PDA

View Full Version : Data to inform Beyond's hitch vs. roof rack debate

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 10:06 AM
I live in a mountain resort town in the Colorado Rockies where people know their stuff when it comes to outdoor activities. I drove into town today, and decided to count the number of aftermarket roof and hitch racks that I saw, as well as what they were carrying. Here are the results:

roof racks: 59
hitch racks: 13

5 of the vehicles had both roof and hitch racks. If we exclude those, we have 54:8, showing that in practice among those that count, roof racks are about 8 times more common than hitch racks. That's huge.

The only cargo I saw on hitch racks was bicycles, whereas roof racks were carrying kayaks, bikes, cargo boxes, one ladder, a surfboard looking thing (?), and multiple other things I couldn't readily identify.

These data show that roof racks are far more common and versatile than hitch racks. This is interesting as it contrasts strongly with previous threads on Beyond purporting that hitch racks are superior and just as versatile. These data also show that Beyond'd vocal hitch rack proponents don't know wtf they're talking about. :D Sure one can find a photo of hitch mounted skis, but no one in their right mind would ever consider that.

codetrap
06-20-2015, 03:17 PM

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Could it be your location has something to do with your data?

No, I don't think that has anything to do with it. Roof racks are definitely far more common and versatile. Remember that basically every station wagon and SUV ever produced has a roof rack as standard equipment. I can't think of a single vehicle that comes with a hitch rack as standard equipment - or even as an option for that matter.

blitz
06-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Why the fuck does it matter?

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by blitz

great contribution, thanks! :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
06-20-2015, 05:28 PM

Because he's all pissy that everyone said roofmounts were for hipsters and the hella flush scene in Mar's thread.

codetrap
06-20-2015, 05:30 PM

Redlyne_mr2
06-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Roof racks for skis , kayaks, or expedition use.

hitch racks for bikes

There is no doubt that the hitch mounted, platform style bike racks are better and more convenient.

The roof racks for bikes looks way better but is a huge pain in the ass and isn't versatile hence why only the hipster hella flush kids run roof racks. The bikes leave the roof twice in the summer lol.

Of course roof racks are more common, there are more uses for them and the cost is significantly cheaper. They also fit on almost any vehicle where hitches won't go on everything.

What is this thread trying to prove?

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 05:42 PM
The data don't lie, roof racks are more common and versatile. I don't think the data have anything to do with location, but you're welcome to collect your own data if you like. The benefit of my location though is that roughly 50% of vehicles have racks.

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

What is this thread trying to prove?

I said in another thread that roof racks are more common and versatile, arguments ensued with photos of hitch ski racks etc. This is just solid empirical data to support my statement.

NoPulp
06-20-2015, 05:46 PM
I think factory roof racks are more common than hitches typically. However, none of this actually matters. It has more to do with the person, vehicle or whatever was cost effective/ included with their vehicle. Both options are practical and ugly. Pickup ftw, 'berta.

Redlyne_mr2
06-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

I said in another thread that roof racks are more common and versatile, arguments ensued with photos of hitch ski racks etc. This is just solid empirical data to support my statement.

You're 100% right, roof racks are more common in every which way. Whoever thinks hitch racks are more common is wrong.. I thought this was common sense. :nut:

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

You're 100% right, roof racks are more common in every which way. Whoever thinks hitch racks are more common is wrong.. I thought this was common sense. :nut:

That's what I thought too, yet there were multiple people wanting to argue about it... But now I'm the one being called "pissy". Typical beyond :rofl:

GTS4tw
06-20-2015, 06:52 PM
The data don't lie, roof racks are more common and versatile. I don't think the data have anything to do with location, but you're welcome to collect your own data if you like. The benefit of my location though is that roughly 50% of vehicles have racks.

Most people are stupid, does this data support that? I think it does.

I thought the argument was which one was more trendy and "hipster", not which are there more of, but what do I know.

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 07:00 PM
^the people here are certainly not stupid.

blitz
06-20-2015, 09:34 PM

great contribution, thanks! :thumbsup:

NP, it was such an awesome thread to begin with.

If we're going to go with popular public opinion as the definition of what's better, fast food is the best food and walmart is the best place to shop.

But in reality, I just think it's pretty sad you took the time to count :rofl:

firebane
06-20-2015, 10:20 PM
So of those 59 roof racks how many carried bikes? And how many were other equipment?

Where is that data?

speedog
06-20-2015, 11:08 PM

NP, it was such an awesome thread to begin with.

If we're going to go with popular public opinion as the definition of what's better, fast food is the best food and walmart is the best place to shop.

But in reality, I just think it's pretty sad you took the time to count :rofl:
No, it's sad that he created a thread to try and prove his point from another thread.

Counting shit, hell, I used to count all sorts of things in my regular commutes - how many lights were out on Deerfoot, how many lights I'd hit green, how many vehicles I'd see in uncommon colours (purple, orange, yellow, green). Lately it was bridge numbers and trying to figure out the pattern to the numbering scheme, which there is.

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 11:19 PM
I'm a scientist, I basically spend all of my time quantifying things to test ideas. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it's what i do, so take it or leave it. :dunno:

FixedGear
06-20-2015, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by firebane
So of those 59 roof racks how many carried bikes? And how many were other equipment?

Where is that data?

I wasn't able to collect those data unfortunately, as I was driving and just tallying roof vs. hitch racks. The cargo data is anecdotal - I'd be interested in getting the other data, but wasn't able to. I invite anyone else to collect data though.

ShermanEF9
06-21-2015, 12:44 AM
putting a 60 lb downhill bike onto a roof rack can be a major pain in the ass, but id rather that than having to mount a hitch onto a car.

Khyron
06-21-2015, 12:54 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64402414/bikes-roof.jpg

Way more common than you'd think. You have to pretty much hide the opener when you have bikes on the roof. And always be aware of drive thrus and parkades.

codetrap
06-21-2015, 09:01 AM

never
06-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
putting a 60 lb downhill bike onto a roof rack can be a major pain in the ass, but id rather that than having to mount a hitch onto a car.

What type of POS DH bikes are you riding that weigh 60 lbs?

never
06-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Does which method people use really matter? It's all personal preference combined with how your vehicle is setup. Without a hitch or roof bars on your vehicle, which method do you think people would assume is easiest to setup on the vehicle?

For me, roof racks are okay but hitch racks are way better for transporting bikes. But both of those suck compared to just using the bed of a truck. Use the tailgate and you can get lots in the back. Perfect for shuttling.

Xtrema
06-21-2015, 02:00 PM

You will find more SUVs with roof racks than hatch. It more versatile but it totally wrong for bikes.

codetrap
06-25-2015, 09:50 AM

Unknown303
06-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
So, I've been watching the last couple of days on my daily commutes, as well as in Fish Creek and Nose hills.

To date..

1 truck with a upside down boat on a frame
8 Trucks with bikes in the back, 5 of them using a tailgate mat.
23 Trucks/SUVs/Cars with Hitch Racks.
0 Roof Racks

I guess that means that roof racks are totally useless since nobody has them...... :nut: (or maybe location plays a part in your data)

On my commute to work this morning I saw 5 cars with hitch mount bike racks all with zero bikes on them, all covering the license plates...

Khyron
06-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

On my commute to work this morning I saw 5 cars with hitch mount bike racks all with zero bikes on them, all covering the license plates...

Yep now that you guys have mentioned it, I'm seeing soccer moms with racks on the SUVs with nothing on them, totally clean too.

msommers
06-25-2015, 11:47 AM
I still think hitch racks are more common to carry bikes when comparing the two. For everything else a roof rack just makes sense.

codetrap
06-25-2015, 01:01 PM

D88
06-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Well, there you have it folks! The results are in and we can thank "science"!

98type_r
06-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Did all 54 of those roof racks have gear on them?

Sugarphreak
06-25-2015, 03:09 PM

bspot
06-25-2015, 04:43 PM
I have a roof rack, I use it a couple times a week for carrying bikes.

I wish I had a hitch rack.

I'm 6'8", but the roof of my little car is still high. My wife sucks at putting her bike on the car.

My fuel economy goes to crap with bikes up there going 120 or 130 on the highway.

It's super heavy to get on and off. I hate having it on all the time because I love an open, unobstructed sunroof.

FixedGear
06-25-2015, 05:50 PM
I never said hitch racks didn't have advantages (e.g., it's easier to put your bikes there), just that roof racks are more versatile and therefore more common. :dunno:

FixedGear
06-25-2015, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Roof racks are more trendy.... not necessarily more functional. Therefore any "mountain resort town" is going to be full of them for that reason.

wrong. people here are actually doing things, and they know their stuff. i don't for a second trust the opinion of folks driving around empty in a city. :rofl:

Maxt
06-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

I'm seeing soccer moms with racks

We need pics.

codetrap
06-26-2015, 10:06 AM