PDA

View Full Version : Brought my car in for warranty work, got it back with a disconnected alarm

gyu
06-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Dropped my vehicle off at the dealership to get my trunk repainted (they outsourced the work to a reputable body shop) under warranty, got it back two weeks later and my Compustar alarm/car starter wasn't working properly.

The remote would beep when I locked/unlocked the doors but the car wouldn't beep/chirp like it should. Turns out the grounding wire was disconnected and the head was snapped off (first picture), I got it replaced and it works fine again (second picture).

It wasn't like this when I dropped the vehicle off so clearly someone was messing around in my engine bay. Not sure if this was deliberate or malicious but it seems suspicious and I emailed the service advisor I was dealing with about it. He acknowledged that no one should have touched the front end of my car and that he will email the shop about why/what could have caused this and offered a $100 credit for my next service.

What do you guys think of the whole situation?

http://s28.postimg.org/a7j2pfux9/Disconnected_grounding_wire.jpg

http://s18.postimg.org/kmnrv44ft/Fixed_grounding_wire.jpg

heavyD
06-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Well it's possible when they removed the hood to paint they wanted to lock the car doors therefore they would have to disable the alarm as I imagine the alarm also includes a hood switch.

ercchry
06-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Well it's possible when they removed the hood to paint they wanted to lock the car doors therefore they would have to disable the alarm as I imagine the alarm also includes a hood switch.

trunk was repaired :dunno:

roopi
06-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

Engine in the trunk? :D

killramos
06-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Engine in the trunk? :D

and it has a compustar remote? :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

heavyD
06-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

When I first glanced over I thought for some reason it was hood but likely there was an alarm switch for the trunk as well. Really no other reason for them to disable the alarm.

Sugarphreak
06-23-2015, 09:06 AM

skylinegtr20
06-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
My guess is it went off and they just disabled it manually as quickly as possible. They probably should have replaced the end when they finished, and likely they just forgot about it. In the bigger picture it really isn't a big deal.

+1

Tik-Tok
06-23-2015, 04:39 PM
One ground wire is all it takes to disable an alarm? :nut:

01RedDX
06-23-2015, 04:53 PM