PDA

View Full Version : Broke down in Revelstoke - options for cheap vehicle transport?

yohan4ws
06-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has some advice on getting a vehicle towed from Ravelstoke to Calgary on the cheap...

I don't have another car that can tow it (93 prelude, curb weight 2800lbs) my outlander only pulls 1500max.

AMA covers 160km so I still have 260 km to go on that, not sure the charge per KM cross province.

Any of your thoughts and experience are appreciated!

AndyL
06-22-2015, 09:24 PM
*cough* ama covers 160km per tow... Additional mileage at towers rate (about 3$/km or so)

So split it into 2 tows on 2 days ;)

Not that it's ever been done before...

sabad66
06-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Truck rental + one of those uhaul car towing things?

revelations
06-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Not worth fixing in Rev? (eg. timing belt gone)

yohan4ws
06-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Revelations, thought about that but I over revved it .. not sure if I'll have any bottom end damage, I could easily enough go out there, pull the head and replace it but what *IF* there's bottom end damage or there's something else and I can't get it going ...

I'm in for a full day driving round trip as it is and can't do a full engine swap where it sits..

Looking at $530+fuel to do it U-Haul ... Ideally, if I cold get it home for $300 I'd do it.

Fair to say right now I only paid 700 for the car and don't "love it" nor do I want to put cash into it .... the body's mint, I got a deal but have been fixing it up with junk yard parts.

AndyL
06-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Like I said... Multiple 160km tows... Day apart.

Or call sammy (250) 343-6911 - he's a good shit and the cheaper option in the parks...

Other option is to see if you can find an empty truck deadheading to Calgary... Bribery gets you everywhere...

Offroad
06-23-2015, 12:48 AM
I got a buddy who has a private shop and a mechanic in Salmon Arm.......also has a truck and car hauler ........its only 105k away tho so AMA should tow it there.......he can fix or engine swap yer car or if you just wanna sell it he may buy it if its a good enough deal.

PM me if interested I'll give you his number

403civic
06-23-2015, 01:01 AM
I have a truck with a dolly.
Will do it for $300
Pm me if interested

95EagleAWD
06-24-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm more amazed that yohan is alive and posting. I remember a ton of shit in Ask Leo years ago.

s dime
06-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
I'm more amazed that yohan is alive and posting. I remember a ton of shit in Ask Leo years ago.

Im not the only one. Awesome!

ercchry
06-24-2015, 03:31 PM

:werd: thought this was a old thread bumped by someone :rofl:

we need more stories!

Darell_n
06-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Are you sure your car didn't catch fire when it broke down? 😉 Your secret's safe with us.

yohan4ws
06-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Ok so uhh ....

If you want stories, help me get my lude home quick .... the break down escalated quickly into new friends 36 beers and 4am later, waking up to 2 toddlers fighting and screaming , someone handing me a coffee and saying " get your pants on, we got you a ride to kelowna to see your Dad and it leaves in 30 minutes " .. on hell of a hangover. Has been a while since I had a misadventure like that ...

I'm 35 now, those shenanigans just don't seem as cool any more ... well, except for this one.. basically the person whose property my preludes parked on said I have 6-8 weeks before he gets ticked off its still there heh

Whats your guys thoughts on a pathfinder with 290k making it to pull a 2800lb car on a dolly home from Revvy in one round trip ? things been a reliable hauler, shifts good in the tranny still but I'd hate to be the one to break it .... plus it belongs to my GF ...

max_boost
06-24-2015, 03:50 PM
I'm more amazed that yohan is alive and posting. I remember a ton of shit in Ask Leo years ago. :werd:

DannyO
06-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Sorry to hear man, this has always been a nightmare of mine, big breakdown far from home. Could maybe see if there are any flatbeds or hauling type vehicles at local gas stations that are heading east that could help out for a few bucks?

If you need anyone to keep Doris company, just let me know :poosie:

ercchry
06-24-2015, 04:00 PM
could try your luck posting here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/transporttrader/

Graham_A_M
06-24-2015, 09:43 PM
Fuck I'd bring my gooseneck and Silverado to tow it back if I could, but that's 10 hours from where the truck is and I am now.

Try www.uship.Com lots of people that can give you a lift back here for very reasonable rates. Well recommended. With the pathfinder, you'd do some serious damage. Car? 2800 pounds. Trailer can be 1200-1400 on top of that, unless you were to use a dolly with the rear end of the car on the asphalt, even then you'd likely be at about 3500 pounds gross tralier weight. I can see a fried tranny on the nissan in the works already if you risked it.

Edit: Although 6-8 weeks is a LONG time to come up with a game plan if you had to, just share the pathfinder with your GF until you have something solid worked out. If you can get back here that is.

Otherwise the person who the trailer in this thread that can do it for $300 is a damn good option.

yohan4ws
06-25-2015, 12:51 AM
Well, talked to a couple of people and have 2 offers to lend me their trucks.. Ram 1500 or a Yukon .. for fuel reasons i'll take the Ram.

Leaning towards u-haul auto-transport so I won't have to worry about the back end dragging... challenge is, gettin the dead heavy beast up on it ... hmm.