfuel is an idiot rant]

Dude, the guy has an IQ of like 90, most of it will go right over his head. I mean he made a joke about you doing gay porn FFS, that shit was funny when I was like 12.

JRSC00LUDE
06-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Dude, the guy has an IQ of like 90, most of it will go right over his head. I mean he made a joke about you doing gay porn FFS, that shit was funny when I was like 12.

To be fair, carson made the first gay joke..... :eek: It's been awhile, at least a couple days, since a thread degenerated into a slugfest! :rofl: