PDA

View Full Version : When do you fill up?

speedog
06-09-2015, 05:14 PM
So saw someone post in another thread that they "always aim to top my tank off once it hits a quarter in order to save my fuel pump".

Created this thread so as to keep the other one on topic but the above statement got me to wondering what this person thinks they're saving their fuel pump from. If it's premature failure, then that's got me confused as for the 35 years I've owned vehicles, I've only had to replace one fuel pump and that was on an older small block Chevy V8 where the fuel pump was not mounted in the tank.

As such, either I've been damn lucky or it's really a non-issue - anyhow, what's other people's ideas/thoughts/experiences on all of this, are you saving a fuel pump by keeping more fuel in the tank? Now I'll assume we're not talking about running a tank dry so you're completely out of fuel, just how far down do you let the tank go and if a tank is empty enough for the low fuel light to come on, are you risking the longevity of your fuel pump? It has not been my experience to date in 35 years that a fuel pump's longevity is affected by a tank that has at least some fuel in it, enough for the vehicle to run and get you to a fuel station - this is assuming that this is what is meant by "save my fuel pump".

By the way, I'm not picking on the person who posted the above quoted statement - I am just curious is to whether or not there's any real issues with respect to that statement or is it another old wives' tale.

M.alex
06-09-2015, 05:39 PM
seems pretty straightforward - fuel in the fuel tank keeps the pump cool; pump gets too hot, burns out faster.

corvettes are notorious for eating fuel pumps if you continually run the tanks low.

rx7_turbo2
06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
I rarely let my tank get below half.

Not because I think it helps the pump but it's become a habit to do it in the winter for safety and just carried over for the rest of the year I guess.

spikerS
06-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
I rarely let my tank get below half.

Not because I think it helps the pump but it's become a habit to do it in the winter for safety and just carried over for the rest of the year I guess.

In the summer, I don't usually go below 1/4, but in the winter, it rarely goes below 1/2 tank, for your exact reasons. I don't want to get caught stranded on the highway with no gas and struggling to keep my kids warm.

relyt92
06-09-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm the same^. Half tank in winter quarter tank in summer, also makes it so I don't have to spend as long outside each time I'm pumping in winter.

01RedDX
06-09-2015, 05:58 PM

msommers
06-09-2015, 06:04 PM
I've always been under the impression that a lot of gunk can build at the bottom of the tank over time and running your tank near empty starts to introduce that into the engine.

Hallowed_point
06-09-2015, 06:12 PM
Always before I hit a quarter tank. I don't ever wait for a low fuel light.

speedog
06-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Then I guess I've been damn lucky over 35 years then and multiple vehicles, usually run them down to about an 1/8th tank, sometimes fuel light on and never an issue to date with any vehicle that's had in-tank fuel pumps.

Do people really know this is an issue or are they just assuming?

As far as the stranded thing, wow. Any vehicle I've had could easily go 500-700km on the highway meaning there was always somewhere I could get gasoline in my travels. Even travelling back from Kelowna during really shitty winter weather and being stopped for hours on end for avalanche control and accidents one winter, we never had low fuel issue, topped up at Golden and we were good to go. Maybe back in the 80's or earlier, getting stranded might've been an issue what with vehicles that got poor fuel mileage and everything shutting down at 6pm or earlier but these days, it kind of boggles my mind that someone could get stranded due to running out of fuel. Even to drive to 100 Mile House in one shot in B.C. from Calgary (800+ km), there are quite a few locations that have 24 hour service stations - Canmore, Golden, Revelstoke, possibly Sicamous, Salmon Arm, possibly Chase, Kamloops, possibly Barriere. Quite easy to top up at any one of those places so one doesn't half to get stranded due to running out of fuel. Where are y'all driving to that 24 hour fuel stations aren't available over a 500-600km stretch - even to Winnipeg it's not a big deal.

ShermanEF9
06-09-2015, 06:42 PM
i start looking when my DTE hits ~100.

lilmira
06-09-2015, 06:45 PM
I always wait till the tank is near empty (indicator, not much beyond) and I never have any problem. That's what it's supposed to do. :dunno:

NoPulp
06-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Focus- usually let it get just under 1/4 because it takes so long to burn a tank and I forget that it actually uses gas. I also hate the tank, when the pump clicks it's FULL. Anymore gas at full and it spills out. Annoying if you want to fill to the next dollar.

Mustang- usually at 3/8. The last 1/4 is actually huge, but the mustang is thirsty...

I hate the low fuel light. Some people (like my girlfriend) seem to like to run their car to the light. :dunno:

The fuel pump thing in the quote is BS.

top_speed
06-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Depending on what you drive, always have waited for the fuel light to come on a Honda, never had an issue . Did it on a Pontiac needed a fuel pump at 90k lol

ShermanEF9
06-09-2015, 06:50 PM
I don't understand the "getting to an even number" deal. nothing else you buy will do that, so why bother? its also bad for the evap system when you overfill it, and that is known to be true, unlike the fuel pump dying prematurely stuff.

Tik-Tok
06-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
, and that is known to be true, unlike the fuel pump dying prematurely stuff.

Um, it is a truth. Letting it get near to empty, and then getting in a highway traffic parking lot is a good way to run out of fuel, and running out of fuel means damaging your pump and/or injectors.

Especially bad in places like BC, where you could be parked on a hill, and starve the pump even with fuel in there.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-09-2015, 07:05 PM
One blip under 1/4 tank or 100km remaining on my tank. I have a D4S car with crazy injection and I have no worries about going low.

It can be bad for turbo cars to run low, on a corner the fuel pump can suck air and the engine can run lean briefly under load. My old maxima liked to warn me on hard corners.

Manufacturers have figured out people hate filling up their cars, and the warning light is a great indicator when to get fuel, there aren't nearly as many issues as the old days.

It's rare to see fuel lines freeze, gas is better and cars are engineered better.

Nismorphed
06-09-2015, 07:48 PM
When's it's free at centex

rage2
06-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Light comes on, hit the gas station. Fill to 1/2. It's all about minimizing weight haha.

Never had a fuel pump overheat problem, and never had gunk in engine because there's a thing called a fuel filter.

The_Penguin
06-09-2015, 08:14 PM
I've been driving for damn near 40 years. Lost count of how many cars I've owned.
Had one fuel pump problem in a '70 Austin Mini. And that was a bitch to replace. Had to use the braille method as it's on the back of the engine.
I get gas if
A) it's on empty or last 4 cars if the light comes on.
B) I'm going to be driving a long distance and I'm less than 1/2 tank.

firebane
06-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Mechanicals pumps for the win:D

rx7_turbo2
06-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
I don't understand the "getting to an even number" deal. nothing else you buy will do that, so why bother?

I was self employed and did my own bookkeeping, round numbers made life a lot easier.

tehwegz
06-09-2015, 09:20 PM
In my new car I play chicken with the gas light. But not really, as it tells me how many KM's I have left before needing to fill. Been filling when it starts to consistently say <50 km's till empty, less than 10% of its average range (500 km) on 40L. Which is about the time it plays a "chime" and the gas light comes on.

Last time I filled I still had 150-200km's to go but the gas prices app warned me gas was jumping $0.11/L so topped 'er up just in time.

Got to love how fast gas jumps up, and how slow it falls. Definitely some fudging, tweaking, or whatever they do to cheat the "free market".

schocker
06-09-2015, 09:47 PM
I do between gas light to 1/4. Usually I try it once below 1/4 as I like to get gas at costco.

ianmcc
06-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Whenever I fill up with CC I make it an unusual number like $48.84 or $69.69. That way my wife knows it was me when she sees a CC transaction on our bill.

jwslam
06-10-2015, 10:00 AM
I've only ever had the light come on maybe 4 times in my driving career.

Between 1/4 and 1/8 in the summer
Between 1/2 and 1/4 in the winter.

Also depends which car. My gas guzzler only has a 70L tank :cry:
My econobox is 65L

killramos
06-10-2015, 10:04 AM
In my car generally i just fill up when i drive by a shell that doesn't look busy and my tank is somewhere below 3/4.

Always fill up whenever leaving city limits on principle.

Sometimes its only at half when i fill some times i have 12km remaining. :dunno:

I have a centex a block away if it comes to that so its not like I could ever have issues.

spikerS
06-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Then I guess I've been damn lucky over 35 years then and multiple vehicles, usually run them down to about an 1/8th tank, sometimes fuel light on and never an issue to date with any vehicle that's had in-tank fuel pumps.

Do people really know this is an issue or are they just assuming?

As far as the stranded thing, wow. Any vehicle I've had could easily go 500-700km on the highway meaning there was always somewhere I could get gasoline in my travels. Even travelling back from Kelowna during really shitty winter weather and being stopped for hours on end for avalanche control and accidents one winter, we never had low fuel issue, topped up at Golden and we were good to go. Maybe back in the 80's or earlier, getting stranded might've been an issue what with vehicles that got poor fuel mileage and everything shutting down at 6pm or earlier but these days, it kind of boggles my mind that someone could get stranded due to running out of fuel. Even to drive to 100 Mile House in one shot in B.C. from Calgary (800+ km), there are quite a few locations that have 24 hour service stations - Canmore, Golden, Revelstoke, possibly Sicamous, Salmon Arm, possibly Chase, Kamloops, possibly Barriere. Quite easy to top up at any one of those places so one doesn't half to get stranded due to running out of fuel. Where are y'all driving to that 24 hour fuel stations aren't available over a 500-600km stretch - even to Winnipeg it's not a big deal.

Travelling back from Rimbey with my dad after visiting a client. I insisted that we stop for gas and fill up before we left. My dad said we should be fine as we had a tick over half a tank.

There was a bad snow storm at the time, and a semi jack-knifed a few cars in front of us and got stuck. There was no driving around it. With the heavy snowfall, and it all blowing from the west, the road quickly filled up, and even the big 4x4 trucks trying to get around were getting stuck.

Ended up sitting on the highway for almost 16 hours before we were able to move, and we ended up with another guy and his kid in the back seat because his car ran out of fuel.

max_boost
06-10-2015, 10:15 AM
When the car tells me <100kms remaining

sabad66
06-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Filling up is just another chore so I let it go low and fill up all the way so that i have to fill up as least often as possible.

Within city, i always wait til it's about 1/8th left or less. Sometimes will see the low warning light (maybe 5 times a year). If i'm going out of town/highway driving i plan a bit better and don't let it go less than 2/5ths.

Aleks
06-10-2015, 10:17 AM
I fill up the Toyota when the fuel light comes on, at which point it still has roughly 22L left in the tank.

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 10:20 AM
I fill around 1/8th of a tank normally and I have never had fuel pump issues.

I have come really damn close to emptying the thing before too, Drove all the way to Spokane on one tank and I believe my HHR has a 60 lt tank and I had about a litre to two litres left in the tank if my memory serves...

mr2mike
06-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Nismorphed
When's it's free at centex :devil:
Too soon.

1/2 tank regardless of season. I hate getting into a family member's car and seeing, oh nice, gotta get gas now 50kms DTE.

Any tank I've pulled, there's very little sediment at the bottom and intake filter seems to pick it up.
Never burnt a pump out but yes the fuel would cool the intank pump.

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by MalibuStacy
I fill around 1/8th of a tank normally and I have never had fuel pump issues.

I have come really damn close to emptying the thing before too, Drove all the way to Spokane on one tank and I believe my HHR has a 60 lt tank and I had about a litre to two litres left in the tank if my memory serves...

Shit I should have gotten better mileage than that, ah but I did sit at the border for a while mindlessly burning fuel...

GQBalla
06-10-2015, 12:10 PM
I always fill up when the light comes on or just before. Depends on where im going.

A2VR6
06-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Usually at a 1/4 tank which annoyingly is when the fuel light turns on in the BMW.

StreetRacerX
06-10-2015, 12:14 PM
^Same, minus the the fuel light

ercchry
06-10-2015, 12:25 PM
once a week, unless its so low i wont make it to my destination... i drive too much, once a week at a gas station is plenty of time for me, any more is a waste of time. i have a lexus, not some fragile domestic, or german car. so idgaf about the damn pump

120Comm
06-10-2015, 12:32 PM
On my WRX I know I can do another 100km once the light comes on, so I do it then. If the light hasn't come on and I know I have ~>100 to go before I get to a pump (or a pump that doesn't charge $texas), fill up.

In the Raptor, I try to use as much as I can. Haven't run it right out yet. Lowest I've ever had it was yesterday when the DTE said 18km - put 128.5 liters in a supposed 136L tank, so I presume I have a fair bit of leeway.

Having said that, I have a ~70km one-way commute from Bragg Creek to Whitehorn. I try to buy gas at Costco or someplace else relatively cheap - if I wait until Jumping Pound or Bragg Creek, where you're at the mercy of the only game in town, I'll pay easily 10¢ more.

gogreen
06-10-2015, 12:56 PM
I was taught to fill up at 1/4 to avoid pulling sediment into the filter screen, and prevent condensation inside the tank that could lead to hard starting in the winter. I hadn't heard the theory that it cools the pump. I've only had 1 vehicle have a fuel pump failure, but that may have just been a common issue with that particular model so I don't really have any hard evidence to support any of these theories.

That being said, I still find it good practice to fill at 1/4 or so, or when it's convenient (i.e. on the way home from work rather than having to stop on the way in the next morning). You just never know when you may need a full tank, and I certainly don't want to be the guy who decided to chance it and made rush hour traffic worse by stalling out in the middle of the road. Which could happen, as I only have one gas station on my regular route to work and I commute about 40 km each way. And that station is right near my house.

As for rounding off, I only round off to the next litre if it's close. I do that because it's my understanding that things like Superbucks or Canadian Tire money on a CT credit card is based on rewards per full litre. I could be wrong on that though, I haven't checked lately.

StreetRacerX
06-10-2015, 01:04 PM
I haven't read or heard anything about filling up at a certain level, just fill up at the quarter out of habit.

speedog
06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

Travelling back from Rimbey with my dad after visiting a client. I insisted that we stop for gas and fill up before we left. My dad said we should be fine as we had a tick over half a tank.

There was a bad snow storm at the time, and a semi jack-knifed a few cars in front of us and got stuck. There was no driving around it. With the heavy snowfall, and it all blowing from the west, the road quickly filled up, and even the big 4x4 trucks trying to get around were getting stuck.

Ended up sitting on the highway for almost 16 hours before we were able to move, and we ended up with another guy and his kid in the back seat because his car ran out of fuel.
How is this relative? Your Dad didn't run out of fuel, right?

blownz
06-10-2015, 01:08 PM
I don't fill up until after the low fuel light comes on. I have no intention on going to a gas station more often then I have too and I have never kept a car past 110,000km so I doubt when I fill would have any effect on the vehicle.

haggis88
06-10-2015, 03:14 PM
I always fill to a full tank and reset my ODO, so i know roughly when the light is going to come on...and if I'm near a gas station at that time or I know I'll need gas for my next day/nights activities, before I'm planning to be back at a gas station, then i'll just fill'er up!

spikerS
06-10-2015, 03:20 PM

How is this relative? Your Dad didn't run out of fuel, right?

God, you are dense sometimes.

No, we managed to make it and get fuel almost 16 hours later because we did fill up the tank before we left. When we filled up again, we had about 3/8ths tank.

If we had not filled up like I insisted before leaving Rimby, we would have been in the same position as the dad and kid in our back seat.

ercchry
06-10-2015, 03:22 PM

God, you are dense sometimes.

No, we managed to make it and get fuel almost 16 hours later because we did fill up the tank before we left. When we filled up again, we had about 3/8ths tank.

If we had not filled up like I insisted before leaving Rimby, we would have been in the same position as the dad and kid in our back seat.

to be fair, you suck at writing... you only mentioned the suggestion of filling, and left it sounding like dad veto'd you

spikerS
06-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

to be fair, you suck at writing... you only mentioned the suggestion of filling, and left it sounding like dad veto'd you

fair enough.

bjstare
06-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

+1, that's what I read too :dunno:

edit: looks like I'm late to the party.

btimbit
06-10-2015, 10:39 PM
If I'm below half a tank and drive by a gas station I like that doesn't look busy, I fill up. I don't like waiting until I need to do it, I can do it whenever I have time and not worry about it.

I've heard the fuel pump overheat thing a lot too but never experienced it myself. This was always from older guys, so maybe it's something that isn't really an issue with more modern technology?

beyond_ban
06-10-2015, 10:55 PM
By the way, I'm not picking on the person who posted the above quoted statement - I am just curious is to whether or not there's any real issues with respect to that statement or is it another old wives' tale.

I didn't see this thread till now, but i assume you are quoting me. I guess it has turned into a habit now to always refill at or before it hits 1/4 tank for the reason stated below by M.alex.

Originally posted by M.alex
seems pretty straightforward - fuel in the fuel tank keeps the pump cool; pump gets too hot, burns out faster.

corvettes are notorious for eating fuel pumps if you continually run the tanks low.

tirebob
06-10-2015, 11:09 PM
I fill up at 1/4 probably 3/4's of the time but sometimes it gets as low as hell... Never had a fuel pump problem since buying my first car in 1987...

D'z Nutz
06-10-2015, 11:14 PM
I fill up anywhere between when the light turns on (and on my car, it turns on like 1/4 empty) and almost empty, whenever it's convenient for me to get gas. Never had a problem yet.

beyond_ban
06-11-2015, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by tirebob
I fill up at 1/4 probably 3/4's of the time but sometimes it gets as low as hell... Never had a fuel pump problem since buying my first car in 1987...

I think the chance of actually burning a fuel pump out is probably quite small, but there is a gas station a minute from my house so the slight hassle of filling more often is minor in comparison to a little preventative maintenance.

killramos
06-11-2015, 07:13 AM
Another good reason for keeping the car full is you never know when you will be in hurry and need to get somewhere oh wait your car is bouncing off empty and you need to spend 10 minutes out of your way to get to a gas station.

Whereas if you fill up when its convenient and when you aren't busy its still a waste of time, but a waste of less important time.

The other solution is having a few cars sitting around. One of them must have gas amirit?

Which ends up being the only time i ever drive my Ford lol.

firebane
06-11-2015, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

I think the chance of actually burning a fuel pump out is probably quite small, but there is a gas station a minute from my house so the slight hassle of filling more often is minor in comparison to a little preventative maintenance.

Its actually not. On Chev/GM trucks from 88-99 you can tell when a person tank is getting low due to the noise the fuel pump is making from outside. These trucks were notorious for burning up fuel pumps because people would run them down too far.

heavyfuel
06-11-2015, 07:39 AM
The FASS on my Dodge has been starting to give me the dreaded 3rd gen Cummins 1/4 tank issue. My truck sometimes just dies at below 1/4 tank, then a long, hard start and I better be on flat ground and GTF to a gas station. It's an easy fix but it does involve dropping the tank so for now I just fill it once it hits 1/4 tank.

KRyn
06-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Usually at a 1/4 tank which annoyingly is when the fuel light turns on in the BMW.

Ditto

flipstah
06-11-2015, 09:15 AM
I fill up when the light turns on with the same octane, but in some rare cases, I needed to fill up with Shell 91 when there was Husky/Petro-Can 94 in there before so I switch the tune down to 91, burn that tank to the bottom, then start fresh after.

Could be bad, could be good... Hasn't given me issues.

Hallowed_point
06-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
I fill up when the light turns on with the same octane, but in some rare cases, I needed to fill up with Shell 91 when there was Husky/Petro-Can 94 in there before so I switch the tune down to 91, burn that tank to the bottom, then start fresh after.

Could be bad, could be good... Hasn't given me issues.

I used to do the occasional mix of Shell 91 & Husky 94 when I was down to a quarter tank of 94. This was in my tuned SRT4. You should be fine unless you are tuned right to the edge. Save a few $$ too.

ColoDano
06-11-2015, 09:30 AM
When driving around town, summetime I go to the light and fill, winter I keep it above 1/4 tank at least. When I hit the road for a long trip, I always fill up before starting out.

In my Prelude and WRX, I do try to keep at least a 1/4 tank in, to keep the higher flow pumps submerged and "cooler", plus it keeps the noise down.

When we had Race City here, I would be stopping at the Flying J on 114th all the time, as I tried to keep the car between 1/4 and 1/2 all the time.

jonnycat
06-16-2015, 03:28 PM
When the light goes on or when I am leaving town.

G
06-16-2015, 03:36 PM
So who fills up even if they don't normally do because the price of gas is going up? How many actively go hunting for stations that haven't changed the prices yet?

shakalaka
06-16-2015, 03:54 PM
When the reserve light goes on, summer or winter. Probably should get in the habit of doing it sooner though.

birdman86
06-16-2015, 03:59 PM
I run it as low as I can usually, cause I don't buy many groceries but still want to use the Safeway savings codes (only have so many of those)

JRSC00LUDE
06-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by G
So who fills up even if they don't normally do because the price of gas is going up? How many actively go hunting for stations that haven't changed the prices yet?

I never have any idea how much fuel is, I need it so I go get it. I'll waste more time/money driving around looking to save 5 cents a litre than it costs to just get it.

Tik-Tok
06-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I never have any idea how much fuel is, I need it so I go get it. I'll waste more time/money driving around looking to save 5 cents a litre than it costs to just get it.

:werd: I don't even drive enough to care how much it costs. (except road trips obviously)

spikerS
06-16-2015, 05:30 PM

I will fill up at superstore almost all the time because I get $0.07/L back to use in superstore, which can work out to $8.00-$9.00 in savings each time.

But if I am not near a superstore, but I need gas, and a costco is along the way, I will go there, and I can save $0.06-$0.10/L over any of the other gas stations.

I also use the Gas Buddy app on my phone which will direct me to the lowest priced gas around me too.

I rarely fill up at Shells or Essos unless it is too inconvenient to get too a cheaper place, and rather than fill up, I will only put in $20 to tide me over until I swing past a superstore or costco.

I believe people are too free with their money these days. It is your hard earned money, and you can spend it any way you choose, I prefer to keep as much of it in my pocket as I can so I can do as much with it as possible. If you are all saying that you all have that much money to burn, well then, kudos to you. People always justify it as an extra $5 wont be noticed and if it is, then you need to fix shit. well you know what, $5 here, $10 there, $1.50 somewhere else, all adds up in the course of a month. Yes, $5 for that one transaction isn't that big of a deal, but average $3 for every transaction over the course of a month...I wish I was balla.

killramos
06-16-2015, 05:55 PM
I spend maybe 40 dollars a month on gas when i don't leave the city. Not worth the time to search for savings. The savings probably wouldn't even add up to a 20 over the course of a year.

JRSC00LUDE
06-16-2015, 06:00 PM
<--------- ain't no balla here my friend! :D

I did start using the Fuelly app so I could see how bad my Tacoma REALLY is on fuel, I just checked and it said I've spent $839.58 since March 15 when I starting tracking it. So, over 93 days it is costing me $9.03/day to drive my fat ass around town on average. I can live with that!

spikerS
06-16-2015, 06:04 PM
&lt;--------- ain't no balla here my friend! :D

I did start using the Fuelly app so I could see how bad my Tacoma REALLY is on fuel, I just checked and it said I've spent $839.58 since March 15 when I starting tracking it. So, over 93 days it is costing me $9.03/day to drive my fat ass around town on average. I can live with that!

Sure you can. But, if someone came to you and said What if it could be lowered to $7.50 a day with minimal effort? Would you just scoff and say no, or would you investigate it?

Like I said, I know where the best deals are for my gas. If I know I am going to need gas soon and I am near a costco, I am not hunting for it, or driving all over, I drive a block over, and fill up. In my neighborhood, I know where the cheaper stations are, I know which ones increase their prices first, which ones are the last to lower them. Its not going to cost me anything more to drive 200m further down the road to fill up to save money.

legendboy
06-16-2015, 11:12 PM
My bike has a 16L tank. Drive to work 50km each way so I generally fill up everyday on my way home. Normally I use half a tank, usually 8L or so.

btimbit
06-17-2015, 08:58 AM
I never even know what the price of gas is until I'm at the pump. Not much you can do about it anyway. I know what station near my house is the best balance between price and quality but if I'm away from home I go just go to any station that I like.

jwslam
06-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Sure you can. But, if someone came to you and said What if it could be lowered to $7.50 a day with minimal effort? Would you just scoff and say no, or would you investigate it?
$1.50 a day sounds like nothing; $50 per month makes it sound so much more appealing.

Strider
06-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Shell disincentivizes filling up with their new Air Miles structure/bonuses and their current "win a BMW" contest. I haven't topped up my tank for over a year now, only 25L or 30L (30L being the minimum to enter the BMW sweepstakes), once a week on the way home from grocery shopping. That's enough to keep me somewhere between 1/4 to 3/4 full at all times.

schocker
06-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Last night I even filled up before the light came on and it still took 60L, wtf tsx :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
06-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

$1.50 a day sounds like nothing; $50 per month makes it sound so much more appealing.

$600.00/year makes it SOUND more appealing but in all honesty, at $2-$3 bucks a pop I'll never notice it. Save me $600.00 NOW and I'm listening. If I could prebuy gas for the year then I'd shop for a better rate since I know, more or less, what I'm going to spend. That would make fuel purchases interesting, betting on that market.

lilmira
06-17-2015, 09:53 AM
small car (55L tank) FTW. I spend about 130-140 bucks on gas a month. How much can I save by looking for the cheapest gas? I can see more saving for someone who spends more on gas, not for me.

Tik-Tok
06-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Strider
Shell disincentivizes filling up

Shell disincentives by increasing their Gold price AGAIN. 20c a fucking litre difference. When I first started using premium only 10 years ago, it was 10c. Not that I would notice the difference in my wallet, but it's the principle of it. I don't need all their nitrogen enriched, engine protection marketing bullshit.

All I want is no ethanol in my 91 octane, which I'm getting at Co-Op now.

schocker
06-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
small car (55L tank) FTW. I spend about 130-140 bucks on gas a month. How much can I save by looking for the cheapest gas? I can see more saving for someone who spends more on gas, not for me.
I do about the same, 60L /fill $140/month and at costco it was last night $1.189 for premium. Shell would be $1.159 + $0.20 so I save about $20 a month which covers like hulu and netflix I suppose.

Xtrema
06-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
All I want is no ethanol in my 91 octane, which I'm getting at Co-Op now.

Tell me more? How does Co-Op guarantee no ethanol in their premium?

I gas up whenever I hit about ~350km from last fill up. I exclusively use Shell. So I usually gas up when I'm on my way to work.

FraserB
06-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by killramos
I spend maybe 40 dollars a month on gas when i don't leave the city. Not worth the time to search for savings. The savings probably wouldn't even add up to a 20 over the course of a year.

I'd save about $70 a year if I hunted around for gas savings, not sure the amount of time it would take, but probably longer than it would take to earn $70

JRSC00LUDE
06-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Tell me more? How does Co-Op guarantee no ethanol in their premium?

I gas up whenever I hit about ~350km from last fill up. I exclusively use Shell. So I usually gas up when I'm on my way to work.

That got me thinking too so I Googled a bit and Co-op does claim their premium fuel is ethanol free. Neat.

Tik-Tok
06-17-2015, 11:33 AM

That got me thinking too so I Googled a bit and Co-op does claim their premium fuel is ethanol free. Neat.

Not just premium, they claim NONE of their gasoline contains ethanol.

http://issuu.com/calgaryco-op/docs/co-opnews_april-web

Page 2.

Many of our members operate equipment that cannot burn fuel containing ethanol. We would like to assure those members that all grades of Calgary Co-op gasoline do not conatin ethanol at our locations in Calgary, Airdrie, High River, Okotoks, and Strathmore.

I can only assume they can do this from their own refinery, by selling other stations extra amounts of ethanol, to comply with the national minimum of 5% ethanol average production.

Strider
06-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Shell disincentives by increasing their Gold price AGAIN. 20c a fucking litre difference.

Adding "Nitro+" to the name and sending out free keychains didn't do it for you? :rofl:

GotRice?
06-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Light comes on. I pray I can make another trip to and from work. Then gas up when the Lights on and the needle is past E.

schocker
06-17-2015, 05:45 PM
I currently don't get the price difference for premium based on terminal rack pricing:
http://www.shell.ca/en/products-services/shell-for-drivers/pricing/app-rack-pricing.html
http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/rack-pricing/daily-rack-pricing.aspx
It is like 5c more a litre yet it makes it 20 at the station and it doesn't adjust with pricing, always 15-20c depending on station

Tik-Tok
06-17-2015, 05:54 PM
And in the US, the difference is only about 5c a litre.

theken
06-17-2015, 07:07 PM
I like shell, but fuck premium

rx7_turbo2
06-17-2015, 08:32 PM
I started this thread by riding around on my high horse "I never let it get below half"

I switched vehicles with my wife last week, got back in mine Monday morning and "on reserve visit re-fueling station" was staring at me from the dash. No big deal should be enough to get to work then I'll fill up on the way home. Pulled up to the pump after work and.............no wallet. Well shit. By the time I got home my DTE was 8km lol. My wife and I then had a conversation about not being an inconsiderate c*nt.

spikerS
06-17-2015, 09:11 PM
I started this thread by riding around on my high horse &quot;I never let it get below half&quot;

I switched vehicles with my wife last week, got back in mine Monday morning and &quot;on reserve visit re-fueling station&quot; was staring at me from the dash. No big deal should be enough to get to work then I'll fill up on the way home. Pulled up to the pump after work and.............no wallet. Well shit. By the time I got home my DTE was 8km lol. My wife and I then had a conversation about not being an inconsiderate c*nt.

I can never have this conversation with Baygirl.

In the entire time we have been together, she has touched a gas pump a grand total of ......... NEVER.

If the truck has gas, I put it there. :rofl:

rx7_turbo2
06-17-2015, 09:32 PM

In the entire time we have been together, she has touched a gas pump a grand total of ......... NEVER.

We're the same way. In fact her response was something along the lines of "I never bothered to look how much it had, it's just always full". Which means the whole situation quickly became my fault :nut: Ah well she made up for it with fresh baked cookies and "other stuff" ;)

rage2
06-17-2015, 10:08 PM
I had to call Mercedes roadside to bring me gas cuz my gf ran her car bone dry. Wouldn't even fire up in the garage. Beyonder came to save the day and laughed at me.

msommers
06-17-2015, 10:17 PM
Someone should start a poll on where you fill up.

I'm a Shell Nazi.

rx7_turbo2
06-18-2015, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I'm a Shell Nazi.

I only fill up at Shell, but their latest move to increase the differential between regular and premium is kind of a piss off.

spikerS
06-18-2015, 06:17 AM

I only fill up at Shell, but their latest move to increase the differential between regular and premium is kind of a piss off.

It has always been a piss off for me too, ever since I was a kid, and like a year ago, i noticed the bigger differential between regular and premium.

But I actually take that into consideration when I buy a new vehicle too. I won't buy one that needs premium. I actually wasn't going to buy my F-150 because before doing my research on it, I thought it required premium because of the twin turbo.

But as for me,
7/10 times I go to superstore
2/10 times I go to Costco
1/10 times (If that even) I will put in a quick $20 at a Shell or Esso or whatever is at hand to tide me over till I am near a Superstore or Costco.

killramos
06-18-2015, 06:36 AM
I started this thread by riding around on my high horse &quot;I never let it get below half&quot;

I switched vehicles with my wife last week, got back in mine Monday morning and &quot;on reserve visit re-fueling station&quot; was staring at me from the dash. No big deal should be enough to get to work then I'll fill up on the way home. Pulled up to the pump after work and.............no wallet. Well shit. By the time I got home my DTE was 8km lol. My wife and I then had a conversation about not being an inconsiderate c*nt.

It's sad because its so very very true. I swear my fiancee never fills it up more than to just make the 80 km message go away on the Ford and the BMW. The FJ Cruiser? Well at least the fuel reserve is almost as big as the tank on a motorcycle.

:rofl:

schocker
06-18-2015, 08:12 AM
Costco ftw on this, 8c above regular, just like the rack price. The 20c last time at shell blew my mind. Got the same mileage/performance as costco gas but at 17c/l more.

A2VR6
06-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Someone should start a poll on where you fill up.

I'm a Shell Nazi. :werd: me too. Costco and Superstore are kinda out of the way for me so I dont see much of a benefit in going to those places unless im already in the area.

codetrap
06-18-2015, 08:52 AM

jwslam
06-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Gasoline is probably not the only gas in the truck that you put in there.