PDA

View Full Version : My help, in exchange for your help?

heavyfuel
06-11-2015, 09:53 PM
This may sound odd, and I feel a bit silly with this proposal but I have always been an out-of the-box thinker so I thought I'd throw this out there. Before I begin I will be clear that I am NOT a personal trainer, I have never taken any sort of course, nor have I attended any seminars or info sessions of any kind on the topics of fitness and nutrition. I'm just a regular guy who did some research and got himself some real results in less than a year. Nothing more nothing less than that. By real results, I mean going from a size 38 255lbs to a size 34 fairly ripped 220lbs in approximately 8 months. I'm not offering advice on bodybuilding, but rather slight weight loss and general fitness.

As most of you know I am also a small business owner. I struggle with that big time. Sure, I get the job done and we're a no bs crew and all, sure. But I struggle, to think properly and in a way that will really make my business run like a business, as opposed to a mere taxable grind, which is more or less the best way I can describe it at the moment. Today is June 11th, and I got a total of ZERO new calls or emails all day. And I've had zero call days more and more lately despite strong first page Google rankings with the most obvious keywords. Why is that? Lack of marketing? Inadequate advertising? Perhaps. But not. Truth is, the main reason is ME and my inability to think BIGGER and execute the proper business owner thought process with confidence.

So here it is. If you're thinking about dieting, or struggling to get into shape yet you're successful and savvy in other areas, I am confident that I can help and guide somebody to become a fitter, healthier person, in exchange for that person to help me figure out how to think bigger and execute proper thoughts with efficiency. Because until I figure that out, I don't think any amount of advertising or marketing is gonna do a damn thing for me. First page of Google, and I can't break 20k monthly in gross sales year round. Something is wrong here. And it's not external. That something is my thinking.

Thanks for reading, let me know your thoughts on this if you're interested.

carson blocks
06-12-2015, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
I struggle, to think properly

Truer words have never been spoken.

But, all kidding aside, good for you for seeking help with the side of your business that doesn't align with your skillset.

Hallowed_point
06-12-2015, 10:58 AM
I don't have much to add beyond: thumbs up for admitting your strengths and weaknesses and trying to improve.

ercchry
06-12-2015, 11:15 AM
i dunno if this is the best way to go about it, all the focus should be on improving business, not telling some fatty to put the doughnut down. you need a business partner, get someone to be an active investor, infuse the business with some working capital, and increase sales while you just focus on what you do best

Axe
06-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Some initial thoughts and I've no doubt there are people with more experience than me in this. I'm not familiar with the business you are in. I'am assuming you have a web presence as you're using Google.

- Does your target market use Google to look for your services or how do they find you? Word of mouth, paper publications, industry groups, etc. Google may or may not be your primary driver of new customers.

- Is there a strong Call to Action on your website/landing page when prospects come in from Google?

- Are your past and/or current clients the right target market or has that shifted?

- Do you have/maintain or can access a list of past/existing clients to do some phone or email marketing? If you're not getting new business, you may have the time to phone previous clients. You'll need some sort of key message/offer before making those calls.

- With regards to the previous comment, I agree that cash/cash flow is probably needed before you can invest in other marketing or sales activities.

- If you do direct sales, is an option to look at a junior, but very hungry sales person to work off commission and make calls to try and establish new business or open some doors for you to then close the deal (don't know if this is appropriate to the business).

Some initial thoughts/questions to get you thinking...

R-Audi
06-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Might help if you say what your business is.

JRSC00LUDE
06-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Might help if you say what your business is.

I don't even live in Calgary and I know it's Calgary Junk Removal (or at least I think it is)!

Vince, have you ever thought of talking with someone like InRich? We give the guy a hassle but he's a go-getter and from reviews around here seems to be a legit and solid person to actually do business with. He's in the home reno business and maybe there's a tag-team approach there for hauling shit away?

If not him, there have got to be others like him who need to get rid of the stuff when they rip it off. Disposal bins aren't always the best option....mutually beneficial partnerships are a way to grow business.

CompletelyNumb
06-12-2015, 12:07 PM
He does junk removal/hauling I believe.

Axe asked some good questions. Really good starting points.

Im curious about your website though... Are you using google analytics? First page on google is great, but how many pageviews and uniques does that get you? What's your drop rate? If you have a good call to action, is it web based contact or other? Have you tracked what percentage of visitors leads to a job? Do you currently pay for any marketing or advertising or webpage promotion, and if so, what's your cost per acquisition on that?

I know nothing about the business personally, but I could help you out on the web side of things. Cam could as well, he certainly knows his stuff.

If your industry is anything like the oil patch, just find client with endless properties (landlords, property managers) and butter them up with freebies and discounts on volume. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
06-12-2015, 12:15 PM
^

That's another good idea, property managers. If you can get an in with a large management firm it could provide a decent stream of work annually.

If you're not sold on yourself as a salesman, look at your numbers, find someone who you think could sell you and work out a commission structure with them. If someone with the right skills can do some direct marketing on the side and the sky is the limit on their pay/performance (10% of gross sales or a sliding scale $/contract figure based on value or whatever), it could bring you more work than you can handle if you find the right guy.

There's lots of options to consider and you may go through 20 of them before one sticks but, you're already trying to start somewhere. Your work ethic speaks for itself so you already know you can do the job if you get it, find the right people to help you get it. Trial and error, some shit will fail - lots of shit may fail, but something will work if you keep at it. Failure rate is of no consequence if you're learning from it as you go.

Axe
06-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Definitely support the comments from the two prior posts regarding Google Analytics, partnerships and sales approach.

If your website/business is Calgary Junk Removal some initial thoughts:

- The contact information is all over and easily visible/accessible on most pages which is great - except for the "contact us" page which does not have the email listed...

- Branding is confusing between the 714-Junk and Calgary Junk Removal. Not sure how this impacts/helps the business. Would suggest one and stick with it.

- It looks like the target market is residential; if you're targeting commercial it's not as evident (even though it's listed on the first page)

- First page is very content heavy; people generally scan from top left to bottom right. Less content and just some key points with links might help - my instinct was to click on the "residential" or "commercial Junk removal" to see if that would lead to more information.

Some really initial stuff; undoubtedly there are experts on Beyond in these areas...:)

ExtraSlow
06-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Isn't this what A790 does for a living? Marketing and web presence stuff? Maybe engage him.

heavyfuel
06-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i dunno if this is the best way to go about it, all the focus should be on improving business, not telling some fatty to put the doughnut down. you need a business partner,

I'm not so much looking for business help as much as help with my own way of thinking. My customers and their 6000 sq. ft homes in Aspen, for example, do not think the same way I do. Once I get the thinking properly part down, the business end of it will come naturally.

Partnerships, ummmm, maybe this is part of the thought process thing, dunno, but I'm really not comfortable with the idea of business partners.

Originally posted by Axe
Definitely support the comments from the two prior posts regarding Google Analytics, partnerships and sales approach.

If your website/business is Calgary Junk Removal some initial thoughts:

- The contact information is all over and easily visible/accessible on most pages which is great - except for the "contact us" page which does not have the email listed...

- Branding is confusing between the 714-Junk and Calgary Junk Removal. Not sure how this impacts/helps the business. Would suggest one and stick with it.

- It looks like the target market is residential; if you're targeting commercial it's not as evident (even though it's listed on the first page)

- First page is very content heavy; people generally scan from top left to bottom right. Less content and just some key points with links might help - my instinct was to click on the "residential" or "commercial Junk removal" to see if that would lead to more information.

Some really initial stuff; undoubtedly there are experts on Beyond in these areas...:)

Very good insight about the branding, problem is Calgary Junk Removal are overused keywords, and 714-junk is my phone number. They both have to go if you ask me. I do need a re-brand- big time. I'm halfway through Branding For Dummies, and I have to come up with a catchy name with as few syllables as possible but one that's also alphabetically up there so I can stay high on Google.

Website is currently being re-done as well.

JRSC00LUDE
06-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Partnerships, ummmm, maybe this is part of the thought process thing, dunno, but I'm really not comfortable with the idea of business partners.

Partnerships can come in many forms, it is not feasible (for most people) to possess all the skills required to truly maximize your business potential. The key is to maximize YOUR skill-set and leverage that of others where you are lacking.

carson blocks
06-12-2015, 01:59 PM
I have to come up with a catchy name with as few syllables as possible but one that's also alphabetically up there so I can stay high on Google.

I'm the furthest thing from a SEO expert, but I'm pretty sure alphabetical doesn't matter on Google. It's not the yellow pages. I'd concentrate more on a unique name that's easy to remember, easy to spell, and doesn't already have 100,000 results that are everyone BUT your company.

CompletelyNumb
06-12-2015, 02:48 PM
"SEO" is a dying profession. Gone are the days of naming your company "AAA Junk Removal" so that you'd be first in the Yellow Pages.

Rebrand may not be whats needed, but that's your call. How are you redoing the website?