PDA

View Full Version : Another one of those "What Car Should I buy" threads.. 17k ish budget

Typical_Chinese
06-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Hey everyone! I've been looking at lots of cars over the past month, and asked around on Reddit as well, but my list of desired cars is so long that it's not viable to test drive all of them!

I have a roughly $17,000 budget, can go up to $20,000 if I find a really nice deal, but prefer to keep my budget around $15,000 to $17,000 for mods and random maintenance costs.

I currently drive a very old beater car that I'm probably going to scrap or sell the car as is, and it's about time I get a nicer car!

I want something sporty (whether this is fast or handles well doesn't matter much), but still have a nice interior and will make my drive enjoyable. I prefer sedans/hatches, but will not turn down a good coupe. I really like the FRS/BRZ, but I'm not sure how comfy they are and if they're viable for longer drives. It would be preferable if the car is somewhat low-end luxury, like an Acura/Infiniti/Lexus/that sort of thing

Right now I'm super into the Golf GTIs, Focus ST, Infiniti G35/G37, Acura TL/TSX, and the Lexus IS250/350. I have also been keeping my eyes on BMW 3-series and newer C-classes.

For some reason I also REALLY like the look of Kia Optimas, they're comfy and luxurious inside, but I'm not sure how "boring" they are. I'm leaning towards the IS250/350, but heard they are really boring, slow and not fun to drive.

I know I gave a huge, long list of cars that aren't even similar (hot hatch vs sporty sedan vs a...FRS), but I really can't make up my mind on what to test drive! All these cars make me turn my head when I walk by them, and I think to myself how nice they are...

Thank you so, so much for all your help!

Danny Meehan
06-13-2015, 11:39 AM
used honda accord coupe / nissan altima coupe with low km COULD fit that budget

Redlyne_mr2
06-13-2015, 11:44 AM
A brand new Jetta/Golf will be in your price range. I've got a few pre-owned Golfs and a nice used GTI loaded that just came in that might work.

The FRS/BRZ are great cars but tough to drive in our winters because of the Rear wheel drive. The Infinitis are a great buy on the used market. The IS is a super boring car to drive but still a nice car.

FixedGear
06-13-2015, 11:47 AM
If you're moving from a beater that you're going to send to the scrapyard, you're probably young and should be saving and investing your money rather than blowing it on a massively depreciating asset. Look for something reliable around $5k and invest the rest, you'll thank yourself in 15 years.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Get Japanese entry luxury. It will be reliable, good looking and worth something in 2-3 years when you go to sell it for something bigger.

Vote: TSX IS250 G35.

Or put the 17 down on a RC-F. Its your choice.

Typical_Chinese
06-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Danny Meehan
used honda accord coupe / nissan altima coupe with low km COULD fit that budget

The Honda Accord Coupe looks amazing to me, especially the white ones. They are reliable, and I heard the manuals are quite fun as well!

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
A brand new Jetta/Golf will be in your price range. I've got a few pre-owned Golfs and a nice used GTI loaded that just came in that might work.

The FRS/BRZ are great cars but tough to drive in our winters because of the Rear wheel drive. The Infinitis are a great buy on the used market. The IS is a super boring car to drive but still a nice car.

I heard Blizzaks with the FRS are good enough? And that the traction control is legit as well? But I agree, I'd rather have an AWD with winter tires than a RWD.

What about the GTIs?

Originally posted by FixedGear
If you're moving from a beater that you're going to send to the scrapyard, you're probably young and should be saving and investing your money rather than blowing it on a massively depreciating asset. Look for something reliable around $5k and invest the rest, you'll thank yourself in 15 years.

I agree! It's just that I've been in a crap car for so long, and recently I received some good news and was thinking of treating myself. I also know I can find a well maintained car for under $10k, so I'm definitely not ruling that out!

Alternatively, this Merc looks amazing: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/392336/fs-2009-mercedes-benz-c300-4matic/

Typical_Chinese
06-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Get Japanese entry luxury. It will be reliable, good looking and worth something in 2-3 years when you go to sell it for something bigger.

Vote: TSX IS250 G35.

Or put the 17 down on a RC-F. Its your choice.

I agree with all three of those choices. I like the TSX, nice entry luxury, and the IS250 is a personal favorite but I heard it's boring and very underpowered. The G35 I actually test drove, but it was a coupe and I wanted to try a sedan as well (and also try a G37).

Thanks!

Typical_Chinese
06-13-2015, 11:58 AM
I also found this on Kijiji!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/trades-lexus-is350/1078390346?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

xnvy
06-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Don't stretch your budget to get a used Merc as the service cost will come back to bite you.

Typical_Chinese
06-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
Don't stretch your budget to get a used Merc as the service cost will come back to bite you.

That makes sense! Insurance will be high too...

So I guess I'mm restrict myself to low end luxury if I want to go for luxury? Like Acura/Lexus/Infiniti?

I'm guessing the GTI will be pricy too...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Id vote GTi.

FixedGear
06-13-2015, 12:36 PM
i'd still recommend trying to stay around $5k. You'll be way better off 15 years down the road is you save that extra $10-15k now.

what about a Tiburon, or better yet, check out the v6 domestic options, e.g. you can grab a nice mid-2000s Grand Am for cheap.

Redlyne_mr2
06-13-2015, 12:48 PM
GTI's are relatively cheap to run and depending on your insurance company tend to fall into the economy hatch segment. FWD makes them great in the snow.

xnvy
06-13-2015, 01:28 PM
I'd probably go for a used Civic Si or something if you want the sportiness. Something like this (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-honda-civic-sir-134000-original-k/1079848382?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true) seems like a good buy as it leaves a lot of your budget left over yet ticks all of the boxes.

Typical_Chinese
06-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Interesting, I'll research a bit on the SI online!

I also found a few 2007/2008 Subaru WRXs on Kijiji! A bit pricy though, $15k.

tehwegz
06-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Infiniti G37 Coupe. They're already done the worst of the depreciating, and will be sticking around that value for some time. 328hp, looks good, sounds good, nice interior.

J.M.
06-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by tehwegz
Infiniti G37 Coupe. They're already done the worst of the depreciating, and will be sticking around that value for some time. 328hp, looks good, sounds good, nice interior.

I've been keeping my eyes open on G37's lately, seems like you can pick up a 2008 model G37S coupe for around $14-$19k.. Kinda want one haha

Hallowed_point
06-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Test drive an 09-11 Civic Si. You may be pleasantly surprised. They get exceptional mileage even when you drive the snot out of them.

Or an Acura TL Type-S 6 speed :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
06-13-2015, 08:36 PM

Hallowed_point
06-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Speaking of which, you should come out to the next autoX event, you would have a blast in your car yeah I really should. It's 100% stock right now too.

Frank_White
06-14-2015, 03:17 PM
if you don't care about about handling or speed then get an IS, the IS350 is by no means slow but yea its "boring" but will suite what your looking for perfectly

Matty_10
06-14-2015, 03:41 PM
G37 coupe, $15K

relyt92
06-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Matty_10
I think this is going be my next car http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-infiniti-g37-sport-coupe-fully-loaded/1079822480?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

As long as everything checks out, it would be hard to go wrong with it.

xnvy
06-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
yeah I really should. It's 100% stock right now too. WOO Let's run together! :D

Sorry... :hijack:

jwslam
06-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Typical_Chinese
The Honda Accord Coupe looks amazing to me, especially the white ones. They are reliable, and I heard the manuals are quite fun as well![/url]
Your budget is probably looking at an 8th gen. I own an i4m5 if you wanna check it out; it's comfy but ridiculous on road noise, I wouldn't suggest it for long trips.

InRich
06-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Dudes only young once.
if he wants to spend 15k, let him spend it and enjoy it.

I'd recommend a GTI or a Civic SI or an Accord in manual.

max_boost
06-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Buy something reliable. I have owned GTI/WRX/Civic Si etc. The only one I want post warranty is the Civic. :thumbsup:

Redlined_8000
06-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Civic Si is a solid choice where you cant go wrong. Infiniti G35, or G37 are good and more car for the buck than the civic. Accord or Acura TL also nice choices. Id go with any of these cars.

E46..sTyLez
06-15-2015, 01:31 PM

Look at his user name...I am confident he has thought this through.

max_boost
06-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Given his username, the parents will provide him 20%+DP on a property and take care of his kids. Buddy doesn't need to save. :rofl: :thumbsup:

Typical_Chinese
06-15-2015, 11:46 PM
Haha I'm more like typical Chinese as in strict parents, small eyes etc and all that stereotypical shit :P I actually work for my car/insurance though :(

I decided to take FixedGear's advice even further...I'm just going to save a bit of money and drive my beater for another year or so. I'll be doing a bit of maintenance on it this week (alternator is bad and also this EGR Flow thing problem), I know nothing about cars but just hope it's not an expensive fix haha...

Might also get some HIDs since my headlights are old, and MAYBE tint or a cheap sound system from Bestbuy...

Thank you for all your suggestions, but guess this year isn't my year to get a second car haha!

zieg
06-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Please don't put hid bulbs in a reflector housing.

Hallowed_point
06-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by ZiG-87

:banghead: Agreed. Also don't tint your headlights or rice out your beater haha.

FixedGear
06-16-2015, 08:15 AM
I decided to take FixedGear's advice even further...I'm just going to save a bit of money and drive my beater for another year or so. I'll be doing a bit of maintenance on it this week (alternator is bad and also this EGR Flow thing problem), I know nothing about cars but just hope it's not an expensive fix haha...

wise move man :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jwslam
06-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Your budget is probably looking at an 8th gen. I own an i4m5 if you wanna check it out; it's comfy but ridiculous on road noise, I wouldn't suggest it for long trips.
Offer is still on the table, unless I decide to sell it soon
Probably won't because there's no way I'll recoup what I want for it.

Typical_Chinese
06-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by ZiG-87

Not sure what housing I have, but I'm assuming stock is reflector housing? If I then want HIDs, I'd have to buy HID specific housing, right? Are these expensive?

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

:banghead: Agreed. Also don't tint your headlights or rice out your beater haha.

Tint headlights? Like tint them purple or blue? Nah I just want white and want them to be brighter and look a bit nicer than the yellow lights I use now. I changed the bulbs last summer and tried to "repolish" the housing with this Turtle Headlight Restoration kit thing, but nothing really changed...

I do want to get some window tint on the back windows. Front windows are illegal right?

Graham_A_M
06-16-2015, 10:03 AM
^that turtle headlight polish is garbage. There are plenty of "how to's" on youtube if you'd look. Also, don't waste your money on a stereo from best buy, everything they have there is just utter garbage that I'd never spend money on. A better head unit (radio) okay, but their amps, speakers and subs are shit. In the event you do pick up a head unit, I can install it when I'm back in Calgary in a week or so. It's not hard, I've done dozens of them.

Tik-Tok
06-16-2015, 10:07 AM

I decided to take FixedGear's advice even further...I'm just going to save a bit of money and drive my beater for another year or so.

O...M...G...

It finally happened! Someone asked for car suggestions, and actually LISTENED to good advice. I think I'm going to weep with joy!

I salute you sir!

Typical_Chinese
06-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^that turtle headlight polish is garbage. There are plenty of "how to's" on youtube if you'd look. Also, don't waste your money on a stereo from best buy, everything they have there is just utter garbage that I'd never spend money on. A better head unit (radio) okay, but their amps, speakers and subs are shit. In the event you do pick up a head unit, I can install it when I'm back in Calgary in a week or so. It's not hard, I've done dozens of them.

My headunit doesn't have a USB or AUX input haha, and it's bothering me that I have to use a FM transmitter to play my music, and I also can't use my GPS when using the transmitter because it uses the car cigarette lighter thing haha! Headunits are around $100, maybe I'll pick it up, but after I fix the car problems :P

Yea I found a bunch of good items on Youtube, but I don't have a drill and we're not allowed "heavy" car-work (basically everything is considered heavy to them) in my apartment parking lot, I even got a complaint for lifting my hood to check my fluid levels....

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

O...M...G...

It finally happened! Someone asked for car suggestions, and actually LISTENED to good advice. I think I'm going to weep with joy!

I salute you sir!

Haha well asking for suggestions is pointless if you don't do any of it! Though I do want to spend a tiny bit of money on certain "upgrades", like a headunit or HIDs (couple hundred if you buy a complete kit from TRS?)...

jwslam
06-16-2015, 10:51 AM
after I fix the car problems :P
What kinda problems are you having... Actually did you even say what car it is??

As for FM & GPS: isn't a splitter like $5 at walmart?

Typical_Chinese
06-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Oh damn I didn't even know they have splitters haha!

Alternator probably needs to be changed (high pitched squeal on start and battery+brake light came on at the same time), getting it checked tomorrow hopefully I can get the car down to the shop

Also a P0401 code came up on my code reader, something about EGR Insufficient Flow :/

Btw, your Accord (2009) is the year I was looking at too previously haha!

FixedGear
06-16-2015, 12:49 PM
^^alternators are one of the easiest things to fix on a car, if you're up for it you should get it checked and then replace it yourself. You need minimal tools and skills and can save yourself a few bucks. Just bring your core to a local rebuilder and they should have a rebuilt one in stock already (call around).

Typical_Chinese
06-22-2015, 01:17 PM
I ended up getting the shop to do the Alternator as well as change the battery. They also said this pair of front suspension things needed to be changed. Total is a little over $900. They also recommended spark plug change which I think is fair, I don't think I did that recently. EGR they told me not to spend money on it yet though so I'm not too sure.

FixedGear
06-22-2015, 03:43 PM
just out of curiosity, what kind of car is it and what is the mileage?

Typical_Chinese
06-22-2015, 03:54 PM
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES, I think it was at 140ish I'll have to check, haven't driven it much since Easter.

Xtrema
06-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Have you checked out insurance cost for type of car picked? There is no reason to pay $2K insurance on a $17K used luxury that ended up in the more expensive classes.

FixedGear
06-22-2015, 04:56 PM
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES, I think it was at 140ish I'll have to check, haven't driven it much since Easter.

That's not too bad, I drove a '88 Hyundai Excel and 1990s Buick and Pontiac sedans that I got for free from my grandmother until I was 30 or so. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EDIT: also, glad to hear you didn't spend more to fix the alt/suspension than the car is worth (something you have to be careful about when driving "beaters"). Investing $900 was probably a good idea if you can get a few more years outta dat whip.

Canucks3322
06-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Buy my 2007 Audi A3 S Line?:D half your budget then do something smart with the rest..

Typical_Chinese
06-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Have you checked out insurance cost for type of car picked? There is no reason to pay $2K insurance on a $17K used luxury that ended up in the more expensive classes.

Hahahaha....Let's not talk about insurance, over $3k for full coverage even though I have a clean record...probably should wait until 25 years old to buy a nicer car.

That's not too bad, I drove a '88 Hyundai Excel and 1990s Buick and Pontiac sedans that I got for free from my grandmother until I was 30 or so. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EDIT: also, glad to hear you didn't spend more to fix the alt/suspension than the car is worth (something you have to be careful about when driving "beaters"). Investing $900 was probably a good idea if you can get a few more years outta dat whip.

I want to fix the EGR problem, but even the mechanic told me to wait it out.. I might need to change spark plugs though sigh. And I am considering HIDs but with housing and labor it might be pricy..

Originally posted by Canucks3322
Buy my 2007 Audi A3 S Line?:D half your budget then do something smart with the rest..

Haha thank you for the offer but I'm just going to use my beater for now!!

FixedGear
06-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Personally I would just ignore the EGR if I were you, waste of money unless you have to fix it for emissions reasons.

FixedGear
06-22-2015, 06:08 PM
also, sounds like you've got a good/honest mechanic if he isn't pressuring you on things like EGR valve