PDA

View Full Version : Stiches for snitches?

Robin Goodfellow
06-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Retracted.

killramos
06-08-2015, 09:00 PM
wtf is wrong with you?

/feeding the troll

-Jay21-
06-08-2015, 09:03 PM
There's something wrong with you if you think she deserved that outcome. The guy is a piece of shit that should be locked away and not be allowed the freedom to act like that again.

Snitches get stitches? How old are you?

Hallowed_point
06-08-2015, 09:04 PM
I think your viewpoint will change dramatically once a situation such as above directly affects you or someone that you care about.

Robin Goodfellow
06-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I think your viewpoint will change dramatically once a situation such as above directly affects you or someone that you care about.

A very good point. I will confess I'm not entirely comfortable with my own point of view.

Perhaps it is a reflection of my strong disdain for busybodies and meddlers.

I was thinking it would be interesting to solicit some other insights on the matter.

But truly, the question itself is ugly... and perhaps better no asked.

Fly Fishin'
06-09-2015, 06:20 AM
I'm a poacher snitch for life! Fuck anyone pulling bait or keeping illegal fish. So many eastern block Europeans and main land Chinese I don't really need to work much with all that cash I get.

ZenOps
06-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Missed it. But personally I think Snowden and Assange are heroes.

The truth should always be told regardless of outcome. If the end result is a nuke, I still think the truth should be told. I mean how do you even start to create a strategy to prevent a bad outcome if you lied to try and protect your ears from the bad outcome to start with? Honesty is the best policy.

North Korea probably has six shippable nukes.

Hallowed_point
06-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Snitches get stitches is a favorite saying of the HA's. That should tell you all you need to know about it. I think that there is a big difference in "snitching" and exposing someone to prevent harm.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Hallowed_point
06-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
This saying primarily gets utilized by thugs as a threat, and by butt-hurt petty criminals who got busted red handed doing something they shouldn't have.

Yup

sexualbanana
06-09-2015, 10:43 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f2/f2cdb3b296a620c0ccf9c7dc4c3a1f009a236fb2ead0b5ea3ad136adcf0e3af5.jpg

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Missed it. But personally I think Snowden and Assange are heroes.

I think there is a fundamental difference between a whistleblower, someone speaking truth to power, and a petty snitch.

A snitch, to my mind, is less about justice or safety, and really more about someone being a busybody.

I recall in Elementary, some kids put a whoopy cushion on the teachers chair. One kid told warned the teacher before they could sit.

That's a snitch.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2015, 11:19 AM

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 11:25 AM

What a stupid kid, hopefully you gave him stitches

My hands are not the messengers of justice.

But my eyes can observe the cause and effect play out.

There are some interesting questions raised here: What is the difference between legitimate intervention, and self-serving interference?

I think most would agree on the examples at either extremes... but there is a great grey area in between.

Sugarphreak
06-09-2015, 12:06 PM

speedog
06-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
My hands are not the messengers of justice.

But my eyes can observe the cause and effect play out.

There are some interesting questions raised here: What is the difference between legitimate intervention, and self-serving interference?

I think most would agree on the examples at either extremes... but there is a great grey area in between.
And there in lies the problem - what you perceive to be a snitchable situation might vary quite a bit from someone else's perception. Kind of like practical jokes - there's always that person who will take things a bit too far.

Her's another scenario - you and your family are driving on a remote B.C. highway during the late evening and pass by 3 natives walking on the side of the highway. A little further back, you had passed by a broken down vehicle on the side of the same highway. Now you don't know if that was their vehicle but you do know that they've got at least a 2-3 hour walk ahead of them before they get to any semblance of a human settlement. What do you do? You've got your wife and two small children with you but do have room for the three of them in your vehicle. What to do?

Well, we did have this exact experience on the West side highway out near Kelowna some 19 years ago. My wife and I passed by these three natives but after a quick discussion we stopped, talked to them and determined it was indeed their broken down vehicle and gave them a ride into West Kelowna. They all three were working full time at the Okanagan Resort and their vehicle had blown a tire and their spare was flat. They were three of the most grateful young men I had ever met because so many other people just drove past them and never bothered to even stop to see if they need help.

Now this may not be a "messengers of justice" situation but it is directly related in that everyone responds or reacts in a different way to the exact same situation and your inaction could very well have dire consequences for someone else.

Another situation some 31 years ago down by Prince's Island - me and a buddy were on our way to the island for a festival and happened upon a young caucasian guy collapsed on the sidewalk and having a seizure - the number of people that just kept walking by this young man who couldn't be bothered to stop was astonishing. We stopped and indeed the young lad was having an epileptic seizure, I found a pay phone any got an ambulance there to help him - self serving or legitimate intervention? Sure it's not a snitch scenario but it plays out exactly the same - one can either sit idly by and "observe" or one can be a messenger of "justice" or aid.

BTW, I'm on side with Fly Fishin' - sure I could turn a blind eye but those fishing rules are there to protect our fishing environment and preserve it for the future. Yeah, I guess the rules are another nanny state thing but I'd also readily snitch out any fishing poacher.

speedog
06-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Retracted.
It's really too bad you didn't have the balls to leave whatever you retracted up here, kind of speaks volumes about you in a way.

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 01:40 PM

In the case above, it was disrespectful to the teacher. Maybe playful in intent, but the only people who would be upset are the kids who were outed.

There were kids in my school who dropped asid into the teachers coffee as a prank, at what point is the line drawn?

You've moved the goalposts with your redirection.

The answer to your own scenario should be obvious: This is a safety and poisoning issue.

I think the whoopee-cushion episode presents a far more interesting exploration of the issue.

JRSC00LUDE
06-09-2015, 01:41 PM
I think the real issue is whether any Japanese restaurants are currently serving Chinese soup.

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by speedog

It's really too bad you didn't have the balls to leave whatever you retracted up here, kind of speaks volumes about you in a way.

Perhaps. What does it speak?

Sugarphreak
06-09-2015, 02:28 PM

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 02:38 PM

However, once we make the jump from harmless to dangerous pranks, should it be encouraged that "snitches" come forward?

And by the same token, should we wish harm upon "snitches" whom foil harmless pranks?

Awesome questions.

1) I'd say yes, but the devilish detail is where that threshold is.

2) Not sure. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest anyone deserves harm, but do think that when folks intervene unnecessarily they may invite bad things upon themselves. The devilish detail, again is in determining necessity.

speedog
06-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Determining necessity?

Is a prank ever necessary as opposed to intervention?

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Determining necessity?

Is a prank ever necessary as opposed to intervention?

I would suggest that the kid who snitched on the whoopie cushion placing was committing a greater violation than the children who placed it.

speedog
06-09-2015, 06:24 PM
I would suggest that the kid who snitched on the whoopie cushion placing was committing a greater violation than the children who placed it.
A greater violation of whom/what? The class clown who quite possibly is the class bully at the same time?

Robin Goodfellow
06-09-2015, 07:22 PM

The class clown who quite possibly is the class bully at the same time?

That's a bit of a stretch. As I recall a bunch of kids were in on it. Not sure who actually brought the whoopee cushion.

cancer man
06-11-2015, 03:48 AM
I think you have tattletale and snitching mixed up.

killramos
06-11-2015, 06:55 AM

2) Not sure. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest anyone deserves harm.

That's not what you said in your OP which you have conveniently deleted.

Why is this still a thread :dunno:

schurchill39
06-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I think the real issue is whether any Japanese restaurants are currently serving Chinese soup.

I had a donair from Chickpea the other day and it was damn good. I don't think it deserves to be as far down in the donair survey (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/best-donairs-in-downtown-calgary-surveyed-by-investment-bankers-1.2970610) ranks as it is.

P_D
06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Retracted.

Put the original quote back up