PDA

View Full Version : Calgary police arrest two suspects in fatal gas station hit and run

Pages : [1] 2

blueToy
06-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Stolen Ford F-350 , licence ... Alberta plate EUX 378. Brown or maroon in coulour.
Cliff notes: stolen truck . Stole fuel at Centex on 16th ave NW, but then attempting to get away the Centex employee tried to stop truck and in the melee got run over and is seriously injured. truck last seen driving westbound on Crowchild .
Story here :

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/pedestrian-in-life-threatening-condition-after-hit-and-run

If you see this truck, call 911. This peice of trash coward should pay for his being a fawktard. Going out now to do some searching.

spikerS
06-07-2015, 02:45 PM
start in morley

speedog
06-07-2015, 03:19 PM
From the news article...

"It appears the lady got onto the hood of the vehicle and tried to stop it, and she actually fell off. The vehicle then drove over her,”

So for a drive-off, this employee could very well be facing quite an altered life. I would hope that this isn't part of Centex's regular procedures - shitty for that employee but c'mon.

Pacman
06-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by speedog
From the news article...

"It appears the lady got onto the hood of the vehicle and tried to stop it, and she actually fell off. The vehicle then drove over her,”

So for a drive-off, this employee could very well be facing quite an altered life. I would hope that this isn't part of Centex's regular procedures - shitty for that employee but c'mon.

I believe this is the reason they passed a law in BC that you must pay before you fill up gas. Some poor attendant was dragged underneath a car for 7km's for $15 worth of gas that some douchebag stole.

FixedGear
06-07-2015, 03:55 PM
The mid-30-year-old woman climbed onto the truck’s hood, at which point the driver pulled back onto the busy roadway, throwing her onto the road.

massive facepalm on the part of the gas station attendant, climbing onto the hood of a truck during a situation like this is just asking for it. risking your life like that isn't worth a tank of gas.

01RedDX
06-07-2015, 04:06 PM

speedog
06-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Does the owner take it out of their pay or something?
I highly doubt it, more likely it's part of the cost of doing business.

baygirl
06-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Yeah what a dummy, I don't care how much gas they stole, don't chase a person who'd just committed a crime and climb on their hood. WTF

It's in our handbook that we are not to follow thieves out of the store. I wasn't thinking and did it one night (at 3am:nut: ) and got written up for it. Most employers feel very strongly about this.

FixedGear
06-07-2015, 05:30 PM
^ I think that's pretty common, I saw a guy shoplifting at Walmart once, and told a clerk but he said he couldn't do anything about, only theft prevention can confront shoplifters.

OTown
06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
I like how everyone is blaming the attendant but not the waste of skin that is the driver of the truck who not only ran her over with a f350 dually but dragged her along. Yes, she shouldn't have tried to stop the guy by trying to stand in front of the vehicle, but she was trying to do the right thing at the end of the day.

I still cant believe the lack of pay-at-the-pump and pay-before-you-pump. Do people not realize this is the #1 way stolen cars are kept on the road?

Btw... Its a dually F350 crew cab from the sounds of it

speedog
06-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by OTown
I like how everyone is blaming the attendant but not the waste of skin that is the driver of the truck who not only ran her over with a f350 dually but dragged her along. Yes, she shouldn't have tried to stop the guy by trying to stand in front of the vehicle, but she was trying to do the right thing at the end of the day.

I still cant believe the lack of pay-at-the-pump and pay-before-you-pump. Do people not realize this is the #1 way stolen cars are kept on the road?

Btw... Its a dually F350 crew cab from the sounds of it
I don't think for a minute that anyone on here isn't placing blame on the scumbag that was driving the truck, the additional issue is that this lady's decision making process was flawed at the time of the incident and that she is at fault for.

Yes, her intentions were good but I would imagine that Centex's drive-off policy is like any other gas station's policy in that you don't confront the culprit - you instead make a note of as much relevant information you can and then call the police. I just can't imagine that Centex would have a policy in place that would have their employee's placing themselves in a perilous situation such as this lady did - if they do, then shame on them.

Never the less, she is to blame for placing herself in this situation - she could've just as easily let the truck driver get away and be sleeping quite comfortably in her own bed tonight.

OTown
06-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I absolutely agree with that, but there may be more to the story than a simple theft. People are so quick to judge without getting all the info nowadays. The poor lady is now fighting her life because someone quite simply attempted to murder her.

Not defending her exact actions, just saying that she was acting on good will in her mind. Compare that to the criminal who knows exactly what hes doing and you have yet another guy who doesnt give two craps about human life roaming the streets of calgary.

freshprince1
06-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Centrex's policy is not to engage the person if a theft is occurring, but to call police.

The attendant did not ran and jump on the hood, but stood in front of the truck at a red light. The truck then decided to run her over, where she ended up on the hood, then fell off and got run over.

Look at me! I read the article!

Yes, the attendant shouldn't have tried anything...but can you blame them? I guess they just had a strong moral compass and didn't have time to think it through in the heat of the moment.

All blame goes to the unwashed asshole whole stole the truck, stole the gas, and then intentionally ran over the poor gas attendant.

01RedDX
06-08-2015, 09:50 AM

freshprince1
06-08-2015, 09:55 AM
^ They've updated and edited the story since yesterday, but in any case, no one is blaming her, just saying it's stupid to try to confront a fleeing criminal in a truck.

Oh, OK. That makes sense, the details are all in the article...just thought no one had read it.

I understand that, it just really bothers me when people nit-pick someone's actions that was trying to do the right thing...defend her employer's assets and prevent theft. It was no doubt a very heated moment, and I think her instincts just kicked in. It's hard to criticize someone's actions when decisions are being made quickly in a scenario like this one. Except for the thief's actions....those we can criticize because they are based on ill-intent and a series of criminal actions.

I hope the thief gets caught and has enough assets to be sued heavily by the victim. And, that he spends a long time on the receiving end of all sorts of abuse in prison.

01RedDX
06-08-2015, 10:19 AM

blitz
06-08-2015, 10:20 AM

It's not unheard of for this to be the case. The district manager doesn't give me a warm feeling:

A district manager with Centex Petroleum who oversees the 16th Ave. N.W. station said that particular location deals with one or two gas-and-dash drivers per month.

His first name is Shamshu. He refused to give his last name.

The manager said standard protocol is to “phone the cops,” and not to pursue drivers who leave without paying.

FraserB
06-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by blitz

It's not unheard of for this to be the case. The district manager doesn't give me a warm feeling:

Why doesn't he give you a warm feeling? He's under no obligation at all to even comment on the story, let alone give his name.

With all the bullshit social media shaming that goes on for issues real or imagined, I really don't blame him.

I'd also like to see the proof you have that these employers are violating the labor code. I assume you'll be able to provide a pay slip with the deductions and not just some 6th party anecdote. Because from my first hand experience, it doesn't happen.

Tik-Tok
06-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Because from my first hand experience, it doesn't happen.

Since it didn't happen to you, it hasn't happened to anyone? Lol. Well, I'VE never been raped, so it must not exist.

It happens, usually to teenagers who don't know the laws, and at the station manager level. When my wife worked at Turbo as a teenager, she had money deducted by means of shorted hours, so there was no paper trail.

spikerS
06-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Since it didn't happen to you, it hasn't happened to anyone? Lol. Well, I'VE never been raped, so it must not exist.

It happens, usually to teenagers who don't know the laws, and at the station manager level. When my wife worked at Turbo as a teenager, she had money deducted by means of shorted hours, so there was no paper trail.

I can back fraser on this.

I have worked lots on a till and handling cash, debit, credit, and VLT floats, and while there was always the threat of deductions for being short, no one ever was actually deducted, mainly because it is illegal iirc.

Every time I have heard someone claiming it happened, it was never to them, and always a friend of a friend.

FraserB
06-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Maybe at the smaller independents, but at the chains with actual HR, accounting and legal departments, it's not going to happen.

This is probably why the manager didn't want to comment much and have his name out there. People spreading unsubstantiated rumors accusing him of theft and labor violations.

The law and the station's policy is clear. You can't deduct from employees for losses in a situation like this and the company policy is to not engage a thief. Spreading rumors and making allegations is useless.

baygirl
06-08-2015, 12:49 PM

This is probably why the manager didn't want to comment much and have his name out there. People spreading unsubstantiated rumors accusing him of theft and labor violations.

I am willing to bet company policy is all media is to be directed to head office and not even DM is allowed to answer questions.

codetrap
06-08-2015, 12:55 PM

HiTempguy1
06-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Centrex's

I have nothing to ad besides I found this hilarious. Definitely made me read your post in the stereotypical fob accent :rofl:

Tik-Tok
06-08-2015, 01:08 PM
You guys are adorable with your "It's illegal, therefore it doesn't happen" attitude, lol. Happens all the time to people with little to no knowledge of the law (teenagers, FOB's, etc.) by low level scumbag managers, in entry level jobs like restaurants, pubs, and gas stations.

I'm not arguing Centrex dude's right to privacy, or anything, I just think your naivety is cute.

blitz
06-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Because from my first hand experience, it doesn't happen.

When my wife worked at Turbo as a teenager, she had money deducted by means of shorted hours, so there was no paper trail.

Originally posted by spikerS
there was always the threat of deductions for being short, no one ever was actually deducted, mainly because it is illegal iirc.

I'm not saying it did happen, just that it's a possibility. The next 2 posts after yours included an actual case of it happening, and the "threat" of it happening which is just as bad :dunno:

freshprince1
06-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I have nothing to ad besides I found this hilarious. Definitely made me read your post in the stereotypical fob accent :rofl:

Ooops!! Got it mixed up with a client of mine.

I'm not even an FOB, if I was I would be FleshPlince, I guess.

msommers
06-08-2015, 01:50 PM

A buddy of mine worked at a Petro in high school. They tried to take it out of his pay until we phoned the labour board about it. So they just made him quit shortly after by giving him zero hours of work.

01RedDX
06-08-2015, 02:34 PM

BrknFngrs
06-08-2015, 03:03 PM
You guys are adorable with your "It's illegal, therefore it doesn't happen" attitude, lol. Happens all the time to people with little to no knowledge of the law (teenagers, FOB's, etc.) by low level scumbag managers, in entry level jobs like restaurants, pubs, and gas stations.

I'm not arguing Centrex dude's right to privacy, or anything, I just think your naivety is cute.

:werd: Definitely not uncommon in restaurants/bars

J-D
06-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Pics are out

http://www.660news.com/2015/06/08/hit-and-run-vehicle-was-stolen-from-airdrie-used-in-other-gas-and-dashes/

http://www.660news.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/8/2015/06/08/SUSPECT-2.jpg
http://www.660news.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/8/2015/06/08/SUSPECT-1.jpg
http://www.660news.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/8/2015/06/08/SUSPECT3.jpeg

Cos
06-08-2015, 06:36 PM

GTS4tw
06-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by msommers

A buddy of mine worked at a Petro in high school. They tried to take it out of his pay until we phoned the labour board about it. So they just made him quit shortly after by giving him zero hours of work.

This is how the real world works. Anyone saying otherwise is very ignorant to how life is in these menial jobs.

Maxt
06-08-2015, 06:47 PM

Same deal when I worked at a gas station as a teenager. Short register or missing fuel, hours deducted. The owner would spread the deduction among everyone that worked that day, so it would put you in the bad books with the other jockeys if someone got away with. The register was alway short, pretty sure it was the owner himself slipping twenties out

raceman6135
06-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by J-D
Pics are out

Looks like he's wearing an old-timey burglar's mask. I bet he has a sack with a dollar sign $ on the seat beside him.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41t4FSjqR9L.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
06-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by J-D
Pics are out

It's not every day you get run over by Bono.

Clever
06-08-2015, 09:36 PM
The victim is apparently in critical condition and may not survive. Add manslaughter to his charges if she dies. Also, the lady was recently laid off her job and started working at this Centrex 2 weeks ago. This could explain why she did what she did, a new employee who's not too familiar with company policy or feared she could lose her job. Who knows, hopefully she recovers.

Hallowed_point
06-08-2015, 09:54 PM
From my experience, low paying entry level jobs are among the most dangerous. You're generally young and or inexperienced and eager to impress your employer. I'd be curious to hear what if any training her employer gave for such situations. I'm betting that it wasn't mentioned and she panicked doing the first thing that came to mind which was "protecting her job." I really hope the kiddies get caught. In this day and age of social media I give it until Friday before they are revealed.

rage2
06-08-2015, 10:01 PM
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/2FC5B5C8-2D28-4F2C-A231-153EE203D06C_zpswct4bobw.png

WTF? Blame the government? It's not like it's illegal to set pay before pump rules yourself. I guess we do need the government to hold our hands for everything, because clearly everyone is retarded now.

CompletelyNumb
06-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Is it that expensive to upgrade cameras to 1080p? Seems like every security camera footage you see these days is as grainy as they were ten years ago. Dash cams take better stills.

Tik-Tok
06-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by rage2

WTF? Blame the government? It's not like it's illegal to set pay before pump rules yourself. I guess we do need the government to hold our hands for everything, because clearly everyone is retarded now.

Classic misdirection. Will probably work too, with the "Grants Law" precedence.

Hallowed_point
06-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Is it that expensive to upgrade cameras to 1080p? Seems like every security camera footage you see these days is as grainy as they were ten years ago. Dash cams take better stills. it's more the storage space (DVR's) that are the issue. For a lot of places, they don't want the footage to over write too quickly (usually minimum 30 day storage prior to being recorded over unless a segment is saved.) HD takes up a ton of space compared to standard security video. If the cameras are adjusted properly it's normally good enough.

speedog
06-09-2015, 12:00 AM
start in morley
A bit premature, eh.

C_Dave45
06-09-2015, 07:43 AM

^THIS!!

Must be the large demographic of university educated, internet/legal savy group of forum users or something, I dunno.

Happens all the time. Illegal by the Employment Standards but guess what..."don't like straight time OT, don't want your hours docked/reduced from short floats...bye!"

You get a freshly immigrated family, desparate for any job they can find and trying to live off minimum wage..all of a sudden, that $100 gas bill is worth 3 days of their pay or their job.

I can't understand why it's just not law everywhere. Prepay or pay at the pump. Christ unless your Amish or regularly fill up in buttfuck, toyuktuk, who doesn't have a debit card and can't use the pay-at-the pump feature? I'm at the pumps 3 times a week all over the city and provinces and I don't think I've stepped foot inside a gas station in 5 years. When I see a sign that says "prepay only" I kinda laugh and think what moron wastes time NOT using pay-at-the-pump?

I feel so bad for that poor woman. God I hope she makes it.

Cos
06-09-2015, 07:47 AM

C_Dave45
06-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I can only pre-pay if I am filling up my wifes car or my Cobra.

-
First world problems. Lol.

Those limits are being raised all the time. My van is a $140 fill from empty. Petro Can (I think, can't remember now) has a $200 option. Someone else is $130...but yeah those limits would annoy me too. I usually just filled to the $100 and buggered off. Only when I wanted to calculate my mileage would I do two authorizations for a complete fill, and then would just choose the $20 or $30 authorization.

I still won't even bother with the old pay-inside pumps.

Cos
06-09-2015, 08:17 AM

Redlyne_mr2
06-09-2015, 08:18 AM
wow hope they find the thief!

SOAB
06-09-2015, 09:02 AM
for my F150, I've only had to do 2 transactions for pay-at-the-pump once. everywhere seems to have upped the limit to $150 or $200 which is more than enough to fill my truck.

vengie
06-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Another reason why most store owners do not like pay at the pump is they no longer have foot traffic inside the store buying consumables that they make the majority of their money on.

That said, I do pay at the pump, but I can see it from both perspectives.

HiTempguy1
06-09-2015, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I can only pre-pay if I am filling up my wifes car or my Cobra.

- Prepay limits are too low if gas gets high. 130L at anything over $1.00 / L is more than the pre-auth. So you fill up, stop around $120. End transaction, wait for transaction to clear, put in card, IF it doesn't error out because it just pre-auth'd $130 then you start again. Now you have $260 pre-auth'd on the card and $140 in gas. I go to COOP or Costco only now with my truck because I don't have to do this.

- ARI cards for my work truck don't work at pay at the pump. Go to COOP for the same reason.

Not saying it is a bad idea, but there are lots of reason I don't pre-pay.

My biggest issue is they put a hold on your card for whatever amount you select, and it stays there for at least a day. If you are on a roadtrip and have a small limit on your CC, it can be a huge piss-off :banghead:

Same with debit IIRC, they put a hold on your account (assuming you can even use debit. And the systems are sofaking slow).

msommers
06-09-2015, 09:59 AM
The hold is annoying, it's why I go in to pay. That and my damn airmiles never works at the pump :rofl:

Cos
06-09-2015, 10:26 AM

riander5
06-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Never choose to get in front of a moving vehicle....

Hopefully she has a full recovery.

rage2
06-09-2015, 10:37 AM
How maxed out are your credit cards where a $120 hold is a problem? I guess looking at it that way a hold of a few days might be enough to push the purchase to the next billing cycle, interest free gas loan!

Sugarphreak
06-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Manhattan
06-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I didn't even know you could fill up on gas before paying in Canada. I always pay first before filling up. Why does the gas station need laws to enforce this? Can't they just set it up so you can't fill up before paying? :confused:

MalibuStacy
06-09-2015, 10:53 AM
I have been a bit absent from this thread for a bit but I do feel it should be noted that the instance of the women getting run over is all because of a culmination of events.

Yes it is sad, and no I am not in favour of victim blaming, and I do feel as though these guys are completely responsible for the ills that have happened to this women however... she left the safety of her store and then approached the perpetrator. Number one rule not to do in a robbery or theft incident in any retail position is you don't approach or confront the bad guy. I work at 7-Eleven and this is one of the one first things they make sure every employee know so that exactly this incident never happens. People are going to steal, its inevitable, and most times they are hocked up on adrenaline and are not thinking overly rationally. By standing in front of the truck, she may very well have activated a fight or flight response, and unfortunately this ended really badly.

But again, I don't distill this all down to the victim as this still comes down to some Oakley wearing (looks like) douchebag waste of skin who broke the law by stealing not only gasoline but a whole truck.

I really hope the guys are caught and sent to jail, and I hope the lady survives. If she passes, I fully expect these guys to get dinged with manslaughter.

End rant

speedog
06-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
I didn't even know you could fill up on gas before paying in Canada. I always pay first before filling up. Why does the gas station need laws to enforce this? Can't they just set it up so you can't fill up before paying? :confused:
I'm speculating here but possibly there is a cost associated with setting up or maintaining prepay - a government that mandates prepay takes that decision making process away from the retailers, forces them to do it.

It's sort of like chip cards - every retailer could have a chip enabled POS terminal but some do not because there are extra costs to accept chip enabled cards versus just straight swipe cards. Same goes for retailers that still to POS transactions over a dial-up connection versus a much faster high-speed data connection - more expensive to do the faster data connection.

Again, please note that I'm speculating here - there has to be a very good reason why fuel retailers haven't gone to a prepay format willingly, maybe it's as simple as not having prepay gets that customer through the door where thereal high profit items are.

01RedDX
06-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Hallowed_point
06-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Edit.

Hallowed_point
06-09-2015, 11:09 AM
I feel like the company missed a good PR opportunity and shot themselves in the foot with that finger-pointing blame-the-gov't statement.

What they should have said is: "From now on, to protect our employees and customers, we are implementing a pay-first policy in all our stations." Not "why doesn't the gov't make us do it?" Pretty stupid and I'm personally less likely to support them in the future. Besides, that whole "3˘ off on Wednesdays and Sundays" is stupid too, just price it like that every day if you want to be competitive.

BTW they found the truck.

I think the company realizes that they are about to be sued into the ground by the victims family. So instead of taking the high road, they are passing the buck. That's gonna look good on the stand.

JRSC00LUDE
06-09-2015, 11:10 AM
BTW they found the truck.

Well if they weren't smart enough to steal some more gas and burn it to the ground, their prints will be in it and they'll be matched up eventually. I would bet, if there were three as the pictures seem to indicate, one of them is already at a Lawyer figuring out how to roll and get off easier than the driver.

Best of luck to the poor lady. :thumbsdow

triplep
06-09-2015, 11:20 AM
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/2FC5B5C8-2D28-4F2C-A231-153EE203D06C_zpswct4bobw.png

As I recall, every gas station that I go to, either requires you to prepay, or go in and set up the prepayment. The only one that I can think of that still doesn't require prepayment is Centex (it appears that it is because the government doesn't mandate it).

Can anyone else chime in if there are still stations that don't require prepayments other then Centex? Maybe some local small time gas stations? Like I said, even though it isn't mandatory, a lot of the places already require this.

I guess when you offer cheaper gas (on certain days of the week) you have to drive sales some other way.

01RedDX
06-09-2015, 11:33 AM

roopi
06-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I gotta start filling up where you do. Costco limits to $130 and I believe COOP is $120 or called 'fill'

Superstore does $150. Never had an issue filling a F150 tank at $150.

Tik-Tok
06-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by triplep

Can anyone else chime in if there are still stations that don't require prepayments other then Centex? Maybe some local small time gas stations? Like I said, even though it isn't mandatory, a lot of the places already require this.

3 Shell's, and 2 Co-Ops near my house don't require pre-payment.

speedog
06-09-2015, 11:37 AM
As I recall, every gas station that I go to, either requires you to prepay, or go in and set up the prepayment. The only one that I can think of that still doesn't require prepayment is Centex (it appears that it is because the government doesn't mandate it).

[B]Can anyone else chime in if there are still stations that don't require prepayments other then Centex? Maybe some local small time gas stations? Like I said, even though it isn't mandatory, a lot of the places already require this.[/B

I guess when you offer cheaper gas (on certain days of the week) you have to drive sales some other way. ]
Esso, Shell, Superstore - there's plenty of places where I can pull in and start filling up without having to prepay.

Unfortunately, only government legislation will bring about 100% prepay in Alberta and while I would like to think that gas retailers would just do this on their own, there must be some very good reasons why they are not. So government legislation is most likely the only real answer - I don't think it should have to be but I know in my heart that forcing retailers to such is the only way to 100% resolve this in Alberta.

Yeah I know, people like rage2 will cry about more of a nanny state if this comes to be and I agree with his sentiments totally with respect to possible prepay legislation but I don't think we, as Albertans, can wait any longer for every fuel retailer in Alberta to do the right thing. The ability is obviously there for every fuel retailer to put 100% prepay into effect but they haven't and probably still won't after this latest event sad as that is.

Fucking stupid human beings we are - unwilling to do the right thing unless forced upon us.

muse017
06-09-2015, 12:03 PM
I've owned two gas station in the past one in BC and one in AB at the same time.

Why retailers are hesitant on changing to prepay set up?

Many retailers believe post payment will drive more customer into store and will increase revenue from misc items sale(food, drink, impulse buy etc). Risky but give you better sales figure. Gas stations typically don't make much profit off the gas sales so lots of retailers are trying to increase revenue on confectionery and food sales.

Also you wouldn't believe how dumb some people are especially when someone come in and say "I don't know how much gas I'm gonna put in". There are always "fill" options or if you set it to $60 and ended up only putting $50, you will only charged for "$50" not "$60". I'd be a millionaire in no time if that was a case.

To me, the store in BC was much less of headache. In 2011, my AB store lost almost $6000 in gas and go. It was so bad and I was force to change it to prepay.

BrknFngrs
06-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Incredibly insensitive and opportunistic statement by the company in my opinion. Stinks of "let's leverage this situation to push our agenda" :thumbsdow

Sugarphreak
06-09-2015, 12:14 PM

C_Dave45
06-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by muse017
I've owned two gas station in the past one in BC and one in AB at the same time.

Many retailers believe post payment will drive more customer into store and will increase revenue from misc items sale(food, drink, impulse buy etc). Risky but give you better sales figure. Gas stations typically don't make much profit off the gas sales so lots of retailers are trying to increase revenue on confectionery and food sales.

Also you wouldn't believe how dumb some people are especially when someone come in and say "I don't know how much gas I'm gonna put in". There are always "fill" options or if you set it to $60 and ended up only putting $50, you will only charged for "$50" not "$60". I'd be a millionaire in no time if that was a case.

To me, the store in BC was much less of headache. In 2011, my AB store lost almost $6000 in gas and go. It was so bad and I was force to change it to prepay.

VERY insightful post!!! I can see the hesitancy of pay at the pump only...those "walk up" sales are probably pure gravy. And yes I never buy stuff from inside anymore, although previously it was usually only a coffee, still a loss of sales no doubt.

And I imagine that without it being legislated, no one specific gas station wants to be the first on their block to be "pre-pay only" for fear of losing customers to the competition, down the road.

$6,000 holy shit....that's a hell of alot of litres of fuel in sales to recoup!!!

FraserB
06-09-2015, 12:37 PM

PetroCanada, Shell, Esso, Coop, 7-Eleven, Costco

jwslam
06-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Can anyone else chime in if there are still stations that don't require prepayments other then Centex?
99.99% sure co-op doesn't require payment first.

jwslam
06-09-2015, 01:02 PM

I know my dad is one of those people that will always walk into the store even when he's never there to buy anything. I guess he's one of those "I need to see a face" people, but does that really change anything whether he walks in before or after the pump?

JRSC00LUDE
06-09-2015, 01:11 PM
If I don't NEED something else, I pay at the pump. If I do need something else, I don't and do one transaction inside. This would not change if pay at the pump were mandatory everywhere but I must say, I find it irritating when I do have to do two transactions. Just some idiosyncrasy or something....but I won't avoid a station due to it. I WILL avoid a station if they remove that little lever that keeps the pump on, that fucking irritates me. But now's not the time....

Lex350
06-09-2015, 01:15 PM

PetroCanada, Shell, Esso, Coop, 7-Eleven, Costco

It depends on where. I see far more prepay stations in the NE that I do in the far NW.

CompletelyNumb
06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
I live in the deep SW, I almost never see "prepay only".

And my truck is over $150 to fill, so lower limits would be problematic to me.

aaronck
06-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Exp:

Update from CPS Facebook

"Update - Gas drive off resulting in hit-and-run
Following the release of video and pictures yesterday, tips from the public have resulted in us tentatively identifying one of the suspects. The passenger is believed to be a minor and therefore we have removed his images from The City of Calgary Newsroom as well as our social media.
Investigators are continuing to locate both men. The two suspects are described as Caucasian males with a slim build. The driver has brown hair and the passenger has blond hair."

Awesome. Kid will be caught and out after 6 months of juvie, where he will no doubt get tips on how to be a better criminal from the other kids. Also, if you take his picture down, how the hell are you supposed to find the culprit? Young offenders have WAY too many chances to re-offend...
Also, the lady passed away this afternoon. RIP

beyond_ban
06-09-2015, 03:38 PM
You guys always wait until your tank is empty to fill it? I always aim to top my tank off once it hits a quarter in order to save my fuel pump.

C_Dave45
06-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by aaronck

Exp:

Update from CPS Facebook

"Update - Gas drive off resulting in hit-and-run
Following the release of video and pictures yesterday, tips from the public have resulted in us tentatively identifying one of the suspects. The passenger is believed to be a minor and therefore we have removed his images from The City of Calgary Newsroom as well as our social media.
Investigators are continuing to locate both men. The two suspects are described as Caucasian males with a slim build. The driver has brown hair and the passenger has blond hair."

Awesome. Kid will be caught and out after 6 months of juvie, where he will no doubt get tips on how to be a better criminal from the other kids. Also, if you take his picture down, how the hell are you supposed to find the culprit? Young offenders have WAY too many chances to re-offend...
Also, the lady passed away this afternoon. RIP

OMG! That's so sad! Stupid little fucks. They should be charged as an adult for such a serious outcome. Her poor family.

Maxt
06-09-2015, 04:07 PM

Sunrise gasbar customers maybe...

lilmira
06-09-2015, 04:51 PM
The lady didn't make it. :(

guessboi
06-09-2015, 05:05 PM
^ Just saw this on cfcn website. RIP. :(

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
The lady didn't make it. :(

Absolutely fucking terrible. Please tell me that she didn't have kids. Actually please don't tell me anything. Just don't want to know.

May these losers be found and tied to anthills.

HiTempguy1
06-09-2015, 09:06 PM
How maxed out are your credit cards where a $120 hold is a problem? I guess looking at it that way a hold of a few days might be enough to push the purchase to the next billing cycle, interest free gas loan!

I have a small CC and a large CC. Large is used for major purchases and paid off immediately.

I don't have the willpower to micromanage my visa like some of you ballers do. So when I travel, my small CC comes with me. When you tow across the country in a diesel and spend $2k in fuel, it can become irritating. :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
06-09-2015, 10:28 PM
horrible to hear she didn't make it.

Kloubek
06-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Crappy. RIP. Minimum wage job certainly wasn't worth that level of devotion.

Crappy also to hear at least one of the guys will get a slap on the wrist - though it's the driver that should be nailed to the wall more than anyone.

OTown
06-10-2015, 07:17 AM
http://globalnews.ca/news/2044103/police-locate-truck-used-in-violent-gas-and-dash/

Calgary police arrest two suspects in fatal gas station hit and run

There you go folks. Some great investigating here by the police. Too bad these guys will probably get a slap on the wrist because our justice system is a joke.

Canmorite
06-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Glad to hear they were caught. I hope their sentences aren't light.

sabad66
06-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Shell's pumps have some preset auth amounts, but also an 'other' button if you want to enter your own auth amount.

but back on topic, very sad to hear this. she was trained as an engineer in Iran and moved here for a better life :(

the guys were caught about 2 blocks away from my house. I left my house around 6:30 and was wondering why there were 5 cop cars around... turned out to be this. Beddington is now officially the hood.

Tik-Tok
06-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Glad to hear they were caught. I hope their sentences aren't light.

They will be light. There was no premeditated murder here. The driver will probably be charged with 'Causing death by criminal negligence', and for reference, so far the harshest sentence for that in Canada was 7 years for killing three teenagers.

The two passengers will get a slap on the wrist.

FraserB
06-10-2015, 10:30 AM

They will be light. There was no premeditated murder here. The driver will probably be charged with 'Causing death by criminal negligence', and for reference, so far the harshest sentence for that in Canada was 7 years for killing three teenagers.

The two passengers will get a slap on the wrist.

It might be possible to charge first degree murder in the case of the driver. It would require some good work on the part of the prosecutors and an additional charge/conviction under S.423 to do so though.

Feruk
06-10-2015, 10:43 AM
First degree requires premeditation. Zero chance.

spikerS
06-10-2015, 10:46 AM

It might be possible to charge first degree murder in the case of the driver. It would require some good work on the part of the prosecutors and an additional charge/conviction under S.423 to do so though.

They will get charged with second degree.

First degree requires fore-thought and planning. There is no way that the prosecution will be able to prove that these guys went out with the intention of stealing gas for their stolen truck and kill a gas station attendant who put herself into the dangerous situation.

My bet is though, that while charged with second degree, they will both be found guilty of manslaughter is my guess. Second guess is driver gets second and the passenger gets manslaughter.

JRSC00LUDE
06-10-2015, 10:47 AM

They won't even have a snowballs chance in hell of 2nd degree, if that driver sees 5 years in prison I'll fall out of my chair in shock. A woman is dead, a family ruined and some dumb fuck will get off scott-free by comparison. Pathetic.

bjstare
06-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

They won't even have a snowballs chance in hell of 2nd degree, if that driver sees 5 years in prison I'll fall out of my chair in shock. A woman is dead, a family ruined and some dumb fuck will get off scott-free by comparison. Pathetic.

:werd:

No way is the passenger going to get convicted of manslaughter, that's ridiculous.

All those shitbags deserve far worse than they're going to get. My expectation is the most severe charge the driver sees is manslaughter or something of the like, not 2nd deg murder. Time will tell though.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-10-2015, 10:57 AM

My bet is though, that while charged with second degree, they will both be found guilty of manslaughter is my guess. Second guess is driver gets second and the passenger gets manslaughter.

Agreed, I see the driver charged with 2nd and plead down to manslaughter.

Passenger(s), that's a tough one (wild speculation ahead!) and I don't know how they'd argue he was in any way at fault for killing the lady. Probably just get nailed for theft, probably impossible to pin them as an accessory to the killing. They weren't behind the wheel, I don't see why they'd be considered responsible for the driver's actions.

Tik-Tok
06-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Passenger(s), that's a tough one (wild speculation ahead!) and I don't know how they'd argue he was in any way at fault for killing the lady. Probably just get nailed for theft, probably impossible to pin them as an accessory to the killing. They weren't behind the wheel, I don't see why they'd be considered responsible for the driver's actions.

I don't even see them getting the theft charges. They weren't the driver, wouldn't it be the drivers responsibility to pay for fuel?

Unless one of them went inside and told the driver they paid.

vengie
06-10-2015, 11:15 AM

I don't even see them getting the theft charges. They weren't the driver, wouldn't it be the drivers responsibility to pay for fuel?

Unless one of them went inside and told the driver they paid.

They were driving around in a stolen truck.