PDA

View Full Version : for MAR Tickets for rear bike racks seem unfair, say some Calgary cyclists

rob the knob
06-15-2015, 06:07 AM
MAR, because you have new hitch

Tickets for rear bike racks seem unfair, say some Calgary cyclists
But police say law is clear, licence plates must be clearly visible at all times
CBC News Posted: Jun 15, 2015 3:00 AM MT Last Updated: Jun 15, 2015 3:00 AM MT

Kevin Eklund is warning others that their rear bike rack may land them a $155 fine for obscuring any part of their licence plate.
http://s14.postimg.org/4tfsf2rsh/kevin_eklund_rear_bike_rack.jpg
Kevin Eklund is warning others that their rear bike rack may land them a $155 fine for obscuring any part of their licence plate. (Colleen Underwood/CBC)

Kevin Eklund wants to warn other cyclists that their rear bike rack could land them a $155 fine.

About a week ago, police pulled over the 34-year-old cyclist in downtown Calgary because they said his bike rack was blocking the registration sticker on his license plate.

Then, as they handed him the fine, they told him he should remove the rack when he's not using it.

"For the location that we live, next to the mountains, you know, going three times a week to the mountains to go mountain biking with my friends, and then on the weekends, having to not have a bike rack on my car or take it off when I'm not using it , it seems a little bit troublesome, " said Eklund.

Staff Sgt. Dean Vegso says according to Alberta's Traffic Safety Act, licence plates must be properly displayed.

"That way the police can run checks on the vehicle," said Vegso. "So when people either don't clear it or they put obstructions in front of it, it could constitute ticket...Do we see a lot of it? No. Is it high on the radar, is it a priority for the Calgary Police Service? No. Could you get a ticket? Of course."

Eklund says when he started to tell friends what happened, he heard similar stories from other cyclists.

Cyclist took photo of police van sporting rack

Trevor Anderson manages a bike shop called Calgary Cycle Road. He says he was driving to West Bragg Creek last summer when he was ticketed. He was carrying his bike on his rack at the time.

But, he says, he fought it — and won — by bringing in a picture of a Calgary Police van sporting a rack that covered its plate.

"I don't really know if, like, petitions or something could be done to get something like this changed, but there definitely needs to be something done about it 'cause you are picking on people for a really bad reason. That truly seems like a cash grab," said Anderson.

Vegso says police use their discretion when writing a ticket for this offence. And they don't usually fine drivers who are hauling a bike.

Eklund says he's hoping someone can come up with a solution.

"The manufacturers don't provide an extra plate to put the licence plate on the rack when you are using it. So the consumer is let down in the whole thing," said Eklund.

rx7_turbo2
06-15-2015, 06:57 AM
Your license plate can't be obscured. There's a shocker :rofl:

"Eklund says he's hoping someone can come up with a solution."

Eklund struggles with simple concepts it would seem :rolleyes:

italianstylez
06-15-2015, 06:58 AM
It's because lots of people leave them their to avoid radar tickets, Id probably do the same if I could.

C_Dave45
06-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Can't be that hard to take your plate off the car and attach it to the bike rack. 30 seconds to unscrew 2 screws and even use just a zip strip to attach it to the rack.

JRSC00LUDE
06-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Sometimes the simple answer is just to difficult, what a whiner.

GQBalla
06-15-2015, 07:20 AM
I always see vehicles with bike racks that always block their plates.

The other day i actually saw a bike rack where the owner actually put his plate onto it so it was clearly visible too.

Eklund looks like a douche anyway

killramos
06-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Is it it illegal to leave any kind of hitch on your vehicle when it's not being used due to bumper regulations anyways?

People who leave these things on their car without the intention of using them should be fined for havingn no taste anyways :dunno:

rage2
06-15-2015, 07:37 AM
The obvious answer is to setup a bike lane to bike to the mountains and not use a car.

Sugarphreak
06-15-2015, 07:39 AM

JRSC00LUDE
06-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by rage2
The obvious answer is to setup a bike lane to bike to the mountains and not use a car.

slow clap.

lilmira
06-15-2015, 08:12 AM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/lilshiba/2B6269E8-58C7-45C9-A680-543346CE0959_zpsxkc2khdd.jpg

I use roof rack. It looks better and I still take it off right away after using it because it looks even better without it. It's pretty simple.

Otherwise, pay and move on. Until they set up task force against hitch mount carrier obstructing license plate, it's non-issue.

ekguy
06-15-2015, 08:23 AM
Probably a road biker...Mountain bikers aren't whiny bitches like this douchebag that's blind to simple solutions.

blitz
06-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob
;The manufacturers don't provide an extra plate to put the licence plate on the rack when you are using it. So the consumer is let down in the whole thing," said Eklund.

I love the fact that he thinks Thule should give him an extra matching Alberta license plate :rofl:

There's a black CTS-V downtown that always has a folded up rack that completely obscures the license plate, I'm betting he doesn't even own a bike.

spikerS
06-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by blitz

I love the fact that he thinks Thule should give him an extra matching Alberta license plate :rofl:

There's a black CTS-V downtown that always has a folded up rack that completely obscures the license plate, I'm betting he doesn't even own a bike.

One of my co-workers has a bike rack, doesn't bike, and when you talk to him about it, he says it saves him from photo radar tickets and was worth the $200 investment.

Khyron
06-15-2015, 08:52 AM
I can remove my hitch rack in about 20 seconds. Which I do. Every single time. I'm not sure what the rocket science is. That was one of the advantages over a roof system which is a lot harder to add/remove.

If I actually have my bike mounted, then STFU - no different than someone hauling crap from home depot with their trunk open.

G
06-15-2015, 09:38 AM
http://i.imgur.com/U1Lz2Ma.jpg

Seriously, why even bother having a plate at all?

Hallowed_point
06-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by G
http://i.imgur.com/U1Lz2Ma.jpg

Seriously, why even bother having a plate at all?

Exactly..you might as well drive around with no plate or with a heavy black tinted cover. I'm ecstatic that they are finally enforcing this. Also agree that he probably is a whiny roadie. I see the same SUVS/cars daily on my commute with blockers/racks identical to this. Funny how they never have a bike on them and their vehicle doesn't look like it's ever touched a fire road. :dunno:

:clap: CPS

lil*tymer
06-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
Probably a road biker...Mountain bikers aren't whiny bitches like this douchebag that's blind to simple solutions.

HAHA come on dude, how often do you see a road bike on a rack? We ride our bikes to where we need to go. Definetely looks like an extreme mountain biker.

gogreen
06-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by blitz

I assumed that was a poorly worded way of saying that the manufacturers don't provide a secondary mounting point for a licence plate and it's up to the consumer to find a solution. That is, perhaps the "extra plate" refers to a mount for one's licence plate?

Even so, it doesn't seem that it would be too hard to mount the licence plate somewhere visible, and it's a bit dense to play the victim. In the end he made the decision to keep the rack on because he found it troublesome to remove, and paid a premium for convenience.

I agree with the other comments that some of these seem blatantly intentional.

ercchry
06-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by lil*tymer

HAHA come on dude, how often do you see a road bike on a rack? We ride our bikes to where we need to go. Definetely looks like an extreme mountain biker.

so all those cars parked on or near 22x are there for.... ???? :dunno:

Tik-Tok
06-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by gogreen

Even so, it doesn't seem that it would be too hard to mount the licence plate somewhere visible, and it's a bit dense to play the victim.

That's how people get their way (ie bike lanes everywhere), they constantly play victim. It would be pretty easy to mount his plate to his rear window, but that would take some intelligence.

Unknown303
06-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

so all those cars parked on or near 22x are there for.... ???? :dunno:

Or all the cars parked down in Kananaskis with bike racks and the 100s of roadbikers going up and down that highway. .

Hallowed_point
06-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by gogreen
I assumed that was a poorly worded way of saying that the manufacturers don't provide a secondary mounting point for a licence plate and it's up to the consumer to find a solution. That is, perhaps the "extra plate" refers to a mount for one's licence plate?

Even so, it doesn't seem that it would be too hard to mount the licence plate somewhere visible, and it's a bit dense to play the victim. In the end he made the decision to keep the rack on because he found it troublesome to remove, and paid a premium for convenience.

I agree with the other comments that some of these seem blatantly intentional.

I think if you have such a setup, you should come up with a work around so that your plate is still visible. How hard can it be? It would be nice if the rack manufacturer made a plate mounting point, but that's not a good excuse imo.

4runneron36s
06-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Funny how they never have a bike on them and their vehicle doesn't look like it's ever touched a fire road. :dunno:

:clap: CPS
Probably because they aren't planning to bike at work... Anyways, I have a tailgate pad that and when I'm loaded up with 4 or 5 bikes I try to keep the license plate visible, especially when heading to BC.

yellowGTS
06-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by rage2

+1 - to our city planner friends

BUT, this leads me to take the conversation on a bit of a tangent.

What about trucks with snow covering their license plate. Is that not an obstruction? I see it all the time and we get snow for a longer period of time than it would be feasible to ride a bike (or have a bike rack)

Tik-Tok
06-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by yellowGTS

I see it all the time and we get snow for a longer period of time than it would be feasible to ride a bike (or have a bike rack)

Also illegal, and also covered in the OP article. It's not something targeted by CPS, but it can get you a ticket none the less.

Also, by the sounds of it, this guy leaves his bike rack on all summer long, which is WAY longer than snow covering a license plate.

killramos
06-15-2015, 10:56 AM

+1 - to our city planner friends

BUT, this leads me to take the conversation on a bit of a tangent.

What about trucks with snow covering their license plate. Is that not an obstruction? I see it all the time and we get snow for a longer period of time than it would be feasible to ride a bike (or have a bike rack)

Still illegal. Brush the plate off when you brush off your windows.

It sucks but :dunno:

yellowGTS
06-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by killramos

Still illegal. Brush the plate off when you brush off your windows.

It sucks but :dunno:

I know it is a simple thing to do, but I see many, many Calgarian's drive around with snow covering their plate for up to 4 months at a time (depends on level of snowfall, etc)

Much easier to wipe some snow off the license plate than to remove a 100lb piece of metal on a daily basis

killramos
06-15-2015, 11:08 AM
I also see 10's of illegally tinted windows, trucks with tires that extend well beyond their fenders, people driving without seat belts, people without DRL's or driving without lights on at night on a daily basis.

Enforcement is the problem and I am not sure you want to pay the price in your taxes associated with the number of police required to crack down on all these small things.

As it is they use their judgement and ticket as they can. They cant be everywhere.

jacky4566
06-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by killramos
I also see 10's of illegally tinted windows, trucks with tires that extend well beyond their fenders, people driving without seat belts, people without DRL's or driving without lights on at night on a daily basis.

Enforcement is the problem and I am not sure you want to pay the price in your taxes associated with the number of police required to crack down on all these small things.

As it is they use their judgement and ticket as they can. They cant be everywhere.

This! I really wish instead of speed traps and Laser setups we had inspection points for all the unsafe vehicles. They do this for commercial vehicles so why not passenger?

yellowGTS
06-15-2015, 11:21 AM
You are correct....it is not an issue of manpower, it is how their time is spent.

According to CPS, having radar traps and photo radar are making our roads safer by reducing the number of people speeding. In actual fact it is the easiest source of revenue

rx7_turbo2
06-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
I can remove my hitch rack in about 20 seconds. Which I do. Every single time. I'm not sure what the rocket science is. That was one of the advantages over a roof system which is a lot harder to add/remove.

If I actually have my bike mounted, then STFU - no different than someone hauling crap from home depot with their trunk open.

Wait. So obscure license plate with bike rack and no bike, bad. Obscure license plate with bike rack bike attached, STFU.

Nothing about that logic seems flawed? :nut:

Aleks
06-15-2015, 11:43 AM
I should have gone to media when I got a dirty License Plate ticket years ago. It was during a Chinook in winter time. I wish someone would find a solution to prevent Chinooks in Calgary to help keep plates clear especially on hatchbacks. :dunno:

jwslam
06-15-2015, 12:06 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--rSXHvKKQKw/TxhWrujmD2I/AAAAAAAAAjg/i49Pqts13oY/s1600/marks.jpg

yellowGTS
06-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I should have gone to media when I got a dirty License Plate ticket years ago. It was during a Chinook in winter time. I wish someone would find a solution to prevent Chinooks in Calgary to help keep plates clear especially on hatchbacks. :dunno:

You have it all wrong - the City is only in support of bicycles because they are eco friendly and mess up the flow of traffic on our roads - your hatchback is none of these things.

Moonracer
06-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Wait. So obscure license plate with bike rack and no bike, bad. Obscure license plate with bike rack bike attached, STFU.

Your hatred for bikes and most everything continues...
Why are you even in this thread did someone with a bike rack slow your commute down recently? Why you so mad bro?

killramos
06-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

You mean the car manufacturer didnt provide you an option for automatic license plate cleaning? They are really leaving you holding the bag eh?

max_boost
06-15-2015, 12:26 PM
The first pic doesn't look that bad.

Can CPS log in the system which vehicles they have given warnings to?

Cos
06-15-2015, 01:13 PM

quick_scar
06-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The first pic doesn't look that bad.

Can CPS log in the system which vehicles they have given warnings to?

The problem with this is that people have to be pulled over twice for it. I think it should be approached one of 2 ways.
1. give them a warning but record it in the system against the driver and all vehicles they have registered. Then if they are pulled over a second time, the fine is double for blatantly disregarding the law.

2. zero tolerance from day one with tickets for everyone. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Your plate must be visible at all time, hauling bikes or not. If people choose to break the law, they have to pay the fine.

killramos
06-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Personally i don't see how these bike hitches are any different than a trailer as far as plating is concerned.

Plates cost like 20 bucks don't they? :dunno:

rx7_turbo2
06-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Your hatred for bikes and most everything continues...
Why are you even in this thread did someone with a bike rack slow your commute down recently? Why you so mad bro?

I went for a bike ride this weekend with my wife actually.

You didn't bother to address what I posted. Lets try again shall we? So a bike rack WITHOUT bikes on it, if it obscures the license plate that's unacceptable and should be a fine. However a bike rack WITH a bike on it, if it obscures the license plate, well that's ok and STFU about it.

The addition of a bicycle seems to be what determines whether this activity should be punishable or not. Good to know I guess :rofl:

For the record I don't actually believe that, which is why I chose to highlight the idiocy of it when it was mentioned.

So settle down.

Moonracer
06-15-2015, 03:15 PM

I went for a bike ride this weekend with my wife actually.

You didn't bother to address what I posted. Lets try again shall we? So a bike rack WITHOUT bikes on it, if it obscures the license plate that's unacceptable and should be a fine. However a bike rack WITH a bike on it, if it obscures the license plate, well that's ok and STFU about it.

The addition of a bicycle seems to be want determines whether this activity should be punishable or not. Good to know I guess :rofl:

For the record I don't actually believe that, which is why I chose to highlight the idiocy of it when it was mentioned.

So settle down.

Well then that is good to hear. What are the two of you riding for bikes? Where did you ride?

Seeing how you are now asking ME in particular to answer your question: Obviously they don't ticket you when you have bikes on the back as it is a very common thing hence the relaxed attitude toward it. But when you are not carrying a bike then they are saying there is no need for you to be blocking your plate with the rack so it should be removed. Just like in the winter when your plate gets obstructed by snow or is super dirty. They don't go around ticketing everyone with a dirty/obstructed plate cause that would be ridiculous.

Sugarphreak
06-15-2015, 03:19 PM

rx7_turbo2
06-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Well then that is good to hear. What are the two of you riding for bikes? Where did you ride?

Seeing how you are now asking ME in particular to answer your question: Obviously they don't ticket you when you have bikes on the back as it is a very common thing hence the relaxed attitude toward it. But when you are not carrying a bike then they are saying there is no need for you to be blocking your plate with the rack so it should be removed. Just like in the winter when your plate gets obstructed by snow or is super dirty. They don't go around ticketing everyone with a dirty/obstructed plate cause that would be ridiculous.

Rode along the river, Edworthy to Eau Claire, saw Jurassic World and rode back. Wife has an ancient cruiser that I cleaned/tuned up. I have a horrible old mountain bike whose riding position ensures my back hurts after 2-3min. I'm looking for something more comfortable. See not a total anti-bike dickhole, still a dickhole but...........

My point was the same as yours. Obstructing the license plate is obstructing the license plate, doesn't matter what, ice, snow, mud, dirt, a bike. But that's not what was posted which is why I chose to highlight it. No biggie.

ianmcc
06-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Seems easy enough. You don't even need a second plate like the Dutch.

http://www.olavsplates.com/foto_n/nl_25-xk-hj.jpg

J-D
06-15-2015, 05:54 PM
It's amazing what some people will whine about to the media. Take your damn bike rack off when you're not transporting your bike :rofl:

snowcat
06-15-2015, 05:56 PM
I know you get two personalized plates, can you get a second to affix to the bike rack?

Moonracer
06-16-2015, 08:54 AM

Rode along the river, Edworthy to Eau Claire, saw Jurassic World and rode back. Wife has an ancient cruiser that I cleaned/tuned up. I have a horrible old mountain bike whose riding position ensures my back hurts after 2-3min. I'm looking for something more comfortable. See not a total anti-bike dickhole, still a dickhole but...........

My point was the same as yours. Obstructing the license plate is obstructing the license plate, doesn't matter what, ice, snow, mud, dirt, a bike. But that's not what was posted which is why I chose to highlight it. No biggie.

Glad to hear you actually got out for a ride. Sounds like you need to change up your cockpit to make things a bit more comfy to ride. And ya I won't argue the part about being a dickhole :rofl:
I guess I better make sure I'm taking mine off whenever not in use too. I hate it when it's on anyway cause I keep having to fold it down every time I need to open the back, which is a lot now that I have a child.

lilmira
06-16-2015, 01:52 PM
One of these days someone is gonna complain about shitting in the pants.

"I got to pull them off, let go, wipe my ass and put them back on while taking selfie, are you serious? Ridiculous, pants companies should do something about this. Look at me, I got shit all over my pants."

Khyron
06-16-2015, 02:13 PM

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/4707-7972-155772.jpg

Guy bringing some drywall to his house from home depot in his f150 with the bed door open - you figure he needs to relocate his plate for the trip? Vs the guy who drives for 6 months with his plate covered up? Same to you?

You don't get the difference between once in a blue moon with purpose vs intentionally trying to hide from photos/police?

This sort of talk is what gets front plates back on the map.

(Edit: I will give you the guy driving around everyday with a bike mounted and never using it but I've never seen such a person)

max_boost
06-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Why don't we have front plates? Why did they take it away? Don't care for google. I want to hear it from Beyonders. :rofl:

jwslam
06-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Why don't we have front plates? Why did they take it away? Don't care for google. I want to hear it from Beyonders. :rofl:
Because it saves them money to only print one of each plate, especially for the f*ckers who change plates every year to avoid Impark violation fines.

Tik-Tok
06-16-2015, 02:37 PM

I believe the government saved some money by doing so.

BigMass
06-16-2015, 04:48 PM

You have it all wrong - the City is only in support of bicycles because they are eco friendly and mess up the flow of traffic on our roads - your hatchback is none of these things.

I knew people with bike racks and hitches in my office that didn't even own bikes or trailers. Only had them to avoid paying the $30/day parking. That adds up fast

rx7_turbo2
06-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Guy bringing some drywall to his house from home depot in his f150 with the bed door open - you figure he needs to relocate his plate for the trip? Vs the guy who drives for 6 months with his plate covered up? Same to you?

You don't get the difference between once in a blue moon with purpose vs intentionally trying to hide from photos/police?

This sort of talk is what gets front plates back on the map.

(Edit: I will give you the guy driving around everyday with a bike mounted and never using it but I've never seen such a person)

I fail to see how what's obscuring it and for how long makes a difference :dunno:

"Ya I parked illegally, but it was really convenient and I only parked there for a short period of time"

"Sure I stole that stereo, but I really wanted it and I stole it quickly"

"Well I guess I embezzled that money, but I really needed it, and it didn't take me long, so."

blairtruck
06-16-2015, 06:30 PM
i pack snow on my plate in the winter.

msommers
06-16-2015, 06:31 PM
If the public can get tickets for bikes mounted on a hitch mount, why do we even sell hitch mounts? Actually the better question would be, why does CPS use them if they're such a problem?

Trevor Anderson manages a bike shop called Calgary Cycle Road. He says he was driving to West Bragg Creek last summer when he was ticketed. He was carrying his bike on his rack at the time.

But, he says, he fought it — and won — by bringing in a picture of a Calgary Police van sporting a rack that covered its plate.

Normally I throw my road bike in the back but have been thinking of a bike rack from MEC since I have a hitch. Now I'm second-guessing if it's worthwhile given that some cop on a slow day could pull me over for it.

rx7_turbo2
06-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by msommers
If the public can get tickets for bikes mounted on a hitch mount, why do we even sell hitch mounts?

That argument has been used for all kinds of things. You can legally buy a Harley in Calgary, legally buy an aftermarket exhaust for it in Calgary. But if you install the exhaust you run the risk of a ticket from a city officer.

As mentioned an obscurred plate is an obscurred plate.

There's been a push on for all kinds of stuff lately. I had a buddy get dinged at the dump for an uncovered load, I saw the truck, ya it had stuff in the back, but it was all big heavy pieces, none of it had any chance of blowing out of the bed, and it was only above the bed by 12" tops.

Hallowed_point
06-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck
i pack snow on my plate in the winter. I keep my distance from people in trucks that do that as usually they don't use turn signals and drive super erratically. Wouldn't it be great to cause an accident and just speed off? Oh..it was a black truck..totally clear of snow except for the plate.

FraserB
06-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by msommers
If the public can get tickets for bikes mounted on a hitch mount, why do we even sell hitch mounts? Actually the better question would be, why does CPS use them if they're such a problem?

It comes down to officer discretion.

It's also well known that peace officers are exempt from the TSA in the execution of their duties. So Joe Public can be ticketed for obscuring his plate, but it is fine for the police to under their exemption.