PDA

View Full Version : Sony Z3+ (Z4) in Canada?

Zero102
06-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Does anybody have any info on when the Z3+ (or Z4 or whatever they are going to call it) is launching here in Canada (on Rogers specifically)? Originally it was supposed to launch worldwide in "June" without any firm date, seems to already be for sale overseas and in the US but no easy to find Canadian launch date.

Mitsu3000gt
06-22-2015, 01:38 PM
I don't know about release date, but from what I read, the Z3 may still be faster than the Z3+/Z4 due to the use of the Snapdragon 810 and the thermal throttling in the newer phones. Might be something to consider if you're hoping for a snappy new experience coming from the Z3.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/61184/20150617/watch-sony-xperia-z3-run-faster-than-xperia-z3-plus-z4-video.htm

klumsy_tumbler
06-23-2015, 10:06 AM
I have also been trying to scour Google for information on this. The biggest thing I want from the Z3+ is the uncovered micro-USB port, which will be much more convenient. My Z is on its way out, and it's time for a replacement.

Anyone know if it would be possible to buy an unlocked one from the UK to use here? The biggest concern is the bands it operates on, correct?

Tik-Tok
06-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler
The biggest thing I want from the Z3+ is the uncovered micro-USB port, which will be much more convenient. My Z is on its way out, and it's time for a replacement.

Z3 and magnetic charger work great together.

Zero102
06-23-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm a little worried about the throttling as well. I'm still going to wait for the Z3+ to launch so that I can actually try one out to decide. Plus, if I decide against the plus and just go with the Z3, it's price will surely be lower once the updated one has launched :D

Dertz
06-23-2015, 03:30 PM
I want my Xperia ARC back.

azian.advanced
06-23-2015, 04:59 PM
The magnetic charging port was the best thing Sony offered in their phones. Such a shame they decided to get rid of it in favor of a thinner phone. The phone charges significantly faster while docked to my Sony headunit than by USB. It's one reason why I may just get a Z3 instead.

I heard the throttling issue is due to the phones inability to sufficiently cool the new Snapdragon 810 CPU. Regardless, phones nowadays are plenty fast. If anything, manufacturers should focus on conserving battery power.

Tik-Tok
06-23-2015, 05:03 PM
They got rid of the magnetic charging? That's f'ing retarded, it's the entire reason I switched to Sony from Samsungs waterproof phones.

klumsy_tumbler
06-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
They got rid of the magnetic charging? That's f'ing retarded, it's the entire reason I switched to Sony from Samsungs waterproof phones.

Hmmmm..... I might consider a Z3 as well then, or maybe a Z3 Compact. Too bad Canada wont be getting the [Verizon Exclusive] Z4v variant... that QHD display would look so good!

Zero102
06-26-2015, 10:40 AM
At this rate we're not even getting the z3+, I'm not usually this impatient about phones but my HTC One M7 is on it's last legs and I'm starting to get desperate about replacing it.

spike98
06-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
At this rate we're not even getting the z3+, I'm not usually this impatient about phones but my HTC One M7 is on it's last legs and I'm starting to get desperate about replacing it.

Its happening. The Z3 has been listed as end of life with Telus. Not even referbs are available.

Xtrema
06-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I don't know about release date, but from what I read, the Z3 may still be faster than the Z3+/Z4 due to the use of the Snapdragon 810 and the thermal throttling in the newer phones. Might be something to consider if you're hoping for a snappy new experience coming from the Z3.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/61184/20150617/watch-sony-xperia-z3-run-faster-than-xperia-z3-plus-z4-video.htm

Looks like 2015 is a bad year to upgrade to Android phones. Have to wait for 820 to be released and hopefully all will be resolved by then.

Zero102
07-10-2015, 02:56 PM
One last bump hoping for good news?

azian.advanced
07-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Bought an unlocked Z3+ off ebay and did not like it.
when i opened the camera app, i immediately got the message saying "phone will restart if phone contintues to overheat". turns out that after applying the OTA system update, the performance bogged down quite a bit which was sony's way of fixing the typical snapdragon 810 CPU overheating issue.

the other big issue is that using the Z3+ while charging actually discharges the battery. in other words, you need to stop using the phone in order to charge the battery since the charger can't keep up with the power being consumed by the phone. so you really should get a quickcharge-enabled charger if you get this since the original charger is not.

after this disappointment, i picked up a Z3 from rogers, and performance is like night & day. the snapdragon 801 quad-2.5 GHz performs better than the new 810's octa-core. also, the phone actually charges while still using the phone. pretty much just gave away my z3+ to my dad and kept the z3 for myself.

Tik-Tok
07-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Yeah, Z3+/Z4 has major overheat issues. So many flaws, its no wonder they want out of the phone game, they aren't even trying anymore.

Zero102
07-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Over the weekend I finally caved and went for the Z3. Sounds like I made the right call!

Since I had to do all of my changes through the retentions department I'm still waiting for my phone in the mail, it should be here this week. Then I can finally get my HTC one m7 sent off to HTC to have the camera replaced so I can sell it.

spike98
07-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Over the weekend I finally caved and went for the Z3. Sounds like I made the right call!

Since I had to do all of my changes through the retentions department I'm still waiting for my phone in the mail, it should be here this week. Then I can finally get my HTC one m7 sent off to HTC to have the camera replaced so I can sell it.

The second you get the play store installed, test for water tightness with a barometer app. Google "xda Z3 barometer"

There has been a lot of people that had issues with its so called "waterproof" ability. I myself went through 3 Z3's before i went to a S5. If you pretend it isn't waterproof you will undoubtedly be satisfied. Just dont get it wet...

Tik-Tok
07-14-2015, 01:09 PM
I dont know how they are on a normal Z3, but i have a cruzerlite case for my Z3C that covers all the ports and keeps pressure on them so it stays waterproof.

klumsy_tumbler
07-15-2015, 09:42 AM

:werd: I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago haha. Got the Z3C. No regrets!

spike98
07-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I dont know how they are on a normal Z3, but i have a cruzerlite case for my Z3C that covers all the ports and keeps pressure on them so it stays waterproof.

As did I. It didn't matter

There is a"vent" in the landyard hole in the corner of the phone. This vent has a valve to block the flow of water in/out yet allow air for change in atmospheric pressure. This valve has been the source of many people's water damage issues.

Zero102
07-16-2015, 11:09 AM
I just got my Z3 last night and have barely had any time to play with it so far. Got it up to 5.0.2 and am working on restoring my apps. After that I'll try out the barometer app and see what happens.

spike98
07-16-2015, 12:27 PM
I just got my Z3 last night and have barely had any time to play with it so far. Got it up to 5.0.2 and am working on restoring my apps. After that I'll try out the barometer app and see what happens.

When you press the center of the screen you should see the pressure rise then drop slowly. If it drops right off then plug the lanyard hole and try again. If it still drops then the phone is not water tight. If it doesn't, the phone is water tight but the valve in the lanyard hole is pooched. In either of the two cases, id seek an RMA if you want to bring it anywhere near water.

Zero102
07-17-2015, 09:06 AM
If I press somewhat firmly it goes up like 10-12mbar then takes about 5 seconds to return to normal. Releasing causes it to go under by about 10mbar then another 5 seconds back to normal. Looks like I'm good to go!

Still not totally sure on the copper colour, but if I decide I don't like it I can trade with my wife who has the black one since she'll be putting a case on hers anyway.