PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please: Aspen or Inner City

Pages : [1] 2

imranm
06-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Hi everyone

Looking for some opinions from Beyonders about my future living situation.

Here are some details:

$900k'ish budget (lots in my price range)
Family with a two year old add another on the way
Looking for great schools (public and private) and family amenities

Greatly appreciate any input.

Pacman
06-23-2015, 08:01 AM
They are building a new elemtary school in Strathcona that is going to service almost all of Aspen and the part of Strathcona west of 69th (east strathcona has Olympic Heights school).

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/schools/building-and-modernizing-schools/Documents/Aspen-Woods-Strathcona-Elementary-School-Boundary-Map.pdf

It should be done September 2016.

It's good for us, as it's 1 block away from our house.

Having said that, we are looking to move inner city in the next few years. My wife and I both work downtown and we are fine with getting a much smaller house than what we currently have for the same, or more, money.

Sugarphreak
06-23-2015, 08:20 AM

nickyh
06-23-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm walking distance to Aspen Landing so popping down to eat at restaurants is great, no need to worry about having one too many and driving back.
I'm on transit to get downtown and getting on at the end of the line ensures a seat 99% of the time, not that the train is as packed as the other line, 25 min or so to get into the core.
There will be a catholic school built k-6 about a block from my house, which the little one will go to when old enough, plus Webber and Calgary Academy and as mentioned the new public school that will be built in Stratchona so plenty of options there.

Access to the mountains is awesome, one of the reasons why we ended up moving to this side of the city

It's a nice area but my biggest gripe is the density of the communities and just how busy 85st is on a weekday, especially trying to cross to get over to Cougar Ridge between 4-5pm, and getting up the hill to turn onto 85th can grate on your nerves it's so overused. Avoid rush hour and its fine.
They really need to twin some roads around here, single lanes no longer cut it.

benyl
06-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by nickyh

It's a nice area but my biggest gripe is the density of the communities and just how busy 85st is on a weekday, especially trying to cross to get over to Cougar Ridge between 4-5pm, and getting up the hill to turn onto 85th can grate on your nerves it's so overused. Avoid rush hour and its fine.
They really need to twin some roads around here, single lanes no longer cut it.

Yup.

If they twin bow trail to the end and put in an over pass at sarcee and bow, I will never move.

Leaving Aspen is easy. The road home takes a bit more time.

A790
06-23-2015, 10:01 AM
I'd choose inner city, but I'm a sucker for them infills :poosie:

G
06-23-2015, 10:12 AM
The thing with inner city is that the houses around you are usually beat not to mention the parking issues and bottle pickers walking up and down your alley.

you&me
06-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by A790
I'd choose inner city, but I'm a sucker for them infills :poosie:

At that price in Marda Loop, you're looking at some new(er) attached homes and limited to some older detached homes, but in general, that doesn't get you much.

There's too much bang-for-your-buck in Aspen - relative to inner-city - for all of the things that make a home family friendly... Yard space, storage space, play space, etc... To match space and features, you're looking at spending (at least) twice as much in the inner city. If you're looking for a home to raise a family in, it's hard to ignore the relative value in Aspen, especially at that price level.

Tik-Tok
06-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by you&me
Yard space, storage space, play space, etc...

Yard space ?? I have yet to see a Aspen yard as big as my inner city one.

The property size might be similar, but houses up there have such a big footprint, you get no yard.

phreezee
06-23-2015, 10:18 AM
^^Plus expect to back on to neighbours in that price range. Sucks.

ercchry
06-23-2015, 10:32 AM
for $900k i'd stick to aspen, that still has you with an attached wall inner city, unless you like inglewood, but inglewood isnt for everyone and if you are the aspen type its probably not for you.

for a young family there is only a few areas i'd personally want to raise kids in inner city and you'd probably still be looking at double that price for a comparable house to aspen.

CompletelyNumb
06-23-2015, 10:42 AM
The yard size in inner city is nice. Same goes for the tree lined streets. Looks nice.

But many houses are trashy looking. Old. Narrow roads. No parking. Homeless people. I haven't seen an inner city neighborhood I liked.

Tik-Tok
06-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
But many houses are trashy looking. Old. Narrow roads. No parking. Homeless people. I haven't seen an inner city neighborhood I liked.

Yeah, Mount Royal, Elbow Park, Bel-Aire, Mayfair. Bunch of shitholes I certainly wouldn't want my kids growing up there :rofl:

imranm
06-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I am noticing in Aspen/Wentworth I can get a decent 2500+ Sq ft house on a good lot, with inner city I am getting a detached garage / duplex.

The big toss up is that my wife really wants one of those ultra contemporary houses, of which there are only a few in the SW but a tonne in the Inner City.

I work downtown but Pure kilometer wise, we are really only talking a difference of 2.5km (Altadore vs Aspen). I know the commute is a bit crazy but I work Toronto hours so I am never on the road during rush hour.

Big toss up!

Thanks!

Mitsu3000gt
06-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, Mount Royal, Elbow Park, Bel-Aire, Mayfair. Bunch of shitholes I certainly wouldn't want my kids growing up there :rofl:

To add to that, West Hillhurst is nice too, a friend of mine got a place there. Big house (~2400 SQ FT), good sized yard w/deck, green space across the street, zero homeless people, double garage, tons of parking, easy walk to the core, mature trees, etc.

There are lots of awesome inner city areas IMO.

bspot
06-23-2015, 11:22 AM
I love driving, and always have, but I will say I do not miss driving to work. My commute is less than 10 minutes, rain, shine or snow, and it adds up to so much more time with my family.

50' lot, so a bigger yard than non-inner city, but a smaller house for the same money for sure.

In my neighborhood there are 3 schools, one public, one cahtolic, one private. There is a healthy wait list for the public school, but you get first dibs living there.

Walking distance to lots of parks and the river is a plus.

"Close to the mountains" is nice, but I do that about 1 to 2 times a week on average, vs 5 times a week for work.

I play hockey, so being in the middle makes it easy to get to all the rinks.

Plus you are always driving against rush hour if you are coming home from somewhere other than downtown.

There are bottle pickers.

There are sirens.

The air pollution is worse.

There are reasons people prefer one or the other.

Stuff like walking down to the river walk to watch the Canada Day fireworks, walking to the farmer's market every week, going to restaurants or bars not surrounded by parking lots, and all the little adventures like that we find ourselves on because it's closer and not always hopping in a car make it really worthwhile for us.

I've done both, for me, right now, I have a very strong preference for inner city.

Good luck!

R-Audi
06-23-2015, 11:30 AM
While I like the new larger homes in Aspen, you really have to spend a lot to not have the back of your house look out into your neighbors. Granted Im looking at houses in a lower bracket, I hate that feeling of little to no privacy in the majority of the lots.

I much prefer a smaller house with a larger lot and yard that also happens to be closer to DT. Im currently in Windsor Park in an attached infill and recently have ben thinking about a move.. but chances are it will be slightly south to Meadowlark Park, Chinook Park, Kelvin Grove or Kingsland.

suntan
06-23-2015, 11:36 AM
You are immoral, subsidy sucking loser if you live anywhere else but inner city.

max_boost
06-23-2015, 12:09 PM
I love Altadore. :bigpimp:

bspot
06-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by suntan
You are immoral, subsidy sucking loser if you live anywhere else but inner city.

That's part of the reason I moved out there in the first place. I got like 5 overpasses worth half a billion in 5 years added to my commute living in the far NW and paid less than $2K in property tax at the time.

Now I pay about double, and got $50 mil in pedestrian bridges over the same time span :(

imranm
06-23-2015, 12:53 PM
You guys are hilarious.
I live in Royal Oak right now and as much as I love it, the prices Inner City and SW are looking as attractive as ever, so it's time to make the move to somewhere a bit closer to DT.

Neil4Speed
06-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Have you considered Varsity Estates, checks off many of the boxes you have there.

you&me
06-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Yard space ?? I have yet to see a Aspen yard as big as my inner city one.

The property size might be similar, but houses up there have such a big footprint, you get no yard.

That's good for you, but I don't think you're not comparing apples to apples. Your house is either an original on a large lot (nothing wrong with that), or worth 2x+++ the OP's price target.

The OP's looking for a new(er) build in the $900k price range. There's no such thing as a new-build, in the inner city, with as large of a lot as ANYTHING in Aspen. Just doesn't happen. At that price point, he's looking at an attached home on a ~25' lot with a rear detached garage... He might end up with 400sf of backyard.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

To add to that, West Hillhurst is nice too, a friend of mine got a place there. Big house (~2400 SQ FT), good sized yard w/deck, green space across the street, zero homeless people, double garage, tons of parking, easy walk to the core, mature trees, etc.

There are lots of awesome inner city areas IMO.

And a house like that is going to be worth at least 1.5-2x the OP's price range.

You're right; there are lots of great inner city areas. The sad thing is, $900k doesn't get you much in the nice areas and especially not when comparing to what you get in Aspen.

If money's no object, or at least less of an object, there's no question that the inner-city crushes Aspen (IMO).... But with a budget of $900k for a family home, I'd be inclined to stick to Aspen.

Rocket1k78
06-23-2015, 02:03 PM

That's good for you, but I don't think you're not comparing apples to apples. Your house is either an original on a large lot (nothing wrong with that), or worth 2x+++ the OP's price target.

The OP's looking for a new(er) build in the $900k price range. There's no such thing as a new-build, in the inner city, with as large of a lot as ANYTHING in Aspen. Just doesn't happen. At that price point, he's looking at an attached home on a ~25' lot with a rear detached garage... He might end up with 400sf of backyard.

And a house like that is going to be worth at least 1.5-2x the OP's price range.

You're right; there are lots of great inner city areas. The sad thing is, $900k doesn't get you much in the nice areas and especially not when comparing to what you get in Aspen.

If money's no object, or at least less of an object, there's no question that the inner-city crushes Aspen (IMO).... But with a budget of $900k for a family home, I'd be inclined to stick to Aspen.

Thanks for writing my response:D

blitz
06-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Have you considered Varsity Estates, checks off many of the boxes you have there.

Yup, there are areas between the new developments and the inner city. Stuff built in the 70's tend to have nice big lots, shorter commutes and schools with tons of room.

max_boost
06-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Yes correct. 900K depending how inner city. In Crescent Heights it'll get you a detached infill give or take (new build)

In Highland park get the same infill 650k with $250K ish in the pocket left over.

Mount Plesant $750K range

In Winston Heights will get that over sized lot. Reference Extraslow lol $900k same budget.

In Altadore, Beyond homes $1.3-1.5 for an infill!!!! :eek: But it's ultra modern. :bigpimp:

zooter
06-23-2015, 03:22 PM
You could also look at buying an old home, demo and build new.. Not sure how much $$ that would save you but I know a few people that are doing that.

I went through this exact same scenario a couple of years ago, granted the housing market was much different with very little inventory and prices were much higher. We ended up buying a new home in the NW with the intent to sell at some point to be closer to DT.

I found Aspen/Springbank, West Springs etc. a bit over prices for what you get and also the build quality did not seem that great. As other posters have mentioned, it's hard to find a nice 2500+ sq.ft. home in that price range that is not backing up right onto another house. So lack of privacy is an issue.

You should also look at Capitol Hill. A bit north of Hillhurst but still considered "inner city." Schools are fantastic and infills are still reasonably prices. I agree with hillhurst/west hillhurst. I have seen a few homes in the 900k range that are pretty nice.

Scarboro / Sunalta has some very nice pockets as well but is a bit pricier.

Personally, I would choose inner city and I am looking to move there at some point soon, hopefully within 1-2 years. Working downtown, being able to walk to work, ride a bike or run holds way more value to me than a bigger yard/storage space. Part of the lifestyle of living inner city is to cut down on things that require massive amounts of storage, it's just the harsh reality.

imranm
06-23-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm not having much of an issue finding product in my price range, there's tonnes out there so finding a place isn't the problem, deciding on neighborhood is more of the problem.

you&me
06-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by imranm
I'm not having much of an issue finding product in my price range, there's tonnes out there so finding a place isn't the problem, deciding on neighborhood is more of the problem.

If you like what you're seeing, there's no contest - inner city FTW.

Better commutes
Better access to more of the city
Better traffic
Better parks
Better choices for dining out
Better access to activities for children
Better access to more retail options
Less time in traffic = more time with the family

Edit - I should add that my experience and opinions are limited to the SW inner city... Crossing the river is a whole other ball game :rofl:

imranm
06-23-2015, 05:07 PM

If you like what you're seeing, there's no contest - inner city FTW.

Better commutes
Better access to more of the city
Better traffic
Better parks
Better choices for dining out
Better access to activities for children
Better access to more retail options
Less time in traffic = more time with the family

Edit - I should add that my experience and opinions are limited to the SW inner city... Crossing the river is a whole other ball game :rofl:

Thanks. Yes inner city, we're definitely looking SW. I really like Hillhurst but don't see much. More north and you get too close to 16th.

imranm
06-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Any opinions on this:

My budget gives me a house with an attached garage in Aspen.

Inner city gives me a attached house with a detached garage.

Anyone with small children have any insight on the infill side of things?

R-Audi
06-23-2015, 05:17 PM
I have two kids under 3 and we have been in an attached infill for 4 years.. no complaints at all. Not even with noise and having an attached neighbor.

We are only thinking about moving for a bigger yard...

89coupe
06-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Another vote for Aspen. We almost built an inner city home but after talking to a number of other families who lived inner city we decided that Aspen was the better choice.

Been in Aspen now since 2011 and love it.

Since transitioning to Real Estate I've shown homes all over the city and I can still say that I would choose the West side over any other area.

We have two children and I find that Aspen & West Springs have a lot of young families, making it great for children to meet friends/other children.

Separate from this thread, If I had to choose an inner city area it would be Upper Mount Royal or Altadore.

R-Audi
06-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

If I had to choose an inner city area it would be Upper Mount Royal or Altadore.

Thats an odd comparison to make... (typically)older very high end homes.. vs newer infills. Usually not in the same conversation budget wise either, ie. $600k-1.5, $1M+++++

89coupe
06-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Thats an odd comparison to make... (typically)older very high end homes.. vs newer infills. Usually not in the same conversation budget wise either, ie. $600k-1.5, $1M+++++

Its not a comparison, its simply two inner city areas that I really like.

turbotrip
06-23-2015, 05:40 PM
You guys are hilarious.
I live in Royal Oak right now and as much as I love it, the prices Inner City and SW are looking as attractive as ever, so it's time to make the move to somewhere a bit closer to DT.

if you live in Royal Oak, just add a little bit to your budget and jump across the street to the new development in Rocky Ridge :D

bleu
06-23-2015, 05:53 PM
I live in the SW innercity and it's a great neighbourhood. We have access to good schools, public, catholic, francophone and private franco boards. There are great parks and our neighbours all seem to be young professionals starting families. Perfect for us.

The commute anywhere is quick and relatively painless. :thumbsup:

imranm
06-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

if you live in Royal Oak, just add a little bit to your budget and jump across the street to the new development in Rocky Ridge :D

I know... But I want to get closer to DT and don't need a 3000+ sqft behemoth!

idriveabox
06-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by bleu
I live in the SW innercity and it's a great neighbourhood. We have access to good schools, public, catholic, francophone and private franco boards. There are great parks and our neighbours all seem to be young professionals starting families. Perfect for us.

The commute anywhere is quick and relatively painless. :thumbsup:

+1. Moved from Aspen and never looked back. The lights are mesed with the west LRT (or they were?) And frustrated the hell outta me.

Buster
06-23-2015, 08:45 PM
We love it in the Aspen area. I'd stay here.

Unfortunately, we need another bedroom for the 3rd hellspawn and we need to move closer to my wife's work in Quarry Park.

you&me
06-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Any opinions on this:

My budget gives me a house with an attached garage in Aspen.

Inner city gives me a attached house with a detached garage.

Anyone with small children have any insight on the infill side of things?

Obviously with small children, unloading them from the car and into the house is a little different in the winter (snow suits, etc) with a detached garage and an attached garage is more convenient from an accessibility standpoint, but I don't think it's enough to sway a decision either way.

Annoyingly, most attached infills with detached garages don't have mudrooms, so you're walking straight into the kitchen with kid boots, jackets, groceries, etc...

imranm
06-24-2015, 09:45 AM

Obviously with small children, unloading them from the car and into the house is a little different in the winter (snow suits, etc) with a detached garage and an attached garage is more convenient from an accessibility standpoint, but I don't think it's enough to sway a decision either way.

Annoyingly, most attached infills with detached garages don't have mudrooms, so you're walking straight into the kitchen with kid boots, jackets, groceries, etc...

Good Point! Jordan is taking us to the inner City today to go look at a few places.

Thats my biggest hold up - THE GARAGE! A two year old, one on the way, groceries, etc and then a muddy entryway and no mudroom to throw all the boots, snowsuits, etc!

Thanks again!

lint
06-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Good Point! Jordan is taking us to the inner City today to go look at a few places.

Thats my biggest hold up - THE GARAGE! A two year old, one on the way, groceries, etc and then a muddy entryway and no mudroom to throw all the boots, snowsuits, etc!

Thanks again!

Very rare, but I know of one infill with an underground attached garage. The basement extends under the backyard and there's a room under the garage itself. Would never know it from the outside.

phreezee
06-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

I was all ready to buy there until they changed the builders and jacked the prices. Average lot is $410k, the longer lots are $425k and the pie lots are $460k. You have Lupi, Crystal Creek, and Jager (no showhome/presence in the area yet). Bob at Crystal Creek is a snarky jackass. Minimum to build there is $950k and with Lupi you are looking at $1.1M. Then you go and actually take a walk along those 5 "lakes" and all you see is some disgusting looking mosquito ponds. Not the view I'd pay that kind of money for.

imranm
06-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

I was all ready to buy there until they changed the builders and jacked the prices. Average lot is $410k, the longer lots are $425k and the pie lots are $460k. You have Lupi, Crystal Creek, and Jager (no showhome/presence in the area yet). Bob at Crystal Creek is a snarky jackass. Minimum to build there is $950k and with Lupi you are looking at $1.1M. Then you go and actually take a walk along those 5 "lakes" and all you see is some disgusting looking mosquito ponds. Not the view I'd pay that kind of money for.

You will notice a lot of neighbours around the Rock Lake (Ledge) Estates area are not overly impressed with that development.

Aside from that its not achieving my goal of getting closer to Downtown or well established school.

you&me
06-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by lint

Very rare, but I know of one infill with an underground attached garage. The basement extends under the backyard and there's a room under the garage itself. Would never know it from the outside.

There are also quite a few infills in South Calgary with attached (under-drive) front garages, which to me, is the best of all worlds; easy front access, attached, access to a basement / mudroom, no garage taking up backyard space and they're often situated on a hill, so the design/layout enhances the view.

The problem for the OP is the price point...

navdeep
06-24-2015, 11:22 AM

rage2
06-24-2015, 11:28 AM
You will notice a lot of neighbours around the Rock Lake (Ledge) Estates area are not overly impressed with that development.

Aside from that its not achieving my goal of getting closer to Downtown or well established school.
Rocky View is a huge improvement in going downtown compared to Royal Oak just because of how the exits to Crowchild are laid out. Even though it's further, I'll bet it cuts 10 minutes off your daily commute, especially if you're on the west side of Rocky View.

Can't help with school though.

npham
06-24-2015, 01:19 PM
You could come move to my neck of the woods:
Garrison Green (http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15822959/5522-HENWOOD-ST-SW-Garrison-Green-Calgary-Alberta-T3E6Z3-Garrison-Green)

Not much of a yard, but you get a pretty big house, inner city and there are tons of parks nearby. Not sure about schools, but there are lots of options nearby.

imranm
06-24-2015, 02:09 PM
So I guess the consensus is split! Thanks for the advise everyone!

Now the million dollar question is is it the right time to buy a million dollar house!?!?!

max_boost
06-24-2015, 02:43 PM
It's always the right time providing you find exactly what you want and pay the current market value.

If the selling price is under the banks appraisal price, then you are on the right track IMO. If the market crashes afterwards, no one saw it coming anyway and you did your homework.

heavyfuel
06-24-2015, 07:13 PM
2 small children means a higher grocery bill, IMO Aspen makes more sense. Superstore a few minutes South and No Frills a few minutes North. Inner city pretty much limits you to Safeway and Co-op. Don't know fuck all about the real estate market either than what I casually discuss with my customers but it seems that 900k will get you further in Aspen. Plus it's beautiful and although undesirables can be found anywhere you won't have as much inner city bottle pickers and alley prowlers and the Westside Rec centre is very close. Good luck to OP and congrats on buying there.

imranm
06-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
It's always the right time providing you find exactly what you want and pay the current market value.

If the selling price is under the banks appraisal price, then you are on the right track IMO. If the market crashes afterwards, no one saw it coming anyway and you did your homework.

Good advise!

Thanks

msommers
06-24-2015, 09:57 PM
From what my friend tells me of her living there, you need a certain ego to maintain your sanity in Aspen. From an investment standpoint I think it's pretty much bulletproof to be honest.

mo_money2supe
06-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Have you considered Quarry Park? Commutes are 15-20 mins to downtown (in rush hour!) and checks everything else off your list. Good sized lots, amazing bang for your buck with property values increasing each year, good selection of public/catholic schools, BRT bussing with the dedicated BRT lanes shortly coming (there's plans for a future LRT station right in QP too), plenty of green space around for the kids, plenty of grocery stores around including Costco, and many more things to list. I live in QP and have been here since 2010 (I'm in the first phase of the residential development) so if you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM.

KappaSigma
06-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
Have you considered Quarry Park? Commutes are 15-20 mins to downtown (in rush hour!) and checks everything else off your list. Good sized lots, amazing bang for your buck with property values increasing each year, good selection of public/catholic schools, BRT bussing with the dedicated BRT lanes shortly coming (there's plans for a future LRT station right in QP too), plenty of green space around for the kids, plenty of grocery stores around including Costco, and many more things to list. I live in QP and have been here since 2010 (I'm in the first phase of the residential development) so if you have any more questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Quarry park is surrounded by sht hole neighbourhoods. Basically an oasis surrounded by slums.

mo_money2supe
06-25-2015, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
Quarry park is surrounded by sht hole neighbourhoods. Basically an oasis surrounded by slums.

And that differs from any infill neighbourhoods how? I also wouldn't compare Douglas Glen to Quarry Park any differently than Strathcona Park to Aspen Woods. Both were fairly middle-income new suburbs back in the 90s. Riverbend's another story of course, even though I grew up in the neighbourhood. It's really become run down as of late.

Sorath
06-25-2015, 02:31 AM
with your budget, i would pick up a slightly larger older inner city home thats updated inside.

win on all fronts :poosie:

inner city ftw. drive my wife to work(downtown) its 10 min in rush hour. drive to work(south end of city) also 10 mins in rush hour against traffic.

I will never live in the suburbs ever again

EDIT: Did some searching around since i cant sleep. for your price range this caught my eye. click me (http://jordanlotoski.com/recip.html/browse/details-48038938)

imranm
06-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
with your budget, i would pick up a slightly larger older inner city home thats updated inside.

win on all fronts :poosie:

inner city ftw. drive my wife to work(downtown) its 10 min in rush hour. drive to work(south end of city) also 10 mins in rush hour against traffic.

I will never live in the suburbs ever again

EDIT: Did some searching around since i cant sleep. for your price range this caught my eye. click me (http://jordanlotoski.com/recip.html/browse/details-48038938)

Thanks - my wife wants bright and shiny moving in because she is expecting and has no patience for construction (or me...!)

Jordan showed us some really nice inner city infills last night. Some amazing places if you're looking in that $900-$1mm category - but still attached with a detached garage!

killramos
06-25-2015, 08:11 AM
^ for that price range are you getting any more than 25 ft of lot frontage?

Or is it really coming down to better neighborhoods and better finishes inside?

That just seems like so much more than i paid for an inner city infill not to get a bigger lot and garage.

navdeep
06-25-2015, 08:33 AM

G
06-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by navdeep
i love the style of my house drive under garage, if you can find one you'll love it great for people with young kids

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/playaz-club3/image1.png_zpsvrst9mhq.jpeg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/playaz-club3/media/image1.png_zpsvrst9mhq.jpeg.html)

That is just building overtop of a garage? :dunno:

This is what I thought drive under garage meant?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fe/b7/2c/feb72c5ac925eca1012c3d906d3106f0.jpg

imranm
06-25-2015, 09:08 AM
i love the style of my house drive under garage, if you can find one you'll love it great for people with young kids

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/playaz-club3/image1.png_zpsvrst9mhq.jpeg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/playaz-club3/media/image1.png_zpsvrst9mhq.jpeg.html)

That's a nice setup but I haven't seen much in the area ... Perhaps due to my price range?

What area of the city are joy in?

G
06-25-2015, 09:17 AM
I sent you a pm imranm.

navdeep
06-25-2015, 09:19 AM
The garage is at the same level as my basement then i have 2 floors above it

Originally posted by G

That is just building overtop of a garage? :dunno:

This is what I thought drive under garage meant?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fe/b7/2c/feb72c5ac925eca1012c3d906d3106f0.jpg

navdeep
06-25-2015, 09:20 AM
NW calgary in the new rocky ridge development

That's a nice setup but I haven't seen much in the area ... Perhaps due to my price range?

What area of the city are joy in?

imranm
06-25-2015, 09:32 AM
NW calgary in the new rocky ridge development

Ah thanks! I am in a house in Royal Oak right now and looking to move closer to the city.

Nice look though!

max_boost
06-25-2015, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by killramos
^ for that price range are you getting any more than 25 ft of lot frontage?

Or is it really coming down to better neighborhoods and better finishes inside?

That just seems like so much more than i paid for an inner city infill not to get a bigger lot and garage.

Still 25ft I bet. The ones with 30' wide fronts are asking 1.3!

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15405179/218-9-AV-NE-Crescent-Heights-Calgary-Alberta-t2e0v4-Crescent-Heights

Rocket1k78
06-25-2015, 11:33 AM
The problem with an attached infill is you can be flipping a coin with your neighbor. If you're lucky you get another family who understands theres people beside you, if you're unlucky you get a young guy who likes to party and uses his pimp house as an after hours joint. My buddy was that asshole:rolleyes:

A detached garage with young kids is going to get old fast imo, were spoiled entitled calgarians so were allowed to bitch about the extra 20 ft walk lol

imranm
06-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
The problem with an attached infill is you can be flipping a coin with your neighbor. If you're lucky you get another family who understands theres people beside you, if you're unlucky you get a young guy who likes to party and uses his pimp house as an after hours joint. My buddy was that asshole:rolleyes:

A detached garage with young kids is going to get old fast imo, were spoiled entitled calgarians so were allowed to bitch about the extra 20 ft walk lol

I hear you on both accounts although I'm hoping if we go the infill route the budget that we're in (hoping!!!) It's a family!

mo_money2supe
06-25-2015, 02:39 PM

To the OP? :dunno: I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Sugarphreak
06-25-2015, 03:52 PM

imranm
06-25-2015, 04:27 PM

To the OP? :dunno: I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for that! QP is a bit too far out for us, I'm in a community with a 20/30 minute commute plus my wife works at the children's hospital so that would be an extra trek.

My wife and I have to drive to work so I never get to take advantage of the system.

All excellent points though!. Thanks the feedback!

imranm
06-25-2015, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
How many bedrooms are you looking for OP?

Minimum 3 with hopefully an extra one in the basemenT

89coupe
06-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Knowing your Wife works at the Children's Hospital it would favor Aspen as your community of choice.

you&me
06-25-2015, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Knowing your Wife works at the Children's Hospital it would favor Aspen as your community of choice.

What?

The Marda Loop area is right at Crowchild, or any of the northern inner city areas eliminate the Crowchild / river crossing altogether.

Aspen to the Children's involves Bow / 17th -> Crowchild... Or Bow -> Sarcee -> 16th... Either way is worse than the access from anywhere inner city.

imranm
06-25-2015, 06:48 PM

What?

The Marda Loop area is right at Crowchild, or any of the northern inner city areas eliminate the Crowchild / river crossing altogether.

Aspen to the Children's involves Bow / 17th -> Crowchild... Or Bow -> Sarcee -> 16th... Either way is worse than the access from anywhere inner city.

Yup we did the drive during her work hours, it's literally the exact same time from both. For me it'd shave a few minutes off as I work Toronto hours, so no rush hour#

msommers
06-25-2015, 06:58 PM
What about the Parkdale area? St. Andrews? Triwood?

JordanLotoski
06-25-2015, 07:00 PM
+1 for inner-city.

I have done the burbs, could never go back.

Both Aspen and Altadore will offer Imranm great options as far as a home goes. It comes down to what he wants out of his lifestyle.

89coupe
06-25-2015, 07:04 PM

What?

Crowchild is horrible during rush hour traffic.

I drove my daughter every morning to school (Aberhart) from Aspen which goes right by Childrens and it was literally a 15min drive tops during morning rush hour.

Bow to Sarcee to 16th and up through Montgomery.

I can't imagine Crowchild, it's horrendous, especially when you hit the river.

OP is looking at SW inner city or Aspen area, not Northern inner city.

imranm
06-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Traffic isn't actually that bad because I the morning she'd be going north and on the evening south, so against the rush. All valid points though!

benyl
06-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by msommers
What about the Parkdale area? St. Andrews? Triwood?

$7-900K in those areas get you a tear down. Trust me, we are looking in those areas including university heights. You can't get anything "modern" for less than $1.2 million.

turbotrip
06-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

if anybody is actually looking at building there make SURE you deal with Toni @ Lupi. A whole different league than those other 2 builders. And indeed they should call them rock swamps instead of rock lakes lol

msommers
06-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by benyl

$7-900K in those areas get you a tear down. Trust me, we are looking in those areas including university heights. You can't get anything "modern" for less than $1.2 million.

Dang that's unfortunate. Was thinking not along the hill could yield some updated places. I assume this is the case for Briar Hill and Rosedale as well?

16th ave to Shag in the morning would get you to the Children's in 20 minutes or less. I take that route every morning and it's not bad at all. Coming back that way around 5pm is definitely slower but certainly bearable.

I guess it depends how much sq.ft you think you'll need. There are some nice 3 bedrooms around the 900K mark but as everyone knows, the homes are smaller and commonly have a detached garage.

It's just my personal preference but I really enjoy the style of homes like this in comparison to what is more common is the suburbs.

http://realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15846200/2422-6-AV-NW-West-Hillhurst-Calgary-Alberta-T2N0X4-West-Hillhurst

http://realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15834804/608-15-ST-NW-Hillhurst-Calgary-Alberta-T2N2A9-Hillhurst

rage2
06-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski
I have done the burbs, could never go back.
I've done inner city, and could never go back. Am I the only one? haha

lilmira
06-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I've done inner city, and could never go back. Am I the only one? haha

You can't accelerate much until you get out of the inner city. :burnout:

Interestingly, I lived about 10min drive from work at one point. I often found myself driving extra distance just because. First world problems.

Sugarphreak
06-26-2015, 11:40 AM

max_boost
06-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I've done inner city, and could never go back. Am I the only one? haha Yes you are lol

you&me
06-26-2015, 12:15 PM
I know it's in the north (West Hillhurst), but...

It's modern(ish)
Has an attached under-drive garage
Has a good-sized, backyard
Is a block from Hillhurst pool & a playground
Walking distance to Riley Park (great for kids)
There's a developing commercial strip a black away on 19th (Dairy Lane, etc)
It would have good access to 5th -> Crowchild, or Memorial, or 19th street -> 16th

It's not perfect (strange master ensuite), but it looks like the good out weighs the bad.

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15711469/507-18-ST-NW-West-Hillhurst-Calgary-Alberta-T2N2G5-West-Hillhurst#v=d

Masked Bandit
06-26-2015, 12:51 PM
I know it's in the north (West Hillhurst), but...

It's modern(ish)
Has an attached under-drive garage
Has a good-sized, backyard
Is a block from Hillhurst pool & a playground
Walking distance to Riley Park (great for kids)
There's a developing commercial strip a black away on 19th (Dairy Lane, etc)
It would have good access to 5th -> Crowchild, or Memorial, or 19th street -> 16th

It's not perfect (strange master ensuite), but it looks like the good out weighs the bad.

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/15711469/507-18-ST-NW-West-Hillhurst-Calgary-Alberta-T2N2G5-West-Hillhurst#v=d

Something to point out that is only vaguely connected to OP's project, the reverse slope driveway on that place is going to start having insurance implications soon. Aviva is the first company in Canada to offer Overland Water (flood) coverage. Cooperators came along shortly after and others have it coming online in the next 12 - 18 months. One of the excluded scenarios though is anything with a reverse slope driveway. This will also impact the availability of sewer back-up coverage for those same properties.

So with that said, I wouldn't specifically eliminate this configuration from my shopping list, just be aware that you won't have access to the same coverage as traditional set ups.

Edit: A quick note to OP, I think you should buy whatever you can see you & your family in for the next 20 years. We were in your situation about 8 years ago and once you make this move, wherever it may be, you won't want to go through that hassle again until the kids are pretty much grown. Life gets too busy and your residence is just a staging area for the rest of your daily life.

And I think you should buy another car. ;)

imranm
06-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Something to point out that is only vaguely connected to OP's project, the reverse slope driveway on that place is going to start having insurance implications soon. Aviva is the first company in Canada to offer Overland Water (flood) coverage. Cooperators came along shortly after and others have it coming online in the next 12 - 18 months. One of the excluded scenarios though is anything with a reverse slope driveway. This will also impact the availability of sewer back-up coverage for those same properties.

So with that said, I wouldn't specifically eliminate this configuration from my shopping list, just be aware that you won't have access to the same coverage as traditional set ups.

Edit: A quick note to OP, I think you should buy whatever you can see you & your family in for the next 20 years. We were in your situation about 8 years ago and once you make this move, wherever it may be, you won't want to go through that hassle again until the kids are pretty much grown. Life gets too busy and your residence is just a staging area for the rest of your daily life.

And I think you should buy another car. ;)

Thanks Bill

Now you know why I didn't buy that new car a few months ago!

I'll be in touch!

Tik-Tok
06-26-2015, 09:16 PM
On a similar note to the thread... since having our newborn, we've been walking around our neighborhood down streets we haven't in years (walking the dog was pretty much the same loop every night). I'm amazed how much is actually going on. There's 3 complete tear downs/rebuilds, and a few houses getting 2nd stories (it's a 50's bungelow/split level area).

And since we're RC-1, none of that duplex infill bullshit. It's really nice to see this happening. Although one house has gone very modern with it's style, and is going to look pretty out of place when it's done.

imranm
06-26-2015, 10:21 PM
On a similar note to the thread... since having our newborn, we've been walking around our neighborhood down streets we haven't in years (walking the dog was pretty much the same loop every night). I'm amazed how much is actually going on. There's 3 complete tear downs/rebuilds, and a few houses getting 2nd stories (it's a 50's bungelow/split level area).

And since we're RC-1, none of that duplex infill bullshit. It's really nice to see this happening. Although one house has gone very modern with it's style, and is going to look pretty out of place when it's done.

What area of the city are you in?

zooter
07-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Where did you end up buying?

imranm
08-31-2015, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by zooter
Where did you end up buying?

Sorry to bring up this old post! Just an update.

Jordan helped me sell my house in Royal Oak, and I am moving in a few weeks to West Springs.

After weighing the pros and cons of inner city v Aspen area, we decided to go with the burbs.

For us it was becoming apparent that with a growing family (two year old, and another one on the way), that the duplex/detached garage life just wasn't going to work for our family.

Looking forward to meeting up with some Beyonders that live up there!

Thanks,

Imran

nzwasp
08-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Depending on how close you are to that school in west springs you will most likely still be stuck with the lottery for the school unless you want to shell out 15-20k per kid for one of the private schools.

ExtraSlow
08-31-2015, 08:35 AM
The school situation can't be overstressed. A lot of the inner-city schools are not full, and you can get into them without any kind of stressful lottery situation.

We live between two CBE elementary schools, and neither of them is full. One only runs a single Kindergarten class of about 18 kids, the other runs two Kindergarten classes of 16 students.
Compare that to the suburbs where you have nearly double the number of children per class, and all sorts of hassles even being accepted.

No thanks. :barf:

nzwasp
08-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The school situation can't be overstressed. A lot of the inner-city schools are not full, and you can get into them without any kind of stressful lottery situation.

We live between two CBE elementary schools, and neither of them is full. One only runs a single Kindergarten class of about 18 kids, the other runs two Kindergarten classes of 16 students.
Compare that to the suburbs where you have nearly double the number of children per class, and all sorts of hassles even being accepted.

No thanks. :barf:

Not only this, (wish i bought inner city) at weber which is a private school in aspen our neighbor just got his kid accepted into pre kindergarten which is where the kid has to start to get into a kindergarten class there. The day is 8am - 3pm costs 18k and then weber asked for a bond of 6k which is returned when the kid leaves the school (however they pressure you to donate it).

imranm
08-31-2015, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Depending on how close you are to that school in west springs you will most likely still be stuck with the lottery for the school unless you want to shell out 15-20k per kid for one of the private schools.

Definitely took into consideration...we are going the private route.

G
08-31-2015, 08:56 AM
Welcome neighbor!:D