PDA

View Full Version : Watches under $5K?

shakalaka
06-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Seeing that there are so many watch aficionados on here, I figured I'd come here and ask for some ideas. If one was to splurge around $5K on a watch, what sort of options would they have?

Of course it would be an automatic, I like bigger faces (44 mm minimum) and it would have to be available locally (GemOro etc). I do like the Brietling Navitimer's quite a lot but I believe they are more than $5K. If I can't find anything I like within that range, I will go higher but I would rather stick to that.

Please advise and thanks for all the help!

shakalaka
06-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Also if anyone is selling a high end watch under that range feel free to PM me.

Pacman
06-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Tag Heuer, Omega, Breitling, Oris, Fortis, Eterna, Tudor and a slew of others are going to have models in that price range, available at local dealers.

Navitimers have a unique look to them. If you want a chronograph, Tudor Heritage Chrono, Omega Speedmaster, tag Carrera, Eterna Kontiki etc are all going to be in that price bracket either before or after a discount.

98type_r
06-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Seamaster Planet Ocean XL?
46mm face in a variety of configurations.

E46..sTyLez
06-19-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm a fan of Wittnauer. I've had mine for 13 years now and I've never done anything but the battery. Still looks brand new as well...really good quality. :thumbsup:

shakalaka
06-19-2015, 03:57 PM
I like the Breitling Navitimer quite a bit however it's around $7400 at the local GemOro here. I am sure they'd negotiate somewhat but probably not $2400 worth. I will check out some of the other styles.

CanmoreOrLess
06-19-2015, 06:19 PM
I'd look at a preowned watch, let the original owner take the hit. I bought mine from Brinkhaus with a full warranty, never needed it.

PM patek.wis, he seems to have a high end watch for sale every week.

A790
06-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Seeing that there are so many watch aficionados on here, I figured I'd come here and ask for some ideas. If one was to splurge around $5K on a watch, what sort of options would they have?

Of course it would be an automatic, I like bigger faces (44 mm minimum) and it would have to be available locally (GemOro etc). I do like the Brietling Navitimer's quite a lot but I believe they are more than $5K. If I can't find anything I like within that range, I will go higher but I would rather stick to that.

My Longines Master Moonphase Retrograde was well under $5k from Justin @ Gem. I love it. :)

statick
06-20-2015, 05:34 PM
There are a lot of great options under $5,000. You can source a pre-owned Navitimer for that much. Do you have any specific criteria in mind? Is there anything specific, besides the aesthetic, that you like about the Navitimer?

Personally, some of go-to recommendations would be Omega Speedmaster 3570 (casual chronograph), Rolex Explorer 214270 (all-purpose), Tudor Pelagos (diver), a Longines not unlike Cam mentioned for something a little more complicated yet dressy, there are a few good German options if you're thinking of a flieger, Nomos is great as well, speaking of Germans... In any event, best of luck and enjoy trying all of the different options.

shakalaka
06-21-2015, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys I am looking at all my potential options. So far my needle is stuck on the Navitimer. I love the look and like the brand as well. Omega Speedmaster I looked at as well and while I loved the looks it didn't stand out to me as much as the Navitimer. I don't really know other options in the Breitling but the looks is what I like the most. Although like I said before it's a bit over $5K at $7400 but I am open to gently used one's if I can find it soon otherwise might just get a new one.

Pacman
06-21-2015, 09:18 AM
If you like the looks of the Navitimer but not the price, look at the Sinn 903. When Breitling went bankrupt in the 70's, they sold off the rights to the design to Sinn in Germany who made the 903. Now,Breitling pay's Sinn a royalty for each Navitimer sold.

They are available for about 1/2 the price and would be on par, if not better for overall quality.

shakalaka
06-21-2015, 04:01 PM
I did a quick google search and you're right it looks very similar to the Navitimer. I have never heard of the brand though, is the name on par with Breitling's, Omega's etc?

adamc
06-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Watchrecon.com -> search "navitimer"

All sorts of great used stuff. I want a vintage Navi very badly.

adamc
06-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Or if you're ever in the states, Tourneau almost always has a great used section. Found several very nice Brietlings last time I was in Palm Springs.

shakalaka
06-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Have a good lead on a Navitimer World that I think I will pursue a little before looking at other styles. Have always wanted this style and actually had an opportunity to get one from a Beyonder for a really good price about 3 years ago and I regret till this day for passing on it.

Dertz
06-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Oris. Really happy with the price, style and function.
I got TT skeleton with both bands, the metal and rubber one. Love it. I never looked up pricing before buying it and was pleasantly surprised with what the asking price was and also what I paid!
Dhalia at Jewels by Maxime's.

My Montblanc was more but still a great price for the look and detail they bring.
That was at Calgary Jeweller's, unfortunately I cannot recall the salesman's name.

flipstah
06-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Do you need the chrono function or just a 'big face' watch?

EDIT: I think the 44mm PAM 00000 is $5k MSRP...

shakalaka
06-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Flip, I think I am gonna go with the Navitimer. I am just gonna get the new one as I don't wanna risk getting pre-owned and they are hard to find in the exact same style I want anyway.

PS: Anyone notice me ignoring some people in this thread? I believe in not feeding the trolls theory.

flipstah
06-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Flip, I think I am gonna go with the Navitimer. I am just gonna get the new one as I don't wanna risk getting pre-owned and they are hard to find in the exact same style I want anyway.

PS: Anyone notice me ignoring some people in this thread? I believe in not feeding the trolls theory.

Navitimer is $5k? I thought it was double that haha.

Good choice though!

shakalaka
06-23-2015, 04:26 PM
No...I ended up spending $6500. Saved a little bit from buying it locally I guess as it was $7400 in the shops here. Plus I got the more expensive crocodile leather strap with deployment clasp and lifetime warranty at authenticwatches.com. I have wanted that watch for a long time so I figured screw it. Still regret missing an opportunity on that used one from a Beyond at $3K a few years ago but it wasn't meant to be at that time I suppose.

As a heads up for anyone else looking to buy a used watch. I had some individual called Brent Atkinson contact me to my email address and send pics of the exact watch I was looking for. References checked out and everything and I almost went ahead with the deal until he asked wire transfer. That raised red flags and cross checked the username that he said he was on WUS and found the seller with the same name and everything. Only difference being this guy was pretending to be that guy. Just be careful or you'd get jacked. Luckily, it's not that easy to fool me. lol *knock on wood*

NoPulp
06-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Congrats, post some pictures.

Ive recently started liking watches, but I can't imagine spending over $1000 on one... I'm perfectly happy with my $200 open faced automatic.

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Damn that's fast shipping, ordered it yesterday and checked tracking today and it says it should be delivered today before 12. I am freaking impressed with that. Especially cause I had the watch customized a little with the strap of my liking and deployment clasp etc. They said it may take an extra day or so to customize it before t's shipped but it's already in Edmonton. Will post pics upon arrival.

flipstah
06-24-2015, 09:44 AM
No...I ended up spending $6500. Saved a little bit from buying it locally I guess as it was $7400 in the shops here. Plus I got the more expensive crocodile leather strap with deployment clasp and lifetime warranty at authenticwatches.com. I have wanted that watch for a long time so I figured screw it. Still regret missing an opportunity on that used one from a Beyond at $3K a few years ago but it wasn't meant to be at that time I suppose.

As a heads up for anyone else looking to buy a used watch. I had some individual called Brent Atkinson contact me to my email address and send pics of the exact watch I was looking for. References checked out and everything and I almost went ahead with the deal until he asked wire transfer. That raised red flags and cross checked the username that he said he was on WUS and found the seller with the same name and everything. Only difference being this guy was pretending to be that guy. Just be careful or you'd get jacked. Luckily, it's not that easy to fool me. lol *knock on wood*

What kind of Navitimer did you get for $6500? And did you go to Chrono24 or something?

The Navitimer Cosmonaute I've always wanted sells for $7-8k used, and $10ish k new.

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 09:46 AM
The Cosmonaute is a special edition or something I think? I got the Navitimer World. I liked this over all other Navitimer versions. I bought it from authenticwatches.com it was cheaper than everywhere else and they have a July 4 sale going on as well which added the lifetime warranty on top.

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/navitimer/navitimer-world/

flipstah
06-24-2015, 09:54 AM
WHY DID I CHECK THAT SITE!? FUCK.

A790
06-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Congrats, post some pictures.

Ive recently started liking watches, but I can't imagine spending over $1000 on one... I'm perfectly happy with my $200 open faced automatic.
That may change.

My first "expensive" watch was $600. Now that's "entry-level" for my collection.

I started appreciating different types of complications, materials, power reserves, etc... next thing I knew, spending $3k or $4k on a watch was par for course :P

flipstah
06-24-2015, 09:58 AM
The Cosmonaute is a special edition or something I think? I got the Navitimer World. I liked this over all other Navitimer versions. I bought it from authenticwatches.com it was cheaper than everywhere else and they have a July 4 sale going on as well which added the lifetime warranty on top.

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/navitimer/navitimer-world/

Yeah, the Cosmonaute has a difference face that I like more. The World is a good choice though :)

Is that site legit? Their Montblanc's are more than half off! HOLY SHIT.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/montblanc-timewalker-109345.html

http://www.authenticwatches.com/montblanc-timewalker-chronograph-105077.html

Cartier Tank for 25% is decent,

http://www.authenticwatches.com/cartier-tank-solo-w5200017.html

JRSC00LUDE
06-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Yeah, is that site legit? THEIR warranty doesn't mean much, does it? Will the manufacturer warranty the watch?

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Yea the other one has white dials which I saw in person too but I prefer the black dials of this one in the watch. It's a busy watch so all black to me gives a nicer look. The prices are in USD and if the exchange rate was better I could have saved even more money!

Haha I can tell you the site is 100% legit. I placed my order over the phone with one of their operators. I called twice and two different people answered. I had to place it over the phone as I was customizing my watch a little bit. Plus can't go wrong with the lifetime warranty offer they had on the watch I wanted luckily.

I told them I was from Canada and that I was worried about the ridiculous custom charges, she told me we will declare the value of the watch $500 vs $6000. I am thinking jackpot. I just paid the duty of $41.22 to Fedex via phone and I was thinking if that's what it is for $500 value item, it would have been ridiculous and canceled out the savings on $6000.

After converting to Canadian money, I saved I think just over a $1000 from buying it locally. Of course that doesn't include whatever discount the local shops could have been able to give me, but I don't see it being more than 10% that is if I paid cash. It's what I got told at Gemoro. Even with 10% by paying cash it was coming to $7000 here WITH the inferior strap and not the crocodile leather one that I got. And of course no such thing as lifetime warranty. I bought it on my Avion so I get the travel points on top.

Finally, I paid $20 for priority shipping and it's already in Edmonton and I am expecting it to be delivered any time. The operator said before 12 noon.

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Yeah, is that site legit? THEIR warranty doesn't mean much, does it? Will the manufacturer warranty the watch?

Of course the watches come with the original manufacture warranty as well. What their warranty is that you send the watch to them and they send it to the manufacturer for you and get it back. I am fine with it as at the end of the day it's the actual manufacturer that repairs the watch and everything anyway. Lots of their watches has around 6 years warranty and so on. Mine had a special going with lifetime warranty, a $300 value added on top. Obviously I didn't complain. To be honest I didn't care about warranty anyway but it doesn't hurt to have.

flipstah
06-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Yea the other one has white dials which I saw in person too but I prefer the black dials of this one in the watch. It's a busy watch so all black to me gives a nicer look. The prices are in USD and if the exchange rate was better I could have saved even more money!

Haha I can tell you the site is 100% legit. I placed my order over the phone with one of their operators. I called twice and two different people answered. I had to place it over the phone as I was customizing my watch a little bit. Plus can't go wrong with the lifetime warranty offer they had on the watch I wanted luckily.

I told them I was from Canada and that I was worried about the ridiculous custom charges, she told me we will declare the value of the watch $500 vs $6000. I am thinking jackpot. I just paid the duty of $41.22 to Fedex via phone and I was thinking if that's what it is for $500 value item, it would have been ridiculous and canceled out the savings on $6000.

After converting to Canadian money, I saved I think just over a $1000 from buying it locally. Of course that doesn't include whatever discount the local shops could have been able to give me, but I don't see it being more than 10% that is if I paid cash. It's what I got told at Gemoro. Even with 10% by paying cash it was coming to $7000 here WITH the inferior strap and not the crocodile leather one that I got. And of course no such thing as lifetime warranty. I bought it on my Avion so I get the travel points on top.

Finally, I paid $20 for priority shipping and it's already in Edmonton and I am expecting it to be delivered any time. The operator said before 12 noon.

All I read was a giant roll of the dice. I'd buy something from them in the future if things work out well with you. Their prices post-conversion seems too good to be true though...

Please keep us posted!

JRSC00LUDE
06-24-2015, 10:13 AM

Of course the watches come with the original manufacture warranty as well. What their warranty is that you send the watch to them and they send it to the manufacturer for you and get it back. I am fine with it as at the end of the day it's the actual manufacturer that repairs the watch and everything anyway. Lots of their watches has around 6 years warranty and so on. Mine had a special going with lifetime warranty, a $300 value added on top. Obviously I didn't complain. To be honest I didn't care about warranty anyway but it doesn't hurt to have.

Ok. I only ask as I was looking at some other Tissot watches the other day and their site has a bold disclaimer stating that if you don't purchase the watch from an authorized retailer they will not warranty it. Just fresh in my mind from yesterday. :)

flipstah
06-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Ok. I only ask as I was looking at some other Tissot watches the other day and their site has a bold disclaimer stating that if you don't purchase the watch from an authorized retailer they will not warranty it. Just fresh in my mind from yesterday. :)

Aren't these sites considered to be 'grey market'?

Because you bought it online, you can't send it to a local authorized dealer for 'free' warranty work and it has to be sent back through the website.

I haven't bought new watches on a site before but that's my understanding.

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

All I read was a giant roll of the dice. I'd buy something from them in the future if things work out well with you. Their prices post-conversion seems too good to be true though...

Please keep us posted!

Haha happy to be a guinea pig. Fedex truck shows out for delivery.

Aren't these sites considered to be 'grey market'?

Because you bought it online, you can't send it to a local authorized dealer for 'free' warranty work and it has to be sent back through the website.

I haven't bought new watches on a site before but that's my understanding.

That is what I asked them and they said they send the watches to the original manufacturers for warranty work anyway. It's just that the buyer doesn't directly send them, they go through the website. The serial number is intact and is not meddled with and you sign up for the original warranty just as you would if you had purchased a watch a local AD.

If you bought it from a local AD they would send it to the manufacturer for repairs anyway, I assume. So that is pretty much the same thing, except for being able to go to an AD person and hand them the watch, you send it to the online company that is selling them.

JRSC00LUDE
06-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks for answering all the questions shakalaka, I'm unfamiliar with that territory. The watches I buy, at sub-gnote, there's no point as I like dealing with Justin/Gem but when you're up in that price territory I can certainly see the appeal. It's good to see someone's personal experience with it. :thumbsup:

Pacman
06-24-2015, 10:35 AM

Yeah, the Cosmonaute has a difference face that I like more. The World is a good choice though :)

The Cosmonaute has a 24hr dial and movement. I had one a few years ago that I sold on Beyond for 3k. It was a very difficult watch for me to tell the time on as I wasn't used to 12pm being where 6'oclock normally is. Looks great, annoying to read the time.

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Oh no problem at all. To be honest I would have loved to deal with Justin again as I bought my Hamilton Pilot from him last year but he doesn't carry these brands. And it just made little sense for me to buy it locally and pay at least around $1500 more than what I paid for the same thing. When buying the Hamilton I did some online research as well and the difference from buying it locally was only around $100. To save the headache I didn't bother ordering it online for that much. However, $1500 is a substantial amount and for me made it worth it.

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

The Cosmonaute has a 24hr dial and movement. I had one a few years ago that I sold on Beyond for 3k. It was a very difficult watch for me to tell the time on as I wasn't used to 12pm being where 6'oclock normally is. Looks great, annoying to read the time.

I regret not buying the Navitimer World for $3K from another Beyonder about 3 years ago. I decided to be 'smart' and not waste money at that time and I have regretted it since that day lol. And now I paid over the double for the same thing albeit new of course.

ercchry
06-24-2015, 11:11 AM
WHY DID I CHECK THAT SITE!? FUCK.

yeah wtf... now all im going to be thinking about all day is this

http://www.authenticwatches.com/chopard-mille-miglia-grand-prix-de-monaco-historique-168568-3001.html

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Do it! It's got 3 years of warranty! :D

shakalaka
06-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Okay guys here it is...I did an unboxing for you all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_121625.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_121909.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122126.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122234.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122331.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122403.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122445.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122600.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122826.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_122925.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/Mobile%20Uploads/20150624_123247.jpg

flipstah
06-24-2015, 03:17 PM
:love: :love: :love:

phreezee
06-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Congrats! So it's Legit! BUY BUY BUY!!! :D

E46..sTyLez
06-24-2015, 04:33 PM
That's fuggin sweet. So nice. Congrats!!!

03ozwhip
06-25-2015, 05:47 AM
:eek: :drool: uggghh I want one. next year I'll make the big purchase on one, maybe not a navi though. Congrats man.

Cos
06-25-2015, 06:56 AM

shakalaka
06-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate it! I am loving it so far. Wanted it for a long time and while I got other nice watches always ended up skipping on this one. It's good to have finally pulled the trigger on the one that I have wanted for a long time. :D

And now that you know the site is legit, feel free knock yourselves out! Honestly, I don't see the point in paying 10-25% more just to buy locally to have the ease of walking in to send the watch for warranty work instead of shipping it. Watches at this caliber shouldn't need any sort of work that often anyway. Just regular servicing which isn't covered under any warranty anyway.

ercchry
06-25-2015, 09:12 AM
My uncle dropped his pam on its face once... a hand fell off, took 6 months to get it back :nut:

shakalaka
06-25-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't believe something like that would be covered under warranty anyway. You could very easily take it to any watch smith to get that repaired. I did that to one of my watches and an Asian guy who owns a shop in downtown Calgary fixed it for me in a few hours. Although, on my watch it was the actual hour markers that had come off. I believe he charged like $50.

ercchry
06-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Yeah it was a free repair... but took forever, dunno how quick other companies work but he bought that locally and it still took that long. So one extra trip via mail isnt a big deal imo

Pacman
06-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Are the serial numbers on the back of the watch and on the movement inside?

Not sure if this still happens, but in the past, lots of "gray market" dealers would laser remove (or use acid) the serial numbers on the case and movement. That way, the manufacturer could not figure out which authorised dealer was supplying the watches.

The downside to this......the manufacturer would usually refuse to service a watch with serial numbers removed. Not a huge deal if your watch had parts that were easily accessible from a local watchmaker. However, with more of these watches moving away from common ETA based movements and into proprietary inhouse movements, those parts are not easy to get as the manufacturer won't sell them to independent watchmakers.

shakalaka
06-25-2015, 09:58 AM
From what I can tell there is a serial number on the case back of the watch among other things for this model. I am not sure about movement obviously since I haven't opened it but I did ask them before ordering on the phone if they mess with the serial number in way, shape or form and see assured me that they don't.

gwill
06-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Sweet deal. I love the looks I it. I've been building a small watch collection over the last while... Almost bought a rado watch in Jamaica that was full of diamonds. Would have cost me $8k if my friend hadn't dragged me out of there.

A bit happy he did as i didn't know anything about that maker... They were pretty sexy though.

shakalaka
06-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Rado's are nice watches, in fact I am wearing one right now. That being said it is certainly not a brand that I would spending anything more than $1K on. So in my opinion your friend certainly did you a favour.

A790
06-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Love the watch! :D

shakalaka
06-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Haha thanks and nice cleaning up the thread! I was wondering why it went to 2 pages from 3 this morning. lol

gwill
06-26-2015, 12:35 AM
Rado's are nice watches, in fact I am wearing one right now. That being said it is certainly not a brand that I would spending anything more than $1K on. So in my opinion your friend certainly did you a favour.

I quickly scanned their website again and didn't see a similar design as what I was liking... The website now didn't seem to have as many diamonds on theirs as what I was looking at. Being that i Wasn't familiar with watches then or how to test diamonds my friend probably did save me some hassle.

statick
06-26-2015, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
The downside to this......the manufacturer would usually refuse to service a watch with serial numbers removed. Not a huge deal if your watch had parts that were easily accessible from a local watchmaker. However, with more of these watches moving away from common ETA based movements and into proprietary inhouse movements, those parts are not easy to get as the manufacturer won't sell them to independent watchmakers.

From what I can tell there is a serial number on the case back of the watch among other things for this model. I am not sure about movement obviously since I haven't opened it but I did ask them before ordering on the phone if they mess with the serial number in way, shape or form and see assured me that they don't.

While Authentic Watches don't tamper with the serial numbers, any servicing under their warranty is typically done by a third party and not by the manufacturer, in keeping with the unstamped manufacturer's warranty card. In any event, hopefully you won't need any such work for another five or ten years.

More importantly, congratulations on pulling the trigger on the watch you've been eyeing for quite some time. If it peaks your interest, there's a group of us in Edmonton that together every now and again to chat about watches - let me know if you're interested. And do post a few more wrist shots, share what else you have in your collection.

Also, should we maybe not have a Beyond watch meet? There seem to be enough of us around.

flipstah
06-26-2015, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by statick

Also, should we maybe not have a Beyond watch meet? There seem to be enough of us around.

Sounds like a robbery waiting to happen.

Let's do it at a restaurant or where there are a lot of witnesses. :rofl:

rage2
06-26-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm up for a watch meet. Where's the douchiest place we can have dinner? :rofl:

flipstah
06-26-2015, 09:52 AM
Ruth Chris' or Hy's. :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
06-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I'm up for a watch meet. Where's the douchiest place we can have dinner? :rofl:

Mibz' house.

flipstah
06-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Mibz's house.

Fixed.

heavyfuel
06-26-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm up for a watch meet. I'll wear my best Fossil hahahah:rofl:

flipstah
06-26-2015, 10:48 AM
If my Hamilton makes it out of the car, I'll wear that.

Fuckin' Cal11 is a money-pit.

:banghead:

rage2
06-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Careful with repairs though, it gets expensive to fix if it breaks.

I was looking into original Heuer Monacos a few years back with the same movement, and I gave up because it was a PITA to get any repair work done on such an old movement. TAG has a vintage restoration department but it's $$$, and the best repair resources was all the way in England.

J Vair might have servicing, but they would have a really hard time sourcing any parts for a vintage Cal 11 movement. Of course, if you're lucky, you might just need a good cleanup and service to get everything going again.

If there's any repairs needed, you really need to go to a Cal 11 expert, but really, you're going to spending a LOT more money than the watch is worth. Guys like Heuerboy (who unfortunately disappeared off the internet last year) have hoarded so many parts over the years, guys like him are the only way to really get these vintage movements repaired.

Vintage watches are like vintage cars. Fucking moneypit. :rofl:
haha sorry, had to bring those quotes back up.

flipstah
06-26-2015, 11:12 AM
I should've just bought a new one. It's costing me the same now when you add it all up. :rofl:

ercchry
06-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Why even bother? You have a phone if you actually want to know the time :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
06-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Hahaha

flipstah
06-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Fuck watches. Sundial.

True hipster.

shakalaka
06-26-2015, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by statick

While Authentic Watches don't tamper with the serial numbers, any servicing under their warranty is typically done by a third party and not by the manufacturer, in keeping with the unstamped manufacturer's warranty card. In any event, hopefully you won't need any such work for another five or ten years.

More importantly, congratulations on pulling the trigger on the watch you've been eyeing for quite some time. If it peaks your interest, there's a group of us in Edmonton that together every now and again to chat about watches - let me know if you're interested. And do post a few more wrist shots, share what else you have in your collection.

I actually specifically asked them if I had to get servicing done who would do it. They told me that they send the watches back to the original manufacturers anyway. All I can do is take her word for it I suppose. But yea hopefully the need won't arise.

Yea it'd be cool to have such meets. Watches and cars are the two best things in the world so it's always fun to talk about them! lol. I haven't actually started wearing the watch yet, I will take some nicer pictures when I am back in Calgary and post them up.