PDA

View Full Version : Qulity wieners?

Robin Goodfellow
06-19-2015, 11:41 AM
The more I've learned about food production, there harder it is for me to buy a wiener to make hot dogs.

There's your basic "hot dog" wieners, which are surely disgusting. There's the ones called "Natural hot dog wieners", which are certainly MORE disgusting.

There's smokies, which are kinda like wieners but with a coarser grind. Still no telling what kind of horrors ended up in them.

How does one tell the assholes-and-toes wieners from the quality ones?

Any recommendations?

ercchry
06-19-2015, 11:44 AM
make your own? can get all the attachments for grinding the meat and puting it in the casings for those kitchenaid mixers

JRSC00LUDE
06-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Harvest brand are my go to, always have been.

http://www.harvestmeats.com/

Other than they've always been "known" for quality products, the best demonstration of that I am aware of was from a friend of mine who works at Maple Leaf Foods in the hot dog facility (Boiler maintenance guy). He was apprenticing someone who had previous work experience at the Harvest facility out of high school as he grew up in the area and as they went through the production facility tour and all that jazz this kid commented along the lines of (paraphrasing):

"I knew we made a good quality product at Harvest but I didn't realize just how much better it was. I could never eat a Maple Leaf hot dog again!".

That was good enough "real world" confirmation for me, I maintain my wiener loyalty with Harvest Meats!

For smokies (and a wide array of other sausages and products), I use a local butcher from back at home who does 100% of the slaughtering and production.

G
06-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Go to any butcher or even Spolumbo's. You'll be paying $2 and up per sausage.

RX_EVOLV
06-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Been buying my sausages from Rocky's Sausage Haus across from my office. It's on Edm Trail and just off memorial. Seems like good quality sausages.

Robin Goodfellow
06-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Awesome suggestions everyone! Thank you!

legendboy
06-19-2015, 10:51 PM
Google "how its made hot dogs" watch video

I buy my sausages from

http://www.oldfashionedmeatanddeli.com/

Can't get any better in the city imo

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 12:34 AM
I'm all about the natural casing dogs (intestine casing), they give the killer snap that you can't get with ghetto dogs.

cancer man
06-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Can't find a decent ball park frank. Toronto was the best at the Blue Jays game.
But i never seen anybody turn down a BBQ dog.

heavyfuel
06-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Here's an idea: 86 the hot dogs from the menu altogether

Aerobat
06-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Rocky's on Edmonton trail!

BerserkerCatSplat
06-22-2015, 09:36 AM
They're probably made from ground-up horse assholes, but the Polish sausages from Costco are tasty as hell and make for a great dog.

msommers
06-22-2015, 10:45 AM
I've never liked Quilty hotdogs, too much lint for my taste.