PDA

View Full Version : Offroading in the Bow River?

rage2
06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
https://postmediacalgaryherald2.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/weather-feature1.jpg

Who's this asshole? :rofl:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/officials-ask-for-respect-safety-around-rivers

Provincial and municipal officials are asking river enthusiasts to keep motorized vehicles far away from the water.

After the Calgary Herald took a photo Monday of a man driving his Jeep through the Bow River near the Graves Bridge on Glenmore Trail, government officials were outraged that anyone would think it’s OK to run a vehicle through the river intentionally.

According to Alberta Environment and Parks, the offence can be punishable through a range of fines under the Public Lands Act, anywhere from $250 to $25,000 if someone is intentionally driving through sensitive aquatic habitat, particularly if fish are spawning.

Earlier this month, a judge in Rocky Mountain House handed out fines of $1,500 each to two men who drove their ATVs through the Clearwater River, the highest fines ever handed out for that type of offence.

But officials added that if fish have laid eggs in the area, particularly in the spring when certain sport fish are spawning, the fine could have been much stiffer.

“The public needs to understand that what they’re driving their vehicle through isn’t just water and dirt. They’re driving through an environment where organisms are living,” said Craig Knaus, compliance manager with Alberta Environment and Parks.

Sgt. Kevin Knight of the Calgary Police said that in his “25 years of service, I have never before seen someone driving their vehicle on purpose in the river.”

Knight explained not only is the activity illegal, it’s a huge safety risk.

“It’s a pretty big no-no.”

“We don’t want people bringing their vehicles anywhere close to the river. Since the flood, the shores are still very unstable and they can give way at anytime.”

Carol Henke, spokeswoman for the Calgary Fire Department, agreed.

“We have pulled cars out of the river that have ended up there by accident, but this is the first time I’ve seen anyone do something like this on purpose,” Henke said.

“Anyone that drives through the river is really putting themselves at risk.”

Henke explained that the riverbed surface can change at anytime, and suddenly your vehicle is immersed, and all of the oil, gasoline and other pollutants that come with it.

Earlier this month, the city fire department issued a public service announcement reminding all Calgarians about river safety.

Most importantly, she said, when floating on the river, get a strong, sturdy, floatable craft, preferably from a reputable rental agency.

Always wear a personal flotation device, plan your trip, never tie rafts together and never bring liquor onto the water.

Tik-Tok
06-10-2015, 08:58 AM
:facepalm:

Nufy
06-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Manitoba Plates ??

Nope...Poor eyesight...

BerserkerCatSplat
06-10-2015, 09:09 AM
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Darell_n
06-10-2015, 09:34 AM
I see trucks parked on the gravel islands in this area regularly and down by Ogden, with guys fishing. It's been like this for decades.

firebane
06-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
I see trucks parked on the gravel islands in this area regularly and down by Ogden, with guys fishing. It's been like this for decades.

Just cause they have been doing it doesn't make it right.

People need to learn to respect shit like this or soon we won't have any opportunities.

msommers
06-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n

I kind of find it ironic that the idiots doing this are people fishing.

Fly Fishin'
06-10-2015, 06:14 PM
God damn jeep owners! Haha jk most of you are great.

Sugarphreak
06-10-2015, 08:08 PM

Darell_n
06-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Just cause they have been doing it doesn't make it right.

People need to learn to respect shit like this or soon we won't have any opportunities.

I'm not defending anyone. Irresponsible assholes have been around for decades, that was my point. If it was a quad, the operator would have been burned at the stake in a public square and his family exiled to Siberia.

lilmira
06-10-2015, 09:04 PM
That's a big dog or a dog with a big face or just a big dog face.

Darell_n
06-11-2015, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
That's a big dog or a dog with a big face or just a big dog face.

Yes to all.

Fly Fishin'
06-11-2015, 07:15 AM
I just wish I could have called him into RAP! that would have landed me enough cash for a new rod.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
making sure you vehicle isn't leaking harmful liquids.

Let's be honest here - it's a Jeep, if it's not leaking harmful liquids, it's because said liquids have already all leaked out. :D