PDA

View Full Version : Used Car Dealer

chathamf
06-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Hey Guys,

So a buddy of mine a couple years ago bought a used Honda Civic from the group that owns Varsity Chrysler and Automaxx...not sure who he actually got the car from. Anyway, it had low kms on it and he paid a pretty good penny for the car.

Just recently he had some engine issues and had it in a shop for some work. Turned out the engine in it was some sort of after market engine and they had a super hard time finding parts to match the engine. The guy checked the serial numbers on the engine and it didn't match the car. When buying the dealer claimed no work had been done to the car. He went and seen the sales manager and they told him they'd buy the car back from him as a trade in basically and sell him something else.

Anyone ever run into something like this before? Is there anything he can do or is he pretty much screwed?

spikerS
06-21-2015, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by chathamf
Hey Guys,

So a buddy of mine a couple years ago bought a used Honda Civic from the group that owns Varsity Chrysler and Automaxx...not sure who he actually got the car from. Anyway, it had low kms on it and he paid a pretty good penny for the car.

Just recently he had some engine issues and had it in a shop for some work. Turned out the engine in it was some sort of after market engine and they had a super hard time finding parts to match the engine. The guy checked the serial numbers on the engine and it didn't match the car. When buying the dealer claimed no work had been done to the car. He went and seen the sales manager and they told him they'd buy the car back from him as a trade in basically and sell him something else.

Anyone ever run into something like this before? Is there anything he can do or is he pretty much screwed?

Years ago??? :rofl:

Let me guess, he didn't get it inspected either...

He has had it for years, and drove it around, what does he really expect the dealer is going to do? Give him his money back? repair the car for free? :rofl:

this is called life, if he can't figure out how to do due diligence, he is gonna have a hard time.

I bet you he knew it had a "aftermarket engine" and was all like V-TEK just kicked in bro! And now that he has a hefty repair bill for it, is regretting it.

chathamf
06-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

Years ago??? :rofl:

Let me guess, he didn't get it inspected either...

He has had it for years, and drove it around, what does he really expect the dealer is going to do? Give him his money back? repair the car for free? :rofl:

this is called life, if he can't figure out how to do due diligence, he is gonna have a hard time.

I bet you he knew it had a "aftermarket engine" and was all like V-TEK just kicked in bro! And now that he has a hefty repair bill for it, is regretting it.

Yea I honestly have no idea on the real situation. Just posting what I've been told. Don't think he's big into kicking in v-tec and all that stuff. He's not a kid or anything. But yea, I don't know the real situation. Just thought maybe dealers were supposed to disclose any info like that when selling.

ScCab
06-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by chathamf

Yea I honestly have no idea on the real situation. Just posting what I've been told. Don't think he's big into kicking in v-tec and all that stuff. He's not a kid or anything. But yea, I don't know the real situation. Just thought maybe dealers were supposed to disclose any info like that when selling.

It's not your problem and you're posting for your friend over couple years of owning the car.

Seriously. What a stupid post.