PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car to dealership... Best place?

Canucks3322
06-23-2015, 07:36 PM
I'm looking into seeking my car to a dealership... What is the best place? Yes I know I'll get ripped but I just want to see how much they'll give me so I'll at least have a base line for selling private... I was thinking of going to Honda West only cuz their name popped up on Google, anyone have experiences to share?

I've only done this I've where Stadium Nissam gave me $20,000 for my Juke when I could've fetched maybe 21,000 privately so it was a decent trade off for convenience...

max_boost
06-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Are you buying another car from them or you simply want to know what you can sell your car for?

Have you checked black book value?

My Tribeca black book was $18K and I had it listed privately for a month and got zero bites. :rofl: I ended up trading it in for $16K at 9th AVE Auto and bought another vehicle from them. Fair deal given the circumstances they are in the business to make money.

Canucks3322
06-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Ya I don't mind taking a couple thousand dollar hit, I've looked up CBB trade in value and I would be OK with the wholesale high number but I am strictly selling my car to them....

Off topic are others finding it hard to sell their used cars these days privately?

relyt92
06-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Ya I don't mind taking a couple thousand dollar hit, I've looked up CBB trade in value and I would be OK with the wholesale high number but I am strictly selling my car to them....

Off topic are others finding it hard to sell their used cars these days privately? Truth be told you would be very unlikely to get a dealer to give you on the high end of wholesale without buying something else from them. You'd probably be looking at the very low end of wholesale pricing.

Canucks3322
06-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Damn, I was afraid of that...ya...that sucks then, I wouldn't take that deal then, I would just have to be patient on kijiji I guess...

relyt92
06-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Damn, I was afraid of that...ya...that sucks then, I wouldn't take that deal then, I would just have to be patient on kijiji I guess... No harm in checking with a few places, but with the higher km and fwd I'd guess you'd get around 5k for it from a dealer buying it.

Canucks3322
06-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Ya that's what i figure, is 163,000km really that high though?...I'm gonna have to decide if I'm ready to take that kind of financial hit or take my chances for a couple thousand more on kijiji....I love my new '07 X5 so far so I hope it's all worth it in the end. I just need this car gone, my garage is full and in front of my tiny house I have a Pathfinder and an A3 just sitting there.

jwslam
06-23-2015, 09:24 PM
If you're referring to your pathfinder, I'm still waiting for bites on my Jeep! haha

Canucks3322
06-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Man, seriously this nuts....jwslam, Maxboost, I had another guy email me about trading for my A3 cuz he was having trouble selling his Jetta, another guy came to look at my Pathy a month ago but still hasn't sold his Suburban to pay for mine, what is going on in the used car market? I've never had this problem before and I change cars every 6 months! I don't mind keeping my Pathfinder because I can use it as spare vehicle but the A3 i have no use for now...

Tik-Tok
06-23-2015, 09:35 PM
is going on in the used car market? I've never had this problem before and I change cars every 6 months!

https://i.imgflip.com/nbdag.jpg

relyt92
06-23-2015, 09:39 PM
I think part of the problem is that a FWD A3 isn't the car a lot of people are looking for either, it's a bit of a nice type car.

Canucks3322
06-23-2015, 09:42 PM
True...it is kind of a niche car, plus the black with polished rims I have on it now absolutely do not appeal to women and it is kind of chick car to begin with. :banghead:

Canucks3322
06-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Anybody have experience with Airdrie Honda?

http://www.airdriehonda.ca/cash-for-your-car-.htm

From their website..

We are buying:

Cars of all makes and models
Up to 110% Black Book Value
We're paying cash, on the spot!
Quick ten-minute appraisal
No hassle, no pressure experience. We want your car, even if you don't want one of ours!
Fill out the form to get an instant quote today!

bigbadboss101
06-23-2015, 10:38 PM
The prices seem reasonable for the two vehicles you are selling. May be give it more time? I bought our Fit from Airdrie Honda. You can give them a try. My experience with dealers is that they offer so little it's not worth selling to them.

jdmXSI
06-23-2015, 11:25 PM

Off topic are others finding it hard to sell their used cars these days privately?

It is a really bizarre market right now. Some cars are selling within days while others sit for months. I'm currently trying to get out of my MINI and have it listed on the cheapest end of the spectrum and absolutely no calls at all. Im even offering to pay someone to take over my lease if they wanted to go that route:nut:

Hallowed_point
06-24-2015, 05:56 AM
T&T offered me a $2000 trade in on my 95 mustang GT towards my 09 Si. Sold it on Kijiji to the first viewer for $4450.00. I understand that it's an old car and they'd auction it , but there was no way I was going to give away a creampuff of a 20 year old car! Well worth the tiny bit of hassle it was on Kijiji (sold in 3 days.)

Aleks
06-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Try Calgary Auto Connection.

Redlyne_mr2
06-24-2015, 08:37 AM
If you're simply just selling your car to a dealership and not buying a new car from them they more than likely won't pay you what they would if you were getting into a new car unless there is something special about your car.

Mitsu3000gt
06-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Don't waste your time with Honda West - they claim "market" value trade ins, and it's all part of the smoke that dealership blows up your ass (no haggle lowest pricing, no commission sales people, etc.). The last car I offered them got over 4 times the value in the "market" compared to their "market value" trade in offer, along with the worst price in town on the new vehicle. I sold the car myself in less than 24 hours to the first person to come see it at full asking price, and I had 6 people booked to come see it.

Rest assured, if a dealership gives you even a moderately good deal on your trade in, you are getting screwed somewhere else, probably on the price of your new vehicle. If you aren't also buying another vehicle from that same dealership, your price will likely be even worse.

If your vehicle isn't selling on Kijiji it either isn't a good sample, an undesirable model, or it isn't priced right for the condition/km. Good stuff at a good price goes fast.

G-ZUS
06-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Kijiji has been weird lately, got a jeep listed on there for under market value and still no hits:dunno:

JustinMCS
06-24-2015, 11:42 AM
People don't have money lately because of the economy and layoffs! That would definitely explain it.

Canucks3322
06-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Took it to Carsco in Airdrie, they offered me $4,000...since I'm a polite person I politely declined but asked them why, they said they could get it for 4 right now at an auction which is bullshit because my car is in near perfect condition and could easily sell on their lot for around 8-9,000 at the least. I think they fear maybe the car has tranny problems or some other big thing and they want to cover their ass which I guess makes sense from a business stand point. Unfortunately for them I'm not desperate to sell, but they couldve easily made a couple thousand off me :dunno:

redblack
06-24-2015, 12:19 PM
What's your bottom price to sell the car?

max_boost
06-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Took it to Carsco in Airdrie, they offered me $4,000...since I'm a polite person I politely declined but asked them why, they said they could get it for 4 right now at an auction which is bullshit because my car is in near perfect condition and could easily sell on their lot for around 8-9,000 at the least. I think they fear maybe the car has tranny problems or some other big thing and they want to cover their ass which I guess makes sense from a business stand point. Unfortunately for them I'm not desperate to sell, but they couldve easily made a couple thousand off me :dunno:

That's the nature of the business. They aren't desperate for your vehicle either lol

Mitsu3000gt
06-24-2015, 01:25 PM
If you put your car on Kijiji and all the usual places at a price a dealer would typically offer you, if it's a good sample I doubt it would last a day.

If you think your car would sell for $8K on a dealer lot, and you're happy to take a $2K hit, maybe put it on Kijiji for $6K? What is your absolute lowest price you would take if a dealer offered it to you?

Aleks
06-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Black book is $5-$7k on that car with those kms. Their 4k offer was about what any dealer would offer. My guess is you may get 5k at some places but it would be tough to get more without buying something from them (at a decent markup).

GQBalla
06-24-2015, 02:08 PM
What are car are you trying to get rid of? Pathfinder i am assuming

Canucks3322
06-24-2015, 02:31 PM
GQ, no I couldn't resist temptation and bought a 2007 X5 on the weekend, so the A3 has to go now, I can only comfortable afford one nice car and one beater, not two nice cars haha....my Pathfinder is also on fire sale too right now so if you're interested lemme know..

I reposted on kijiji for 8250 obo and have an offer for 6600 so far, I'm gonna do that offer if it's without the winters because I have a buyer lined up for them as well, showing it tomorrow night....

As for my bottom price right now? Hard to say, definitely higher than 4,000 haha at that price I would just keep it as a fun little spare car and maybe do some work to it like chipping it and turning it into a monster....I was hoping the dealer wouldve given me closer to 7, the high end of the black book but oh well...worst part is I turned down a beyonder's offer for 8500 a few weeks ago because I hadnt found my next vehicle yet :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Redlyne_mr2
06-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Trade value is always going to be thousands less then retail ask. You're asking $8250 but is that what the market will give you? The dealer is paying you $4000, no questions asked, as is, no headaches.

You've been getting offers for $6500 so that sounds like that's where the market is on your car. In this case the dealers offer isn't looking too bad.

They need to factor in room for a safety inspection, reconditioning, detail, advertising and some sort of profit margin.

Gone are the days of taking a car in on trade, giving it a clean and throwing it on the lot.

max_boost
06-24-2015, 07:08 PM
GQ, no I couldn't resist temptation and bought a 2007 X5 on the weekend, so the A3 has to go now, I can only comfortable afford one nice car and one beater, not two nice cars haha....my Pathfinder is also on fire sale too right now so if you're interested lemme know..

I reposted on kijiji for 8250 obo and have an offer for 6600 so far, I'm gonna do that offer if it's without the winters because I have a buyer lined up for them as well, showing it tomorrow night....

As for my bottom price right now? Hard to say, definitely higher than 4,000 haha at that price I would just keep it as a fun little spare car and maybe do some work to it like chipping it and turning it into a monster....I was hoping the dealer wouldve given me closer to 7, the high end of the black book but oh well...worst part is I turned down a beyonder's offer for 8500 a few weeks ago because I hadnt found my next vehicle yet :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

haha That beyonder should read this thread and come back and offer you 6500 vs the 8500 lol

Canucks3322
06-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Haha well I wish that would happen, he bought another car already....I'm gonna get raped up the ass on this car, I bought it for 11,000 in September, I figured it was worth 10-10,500 at the time, using vmrcanada.com which I'm now only finding that their values are a bit unrealistic....this X5 better be worth it haha I swore I would never buy a BMW but this is the only thing that has the power and looks and luxury feel that I could afford.

relyt92
06-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Yeah I guessed 5 on the high end, which you MIGHT see if you check with a few more places but I wouldn't have high hopes on getting much more from a dealer. If someone is seriously offering you 6600 it may not be a bad plan to just take it and be away with it. Except they'll say they want the winters and there's xxx and xxx wrong with the car and only want to pay 5950.

Canucks3322
06-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Ya sold it for $6,600 with the winter rims/tires...he insisted and I had no choice.

relyt92
06-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Not what you wanted for it, but better than 4k or not being able to sell it at all.

Canucks3322
06-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Wow the guy already has it back up on kijiji for $10,500 ROFL... Best wishes to him..

redblack
06-26-2015, 12:44 AM
Damn, is it a beyonder?

GQBalla
06-26-2015, 07:37 AM
damn, price gouger

sabad66
06-26-2015, 07:48 AM
LOL really? interesting.... guess people will do anything to make a few hundred bucks these days.

Canucks3322
06-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Not that I know of lol doesn't matter to me I wish him luck though I now realize as an umbiased person that that car is hard to sell given the small audience who also prefers it to be quattro.... And for the chicks who like it they hate the black rims...

J.M.
06-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Looks like it's up for $11.5k now haha wtf

shakalaka
06-26-2015, 08:14 AM
We should all offer him 5K.

Canucks3322
06-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Wow just saw that... It's also 163,000 not 153,000... Maybe he is waiting for typical low balls of 7,500 it something and then taking it?

J.M.
06-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Offer him a trade for your Pathfinder since he's looking for a SUV :rofl:

navdeep
06-26-2015, 09:31 AM
he also says he's the 2nd owner as well

Canucks3322
07-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Looks like it's not on kijiji anymore, which one of your beyonders got it for a steal haha....you're gonna love that car! Take care of it....:(

bigbadboss101
07-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Ok you sold the Audi and now you want to see the BMW and might take an Audi or TSX? Got tired of it already? It's always good to have a car and and SUV and not two SUV. There should be a marker for the Pathfinder. You can then get a beater. If I was in your shoe I would do that, and get a beater RSX, Maxima or something.

Canucks3322
07-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Well my Pathfinder is actually my beater now lol I've taken it off kijiji because I plan to get another small car... Thought the X5 was gonna be great but it just doesn't feel the same as driving a small sporty car.. Don't get me wrong I love it but it's just not me...